• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Obama announces he supports same-sex marriage

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 1 person

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find the concept of flip flopping and that it could be perceived as a bad thing quite amusing- if it is actually the result of new information (for instance my personal beliefs of the viability of research into certain areas on the occasions I ignore the blue sky research side of me can change and change often depending upon other things) even better although I can not really see a downside here.

Otherwise I think I will probably echo myself- I am not entirely sure of the need for marriage in general (although I should note the rather large difference in the ideas/perception of marriage between the US and much of Europe) but as long it affords legal benefits (although in the UK my accountant would tell me not to get married as the benefits are not that useful in many and maybe most situations* not to mention are few and far between) and other such things I do not see why it should not be allowed between members of the same sex.
Edit poor phrasing- even if marriage was a meaningless act I would still have no objection to it being between members of the same sex other than my objections to pointless paperwork.

*mainly that a married couple is only allowed one place of residence as far as tax on selling goes but two "single" people are quite free to have two places of residence with each having a primary residence.

Also somewhat unrelated link but I find it amusing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKftRlzh2RM

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i want to marry a dog now, also one of those my little ponies and my laptop. all at the same time

no seriously, i dont see why its even an issue, let them marry, shesh.
its not that hard to make marriage strictly between two human beings that are off age and love each other, for all those weird "gay marriage is a slippery slope leading to all kinds of weird shit." marriage itself is the slippery slope, why not just forbid that entirely then?

also, as far as gay parents go, there should be a general need for a parenting license for every single person becoming or wanting to become a parent. men and women, straight or gay.
cause seriously, theres so many kids growing up with unfit parents, its terrifying

also, on the note that this is calculated eleciontalk, say what? obviously, he held this back to use it for support issues, why would he not? it was supposed to be one of his aces. now, that vice president kinda ruined it, forcing obama to reveal it prematurely. thats sad. could have been used better. but oh well, now, why is that even an issue?
everything said in the months and years before an election is calculated. appart from the few times when they just fuck it up, or have it fucked up by a certain vice president. so its ironcal how republicans go and say "he's just saying that to get elected" cause they do just the same thing

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My country has really strong ties with the church, I mean, the Prime Minister and President had to discuss a few holidays with our Head Bishop in order to see if some of those christian holidays could be cut (in the end two of them will be only suspended until 2016, and then they'll go back to being effective), however there was a vote like two years ago, if people accepted gay marriage to be legal or not, and it became legal.
Religion might influence things a bit, but it's mainly up to the people and tbh, the way the US deal with it's religions is really messed up and confusing to me.

Reactions: 1 person

Fibrizo

Not Valwin
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obama's "support" of gay marriage is nothing more than a calculated ruse in order to rake in campaign donations at a time when his re-election is on the line.

Bullshit, he's supported same sex marriage since the beginning.

Yes and no

At first he did but to get votes for a while he says no and now he needs votes again so he now supports it .

Is all politics.

Hitomi163

Trophies
XP
Country
America has a lot of problems still.
We're a country that clams to have separation of church and state, but that's clearly a lie if we are still having a debate on gay marriage in the year 2012.
We claim to be free, but have a long history of oppression.
Congress is a joke.
gallery_202697_985_4809.jpg

America needs some real help. What our country really needs is a clear cut division between church and state. Religion should not play any role in government, once that happens America can finally move forward instead of being held back like we are now.

Anyone else hear banjos when they see that second pic?

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're a country that clams to have separation of church and state, but that's clearly a lie if we are still having a debate on gay marriage in the year 2012.
Congress is a joke.

America needs some real help. What our country really needs is a clear cut division between church and state. Religion should not play any role in government, once that happens America can finally move forward instead of being held back like we are now.
Marriang your first cousin is disgusting.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Congress is a joke.

It's actually kind of odd, my aunt and uncle are like 8th cousins or something like that, and they got married. It was only years into the marriage that they found out.

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congress is a joke.

It's actually kind of odd, my aunt and uncle are like 8th cousins or something like that, and they got married. It was only years into the marriage that they found out.
that about the same in my family i found that sick but they didnt know until a few year after they were married. and im hoping he doesnt flip flop again but im voting for him

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah 8 cousins who cares really? That's so so so far away. I think 2nd cousins, 1st cousins, 3rd cousins, and maybe 4th cousins is disgusting.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is this even something that needs to be supported? I dont care what a friggn 4000+ Year old book says, no where in the constitution does it actually define what marrage is, if Gay people want to be married then so be it! Its not harming society as a whole anyway, and if we are finally over the fact that Gay people exist, why is it even a discussion of letting them get married.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well now, Manny Pacquiao has now spoken out against Obama.
http://sports.yahoo....-165741476.html
I have a few problems with this.
1. Why the fuck is a boxer in Congress?
2. Reading what he has to say, it's clear that he is just judgmentally quoting something he knows nothing about.
3. This is the biggest problem, who the fuck let him in congress?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: sup nerds