Hacking Discussion Please remember that some developers don't want to be associated with piracy

tomGER

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
most people dont buy every single game anyway so if someone were to 'pirate' a bad game they would not play it through, delete it and not give it a review or recommendation , okay good... but if someone bought a game and forced themselves to finish it even though it was terrible and gave it a bad review and told people not to buy, big problem.
I agree on that and that is probably the reason why demos should remain an important part of gaming culture but I have to yet again say, this wasn't what I was talking about in the post <.<

I think hackers, piracy or not, will always get bad karma from the general public. Just look at sites like Nintendolife or Gonintendo that get swarmed with hate comments towards hackers everytime an article related to hacking is posted.

The general public doesn’t know the difference. To them, hackers are all bad. I think we should stick together as a group and enjoy what we can have.

Also, it’s not like people will use LayeredFS forever. They will quickly forget about it once a more convenient method of warez launching is accomplished. They might even forget about it once Team Executer’s product finds its way to the households.
And that makes it even harder for developers that attach their real life names to their work, people often don't know the difference and it gets harder and harder to find that difference the more their name gets dragged down to the "piracy-level"

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
tbh you might be better off not developing exploits and what not if you are against piracy. Only release apps after someone else does it. Then again if you have the skills to exploit it and are the only one working on it it might get stuck in private forever since nobody else is doing it.

.rip

Reactions: Subtle Demise

I_doTinySoldering

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm yeah, I'll ask to change it and added some warning to the post - But it showed me how easily triggered and ignorant some parts of the community can be - I'd say that around 75% of the comments didn't even read the post and started hating

Hating? Not really.

I asked you a question. What did you think was going to happen?

Seriously.

If you are honestly surprised, yes, I am "hating". You shouldn't be. There was never any reason to believe that the world had changed. There was never any reason to believe "this time, it's gonna be different".

You sound naive. Welcome to the world, little guy. Software piracy is an infinite cat and mouse game. You can try a "security by obscurity" approach, but that won't work, either. Piracy happens because the pirates are also clever and determined (and they don't care what you think.)

Grow up. This is how it goes down. Also, deving exploits will always end in a leak.

Last edited by I_doTinySoldering,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways @tomGER, I respect your standing and moral grounds. However, you should have known better than to question the entitlement of this forum. I foresee a lock in the near future.
Where do you see entitlement? A few devs are upset because someone used their software in a way they didn't want and are afraid of having their names attached to piracy. The general consensus seems to be that "if you put something online in public, expect it to be exploited to the fullest," which isn't really a bad stance, and nowhere in the realm of entitlement.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

tomGER

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cant you just request your name to be taken out of the credits? Or make them say something in the credits like, "this modified version is in no way associated or approved by the original developer(s)." I know not everyone would do it but its better than nothing, I suppose...
@tomGER instead of starting all this why didn't you just ask that your name be removed from any credits? I'm not sure why we needed yet another piracy debate.
Problem is that it is really hard to track down the creators of such modifications and than it's even harder to get the changed version to replace the other one

Last edited by tomGER,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I opened this thread when it had 0 replies, but I had nothing to post, but this got a lot of replies very fast :)...

At least you can't deny the pirates are bad since they give credits :rofl2:.

You have the 2 sides of the coin...

1 - if they give credits, some devs don't like as they will be connected with piracy;

2 - if they don't give credits, it's a big ethical offense and some Devs won't like it either.

tomGER

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hating? Not really.

I asked you a question. What did you think was going to happen?
I didn't talk about you, chill down ._. Look at a lot of other comments that didn't even read the post, I could easily tell that you read the post and had a valid question

To be honest i don't get why they relased the pre patched kernel and not relased a patcher to patch your own kernel.
I think because Atmosphere isn't out yet and they didn't intend public use yet but someone made a work-around patch

Last edited by tomGER,
Reactions: Red1Reaper

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Problem is that it is really hard to track down the creators of such modifications and than it's even harder to get the changed version to replace the other one
Well, that's up to you if you feel it's important enough to do the hard work to get your name cleared. I also don't see why anyone posting the files would refuse a simple request to delete your name first.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
And that makes it even harder for developers that attach their real life names to their work, people often don't know the difference and it gets harder and harder to find that difference the more their name gets dragged down to the "piracy-level"

I think they don’t know the difference because they don’t want to know the difference. Even in a time without piracy, hackers received bad karma from the general public. Case in point, there was a time where the Wii had only the homebrew channel by Team Twiizers and a couple of homebrew apps, no piracy at all. Sites reported about it and people got mad that hackers hacked their precious console.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I think they don’t know the difference because they don’t want to know the difference. Even in a time without piracy, hackers received bad karma from the general public. Case in point, there was a time where the Wii had only the homebrew channel by Team Twiizers and a couple of homebrew apps, no piracy at all. Sites reported about it and people got mad that hackers hacked their precious console.

Those are the same morons who still think piracy kills consoles. There is no helping them.

luan43

Trophies
XP
Country
I am just an outsider in all this but i can speak for alot of people that no one cares who does the hack so i dont think your name will get”dragged into the mud” because no one will care.
People rarely look at credits, i always looked at it as sort of a gun maker type of deal.
The murderer is the person that uses the weapons and not the weapon maker.

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People get absolutely furious at the first sign of homebrew or emulators being developed for literally any console released, ever. It'll always invariably result in a flash-flood of "SWEET FUCKING JESUS YOU'RE GOING TO SINGLEHANDEDLY RUIN THIS CONSOLE'S FUTURE" from extremely discontented people with a whole lot of pitchforks.

It's utterly pointless to go to either extreme: If you're staunchly pro-piracy and nothing else, developers will have zero interest in creating anything because it'll just be ignored in favor of running free viddyogaems, and the scene will stagnate and drop dead.
If you're staunchly anti-piracy, end-users will either be put off by what seems like arbitrary restrictions imposed upon what's supposed to be a solution to enabling total freedom of choice on what you do with your hardware, and some will denounce the original authors and create their own workarounds for it.

It's best to go in knowing that people will inevitably use your work for things that go against your personal beliefs, live and let live.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Ready to sail the high seas