"Official Xbox Podcast" to stream on February 15th, 2024

GGJ4slBaQAAVIfk.jpeg

Xbox has announced on their official social media accounts the date for their upcoming "Official Xbox Podcast", which was mentioned last week to be scheduled for this week, with rumours running rampant about Xbox's upcoming business changes.

The podcast will stream on February 15th, 2024 at 12PM PT / 3PM ET and 8PM GMT, and will feature Phil Spencer, Sarah Bond and Matt Booty talking about updated and changes in regards to Xbox business decisions going forward.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They don't have any reason to jeopardize that
Would it even jeopardize their business if they're alone in the home console market ? I don't feel like people would suddenly stop spending money if Sony « upgraded » all their fees. I'm not sure people would be willing to switch to PC or Nintendo if Sony decides to do whatever they want.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't feel like people would suddenly stop spending money if Sony « upgraded » all their fees.
Game Pass isn't going anywhere regardless of what Microsoft do with hardware moving forward. It's already more popular than PS+, and it's available on a lot more devices.

I'm not sure people would be willing to switch to PC or Nintendo if Sony decides to do whatever they want.
Why wouldn't they? PC offers a number of features to the 16+ audience that Playstation can't or won't, and Nintendo has an iron grip on kids which will only further tighten when games like CoD come to Switch 2. For all intents and purposes, both Xbox Series and PS5 are just "PC Lite," which is part of the reason console hardware is becoming redundant. Sony is reliant on keeping their software competitive more than anything.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Counter-argument is that the opposite hasn't proven true. PS5 outselling Xbox Series 2:1 hasn't stopped Microsoft from using proprietary storage and dropping physical games. Reason being that Xbox is a relatively small part of Microsoft's overall business operations and revenue. The reverse is true for Sony, with Playstation largely carrying the rest of the company. They don't have any reason to jeopardize that, especially when you consider they'll still be operating from fourth place behind mobile, PC, and Nintendo.

Chances are most people looking at a 'AAA console' will be looking at either PS or Xbox, considering that Sony is porting games to PC also tells me they don't see it as much competition as they do Xbox and maybe Switch (the latter being weaker spec so IDK if that's a factor).

Ms dropping physical is also only a relatively recent thing and may play into the rumours surrounding Xbox.

Personally, I wouldn't trust Sony if they effectively had the AAA console market to themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to proprietary storage, significantly increase prices e.g. PS+, etc. within 1-2 generations, believing that consumers will buy it anyway like they did the PS3 at launch.
Post automatically merged:

Why wouldn't they? PC offers a number of features to the 16+ audience that Playstation can't or won't, and Nintendo has an iron grip on kids which will only further tighten when games like CoD come to Switch 2. For all intents and purposes, both Xbox Series and PS5 are just "PC Lite," which is part of the reason console hardware is becoming redundant. Sony is reliant on keeping their software competitive more than anything.

I know people who simply prefer consoles, whether it be the games, simplicity, cost or they just don't think about PCs in the same way.

Given my retail experience, I wouldn't be surprised if allot of people would struggle with PC gaming e.g. understanding the difference between an iGPU/APU and a dGPU. The price alone would probably put allot of people off for a comparable experience (deletes rant about dips**** who bought cheap **** and was surprised it was ****).

I've heard rumours of Valve trying again for the living room, if they got that into retail shelves and ensure COD and FIFA are on that then maybe it might be a gateway.

Although ironically, I know of kids who want PC gaming rigs because of streamers, so years from now the tides may turn.

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: retKHAAAN and Xzi

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why wouldn't they? PC offers a number of features to the 16+ audience that Playstation can't or won't
I completely agree, I do think a PC is clearly superior in the amount of features, price, options, whatever ...

But I've known a lot of people who wouldn't play on anything else, reminds me of a DevOps teacher who told me he used to play on PC but when he got into his job, he just couldn't play on anything else than a console because after working the whole day on a computer, he just couldn't relax on something that looked like a working tool.

it's just an anecdote obviously. But that made me realize why some people would just never use a « better » device and will always prefer their « PC Lite ».

As for what the Switch 2 will offer ... Maybe, you're right. I almost forgot that it's supposed to have CoD, but I'd wait to see in what form. It still could be spin offs like we had on DS and PSP back in the day, could be really ugly or worse ... cloud :ninja:...

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Chances are most people looking at a 'AAA console' will be looking at either PS or Xbox, considering that Sony is porting games to PC also tells me they don't see it as much competition as they do Xbox and maybe Switch (the latter being weaker spec so IDK if that's a factor).
The PC gaming user base is much larger now than either Xbox or Playstation, and that's even if we're only looking at the one platform (Steam). They're porting their games and perhaps even considering day one releases for that very reason, to do otherwise leaves massive amounts of revenue on the table.

Console gamers traditionally do not care about having the latest hardware or playing at the highest resolution and frame rate. So if Switch 2 supports the same third-party games as PS5, even if they play at 720p and 30 FPS, it will still provide competition, and likely outsell PS5.

Ms dropping physical is also only a relatively recent thing and may play into the rumours surrounding Xbox.
They felt comfortable doing it because the market is now segmented and Microsoft hasn't been true competition for Sony in the last couple generations anyway. Nintendo has portable consoles all to themselves, Microsoft is dominating the subscription service market, and Sony gets the "traditional" console market.

Personally, I wouldn't trust Sony if they effectively had the AAA console market to themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to proprietary storage, significantly increase prices e.g. PS+, etc. within 1-2 generations, believing that consumers will buy it anyway like they did the PS3 at launch.
TBH I'm not sure consoles will still exist in their current form a couple generations from now. We're one major battery breakthrough away from portable systems and phones taking over the market entirely, and if Sony can slowly push their customer base toward digital distribution like Microsoft has, that reduces their overhead significantly. I'd assume PS6 will be a thing, but who knows after that.

it's just an anecdote obviously. But that made me realize why some people would just never use a « better » device and will always prefer their « PC Lite ».
In which case Steam Deck fills that exact same niche with its much-simplified interface and instant sleep/resume functionality. Should Valve expand SteamOS compatibility to more devices, PC and mobile gaming will continue to grow exponentially, taking users away from the console market.

Last edited by Xzi,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The PC gaming user base is much larger now than either Xbox or Playstation, and that's even if we're only looking at the one platform (Steam). They're porting their games and perhaps even considering day one releases for that very reason, to do otherwise leaves massive amounts of revenue on the table.

Console gamers traditionally do not care about having the latest hardware or playing at the highest resolution and frame rate. So if Switch 2 supports the same third-party games as PS5, even if they play at 720p and 30 FPS, it will still provide competition, and likely outsell PS5.

They felt comfortable doing it because the market is now segmented and Microsoft hasn't been true competition for Sony in the last couple generations anyway. Nintendo has portable consoles all to themselves, Microsoft is dominating the subscription service market, and Sony gets the "traditional" console market.

TBH I'm not sure consoles will still exist in their current form a couple generations from now. We're one major battery breakthrough away from portable systems and phones taking over the market entirely, and if Sony can slowly push their customer base toward digital distribution like Microsoft has, that reduces their overhead significantly. I'd assume PS6 will be a thing, but who knows after that.

Consoles are still popular though and Sony has said that SP focused games will be at least 1 year after release on PS, for now at least.

Console gamers also do care about graphics to at least some extent, otherwise they wouldn't have cared about new generation launches, improved graphics, etc. I also have heard people complain about the Switch being underpowered, even though it's a hybrid console which I consider excusable.

I think if we see a decline of consoles as a whole, it will be to streaming, at least in the case of home console(s). I still think Stadia messed up by their messy launch and not having COD and FIFA, especially during the console shortage. Ironically MS could potentially lose the battle but win the war via xcloud.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Consoles are still popular though and Sony has said that SP focused games will be at least 1 year after release on PS, for now at least.
The exclusivity contract for FF16 was only six months, and the contract for FF7 Rebirth is only three months. That doesn't guarantee a quick turnaround time for the PC versions because porting and optimization still take more time than that, but Sony is getting closer to not bothering with such contracts at all.

