Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I'll repeat something very important that I picked up during my experience with adapters, I've worked with lots of OLEDs like you and all but all the returns have always and only been caused by a short with dat1 and never, I repeat, never due to disconnection from dat0 regardless of the adapter used . OATO DAT0 v1 v5-6 black small black large etc etc
How do you know its shorted with D1? Unless you had a way to probe it you have no proof.

If you're using an adapter like this and have issues I can guarantee you the flux residing under the chip is what is causing your problem, where its shortening is irrelevant.

Last edited by Hassal,
Reactions: snaker

LuigiGad

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How do you know its shorted with D1? Unless you had a way to probe it you have no proof.

If you're using an adapter like this and have issues I can guarantee you the flux residing under the chip is what is causing your problem, where its shortening is irrelevant.
the only point that can short the dat0 is the dat1 on the left as on the right is an NC. If you are referring to the factory flux used for the first installation of the emmc, I don't think there is any after all the cleaning steps in the factory. The photo you posted, however, is of the clean pitches without the ball, so they seem well spaced out, but in reality this is not the case. All the oled indents that I have had by mistake on the dat0 I have always carried out instrumental verification with tester and always had double value compared to the norm indicating the short circuit of the dat0 and not disconnection

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
the only point that can short the dat0 is the dat1 on the left as on the right is an NC. If you are referring to the factory flux used for the first installation of the emmc, I don't think there is any after all the cleaning steps in the factory. The photo you posted, however, is of the clean pitches without the ball, so they seem well spaced out, but in reality this is not the case. All the oled indents that I have had by mistake on the dat0 I have always carried out instrumental verification with tester and always had double value compared to the norm indicating the short circuit of the dat0 and not disconnection
I meant flux that may be introduced later. Factory would be unlikely or small it wouldn't even matter.

All these point have potential to short so your assumption that short is happening with only D1 is wrong.
adapt.png

LuigiGad

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I meant flux that may be introduced later. Factory would be unlikely or small it wouldn't even matter.

All these point have potential to short so your assumption that short is happening with only D1 is wrong.
View attachment 425963
No flux either on the adapter or under the eMMC. It's hard to make shorts beyond DAT1

Attachments

• emmc short.jpg
    emmc short.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 6

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
No flux either on the adapter or under the eMMC. It's hard to make shorts beyond DAT1
I didn't even refer to that adapter. The adapter I use and referring to is only this type. And I don't know why that guy is getting butthurt whenever I speak, if you don't like what I say you can just move along.
IMG_20230722_163929_1.jpg

Reactions: snaker

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Seems like i bought a wrong size connector. I have never used tiny before but look at its picture i can see it relatively smaller. At least it is 8 pins.

Attachments

• IMG_20240316_100840.jpg
    IMG_20240316_100840.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 11

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Seems like i bought a wrong size connector. I have never used tiny before but look at its picture i can see it relatively smaller. At least it is 8 pins.
Just remove it after programming. It's not really required to have the connector in place.

We're you able to locate all components? Or you want some kind of a map to help?

ArnoNuehm

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The solution is to change resistors 100%
It’s the most common problem and there is LOTS of post about not being able to boot ofw.

The resistors is there to keep the electric noise low, thats why it wont work when the modchip is active. To much electric inteference.
Change them and it’s going to work.

Regarding why it wont glitch sometimes is your install.
Show us some pictures of your soldering and maybe we could pinpoint the problem.

Update from me:

After a Time my Switch did not glitch at all - DAT-0-Error as previously mentioned, but now always. So i did the following:

I changed the 2 Resistors to 100 OHM on my Picofly-Chip and relocated my DAT-0 Cable. I previously had it located near the Gamecard-Insert - the Cable got broken, so that was my Issue with the DAT0-Error. I measured the DAT-0 Point again on the Adapter - it´s how it should be (see Picture).

Since i did not find my specific Chip-Design in the Thread where they were discussing the Issues with the China-Clones I measured the Resistors on my Chip and checked the Values and replaced the 2 47 OHM Resistors with 100 OHM. I attached everything again - tried to boot - the Glitch worked (NO-SD-Card Screen). When pressing both Volume-Buttons it did NOT Boot to OFW. After Inserting my SD-Card it booted to HEKATE. From there I can boot to EmuNAND. I can not boot to SysNAND or to the OFW from Hekate - i get a really strange Error ("Pkg2 read failed. Failed to launch HOS") (see Pictures). I definetly did NOT have this Issue before. Before when i tried to boot OFW or SYSNAND from Hekate the Screen simply went black.

So what did i wrong now :blink:

Attached are Files from my resoldering.

I´m being honest with you all - I´m fed up with my Chip. I know it´s 100% my fault for buying this Clone and i think I will simply use the Switch as it is - EMUNAND works.

Anyone any Ideas on my Problem(s) ? Is there simply a Chip buyable where my FLEX-Cables Fit so i can simply change my Chip to a working one ?

Attachments

• Resistors resoldered.jpg
    Resistors resoldered.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 12
  • HEKATE Error.jpg
    HEKATE Error.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • EMMC Benchmark.jpg
    EMMC Benchmark.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • DAT-0 Point.jpg
    DAT-0 Point.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Chip before resoldering.jpg
    Chip before resoldering.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 10

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I have the 2002-3540 error on a v2 sysnand and changed both dat0 and cmd resistors with 100ohm 0402 resistors but I am still getting the same error. Anyone had that before?

with what chip
Post automatically merged:

Update from me:

After a Time my Switch did not glitch at all - DAT-0-Error as previously mentioned, but now always. So i did the following:

I changed the 2 Resistors to 100 OHM on my Picofly-Chip and relocated my DAT-0 Cable. I previously had it located near the Gamecard-Insert - the Cable got broken, so that was my Issue with the DAT0-Error. I measured the DAT-0 Point again on the Adapter - it´s how it should be (see Picture).

Since i did not find my specific Chip-Design in the Thread where they were discussing the Issues with the China-Clones I measured the Resistors on my Chip and checked the Values and replaced the 2 47 OHM Resistors with 100 OHM. I attached everything again - tried to boot - the Glitch worked (NO-SD-Card Screen). When pressing both Volume-Buttons it did NOT Boot to OFW. After Inserting my SD-Card it booted to HEKATE. From there I can boot to EmuNAND. I can not boot to SysNAND or to the OFW from Hekate - i get a really strange Error ("Pkg2 read failed. Failed to launch HOS") (see Pictures). I definetly did NOT have this Issue before. Before when i tried to boot OFW or SYSNAND from Hekate the Screen simply went black.

So what did i wrong now :blink:

Attached are Files from my resoldering.

I´m being honest with you all - I´m fed up with my Chip. I know it´s 100% my fault for buying this Clone and i think I will simply use the Switch as it is - EMUNAND works.

Anyone any Ideas on my Problem(s) ? Is there simply a Chip buyable where my FLEX-Cables Fit so i can simply change my Chip to a working one ?

The flex cables are possibly part of the problem, so no. Clone chips are garbage, simply put.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
However, that's not the case, I still get returns from customers one year later and every time when I lift the adapter there's always sticky flux top and bottom of the adapter which is impossible to clean.
You might have a flux that melts at very low temperatures.
The label will show the activation temperature (something like 125C) but before that, it will already have liquified.
Some flux (including proper brands) will start to get liquid at 50 degrees Celcius.
That might be moving around inside the Switch as such temperatures are not uncommon.

I saw some repair guy just putting boards in an ultrasonic bath with isopropyal alcohol.
But for that you need to completely remove the board.

Caroexe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
with what chip

The flex cables are possibly part of the problem, so no. Clone chips are garbage, simply put.
Hwfly Rp2040 v5 for v2 switch from aliexpress. Probably a clone I guess?
btw not I get error 2002-5055 instead of 2002-3540 when trying to reset the console in OFW.

Edit:

I disabled emuMMC and tried again to reset OFW, this time the it was almos 90% completed when I got error 2002-3540 again.

Last edited by Caroexe,

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Hwfly Rp2040 v5 for v2 switch from aliexpress. Probably a clone I guess?
btw not I get error 2002-5055 instead of 2002-3540 when trying to reset the console in OFW.

