Hardware possible to turn off bluetooth transmitter in wii? (Cancer concern)

blueagent004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
my childhood friend has recovered from lymphoma a year ago, and since then he's gotten rid of all his wifi and bluetooth devices, even his wireless headphones out of concern that the radiation they emit could cause the lymphoma to come back. i even went and bought another wired xbox controller for him so he would not be exposed to bluetooth radiation of my xbox360.

so late last year, to celebrate his recovery i bought a wii console for him, so we could play together at his place. but it never occurred to me until now that the wii console actually uses bluetooth for syncing with the wiimote, since i had previously assumed incorrectly that the wii console uses traditional radio signals for syncing with wiimote instead and not bluetooth.

anyhow he is very worried, and upset, about the exposure to bluetooth from the wii console i have given him, and rightfully so; getting cancer is an absolute living nightmare for everyone. at one point we thought he was going to die if the cancer spreads, but thankfully didn't. and now after everything he went through and fully recovered, in my moment of carelessness and negligence, i have done him a terrible deed by giving him the wii console and thus exposed him to all that bluetooth radiation which it was no doubt emitting for all this time.

i'm now in possession of the wii console again and i'll probably end up throwing it away if i can't turn the bluetooth transmitter inside the wii off, so i guess my question is, is there a homebrew that would allow such a thing to be done?

PS: i know that turning off the bluetooth chip inside the wii console will render most wii games unplayable, but atleast gamecube games will still work since we have 2 gamecube controllers

thank you so much for letting me know!

Last edited by blueagent004,
D

Deleted User

2 things, xbox 360 and xbox one use a proprietary radio, unless it's a slim or X,

if you manage to turn off the bluetooth for the wii it'd pretty much completely brick, you can't use the menus without a wiimote

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 things, xbox 360 and xbox one use a proprietary radio, unless it's a slim or X,

if you manage to turn off the bluetooth for the wii it'd pretty much completely brick, you can't use the menus without a wiimote
You can set it to boot into homebrew channel tho

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm sorry, but this sounds like something an anti-vaxxer would say
Not once have I heard of Bluetooth causing cancer
If your friend is afraid of technology that uses Bluetooth, they may as well throw all their tech in the garbage and move to the middle of nowhere
And no, there is no way to turn off the Bluetooth transmitter as far as I'm aware.

ACCA919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
There IS a way of booting the console into USBloader gx which can be navigated by the Gamecube controllers. However it requires some modding and I had never heard of Bluetooth and other wireless tech causing cancer. Seems your friend was paranoid about them, and I'm pretty sure he'd end up losing connection to the society if he don't trust any wireless tech (just throw his phone, pc and TV in the garbage)

blueagent004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
You can set it to boot into homebrew channel tho

UPDATE:
i just realize the bootmii that i had successfully installed as boot2, well....its not working LOL. i thought that, if by chance the Bluetooth chip inside the wii could indeed be turned off, i'd still have bootmii to fall back on since bootmii negates the need for the wiimote for launching homebrew channel.

now that i just found out bootmii isn't working as it should, i don't really want to disable the bluetooth chip anymore, rendering this thread sort of moot now. (sorry!)

PS: i know i can get prilloader for this, but i don't know to update my ios. (to avoid prilloader bricking the wii)

However it requires some modding and I had never heard of Bluetooth and other wireless tech causing cancer. Seems your friend was paranoid about them, and I'm pretty sure he'd end up losing connection to the society if he don't trust any wireless tech (just throw his phone, pc and TV in the garbage)

he's just emotionally and physically exhausted from all the treatment he's received thus far, and constantly worrying about the cancer coming back, hence why he decided on getting rid of his wifi modem and bluetooth controller/headset just to be on the safe side.

all i can say is, fear is infectious. he stopped using bluetooth, i stopped using bluetooth. he stopped eating junkfood, i too stopped eating junkfood. its been like this for awhile now.

Last edited by blueagent004,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the best answer is trying to explain that those concerns are unfounded. The frequencies used by WiFi and Bluetooth are no more harmful than radio waves that are being transmitted pretty much everywhere already (Think cell phones, FM radio, microwave ovens). It's not "better safe than sorry" in this instance, because there's no big risk from these items in the first place.

This kind of paranoia like being afraid to walk outside on a sunny day because a storm might come and you could get struck by lightning. It's unhealthy.

ACCA919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
he's just emotionally and physically exhausted from all the treatment he's received thus far, and constantly worrying about the cancer coming back, hence why he decided on getting rid of his wifi modem and bluetooth controller/headset just to be on the safe side.

all i can say is, fear is infectious. he stopped using bluetooth, i stopped using bluetooth. he stopped eating junkfood, i too stopped eating junkfood. its been like this for awhile now.
I really do hope you guys can recover from this fear soon. Consult a doctor if you're really concerned about wireless tech revieving the cancer (which is not normal, I may be missing some special cases)

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:
i just realize the bootmii that i had successfully installed as boot2, well....its not working LOL. i thought that, if by chance the Bluetooth chip inside the wii could indeed be turned off, i'd still have bootmii to fall back on since bootmii negates the need for the wiimote for launching homebrew channel.

now that i just found out bootmii isn't working as it should, i don't really want to disable the bluetooth chip anymore, rendering this thread sort of moot now. (sorry!)

PS: i know i can get prilloader for this, but i don't know to update my ios. (to avoid prilloader bricking the wii)

With the sheer amount of radio waves being transmitted by just about every single device we own, along with radio towers for cell reception and other wireless receivers, everyone is constantly bombarded by radiation. I understand he wants to minimize everything, but unless he is living in a Faraday cage, it's nearly pointless.

Along with everyone else, I recommend your friend seek psychiatric treatment to help combat his fear.

Any wireless device will emit radiation. Whether or not that's harmless to us, well, studies show it isn't. Just like how the whole "A pregnant woman shouldn't stand near a microwave" thing was debunked by science.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to cut out junk food, get more exercise and other such things then that is laudable. Doing it because of an unfounded fear of grollies growing within is bad science and something we need to dispel -- if you are worried about everything then you will not be worried about the things that actually matter.
If you are constantly worried and think every little thing is it coming back or another forming then you often miss the bigger signs of something actually happening, especially if you have already felt like shit for months on end doing chemo or whatever and that is the new baseline. You may then go in and get prodded and poked, blood drawn, waiting for tests... all for nothing and that just sends your quality of life through the floor.

There are three occasions where a relatively normal type of light causes a problem for humans, cancer patients or otherwise.

1) Resonant. Stuff like microwaves at a specific frequency. These excite the water inside an item and thus increase the temperature. This is how your microwave cooks things. This won't happen with bluetooth.

2) Ionising. UV (what the sun produces) up through xrays and gamma rays. If you want the science for this one then look up the energy of photons. http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/e/electromagnetic+spectrum
Bluetooth is less energy per photon than visible light.

3) Because it is a massive laser and you shoot it in your eye or slice your arm off.

Certain cancer patients will be given extra things but in that case he would have been given super super suncream (like Zinc Oxide crazy) and probably told actually don't go outside during the day at all if you can.

If you prefer there is a decent chance your mate will have had a MRI during all this. In industry and once upon a time in medicine it was called NMR or nuclear magnetic resonance. They changed it because people got scared because it said nuclear on it, this despite there being no atomic decay radiation involved at all (it is called magnetic resonance for a reason) and instead the nuclear refers to the nucleus of the atom. Worse is it made some people opt for a CAT scan which does involve a decent dose of xrays (as in your doctor will weigh up risks dose), and on top of that is often a lesser form of imaging.

Short version. Learn what radiation actually is and why it troubles biological things.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bluetooth , WIFI , cordless phones and many other wireless devices all use the same frequency band , 2.4 GHZ. What differs from one to the other is how the data is sent over that frequency. Are you saying that your friend has a house that's completely shielded from radio waves ? If so , he better not ever step out of his home again if he really wants to avoid any exposure to radio waves. If not , then for fun , bring your phone , or any other device that can scan for Access Points and you'll soon see how many VISIBLE access points are surrounding your friend , giving him precious cancer from harmless waves. And this is just talking about devices that actually broadcast openly without being hidden. Unless he lives in a block of lead without any windows , 12 feet underground, he's constantly bombarded with different radio wave frequencies. Guess he can no longer go to the hospital to get treatments , as more and more devices use wireless technology. Hell , hospitals here even install cell phone repeaters so that you can use your phone in the waiting rooms, or deep in the basement/parking lot. If I were your friend , I'd be more concerned about the water I drink and its source.

Reactions: ACCA919

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so late last year, to celebrate his recovery i bought a wii console for him, so we could play together at his place. but it never occurred to me until now that the wii console actually uses bluetooth for syncing with the wiimote, since i had previously assumed incorrectly that the wii console uses traditional radio signals for syncing with wiimote instead and not bluetooth.
Please explain how "traditional radio signals" differ from Bluetooth, and why Bluetooth causes cancer but "traditional radio signals" do not.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those things do not gave you cancer. I doubt. Can you proof that those are because of your childhood friend? I am glad that he is doing well.

Many people concerned about Microwave as well and proof that it didn't caused cancer in many years to come. Can you prove it ? I dont believe that.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reality is his friend believes this, and no manner of bashing blueagent is going to change his friend's mind

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reality is his friend believes this, and no manner of bashing blueagent is going to change his friend's mind
If his friend is just a cancer patient rather than a mental patient then breaking some kind of delusion or silly thinking by calmly explaining why that is wrong is surely the right move. I don't think I would characterise much of the above as bashing (sks316 coming as close anybody in this thread from where I sit, though I would agree it is about as great a departure from logic and fuelled by many of the same ideas as the anti vaxxer set).

Being deathly paranoid about harmless and ubiquitous technology is not really something you can write off as a quirk of personality.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If his friend is just a cancer patient rather than a mental patient then breaking some kind of delusion or silly thinking by calmly explaining why that is wrong is surely the right move. I don't think I would characterise much of the above as bashing (sks316 coming as close anybody in this thread from where I sit, though I would agree it is about as great a departure from logic and fuelled by many of the same ideas as the anti vaxxer set).

Being deathly paranoid about harmless and ubiquitous technology is not really something you can write off as a quirk of personality.
I agree with you that his friend is irrational.

But his friend is not the one posting in this thread. And anything we say is probably never going to be brought up to the friend.

I just think it's kind of a waste of time on our part.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with you that his friend is irrational.

But his friend is not the one posting in this thread. And anything we say is probably never going to be brought up to the friend.

I just think it's kind of a waste of time on our part.

If the irrationality is as contagious as it appears here though then something might filter back down, and if we have the stand against it here then maybe the next person doing the search might not be.

On the other hand we do get fun like

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: