Homebrew Question [POLL] What do you want from Nintendo Switch Homebrew?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 14,966
  • Replies 157
  • Likes 3

What do you want from Switch Homebrew?

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

OP
On the fly patching, for game translations/mods/undubs/etc.

No themes?

Save Managers and Cheat Programs. Because I prefer supporting the devs while the system's cycle is in it's prime. But considering my low-income background, I'd like to be able to screw around in games I'm going to be playing for a long while, doing whacky stuff within reason (No cheating in Splatoon 2 Online, for example, but unbreakable weapons in BotW, why the hell not?)

*all of the above

And romhacks, romhacks are cool

(And while we are at it how about something like ocarina or boot ntr?)

Emulators, but there was no option on the poll for a media player, and no, I don't want to use a network/streaming, like being able to load MP4 and FLAC audio files with an XMB interface, heck, even a port of Foobar2000 would be nice. Emulators since Nintendo's being stupid about the VC.

Video player with DLNA support

Homebrew Launcher
Emulators
Save manager
Other: Custom avatars

That's what someone working with hackers or nintendo would say!

lol, you guys have good ideas. I thought I was missing a couple of poll choices and you guys completely broke my expectations for "Other" answers. Themes would be nice, and Video (MP4) and MP3 would be nice, some kind of NTR Cheat/Debugger homebrew would be awesome, Emulators would be nice. Maybe we could inject our own NES roms into the "flog" emulator, GRAND DAD, anyone? Romhacks would be nice on Smash Bros for switch and MK8D. RosaliinaDaHacker, custom avatars is an absolutely genius idea.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For my real answer I look forward to the potential of homebrew making use of the USB C port. Something like managing files over USB (usb storage emulation), acting as a capture device to capture video directly from the console via USB (making it possible to stream/record handheld only games), and maybe even installing titles over USB if/when that time comes (seemshow the dev console uses USB to install it's test games). USB C standard opens up even more possibilities that Wii U/3ds had no reasonable way of doing without going over the network (which is slower)
Something like NTR would be great. Rom hacks, cheatcodes, and maybe the return of the corruption plugin so I could do Switch corruption streams.
I would also love custom themes. It seems nintendo will probably put more themes in the future.
I guess my last wish for now would be something similar to HID to VPAD from WiiU.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

MisterAlex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
misteralex.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd love emulators. But I'm okay with paying for well-done ports.
I'd love playing backups (aka piracy). But I'm totally down for paying for all my games.

I need a way to back up my save data.
Having hundreds of hours of game progress beholden to the whims of chance is utterly unacceptable.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Lol, for the first time I can say that we do not need homebrew for region-lock lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I want to save edit Zelda:BotW so bad lol, I saw a post on twitter, someone transfered their BotW save from one switch to another switch. I hope a trainer comes out too lol

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm always so confused why emulators are the main thing people want from console homebrew. I already have other devices that can do it, one of which being the nvidia shield portable which is a tegra based handheld.
I'm more excited for modifications to the system and games and actual custom homebrew, not just ports or recreations of stuff that already exists on other platforms.

D

Deleted User

OP
I'm always so confused why emulators are the main thing people want from console homebrew. I already have other devices that can do it, one of which being the nvidia shield portable which is a tegra based handheld.
I'm more excited for modifications to the system and games and actual custom homebrew, not just ports or recreations of stuff that already exists on other platforms.
Tru dat. Because I have an NES emulator on my PC, my phone, my R4 Card, my 3DS. It would be nice on Switch too. I find emulation on 3DS isn't the best, but still better than PC, because keyboard sucks for a replacement as a controller.

I'd use a media player, emulators, FTP, a save manager, and ports of apps like Discord
Discord for Switch would be dope af.

Tru dat. Because I have an NES emulator on my PC, my phone, my R4 Card, my 3DS. It would be nice on Switch too. I find emulation on 3DS isn't the best, but still better than PC, because keyboard sucks for a replacement as a controller.

Discord for Switch would be dope af.
Lol maybe functionality for screenshot sharing?

Reactions: Ricken

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to play emulators via keyboard. Pretty much every emulator supports controller. Costs maybe $15 for a half decent controller for PC emulation.
Or do what I do and use a 8bitdo nes30 pro on PC and switch (and retropie, but that's technically PC)

Spectral Blizzard

GBATemp's Only Racist Stereotypical Feminist
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WE need 3 things.

VLC
Dolphin
Custom themes that can load video instead of pictures and loop it

I think im done here.

and to be able to use my wiimotes as a custom controller;):yaywii::switch:

Reactions: BlastedGuy9905
D

Deleted User

OP
Lol, I almost never got my Switch (friendcode in signature) because I looked at every single store and they didn't have it, obviously I looked at places known for selling games, that why they were sold out, I even looked at a couple of stores that don't sell video games often, places were you get medication (drug stores), but they didn't have it either, but I saw a game store I quickly rushed over there, and I was lucky, to stocked into Switches 2 hours ago (they said) there were 4 switches, 2 gray and 2 neon. I chose Neon and god I was so lucky. Mine came with 1.0.0 firmware.

Last edited by ,

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, I almost never got my Switch (friendcode in signature) because I looked at every single store and they didn't have it, obviously I looked at places known for selling games, that why they were sold out, I even looked at a couple of stores that don't sell video games often, places were you get medication (drug stores), but they didn't have it either, but I saw a game store I quickly rushed over there, and I was lucky, to stocked into Switches 2 hours ago (they said) there were 4 switches, 2 gray and 2 neon. I chose Neon and god I was so lucky. Mine came with 1.0.0 firmware.
I bought it on day one and I got firmware 1.0.0 too, but I was luckier. I was gonna build a PC, but I didn't have enough for all the parts, so I wanted to buy the parts. Note that it was 9 PM ON THE DAY OF THE RELEASE OF THE CONSOLE. We rushed to Altex (our tech store) and there was nothing. Then, we tried another (smaller) shop. They just got TWO. NOT 10, 2. AND ONE WAS JUST BOUGHT LIKE 2 MINUTES RIGHT BEFORE WE GOT THERE.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it on day one and I got firmware 1.0.0 too, but I was luckier. I was gonna build a PC, but I didn't have enough for all the parts, so I wanted to buy the parts. Note that it was 9 PM ON THE DAY OF THE RELEASE OF THE CONSOLE. We rushed to Altex (our tech store) and there was nothing. Then, we tried another (smaller) shop. They just got TWO. NOT 10, 2. AND ONE WAS JUST BOUGHT LIKE 2 MINUTES RIGHT BEFORE WE GOT THERE.
I just pre-ordered from Gamestop online. Though that caused my debit card info to be stolen due to them getting hacked during the time they were doing pre-orders.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw6t28P9po