• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] U.S. Presidential Election 2016

Whom will/would you vote for?

• Laurence Kotlikoff (Independent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Hoefling (America's Party)

• Mike Maturen (American Solidarity Party)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
The wall is just symbolic but I do expect him to deliver results with respect to border control and illegals. Enough of blaming America for leaving the doors open

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say it with me, President Donald J. Trump!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The wall is just symbolic but I do expect him to deliver results with respect to border control and illegals. Enough of blaming America for leaving the doors open
Yeah, I'm sure you said the same thing about Trump winning. The wall is gonna be Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Sure, if you want less and cheaper produced games.
The stock market just dropped 5% across the world, the america dollar has dropped, the japan yen has dropped. (this was at the end of closing time, so expect that to drop more in the morning most likely after the official announcement)

Unless it recovers soon, companies will start drawing back the reins on what to invest in and spend money on. Citizens will stop spending money because their dollar is worth less. Prices for all things will begin to increase so companies can offset the loss in dollar worth.
And since minimum wage/wages in general will not be rising any time soon (because all the mexicans got the jobs*) you can expect alot less of things being released and getting alot less for your dollar.
Yeah, remember after Obama took office after Bush and America went through that huge economic slide where the dollar was worth dirt? And because of that, game devs only could create mediocre video games like Borderlands, Left 4 Dead 2, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Demon's Souls, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption and Fallout: New Vegas? Boy those were tough times for the industry.

There's always a huge uncertainty after a new president is elected. America is a gigantic player in world economics, so everything dips as investors freak out for the first few weeks. Then it usually stabilizes.

You think Mexico is already raiding its collective sofa trying to figure out how it will to pay for the Great Wall of Trump? This whole situation just makes me want to vomit. I am truly disgusted with our country.
You...do know the wall was mostly hyperbole, and was only hyped up to get reactions from voters? He's surely not going to create a giant Great Wall, but Mexico will have to inevitably do something about their borders with us.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess we can now count down the days until he
As long as he leaves internet and video games alone, Trump is all good in my book.

i guess those would be low on his list, considering that you can't pirate hotels or a degree from trump university. however, his election alone will influence these since global market everything is intertwined yadayadayada.

Wow now brexit doesn't seem so bad

as far as bad voter decisions go, they're about equal and their consequences, sadly, will only become clear to everyone after the fact.

The stock market just dropped 5% across the world, the america dollar has dropped, the japan yen has dropped. (this was at the end of closing time, so expect that to drop more in the morning most likely after the official announcement)

Unless it recovers soon, companies will start drawing back the reins on what to invest in and spend money on. Citizens will stop spending money because their dollar is worth less. Prices for all things will begin to increase so companies can offset the loss in dollar worth.
And since minimum wage/wages in general will not be rising any time soon (because all the mexicans got the jobs*) you can expect alot less of things being released and getting alot less for your dollar.

that sounds about right.

Reactions: KiiWii

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria

The entertainment industry is often one of the few that actually thrives during an economic downtown, so, no.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, remember after Obama took office after Bush and America went through that huge economic slide where the dollar was worth dirt? And because of that, game devs only could create mediocre video games like Borderlands, Left 4 Dead 2, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Demon's Souls, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption and Fallout: New Vegas? Boy those were tough times for the industry.

There's always a huge uncertainty after a new president is elected. America is a gigantic player in world economics, so everything dips as investors freak out for the first few weeks. Then it usually stabilizes.

You...do know the wall was mostly hyperbole, and was only hyped up to get reactions from voters? He's surely not going to create a giant Great Wall, but Mexico will have to inevitably do something about their borders with us.

sure could've fooled me, because he sure as hell never even implied that his was was just meant to be figurative.
and considering that the us economy in general, as well as every other lower and middle class entrepreneur has always just benefited from the cheap mexican labour in the border states, I'm not sure you're going to be happy if they ever actually do something about that border.

Reactions: Nightwish

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
sure could've fooled me, because he sure as hell never even implied that his was was just meant to be figurative.
and considering that the us economy in general, as well as every other lower and middle class entrepreneur has always just benefited from the cheap mexican labour in the border states, I'm not sure you're going to be happy if they ever actually do something about that border.
I live in a border state, I live in Houston TX, which is mere miles away from the border. I have family in Southern California. I know firsthand about all this illegal immigrant garbage. And I am ready for it to stop. Cheap Mexican labor isn't going to magically disappear, in fact, those cheap jobs will be given to hard working legal immigrants, rather than people jumping here illegally and sapping the system. All aboard the Trump Train.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I live in a border state, I live in Houston TX, which is mere miles away from the border. I have family in Southern California. I know firsthand about all this illegal immigrant garbage. And I am ready for it to stop. Cheap Mexican labor isn't going to magically disappear, in fact, those cheap jobs will be given to hard working legal immigrants, rather than people jumping here illegally and sapping the system. All aboard the Trump Train.

but it is. because mexican labor is much cheaper than american labor, as far as the person hiring the mexiacan worker is concerned. less taxes, less wage in general, they work more and harder because if they don't they don't, they're even easier to replace than americans, also they need to earn money cause they don't get any government subsidies and have no one to turn to as far as the legal system is concerned.

most of these businesses couldn't stay in business if they had to pay american wages to american workers and abide by american work laws etc etc. they would literally go out of business.
meaning the jobs are gone and the mexicans that at least fuel most of that money back into the econnomy by buying food, paying for rent etc etc, is gone too.

i would wager that its also going to cause problems in the young and old care industry and most types of lowly manual labor like gardening and house cleaning.

i mean, maybe it ends up being not so bad, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
but it is. because mexican labor is much cheaper than american labor, as far as the person hiring the mexiacan worker is concerned. less taxes, less wage in general, they work more and harder because if they don't they don't, they're even easier to replace than americans, also they need to earn money cause they don't get any government subsidies and have no one to turn to as far as the legal system is concerned.

most of these businesses couldn't stay in business if they had to pay american wages to american workers and abide by american work laws etc etc. they would literally go out of business.
meaning the jobs are gone and the mexicans that at least fuel most of that money back into the econnomy by buying food, paying for rent etc etc, is gone too.

i would wager that its also going to cause problems in the young and old care industry and most types of lowly manual labor like gardening and house cleaning.

i mean, maybe it ends up being not so bad, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

So businesses that don't pay tax and pay a poverty level wage to people who often send anything extra they have left overseas/back home won't be able to contribute anymore?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow now brexit doesn't seem so bad
Actually, you are right.
Specially after President Grump promised he would keep an UK comes first, only then Europe, policy even after Brexit (in opposition of what Obama said).
But oh well, time will say.
I think we will have a pretty entertaining week, regarding the media having to eat their shit after making fun of Trump the last months (including famous youtubers). That will be fun to watch.

PS: to the apocalyptic commenters in here, IMHO it is just the (perhaps) slightly worse option, Clinton was also BS (perhaps slighlty, if even, preferable?) and also a criminal. The world was going South either way.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Barak obama is the most powerful person in the USA, he alone decides on every matter and wether to go to war or not.

Or so we're told to believe. Come join the indoctrinated repeatophiles brigrade, you know it makes sense, the telly told you. Vote and care about the obvious dog and pony show, believe it makes a difference!

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So businesses that don't pay tax and pay a poverty level wage to people who often send anything extra they have left overseas/back home won't be able to contribute anymore?

of course the businesses still pay most taxes, but they save on, whats it called, i think payroll taxes? this keeps labor costs down and is often what makes or breaks a small and middle sized business.

and of course, when the migrant worker pays rent, spends money for food and clothing and luxury goods (because they have phones and mobile carriers too) thats money flowing into the economy with all the relevant taxes.

just look at the bigger picture. there have been multiple studies on that stuff and at the end of the day, the us is still profiting from illegal migrant workers and there's whole industries that, if you took out all mexican migrants today, would face certain collapse.

Barak obama is the most powerful person in the USA, he alone decides on every matter and wether to go to war or not.

Or so we're told to believe. Come join the indoctrinated repeatophiles brigrade, you know it makes sense, the telly told you. Vote and care about the obvious dog and pony show, believe it makes a difference!

so who are your overlords of choice? lizard people? rich folks? freemasons?
the president is of course a powerful actor in the us. and now that one party seems to control all the important institutions, he's going to be more than ever.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually, you are right.
Specially after President Grump promised he would keep an UK comes first, only then Europe, policy even after Brexit (in opposition of what Obama said).
But oh well, time will say.
I think we will have a pretty entertaining week, regarding the media having to eat their shit after making fun of Trump the last months (including famous youtubers). That will be fun to watch.

PS: to the apocalyptic commenters in here, IMHO it is just the (perhaps) slightly worse option, Clinton was also BS (perhaps slighlty, if even, preferable?) and also a criminal. The world was going South either way.

i'm not sure if it really qualifies as making fun of trump when you repeat things he said but in a slightly appalled or comically confused tone
it's not like he made it easy for anyone to take him serious

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
of course the businesses still pay most taxes, but they save on, whats it called, i think payroll taxes? this keeps labor costs down and is often what makes or breaks a small and middle sized business.

and of course, when the migrant worker pays rent, spends money for food and clothing and luxury goods (because they have phones and mobile carriers too) thats money flowing into the economy with all the relevant taxes.

You're fooling yourself if you think a business that abuses illegal workers isn't going to flaunt virtually every tax possible - they are largely low skill, contract work that is handled under-the-table whenever possible : this is also what kills competition with legitimate business.

You can't compete with someone who's willing to do the job for half the price with no tax attached.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
You're fooling yourself if you think a business that abuses illegal workers isn't going to flaunt virtually every tax possible - they are largely low skill, contract work that is handled under-the-table whenever possible : this is also what kills competition with legitimate business.

You can't compete with someone who's willing to do the job for half the price with no tax attached.

The other option is for the legal workers getting undercut to move into mexico and settle for their cost of living, but maybe it is easier tor them to vote

Reactions: barronwaffles

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
I have been living under a rock so,

I wanted to go to America , I think Trump has become the president eight which means I'll have to cancel my trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MJtV0UPI8