Console gamers also do care about graphics to at least some extent, otherwise they wouldn't have cared about new generation launches, improved graphics, etc. I also have heard people complain about the Switch being underpowered, even though it's a hybrid console which I consider excusable.
The 16 and over crowd, sure. That's also the crowd which is more than tech literate enough to at least operate Windows, however, and thus has the potential to be poached by PC gaming. The more they care about graphics and performance, the more likely that becomes, since there are any number of GPUs available which outperform PS5 by a margin of double or even triple.

I think if we see a decline of consoles as a whole, it will be to streaming, at least in the case of home console(s). I still think Stadia messed up by their messy launch and not having COD and FIFA, especially during the console shortage. Ironically MS could potentially lose the battle but win the war via xcloud.
Yep, that's something even Sony might start dipping their toes into with devices like Playstation Portal. Dedicated hardware becomes unnecessary if you can stream PS5 or PS6 games to any tablet or phone.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The exclusivity contract for FF16 was only six months, and the contract for FF7 Rebirth is only three months. That doesn't guarantee a quick turnaround time for the PC versions because porting and optimization still take more time than that, but Sony is getting closer to not bothering with such contracts at all.

The 16 and over crowd, sure. That's also the crowd which is more than tech literate enough to at least operate Windows, however, and thus has the potential to be poached by PC gaming. The more they care about graphics and performance, the more likely that becomes, since there are any number of GPUs available which outperform PS5 by a margin of double or even triple.

Yep, that's something even Sony might start dipping their toes into with devices like Playstation Portal. Dedicated hardware becomes unnecessary if you can stream PS5 or PS6 games to any tablet or phone.

I was referring to Sony's games:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sony-sa...h-pc-unless-theyre-live-service-games.619908/

As for the over 16s, years of retail has left me sceptical of the general public, sure there will be a subset of people who may switch from PS to PC, but for the wider user base I could still see them finding things 'too confusing', balking at the price for anything half decent, etc.

This is why I think something like a 'Steam Console' might be the most viable alternative if they get retail presence/awareness among the general public, a turn key solution which has reasonable support, particularly since Valve is one of the few companies in gaming I could see employing the 'razor and blade' model which means cheaper hardware.

Although again, ensuring games like COD, EA FC, Fortnite, etc. are usable without workarounds would be needed to help boost support. I could see 'simple' solutions like heroic being 'too complex' for allot of people, especially if it involves reading......I'm not joking, people can be that bad.

Reactions: LightBeam and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Although again, ensuring games like COD, EA FC, Fortnite, etc. are usable without workarounds would be needed to help boost support. I could see 'simple' solutions like heroic being 'too complex' for allot of people, especially if it involves reading......I'm not joking, people can be that bad.
True, but Apple and Nintendo will always be there to cater to the borderline tech-illiterate crowd, and SteamOS is only maybe one notch of difficulty above iOS for those who don't necessarily care about live-service shooters and sports games. Point being that Sony will still have competition squeezing them from both ends, and the presence of Xbox hardware hasn't actually contributed anything significant in that regard for quite some time. For that matter, Xbox consoles have been running on a barely-modified Windows 10 for the last couple generations, so the transition of its users to PC would likely be smoother than the adjustment to PS5's UI.

A small portion of Sony's user base is willing to take whatever abuse they're willing to dish out, sure, but that's the case even now before they've been handed a more dominant market position. The end of Playstation would come long before they manage to drive away everybody else, however.

Last edited by Xzi,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
True, but Apple and Nintendo will always be there to cater to the borderline tech-illiterate crowd, and SteamOS is only maybe one notch of difficulty above iOS for those who don't necessarily care about live-service shooters and sports games. Point being that Sony will still have competition squeezing them from both ends, and the presence of Xbox hardware hasn't actually contributed anything significant in that regard for quite some time. For that matter, Xbox consoles have been running on a barely-modified Windows 10 for the last couple generations, so the transition of its users to PC would likely be smoother than the adjustment to PS5's UI.

I think the end users are more complex than you think. As I said, there are people out there who want more than what the alternatives you suggest provide.

Nintendo would potentially be able to compete if they change their strategy, i.e. push horsepower more, but that would likely take another console generation and even then I'm doubtful unless the Switch 2 tanks.

You're also forgetting that hubris is a thing, without a DIRECT competitor for consumers to potentially convert to, Sony could think they can get away with it, even if it turns out consumers are fine with e.g. Switch 3 as their primary console with a reduced experience.

I'd say Xbox being based on Windows is more for developers than end users, unless MS introduces 'Xbox mode' to Windows i.e. you press a button and can have the Xbox UI appear on screen, similar to big picture mode.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
unless MS introduces 'Xbox mode' to Windows i.e. you press a button and can have the Xbox UI appear on screen, similar to big picture mode.
Honestly I think that would be pretty awesome, even more so if it allowed all past Xbox, Xbox 360 / Xbox One games that are supported one the Series consoles to be played on Windows.

Its nice that a lot of newer Xbox games work on Windows, however as someone who has a long HDMI lead connecting their PC to the TV to play with an Xbox controller, the experience could be a lot better. Especially when pressing the guide button, the interface that appears on Windows 11 is really designed to be used with a mouse / keyboard, not a controller.

Maybe if Microsoft do pull out the console market "Windows Xbox Edition" might be a thing and we will see a lot more mini PC's designed to be used as Xbox consoles. That would compliment handhelds similar to Steam Deck well also, the Windows desktop is not something you really want to be messing about with on a small device like that.

Who knows though, I'm hoping they don't stop making dedicated consoles as I do feel the Xbox experience as a whole is a lot better than anything Sony offer. I don't personally see myself buying a PlayStation if ever the Xbox did not exist as a console, its hard to explain but the PlayStation just does not interest me.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Who knows though, I'm hoping they don't stop making dedicated consoles as I do feel the Xbox experience as a whole is a lot better than anything Sony offer. I don't personally see myself buying a PlayStation if ever the Xbox did not exist as a console, its hard to explain but the PlayStation just does not interest me.

To each their own but there are reasons why Xbox has never won a console generation war and that the PS5 is selling double the amount of Series S|X's.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waits for those tears of PS5 fandweebs when they realize the console for xbox aren't going away

besides I'm tired of paying $136 for 12 mo's PS+ essential thats just pure killjoy for me and out of my budget

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think the end users are more complex than you think. As I said, there are people out there who want more than what the alternatives you suggest provide.
You're also forgetting that hubris is a thing, without a DIRECT competitor for consumers to potentially convert to, Sony could think they can get away with it, even if it turns out consumers are fine with e.g. Switch 3 as their primary console with a reduced experience.
These statements are contradictory, though. Do they want more features (complexity) for less money, or do they want fewer features (simplicity) for more money? Playstation has always landed somewhere in the middle, and so drifting too far in either direction can and has lost them customers at times. Just a couple bad decisions can be the difference between selling 100 million consoles and selling less than 30 million, especially when you're playing your hand from third place behind PC and Nintendo.

I'd say Xbox being based on Windows is more for developers than end users, unless MS introduces 'Xbox mode' to Windows i.e. you press a button and can have the Xbox UI appear on screen, similar to big picture mode.
It's more or less the same interface you get with Windows 10's tablet mode, and Steam's big picture mode is even more simplified than that for gamers specifically. Still crossing my fingers for SteamOS to gain wider compatibility, of course, but the popularity of PC gaming continues to balloon year over year regardless. From PS4 to PS5, Sony's audience is more likely to have shrunk, or at best, remained steady. It's a multimedia device targeted at 16-30 year olds in an ocean of multimedia devices targeted at 16-30 year olds.

Right on cue:

Assuming Playstation wants to be the "savior" of either physical media or exclusivity is a mistake. Every business wants to reduce overhead and increase profits, which in the modern day means pushing digital distribution and multi-platform releases as much as possible.

Last edited by Xzi,

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In which case Steam Deck fills that exact same niche with its much-simplified interface and instant sleep/resume functionality. Should Valve expand SteamOS compatibility to more devices, PC and mobile gaming will continue to grow exponentially, taking users away from the console market.
Hmm yeah that's probably quite true. I say probably because I don't own a Steam Deck and I don't know how much simpler it is to use. I still do think that most people would stick to what they know, with the exclusives they have and the more powerful hardware that a handheld just can't have. I could be wrong but only time will tell.

Also, I was thinking that they're probably doing a podcast because the rumors were from past week I think ? So maybe they felt the need to respond pretty urgently. I don't think they could have done a proper presentation in just a week, a podcast seems much easier to prepare. That's just my game theory

I could see 'simple' solutions like heroic being 'too complex' for allot of people, especially if it involves reading......I'm not joking, people can be that bad.
As a guy who worked in IT support : yes. When people say that something is too complex, it means that they just don't want to engage with what they have in their hands. They just want it to function, period. Clicking on things to make a game work ? Nah too complicated, make it work right now.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Also, I was thinking that they're probably doing a podcast because the rumors were from past week I think ? So maybe they felt the need to respond pretty urgently. I don't think they could have done a proper presentation in just a week, a podcast seems much easier to prepare. That's just my game theory
Yeah they're definitely feeling pressured to respond to the rumors, but I don't think their response will be sufficient enough to fully put those rumors to rest. Then again, there are also rumors the next Xbox will essentially be a portable PC like Steam Deck, so perhaps they'll take the opportunity to tip their hand in that regard.

Reactions: LightBeam

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
These statements are contradictory, though. Do they want more features (complexity) for less money, or do they want fewer features (simplicity) for more money? Playstation has always landed somewhere in the middle, and so drifting too far in either direction can and has lost them customers at times. Just a couple bad decisions can be the difference between selling 100 million consoles and selling less than 30 million, especially when you're playing your hand from third place behind PC and Nintendo.

It's more or less the same interface you get with Windows 10's tablet mode, and Steam's big picture mode is even more simplified than that for gamers specifically. Still crossing my fingers for SteamOS to gain wider compatibility, of course, but the popularity of PC gaming continues to balloon year over year regardless. From PS4 to PS5, Sony's audience is more likely to have shrunk, or at best, remained steady. It's a multimedia device targeted at 16-30 year olds in an ocean of multimedia devices targeted at 16-30 year olds.

Right on cue:

Assuming Playstation wants to be the "savior" of either physical media or exclusivity is a mistake. Every business wants to reduce overhead and increase profits, which in the modern day means pushing digital distribution and multi-platform releases as much as possible.

The reason for the 'contradictory' statement is that is that ultimately I'm speculating on what I think consumers want and it could turn out I am wrong, that said I think it's having a competitor that has an equal in terms of both simplicity and capability that will keep Sony in check.

PC has always been some weird 'neutral zone', so I'm curious if they'll bring their exclusives to Xbox and Switch.

I'm actually surprised that Sony made the PS5 Slim SKU with a physical drive included, would have thought they'd just have the DD only console and rely on people buying the addon if they want it, which could potentially push people towards digital.

As a guy who worked in IT support : yes. When people say that something is too complex, it means that they just don't want to engage with what they have in their hands. They just want it to function, period. Clicking on things to make a game work ? Nah too complicated, make it work right now.

Try retail, sometimes I feel like my customers need an automatic ass wiping machine.

• Haha
Reactions: LightBeam and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually surprised that Sony made the PS5 Slim SKU with a physical drive included, would have thought they'd just have the DD only console and rely on people buying the addon if they want it, which could potentially push people towards digital.
Yeah, they have to be somewhat subtle and gradual about it, otherwise they risk major backlash because the vast majority of their sales currently come from physical games. Porting their games to PC is helpful to that overall strategy, since that's a customer base already comfortable with digital distribution.

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Xbox
2) Xbox 360
3) Xbox One
4) Xbox Series X/S

So the next one could be "Xbox 5" and it'd be fine because none of the names make any sense, and "Xbox 5" would at least make some sense at least. 😆

Anyway, talking about stop making consoles that might well happen in the near future. PS6 / Xbox 5 could be the last true consoles and then it'll be only streaming as that's where it's heading.

That guy makes very valid points even if people don't like to admit it.

Yes consoles are on the decline, but it doesn't have to be that way. Damn you Sam Altman and Phil "Asinine douche-bag dipshit" Spencer. Ditto for Sony choosing to restructure to the San Francisco Bay area in the mid-late 2010s.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol