Poll: Apple throttling older phones - your opinion?

images.jpg

Unless you have been living under a rock during the past few weeks, you probably know by now that Apple have admitted throttling overall performance for phones that have an "old" battery.

The Guardian said:
After years of rumours, Apple has confirmed that it does indeed slow down older iPhones, a feature introduced last year to protect against problems caused by ageing batteries.

The feature was implemented on the iPhone 6, 6S and SE last year during a software update, and on the iPhone 7 as of December with the release of iOS 11.2. The feature is planned to be rolled out to newer devices in the future. [...]

The reason invoked by Apple is to prevent phones from shutting down completely when batteries don't have enough power.

Apple Inc. said:
The company explained that when a battery is in a poor condition it may not be able to supply the required maximum current demanded by the phone’s processor at full speed. If that happens, the iPhone can shut down unexpectedly to protect the internal components.

Where do you stand on the matter? Do you believe this makes sense from a technical standpoint? Or do you think it is an elaborate scheme to get people to buy new phones every couple of years? Vote and tell us what you think.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Im just stating the obvious. I couldnt give less shit about any of the platforms really. I have bigger problems in my life than fanboying a mobile platform (which disgust me really as a retro gamer).

Still be vigilent even with ios, there have been problems in the past such as the modified version of xcode some devs used a while back which slipped through the net.

Reactions: fatsquirrel

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, its just because you are too busy trying to delete viruses from your beloved Android.
viruses? my credit cards have never been stolen, so i'm pretty sure my MIGHTY ANDROID is safe. besides u apple sheeps can forget to get custom roms/FW on IOS and deal with apple's choke in the throat.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
While it does make some sense to have this feature, not being upfront about it or letting people toggle it at will is unacceptable. It should be optional like Power Saving Mode on Android.
Still be vigilent even with ios, there have been problems in the past such as the modified version of xcode some devs used a while back which slipped through the net.
Got a link to some info about that?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
As someone who works in the mobile industry I’d say as manufacturer’s perspect, I’d do the same. It’s better have a slow working device than an unstable device. It’s not just about selling more newer devices, but lower down the customer service cost and maintaining reputation of a brand. You see lots of Android phones just give up on phone, but iPhones can last a lot longer due to lots of reason.

Some people just hate Apple, I didn’t say they are saint but they are not as evil as many Android companies than you think.
then they should put better batteries in their phones, not ones that degrade quickly...
considering the manufacturing costs there is more than enough room for it

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm laughting at apple fanticonsumers who have denied this for so long now, only to be let down by the company they all love so much. I honestly don't care. I'll never buy an iphone again anyway.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you have been living under a rock during the past few weeks,
This is a rather stupid thing to say. As if Apple doing this is more concerning than most of the world's, and people's issues, during Christmas. Why would Android users even care, the majority of smartphone owners?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a rather stupid thing to say. As if Apple doing this is more concerning than most of the world's, and people's issues, during Christmas. Why would Android users even care, the majority of smartphone owners?

Hard to be living under a rock when the poll is plastered on the front page too, as if it's the most important poll in GBATemp history, seeing as how I never saw any poll before in my 3 years as a member take up a space in the front page. See that gets me more activated, for lack of a better term, than the issue itself. I knew about this issue before, it's like anti-Net Neutrality, how in the world can one be reasonably for this shady practice by Apple?

Anyways this just reaffirms why I don't buy Apple at all.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP

wow calm your tits my friend, before you call someone stupid:

1) this has been all over the news for days, if not weeks... if you use the Internet at all there is a good chance you have heard of this

2) a lot of Android users are laughing at Apple users right now. So if you are part of this majority, you must be feeling good about yourself right?

I'm laughting at apple fanticonsumers who have denied this for so long now, only to be let down by the company they all love so much. I honestly don't care. I'll never buy an iphone again anyway.

calling @iAqua to the rescue... whaddya say?

Last edited by Costello,

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Save for instances like keeping a consolidated software base that fits all devices, and adding features that older phones cannot handle as gracefully - and even then with limited scope of this - I cannot save their practice as "fair".

D

Deleted User

Yes and no to the poll, but I voted yes since I knew it'd be the option less people would vote for.
I think it should be toggle-able and not forced onto users.

Reactions: DarthDub

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2) a lot of Android users are laughing at Apple users right now. So if you are part of this majority, you must be feeling good about yourself right?

I was laughing last night at a dummy in Die Hard rag-dolling off a police car, this news, even for someone who hates Apple, isn't funny to me. And I'm not feeling good about myself either, the news is rather annoying, face palm causing. I still don't see why the poll is plastered on the front page, especially when the thread itself currently is on the front page. In the grand scheme of things too, it's not surprising, Apple being ballaches to their customers, I feel like they have a history of handicapping users, thinking that it won't backfire catastrophically.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Yes and no to the poll, but I voted yes since I knew it'd be the option less people would vote for.
I think it should be toggle-able and not forced onto users.
there is already a "low energy" mode that users can turn on and off at will.

the throttling we're talking about here is enforced, sneakily. You dont have a choice and you aren't even supposed to know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo