Potatoom 3 v.0.1 by Rinnegatamante ( DooM 3 )

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1678222022110.png

1678222041679.png

Doom 3 Ps Vita Port ! will be testing later
can now be downloaded from VitaDB or VitaDB Downloader! More info is available here: https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/1052
Sooo, yes, I ended up releasing this after like an year being available only in sourcecode form. A little points I'd like to stress over: This is intended as a PoC since Vita hw is basically not good enough for idTech 4. I've included in the release the demo files of Doom 3

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Finally, Thanks rinne for release, even when its not perfect. The ID4 tech is to high for VITA, even RTCW was low working. But I am very thankfully. Hopefully the Pre-Alpha Bulid of D3 is working with this one, since it has tons of differences and when this works, than we have won !
Download now

Unreal was ported to switch, please also do it for Vita, could be the biggest highlight.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally, Thanks rinne for release, even when its not perfect. The ID4 tech is to high for VITA, even RTCW was low working. But I am very thankfully. Hopefully the Pre-Alpha Bulid of D3 is working with this one, since it has tons of differences and when this works, than we have won !
Download now

Unreal was ported to switch, please also do it for Vita, could be the biggest highlight.
Its pretty basic on Vita ..one of my all time favorite games ever !

Reactions: peter8

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is also the answer for Half Life 2. PC Ports over the year 2001 or 2002 gets highly difficulty. Of course I was know it, since RTCW (with QuakeIII engine) is running with ~40fps. Make no sense to port games with a higher ID QIII engine.
There are still a lot ID games left to port that runs with Quake 2 engine or III, example SIN (Q2 engine) or Soldier of Fortune 2 (QIII engine), SIN is anyway the best action shoter of all time. Hexen II (Q2Engine) needs a huge update, since save file error and texture errors. I also give up my dreams for Unreal 2 or Deus Ex 2 port, maybe not possible.
But rinne is the best man currently with the best knowledge to port ID engine games ! Thanks man.
Was playing the Demo and it was make a lot of Fun !

EDIT :
FPS problem comes from Gabriel Cuvillier source, not rinne problem.

First Test :

- loading times are to long and make it difficulty for testing. problem from Gabriel Cuvillier port. not rinne ! read nfo down
- was playing complete Map1 and enter Map2, autosave file working ! YEAH
- framerate to slow (original setting used). But there are also here and there moments with good framerate ! 25fps would be decent enough, but mostly it runs on 10fps, but also more than 30fps possible. problem from Gabriel Cuvillier port. not rinne ! read nfo down EDIT NEED
NEW : was get 60fps on some little situations on lowest settings !
- I was playing for 2 weeks ago the PS3 BFG version, compare the textures from the VITAPort on low settings, the texture quality is incredible ! and maybe a little bit better than the PS3 version ! Great work here.
- starting the game is difficulty, sometimes after load menu it comes a black screen, sometimes it works and sometimes not.
NFO : if the game seems stuck on a black screen at boot, press Start
NEW : FIXED over full version. Problem maybe ONLY Demo version.
- currently only testing the DEMO file
- NEW only testing full version
- E3 ALPHA version currently NOT working ! (it has only 4 Maps, would be perfect enough with this port)
NFO : full game data files (in ux0:data/Dhewm3/base) and copy over dhewm3.cfg from demo folder to base one.
- make the FPS faster with deactivate all settings in advance options ! (works a bit faster)
NEW : disable lightning mode option, brings a lot more performance ! maybe playable, but crash very often.
- I was try to reduce the resolution, but this is maybe not working ? We need 640x400 or something like that, it would make the loading times faster and give more FPS. Currently it use the nativly resolution from the Vita, its to high.
- Mouse setting is working over PS3 controller
- deactivate Dolby Digital ! Its to high for mem.
- inactive test 2 hour in Pause mode on Map2 = WORKING !
- inactive test 2 hour in Pause mode on Map1 = WORKING !
- inactive test 2 hour on Map2 = WORKING ! (40 fps)

Install full Data :
Doom 3 Update 1.3.1 = WORKING ! DO NOT copy autoexec.cfg !
ux0:data/Dhewm3/base , and copy over dhewm3.cfg from demo folder to base one.
(starting Demo will create base folder and will unpack files)