Edit:

I disabled emuMMC and tried again to reset OFW, this time the it was almos 90% completed when I got error 2002-3540 again.

Same as usual then. Chip is garbage, get another one

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
You might have a flux that melts at very low temperatures.
The label will show the activation temperature (something like 125C) but before that, it will already have liquified.
Some flux (including proper brands) will start to get liquid at 50 degrees Celcius.
That might be moving around inside the Switch as such temperatures are not uncommon.

I saw some repair guy just putting boards in an ultrasonic bath with isopropyal alcohol.
But for that you need to completely remove the board.
That very well be the case, but I learned my lesson a long time ago and quickly made the change. Basically I eliminated any chance of foreign substance near the eMMC and so far so good with units going strong for over 8 months.

With regard to the ultrasonic, putting alcohol in it is pretty dangerous without proper equipment because it could lead to an explosion. You should use another cleaning agent, alcohol though should come at the very last step of the cleaning process because it helps vaporizes other liquids.

boomfunk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Third time doing a kamikaze dat0 and I am greeted with a black screen. The previous two went great. Got too confident I suppose. This threads been a fantastic resource.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
With regard to the ultrasonic, putting alcohol in it is pretty dangerous without proper equipment because it could lead to an explosion.
When i work at Quartz Crystal Resonator, its part of SOP to clean the crystal on the alcohol.
Both ethanol or methanol. Ethanol cheaper more dirty, methanol more pricy but more clean.
Its done on every step, lapping, shaping, bevelling, etching, QC, etc.
Its done 7x24 hours.

So i am pretty sure that using alcohol in ultrasonic is practically safe.
Its by my experience on the industry for around 3 years, before its collapsed, can't compete with chinese QCR prices.

Its just use standard ultrasonic devices in industry, such as ultrasonic frequency generator, and custom piezoelectric bolted to a big aluminium can. Theres no special equipment.

Even 1 meter above the ultrasonic device is a heater (using gas), because the ultrasonic also used on hot water to clean some lapping powder. Alcohol is pricy, so only used at the last step before moving to other department.

The problem with ultrasonic, is not about explosion, but your component on the pcb might broke. Ultrasonic mechanically shake the component. For example inside the crystal oscillator component theres Quartz Crystal usually glued using Silver based glue or Gold based glue. Usually the cheap crystal using silver based one are more worst than the gold one. And the shake from the ulstrasonic cleaner might reduce the quality of the glue when you clean the pcb (including the crystal) inside the ultrasonic cleaner.

Last edited by abal1000x,

freso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria

Hello .. I got this 2021 v2 switch with a weired pre-tined test points on board that never saw before on other switches after I install rp2040 tiny sometimes it boots fast and sometimes it takes 5 seconds sometimes 12 sometimes more like in the video below.. also I shorted the 3 capacitors for gnd .....I checked the capacitors on the flex cable I found they are broken I attached photos ... so could they be the problem or the shorted 3 capacitors for gnd?
And if it is the flex capacitors can somebody show me the 4 ones not used in rp2040 son I can swap them??

This what happen after boot

Attachments

• IMG_008.JPG
    IMG_008.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_007.JPG
    IMG_007.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_006.JPG
    IMG_006.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_001.JPG
    IMG_001.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_005.JPG
    IMG_005.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 7
  • VID20240318200035.mp4
    10.4 MB
  • VID20240318200056.mp4
    9.3 MB
  • VID20240318200105.mp4
    27.9 MB
Last edited by freso,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The problem with ultrasonic, is not about explosion, but your component on the pcb might broke. Ultrasonic mechanically shake the component. For example inside the crystal oscillator component theres Quartz Crystal usually glued using Silver based glue or Gold based glue. Usually the cheap crystal using silver based one are more worst than the gold one. And the shake from the ulstrasonic cleaner might reduce the quality of the glue when you clean the pcb (including the crystal) inside the ultrasonic cleaner.
That is why professional ultrasonic cleaners have a feature called frequency sweeping where they prevent using the same frequency all the time. We have at work but they are pretty expensive and so is that Brandson stuff that goes into it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol