Playstation classic

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Ofcourse, a 4k tv runs everything below 4k and a 144hz monitor runs everything below 144hz. I really don't get your point ?
4K doesn’t support everything below. Some newer displays got rid of 240p support and would show nothing, it would say no signal.

I did not say that. Read again. Your argument doesn't even make sense. It's always support up to and everything below. That's basic knowledge. What are you trying to get at ? Is it that ur trying to pull something out of context just to win a bullshit argument that doesn't even make sense ?
Pal won’t run on NTSC CRT’s. You won’t see anything properly unless you get a video converter. So no having a higher Hz doesn’t support everything below properly unless it’s a multi system TV that does support it.

It does make sense because 24fps movies has to do 3:2 pull down to be displayed on a 60hz display properly. 60hz can’t display 24fps properly or it will get out of sync. It has to be a 120hz display or a multiple of 24 to display it properly without judder. So it doesn’t support everything below correctly and has to go through tv processing.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
4K doesn’t support everything below. Some newer displays got rid of 240p support and would show nothing, it would say no signal.

Pal won’t run on NTSC CRT’s. You won’t see anything properly unless you get a video converter. So no having a higher Hz doesn’t support everything below properly unless it’s a multi system TV that does support it.

It does make sense because 24fps movies has to do 3:2 pull down to be displayed on a 60hz display properly. 60hz can’t display 24fps properly or it will get out of sync. It has to be a 120hz display or a multiple of 24 to display it properly without judder. So it doesn’t support everything below correctly and has to go through tv processing.
Yes it does. It supports lower resolutions. Basic knowledge. To come back at your original argument wich was bullshit by the way and i'll give you an example why that is.
''our flat screen displays should support 50hz. You said not a single display supports 50hz but that’s not true. We haven’t been limited by region frame rates ever since flat screens came out.'' wich was your argument against me is basically the same as i would be saying '' i can't go on anymore, i just hit a brick wall'' and you then being like where's the wall ??? You claimed there was a wall but i can't see one ? It's literally 100 percent the same as your argument wich is bullshit. Like i said go troll somebody else

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Yes it does. It supports lower resolutions. Basic knowledge. To come back at your original argument wich was bullshit by the way and i'll give you an example why that is.
''our flat screen displays should support 50hz. You said not a single display supports 50hz but that’s not true. We haven’t been limited by region frame rates ever since flat screens came out.'' wich was your argument against me is basically the same as i would be saying '' i can't go on anymore, i just hit a brick wall'' and you then being like where's the wall ??? You claimed there was a wall but i can't see one ? It's literally 100 percent the same as your argument wich is bullshit. Like i said go troll somebody else
Not all TV’s properly supports the lower 240p resolution. Some people are forced to use upscalers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...not_support_sness_240p_output/#ampf=undefined

You confuse me with your second part. There is a wall and it’s whatever your display supports. There are region hz and modern displays supports different regions no problem. B-) I can enjoy all the pal games I want.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not all TV’s properly supports the lower 240p resolution. Some people are forced to use upscalers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...not_support_sness_240p_output/#ampf=undefined

You confuse me with your second part. There is a wall and it’s whatever your display supports. There are region hz and modern displays supports different regions no problem. B-) I can enjoy all the pal games I want.
Jezus, ur one annoying kid trying to have the last word pulling everything out of context and being a stupid troll. Not gonna argue with you, enjoy ur trolling

gameus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received mine a day early. Does anyone know how we could get a jump start on this thing? I don't have really any experience with GNU/Linux. Anything I could be trying?

I read the tear down article, and I'm excited for the fact that there are USB ports on the front, which could possibly mean expandable storage, wifi/bluetooth adapters, etc... And since it uses a samsung eMMC chip, someone with the right tiny soldering skills could easily upgrade the storage themselves.

Pikapichu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received mine a day early. Does anyone know how we could get a jump start on this thing? I don't have really any experience with GNU/Linux. Anything I could be trying?

I read the tear down article, and I'm excited for the fact that there are USB ports on the front, which could possibly mean expandable storage, wifi/bluetooth adapters, etc... And since it uses a samsung eMMC chip, someone with the right tiny soldering skills could easily upgrade the storage themselves.

Nice! How are you liking it so far? I don’t know much about GNU/Linux either. I would start by plugging it into a PC and seeing if Windows recognizes it as any sort of device. From there, maybe someone here can give you some advice on how to further dig into it.

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It wont even power from my laptop it just blinks red for a second.
Does it power off laptop power for anyone else?

How would one go about dumping the flash if we cant get device support.

Last edited by MutantMecha,

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why anyone gives a fuck about this thing when you can buy a PS3 for the same price or cheaper and be able to play every PS1 game and after hacking can play every PS1 game on the PSN store?

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Arm cores make great retroarch machines. It'd be nice to have a playstation with all the ps1 games i want next to my ps2 and ps3 that do the same
If you don't want it fine but stfu and let us have our fun.
I'm enjoying it so far its a nice little machine. plays well.

Last edited by MutantMecha,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why anyone gives a fuck about this thing when you can buy a PS3 for the same price or cheaper and be able to play every PS1 game and after hacking can play every PS1 game on the PSN store?
Oh sit down and shut up. There's always some tool like you. There's a perfectly justified reason to purchase a device like this.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh sit down and shut up. There's always some tool like you. There's a perfectly justified reason to purchase a device like this.

Especially once it gets hacked and replaced with a superior emulator and/or non PAL ISO images :creep:

Arm cores make great retroarch machines. It'd be nice to have a playstation with all the ps1 games i want next to my ps2 and ps3 that do the same
If you don't want it fine but stfu and let us have our fun.
I'm enjoying it so far its a nice little machine. plays well.

Sure they do, provided the emulators used in ARM devices are actually properly optimized. In this case, the emulator is badly optimized, hell, they butchered the FF7 battle swirl, it looks like vomit.

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How am I a "tool" when I'm asking why anyone would by a shitty device like this with such poor performance when there are better options out there? Especially when the SNES Classic has it beat on PSX performance?

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Were adults yo we could buy as many useless devices as we want.
Its not productive to have to justify our purchase its our own money.

Seriously tho can someone else plug it into their pc so i can find out if its just me that cant power it from a laptop

gameus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were adults yo we could buy as many useless devices as we want.
Its not productive to have to justify our purchase its our own money.

Seriously tho can someone else plug it into their pc so i can find out if its just me that cant power it from a laptop

Can confirm that I had the same issues. As soon as I plugged it into the wall it powered on properly. The thing was probably meant to detect data pins or something. PC never detected it and I couldn't find anything in the device manager.

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is their anyway to get it into FEL mode then is it time to hunt down info on the processor?
This is pretty devilish on sonys end.
Normally devices have some way of flashing the boot rom they do so in the factory unless their flashing it prior to soldering it.

gameus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is their anyway to get it into FEL mode then is it time to hunt down info on the processor?
This is pretty devilish on sonys end.
Normally devices have some way of flashing the boot rom they do so in the factory unless their flashing it prior to soldering it.

I have no idea how they flashed it. Here's an interesting tear down article. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-mini-teardown

The CPU is a MediaTek A35. Pretty low end CPU when it comes to mobile hardware, but perfect for something like the PS Classic. 1GB RAM, 16GB flash storage. The motherboard was custom designed by Sony, so who knows when the flashing process occurs for sure. I have no idea how to put it in recovery mode, but I'll tinker with holding specific button combos while plugging it into a computer.

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This looks suspiciously like an un-populated usb pinout

Attachments

• ps1.png
    ps1.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 286

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea how they flashed it. Here's an interesting tear down article. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-mini-teardown

The CPU is a MediaTek A35. Pretty low end CPU when it comes to mobile hardware, but perfect for something like the PS Classic. 1GB RAM, 16GB flash storage. The motherboard was custom designed by Sony, so who knows when the flashing process occurs for sure. I have no idea how to put it in recovery mode, but I'll tinker with holding specific button combos while plugging it into a computer.

It's a shame the emulators runs like shit on here though. Bad reverb, slowdown/inconsistent framerate, juddering, bad framebuffer. Sony was lazy. Oh and the audio tempo goes up
and down

Source: Digital Foundry

Edit: Pic attached from video showing how badly emulated FF7 is, looks like someone smeared vaseline on the screen lol

Attachments

• ff7 battleswirl.jpg
    ff7 battleswirl.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by the_randomizer,

MutantMecha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
cool good to know.
It'd be cool if someone with soldering skills could tinker with it. Maybe get a data connection.
Im tempted to open mine up and scan the board. I think ill let it stay factory fresh for abit.
If the mod requires a soldering iron most people probably wont touch it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Low again