Result : Great work here, but need a lot more FPS performance. Textures are great !
But more testing is difficulty, since the Menu will sometimes not work and it go to black screen and the loading times are to long. Otherwise, need lower resolution setting for more fps.
Gabriel Cuvillier source problem, must re work on it ! NOT problem from rinne.
Post automatically merged:

EDIT :

This Port do not work with 60fps ! NFO from Gabriel Cuvillier

(NEW ! -> 60fps on lowest settings possible on some situations ! without lightning mode)

Its not a problem from the Vita source or rinne ! The port himself is not final. Gabriel Cuvillier will re work on a new source. Its a WEB Port for firefox internet explorer and there is a warning to use it for smartphones since its very low running. I would say, rinne did the best possible job here. Because we have 10fps and also 30fps sometimes and mostly perfect textures.

read NFO from :
http://www.continuation-labs.com/projects/d3wasm/

Performance is decent with around 30-40 FPS on a modern desktop system (ranges from 20 FPS in Edge, 40 FPS in Firefox, to 50 FPS in Chrome). The visuals are matching almost exactly those of the original game.
As for Mobile Browsers: your phone will literally burn in Hell ;) More seriously, while the port is working on mobile phones too (at least, it have been tested on a mid-class Android smartphone with Firefox), it is not playable due to lack of touch-based controls, and to be honest, relatively poor performance (though some users reported me that they were able to get 30 FPS too on their smartphones).

Prerequisites

Any modern browser, on any platform, with support for: WebAssembly, WebGL, and IndexedDB.
A good CPU, and 850MB RAM.
400MB of game data will be downloaded, and cached to the IndexedDB browser storage (this is really a one time download requirement).

I did a couple of changes to the idTech 4 engine in order to be able to start the game before all the data have been loaded. So, along with the initial 5MB executable download, there is a first 15MB download to fetch only what is necessary to load the game engine and enter the main menu. Then, the remaining ~380MB are fetched asynchronously.

I decided to go even further in the porting process, and to fully rework the renderer backend for WebGL (to have the nice bumpy graphics and good performance), to enhance the way data files were fetched (people complained a lot about the long loading times), and a lot of other things.

Pictures from Android smartphone, show 4fps. The VITA has a lot more power, runs with 10, 20 and up to 30.

EDIT :

Final Result :
Need re-work code from Gabriel Cuvillier with huge fixes for loading times. Million thanks anyway, great idea.

Last edited by peter8,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is also the answer for Half Life 2. PC Ports over the year 2001 or 2002 gets highly difficulty. Of course I was know it, since RTCW (with QuakeIII engine) is running with ~40fps. Make no sense to port games with a higher ID QIII engine.
There are still a lot ID games left to port that runs with Quake 2 engine or III, example SIN (Q2 engine) or Soldier of Fortune 2 (QIII engine), SIN is anyway the best action shoter of all time. Hexen II (Q2Engine) needs a huge update, since save file error and texture errors. I also give up my dreams for Unreal 2 or Deus Ex 2 port, maybe not possible.
But rinne is the best man currently with the best knowledge to port ID engine games ! Thanks man.
Was playing the Demo and it was make a lot of Fun !

EDIT :
FPS problem comes from Gabriel Cuvillier source, not rinne problem.

First Test :

- loading times are to long and make it difficulty for testing. problem from Gabriel Cuvillier port. not rinne ! read nfo down
- was playing complete Map1 and enter Map2, autosave file working ! YEAH
- framerate to slow (original setting used). But there are also here and there moments with good framerate ! 25fps would be decent enough, but mostly it runs on 10fps, but also more than 30fps possible. problem from Gabriel Cuvillier port. not rinne ! read nfo down
- I was playing for 2 weeks ago the PS3 BFG version, compare the textures from the VITAPort on low settings, the texture quality is incredible ! and maybe a little bit better than the PS3 version ! Great work here.
- starting the game is difficulty, sometimes after load menu it comes a black screen, sometimes it works and sometimes not.
- currently only testing the DEMO file
- E3 ALPHA version maybe not working ! (it has only 4 Maps, would be perfect enough with this port)
- make the FPS faster with deactivate all settings in advance options ! (works a bit faster)
- I was try to reduce the resolution, but this is maybe not working ? We need 640x400 or something like that, it would make the loading times faster and give more FPS. Currently it use the nativly resolution from the Vita, its to high.
- Mouse setting is working over PS3 controller
- deactivate Dolby Digital ! Its to high for mem.
- inactive test 2 hour in Pause mode on Map2 = WORKING !
- inactive test 2 hour in Pause mode on Map1 = WORKING !

Result : Great work here, but need a lot more FPS performance. Textures are great !
But more testing is difficulty, since the Menu will sometimes not work and it go to black screen and the loading times are to long. Otherwise, need lower resolution setting for more fps.
Gabriel Cuvillier source problem, must re work on it ! NOT problem from rinne.

EDIT :

This Port do not work with 60fps !
Its not a problem from the Vita source or rinne ! The port himself is not final. Gabriel Cuvillier will re work on a new source. Its a WEB Port for firefox internet explorer and there is a warning to use it for smartphones since its very low running. I would say, rinne did the best possible job here. Because we have 10fps and also 30fps sometimes and mostly perfect textures.

read NFO from :
http://www.continuation-labs.com/projects/d3wasm/

Performance is decent with around 30-40 FPS on a modern desktop system (ranges from 20 FPS in Edge, 40 FPS in Firefox, to 50 FPS in Chrome). The visuals are matching almost exactly those of the original game.
As for Mobile Browsers: your phone will literally burn in Hell ;) More seriously, while the port is working on mobile phones too (at least, it have been tested on a mid-class Android smartphone with Firefox), it is not playable due to lack of touch-based controls, and to be honest, relatively poor performance (though some users reported me that they were able to get 30 FPS too on their smartphones).

Prerequisites

Any modern browser, on any platform, with support for: WebAssembly, WebGL, and IndexedDB.
A good CPU, and 850MB RAM.
400MB of game data will be downloaded, and cached to the IndexedDB browser storage (this is really a one time download requirement).

I did a couple of changes to the idTech 4 engine in order to be able to start the game before all the data have been loaded. So, along with the initial 5MB executable download, there is a first 15MB download to fetch only what is necessary to load the game engine and enter the main menu. Then, the remaining ~380MB are fetched asynchronously.

I decided to go even further in the porting process, and to fully rework the renderer backend for WebGL (to have the nice bumpy graphics and good performance), to enhance the way data files were fetched (people complained a lot about the long loading times), and a lot of other things.

EDIT :

Final Result :
Need re-work code from Gabriel Cuvillier with huge fixes for loading times. Million thanks anyway, great idea.
Very well written pete! & a solid attempt by all involved ... a solid POC

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@ SuperDan :
exactly ! Great first release here, rinne was working over 1 year for this one. Maybe he was not know that this port is not working anyway in full fps and was not final ?
When Gabriel Cuvillier is re work on the code, I highly think its possible that it will work decent on the Vita system ! And for sure rinne will update and port the next version from Gabriel. So we must just wait.

Big news for you : I get this game now running in decent framerate, also in the beginning. Its need the extra setting without light effect, but this will mostly crash, error. But here we can start on it. And also deactivate all advance settings in video options ! this will give a huge performance, but the textures are low as possible. Anyway you can also use full video settings, the textures are orgasm on my PSTV ! wow

When you go outside on Mars in Map2, the framerate is mostly perfect ! YEAH ! This is where I say it should work with updates on main code.
The framerate problem comes from lightning effects inside rooms and voices data files, script events. So deactivate Dolby sound.

I dont get the Demo done, mostly crash on Map2 when zombies attack and the bridge must build up.

Maybe rinne can bring some magic like for flycast and bring more memory ?

Save file working, but reload not working !

@ VNZS :
Hello :)
Stay low as possible with your tai plugins ! This port is a mem killer ! Its first release and very unstable, for testing. Use normal mode, not the without lighting effect mode. Map1 is full playable and Map2 crash in the middle. Reduce all video settings.

EDIT

! More NFO from rinne :
Black Screen Menu + Install full data files

- Oh, if the game seems stuck on a black screen at boot, press Start. (Also touch screen seems to cause random crashes sporadically so use it basically only to navigate main menu)

I can confirm it, YES.
UPDATE : FIXED over full version ! Problem only in Demo version.

- The vpk also provides a build with lighting disabled (And it's likely what you want to run to get a somehow okish framerate at least in most relaxed scenes).

When I lighting disabled, than mostly the game crash. Otherwise framerate is alot better.

- I recommend providing full game data files (in ux0:data/Dhewm3/base) since they have ETC1 compressed textures unlike demo files. If you do so, remember to copy over dhewm3.cfg from demo folder to base one.
Diesen Thread anzeigen

Yes, I had see the base folder, I am wonder when the E3 Alpha version can be copy there. Was thinking this is Demo only. The Demo also get virtual install to base folder ! Maybe this also take more loading time ?

EDIT :

We must install full game. Demo file need extra mem, since its virtual unpack in base folder.

EDIT

Test Full Data files :

CDRom Version 3 Disc / NO Patch
DOOM 3 README
Last Updated 7-8-2004

- open each Disc 1,2,3 image and extract all pk4 files into 'base' folder.

game00.pk4 ~ 2MB
pak000.pk4 ~ 340MB
pak001.pk4 ~ 225MB
pak002.pk4 ~ 410MB
pak003.pk4 ~ 300MB
pak004.pk4 ~ 230MB
pak005.pk4 ~ 540KB

- copy over dhewm3.cfg from demo folder to base one.
- delete all files into Demo folder

Result :
Menu - working
WARNING - couldnt load sound
ERROR MISSING NETFIRING WEOPON_FIST
Dont work

EDIT

Full Data with Patch = WORKING
E3 ALPHA Version = do not work ! maybe over mod setting, but it crash all the time.

Test Full Data files 1.3.1 :

Doom 3 Update 1.3.1 - Last updated 12-14-2006

base/
game00.pk4
game01.pk4
game02.pk4
game03.pk4
doomkey
pak000.pk4
pak001.pk4
pak002.pk4
pak003.pk4
pak004.pk4
pak005.pk4
pak006.pk4
pak007.pk4
pak008.pk4
xpkey

Result : WORKING !!! Map1 and Map2 running. YEAH (crash on middle Map2 all the time)
Longer loading times, but better framerate than the Demo version.
Demo folder not needed.

Note : DO NOT copy autoexec.cfg ! It will inflict dhewm.cfg and dont work anymore, it gets endless loading time.

? Resurrection of Evil is found over d3xp folder in Mod option, but crash currently ? pk4 is over 500mb big.

Final Test :

- decent framerate possible ! with 'lighting disabled' option and deactivate all video advance options. Gameplay is not bad.
This is the key to play this Port ! But the game mostly crash after 1 minute, GPU crash same like Quake II N64, Map2 not possible. When we get a fix for it, maybe its full playable. This option is very helpfull ! I am getting now ~20fps to 30fps on lowest settings with this one. When play with lightning on, I get 10fps to 20fps and will not crash until it gets to slow on Map2.

@ rinne : please fix 'lighting disabled' option, it crash all the time. We need it for future testing. Or has it something to do with the advance video option ?

- save and load has error. Create a save file works fine, but reload a save file dont work and the game put me back into the vita menu. NFO from Gabriel say, save and load should work.

@ rinne : please fix save and load. need for future testing. full game working.

@ Gabriel Cuvillier : please get more performance, also better performance for light effect. Faster loading times. Otherwise, its somehow working.

@ Gabriel Cuvillier & rinne : can currently not find any NFO about the mission pack Resurrection of Evil, is it working ? The mission pack is show up correctly in the Mod setting, but crash all the time.

Thats all, please update rinne. And we have maybe a solid decent playable Port here ! YEAHHH

small UPDATE : show FPS

Open dhewm.cfg and search for

seta com_showFPS "0"
and change 0 to 1,
seta com_showFPS "1".

Now the menu, videos and ingame show up the FPS counter !

EDIT :

Was also try to change

seta r_customHeight "544"
seta r_customWidth "960"
to
seta r_customHeight "400"
seta r_customWidth "600"

Seems to work

Anyway the FPS counter show me on some areas and situations full 60FPS in light mode !!! perfect. But mostly betwenn 20 and 40. Decent need is 25fps, maybe we get this to work here !
In Map1. I had change alot in the video advance settings.

Still no Fix for save and load problem ? Disable light mode still crash not working. ?

EDIT :

small Update for NFO : problem Black Screen Menu

- if the game seems stuck on a black screen at boot, press Start. (Also touch screen seems to cause random crashes sporadically so use it basically only to navigate main menu)

NEW - the black screen problem is maybe ONLY in the Demo version. Since I use the full version, I dont have the problem anymore.
So I would say its FIXED over full data files v1.3.1. (the black screen moment is where the ID video comes)

Last edited by peter8,

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am unsure, but seems Rinnegatamante had use the multithread code from emileb and he had forked it from Gabriel ?
Anyway the code from emileb multithread was updated on 2022-06-13 with version 1.5.2. But the written code from rinne is dated from July 16, 2021 this should be 1.5.1 ? Right ?
When yes the version 1.5.2 has tons of bug fixes and rinne can bring a update.

NFO :

here :

https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3/releases/tag/1.5.2

dhewm3 1.5.2 Latest
@DanielGibson DanielGibson released this 13 Jun 03:17
Release 1.5.2 of our Doom3 Sourceport.
See https://dhewm3.org/ for more information

UPDATE 2022-06-13 13:32:19 UTC: Replaced dhewm3-mods_1.5.2_win32.zip - the original archive's d3le.dll was broken

and here :

https://github.com/emileb/d3es-multithread

dhewm3 Changelog

Note: Numbers starting with a "#" like #330 refer to the bugreport with that number at https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3/issues/
1.5.2 (2022-06-13)

Gamma and Brightness are now applied in the shaders instead of by setting hardware gamma.
Can be disabled (so hardware gamma is used again) with r_gammaInShaders 0
Improvements for (Windows-only) MFC-based tools:
Added the script debugger! (thanks HarrievG!)
Original Doom3 didn't have it (Quake4 did), but the Doom3 GPL source contained most of it. HarrievG implemented the missing parts and we added some new features. It can even be used over the network and while the client part (the debugger GUI) is Windows-only, the server can run on all supported platforms, so you can debug a game running on Linux or macOS, for example.
Relevant CVars for network debugging are: com_enableDebuggerServer and com_dbgClientAdr and com_dbgServerAdr.
To debug the running game on the same PC, just enter debugger in the console.
All tools can now be built in 64bit (thanks raynorpat!)
HighDPI support (thanks HarrievG!)
PDAEditor works now
Additional bugfixes
Cycle through multiple Quicksave slots instead of immediately overwriting the last Quicksave. The com_numQuicksaves CVar allows setting the number of QuickSaves (#392)
Make r_locksurfaces work (#357)
It doesn't do exactly what its description and name suggests: it renders everything that is currently visible from the position/view the player had when setting r_locksurfaces 1. Originally it was supposed to render exactly the surfaces that were visible then, but I couldn't get that to work.
This is pretty similar, but there may be differences with opened doors and such.
Keyboard input improvements (mostly SDL2-only):
Support (hopefully) all keyboard keys on all kinds of keyboard layouts by using scancodes for otherwise unknown keys
Support typing in non-ASCII characters, if supported by Doom3 (it supports ISO-8859-1)
Support the clipboard also on non-Windows platforms
You can paste text from the clipboard into the console or other edit fields with Shift+Insert
Explicit support for Right Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys
(can be bound to different actions than their left counterparts)
Added in_grabKeyboard CVar to make sure dhewm3 gets all keyboard input
Prevents the Windows-key or Alt-Tab or whatever from taking focus from the game
Added in_ignoreConsoleKey - if set to 1, the console is only opened with Shift+Esc, and the "console key" (that key between Esc, 1 and Tab) can be freely bound to an action (and its char can be typed in the console without closing it).
Added (SDL2-only) "auto" option for in_kbd: When not disabling the console key, dhewm3 will try to automatically detect it if in_kbd is set to "auto" (now default)
Reworked mouse-input and -grabbing code, using absolute mouse mode in fullscreen GUIs (except for the PDA, because it's implemented weirdly).
This made releasing the mouse in the main menu possible, as now the ingame cursor is at the same position as the system cursor.
s_alReverbGain CVar to reduce EFX reverb effect intensity (#365)
Pause (looped) sounds when entering menu (#330)
Fixes for looped sounds (#390)
Replace libjpeg with stb_image and libogg/libvorbis(file) with stb_vorbis
Now the only required external dependencies should be OpenAL, SDL, zlib and optionally libCURL (and of course the C and C++ runtimes)
(Optionally) use libbacktrace on non-Windows platforms for more useful backtraces in case of crashes (usually linked statically)
Fixed a deadlock (freeze) on Windows when printing messages from another thread
Fixed endless loop (game locking up at startup) if graphics settings couldn't be applied (#386)
Fixed some warnings and uninitialized variables (thanks turol!)
Work around dmap bug caused by GCC using FMA "optimizations" (#147)
Prevent dhewm3 from being run as root on Unix-like systems to improve security
Replaced most usages of strncpy() with something safer to prevent buffer overflows (remaining cases should be safe).
Just a precaution, I don't know if any of them could actually be exploited, but there were some compiler warnings in newer GCC versions.
Console output is now logged to dhewm3log.txt (last log is renamed to dhewm3log-old.txt)
On Windows it's in My Documents/My Games/dhewm3/
On Mac it's in $HOME/Library/Application Support/dhewm3/
On other Unix-like systems like Linux it's in $XDG_DATA_HOME/dhewm3/ (usually $HOME/.local/share/dhewm3/)
Improved compatibility with Wayland (#426)
Work around assertion in AlphaLabs4 due to "ride_of_death" yeeting the dead "monster_zsec_shotgun_12" into the void (#409)
Support loading some mods known to need fs_game_base d3xp via Mods menu (currently, The Lost Mission and LibreCoop d3xp are supported)
Disable assertion in idSampleDecoderLocal::DecodeOGG() that triggered when starting a new Classic Doom3 game (#461)

/

Update NFO :

- Screenshot possible over Bind settings ! Will create screenshot folder on ux0.
- quick save Bind setting = working !
- quick load Bind setting = still not working

- was gettin now with disable lightning mode into Map2, the crash bug is mostly on Map1 in the scanning room in the beginning. Just walk very slow into the door, otherwise the game crash on this setting.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am unsure, but seems Rinnegatamante had use the multithread code from emileb and he had forked it from Gabriel ?
Anyway the code from emileb multithread was updated on 2022-06-13 with version 1.5.2. But the written code from rinne is dated from July 16, 2021 this should be 1.5.1 ? Right ?
When yes the version 1.5.2 has tons of bug fixes and rinne can bring a update.

NFO :

here :

https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3/releases/tag/1.5.2

dhewm3 1.5.2 Latest
@DanielGibson DanielGibson released this 13 Jun 03:17
Release 1.5.2 of our Doom3 Sourceport.
See https://dhewm3.org/ for more information

UPDATE 2022-06-13 13:32:19 UTC: Replaced dhewm3-mods_1.5.2_win32.zip - the original archive's d3le.dll was broken

and here :

https://github.com/emileb/d3es-multithread

dhewm3 Changelog

Note: Numbers starting with a "#" like #330 refer to the bugreport with that number at https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3/issues/
1.5.2 (2022-06-13)

Gamma and Brightness are now applied in the shaders instead of by setting hardware gamma.
Can be disabled (so hardware gamma is used again) with r_gammaInShaders 0
Improvements for (Windows-only) MFC-based tools:
Added the script debugger! (thanks HarrievG!)
Original Doom3 didn't have it (Quake4 did), but the Doom3 GPL source contained most of it. HarrievG implemented the missing parts and we added some new features. It can even be used over the network and while the client part (the debugger GUI) is Windows-only, the server can run on all supported platforms, so you can debug a game running on Linux or macOS, for example.
Relevant CVars for network debugging are: com_enableDebuggerServer and com_dbgClientAdr and com_dbgServerAdr.
To debug the running game on the same PC, just enter debugger in the console.
All tools can now be built in 64bit (thanks raynorpat!)
HighDPI support (thanks HarrievG!)
PDAEditor works now
Additional bugfixes
Cycle through multiple Quicksave slots instead of immediately overwriting the last Quicksave. The com_numQuicksaves CVar allows setting the number of QuickSaves (#392)
Make r_locksurfaces work (#357)
It doesn't do exactly what its description and name suggests: it renders everything that is currently visible from the position/view the player had when setting r_locksurfaces 1. Originally it was supposed to render exactly the surfaces that were visible then, but I couldn't get that to work.
This is pretty similar, but there may be differences with opened doors and such.
Keyboard input improvements (mostly SDL2-only):
Support (hopefully) all keyboard keys on all kinds of keyboard layouts by using scancodes for otherwise unknown keys
Support typing in non-ASCII characters, if supported by Doom3 (it supports ISO-8859-1)
Support the clipboard also on non-Windows platforms
You can paste text from the clipboard into the console or other edit fields with Shift+Insert
Explicit support for Right Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys
(can be bound to different actions than their left counterparts)
Added in_grabKeyboard CVar to make sure dhewm3 gets all keyboard input
Prevents the Windows-key or Alt-Tab or whatever from taking focus from the game
Added in_ignoreConsoleKey - if set to 1, the console is only opened with Shift+Esc, and the "console key" (that key between Esc, 1 and Tab) can be freely bound to an action (and its char can be typed in the console without closing it).
Added (SDL2-only) "auto" option for in_kbd: When not disabling the console key, dhewm3 will try to automatically detect it if in_kbd is set to "auto" (now default)
Reworked mouse-input and -grabbing code, using absolute mouse mode in fullscreen GUIs (except for the PDA, because it's implemented weirdly).
This made releasing the mouse in the main menu possible, as now the ingame cursor is at the same position as the system cursor.
s_alReverbGain CVar to reduce EFX reverb effect intensity (#365)
Pause (looped) sounds when entering menu (#330)
Fixes for looped sounds (#390)
Replace libjpeg with stb_image and libogg/libvorbis(file) with stb_vorbis
Now the only required external dependencies should be OpenAL, SDL, zlib and optionally libCURL (and of course the C and C++ runtimes)
(Optionally) use libbacktrace on non-Windows platforms for more useful backtraces in case of crashes (usually linked statically)
Fixed a deadlock (freeze) on Windows when printing messages from another thread
Fixed endless loop (game locking up at startup) if graphics settings couldn't be applied (#386)
Fixed some warnings and uninitialized variables (thanks turol!)
Work around dmap bug caused by GCC using FMA "optimizations" (#147)
Prevent dhewm3 from being run as root on Unix-like systems to improve security
Replaced most usages of strncpy() with something safer to prevent buffer overflows (remaining cases should be safe).
Just a precaution, I don't know if any of them could actually be exploited, but there were some compiler warnings in newer GCC versions.
Console output is now logged to dhewm3log.txt (last log is renamed to dhewm3log-old.txt)
On Windows it's in My Documents/My Games/dhewm3/
On Mac it's in $HOME/Library/Application Support/dhewm3/
On other Unix-like systems like Linux it's in $XDG_DATA_HOME/dhewm3/ (usually $HOME/.local/share/dhewm3/)
Improved compatibility with Wayland (#426)
Work around assertion in AlphaLabs4 due to "ride_of_death" yeeting the dead "monster_zsec_shotgun_12" into the void (#409)
Support loading some mods known to need fs_game_base d3xp via Mods menu (currently, The Lost Mission and LibreCoop d3xp are supported)
Disable assertion in idSampleDecoderLocal::DecodeOGG() that triggered when starting a new Classic Doom3 game (#461)

/

Update NFO :

- Screenshot possible over Bind settings ! Will create screenshot folder on ux0.
- quick save Bind setting = working !
- quick load Bind setting = still not working

- was gettin now with disable lightning mode into Map2, the crash bug is mostly on Map1 in the scanning room in the beginning. Just walk very slow into the door, otherwise the game crash on this setting.
Well you know its $3 on SWitch LOL :) .. its a shame the vita couldn't handle it ..im still hoping for a half life 2 port .... & the StarWars KOTOR ...

• Haha

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You are wrong, this port is better working that we was first think about. I am now get over 25fps on Map1 on every single step and it goes up to 60fps ! No joke ! This is playable. Do not lose your hope, maybe the Vita can handle this Port ! And this port is anyway great, because its focus on High Compatible Mods, this is something that we dont have on the Switch or PS3 BFG version.
My biggest hope is just Doom 3 E3 Alpha copy working and this port is good enough for this one, but currently Mod will crash.
This Port also focus ''Quake 4'', since its the same engine, so the idea behind of all of this is more important that we think of.

- framerate maybe playable now from 25 to 60fps testing Map1
- load file need fix for future testing

My settings to get 25fps to 60fps on Map1 to middle of Map2 with ''lighting disabled'' option. It will have the lowest texture setting possible. Warning ''lighting disabled'' crash very often, the lightning normal mode dont crash so often but runs a lot slower.

+ all video advance settings off
seta s_useEAXReverb "0" (its not in the Demo version)
seta s_numberOfSpeakers "2"
seta r_customHeight "400"
seta r_customWidth "600"
seta r_multiSamples "1"
seta image_downSizeLimit "128"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "128"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "32"
seta com_showFPS "1"
/
voices take ~10fps (also attack sounds)
scripts take ~5fps
shoot a enemy take ~20fps
blood and gore effects take ~ 20fps and can crash the game

@ SuperDan :

Your Half Life 2 Port will go over Android and is in rinnes possible list ! This here is based on PC port. As you see also Doom 3 Android will maybe come again.

https://android.rinnegatamante.it/

Doom 3 : BFG Edition Android
Half-Life 2 Android
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Android
Resident Evil 4: Mobile Edition Android
The House of the Dead: Overkill Android

To bad Deus Ex and Hitman Android is removed from rinne list, oh no. :(

Last edited by peter8,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very eager to get to the end of the week to look into it, I'm curious to see the result.

My question is going to sound stupid but:

What is the best full version to use for data?

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its a first test release.
currently only works the updated 1.3.1 version. the 3CDRom disc set dont work. and the E3 Alpha also dont work. Mission Pack also dont work so far.

Test Full Data files 1.3.1 :
Doom 3 Update 1.3.1 - Last updated 12-14-2006

base/
game00.pk4
game01.pk4
game02.pk4
game03.pk4
doomkey
pak000.pk4
pak001.pk4
pak002.pk4
pak003.pk4
pak004.pk4
pak005.pk4
pak006.pk4
pak007.pk4
pak008.pk4
xpkey

Result : WORKING (crash on middle Map2)

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@peter8

Thank you for all these clarifications, sorry for asking the question, I seemed to have understood that it was a test version but as the English language is not my native language, I had a doubt, one more Thanks again for enlightening me.

I found a cd version 1.3.1 on the internet archive, I'll do the test this weekend

Reactions: SuperDan

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The 3 Disc CDRom version was not working for me.
But there is a digital copy 1.3.1 that will work.
You can not play more than Map 1 and 2, you can also stay on the demo version so far for testing

Reactions: SuperDan and Indy13

Bassram

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Pictures from Android smartphone, show 4fps. The VITA has a lot more power, runs with 10, 20 and up to 30.

I don't think Vita has more power over Android lol, this game runs at 60fps with everything maxed out on a midrange phone

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am get 60fps in some situations. This is a pc web-port converted for Vita and its not final, not a android port :

original nfo :
Performance is decent with around 30-40 FPS on a modern desktop system (ranges from 20 FPS in Edge, 40 FPS in Firefox, to 50 FPS in Chrome).

''Its also dont work perfect on PC system''

Bassram

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
I am get 60fps in some situations. This is a pc web-port converted for Vita and its not final, not a android port :

original nfo :
Performance is decent with around 30-40 FPS on a modern desktop system (ranges from 20 FPS in Edge, 40 FPS in Firefox, to 50 FPS in Chrome).

''Its also dont work perfect on PC system''
there is no Android port, all idtech 4 games (Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil, BFG, Quake 4, Prey) are pc games running on Android through some kind of a launcher, you are required to buy those games on PC and then transfer them to your Android.

as for Vita, there is no way idtech 4 and source engine games are going to run preferably on Vita with its ancient
ARM processor clocked at 500mhz

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you are wrong, there is a android version :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.id.doom3bfg&hl=de&gl=US

Android versions over Vita gets different ported. So there is a high chance for a new version and its on compatible android vita list. It comes from NVIDIA Lightspeed Studios and Half Life 2 is also listed. But currently very silence from the coders.

we only need constant 30fps thats all for decent playable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I hope this is a dream and I'm not actually leaving messages for others to see. :ninja: