Hacking Proof TX used code stolen from #reswitched

doofdilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice to see that so many people are total ignorant of the fact that athmosphere itself is "stealing code" from nintendo in so many ways, but keep talking about the GPL of a code that is a reverse engineered should be respected ...

Reactions: Straw and NeoSlyde

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's nice to see that so many people are total ignorant of the fact that athmosphere itself is "stealing code" from nintendo in so many ways, but keep talking about the GPL of a code that is a reverse engineered should be respected ...
Except it's not?
Every part of Atmosphere is rewritten from scratch based on external observation or public documentation, they'd be extremely deep in legal shit right now if they had plagiarized copyrighted code.

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's try putting this in a way that might cause the "muh free games" crowd to care about this sort of violation.

If for-profit piracy companies/groups keep doing this then the ones who initially spent months writing and debugging the code that allows for free games may no longer be inclined to continue doing so, now or in the future. That's why you should care, if you want your free games on future systems.

Last edited by SomeKindOfUsername,

longxa762

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
People don't see this as good news? Now Xecuter can be "blackmailed" into releasing source code. Realistically, it's a stretch though. They're probably working out of somewhere where it would take a massive amount of funds and legal pressure to actually enforce the license.

And who is going to fund someone to trace who TX is and actually put them on the court? No one. You must be very smart if you think a chinese based company that works for piracy will care about the legal in the western world

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It’s all a question of perspective..
Is it, though? The irony is no longer in the fact you're paying for piracy. Now, you're paying for piracy using stolen code. I don't regret my SX OS purchases, but I won't lie to myself thinking this is somehow right.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And who is going to fund someone to trace who TX is and actually put them on the court? No one. You must be very smart if you think a chinese based company that works for piracy will care about the legal in the western world
Uh yeah, isn't that what I said? At the very least, make this public. More public than gbatemp. Put it up on their official forums. They'll have to do something then.

Reactions: brickmii82

hipmp5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I just hate TX because they are selling something that should be free, I'm ok with them selling something like TX Pro because it is a easy all in one usb loader noob friendly but with them selling the "OS"? That should be free!
It's like if in x360 days c4eva selling custom firmwares for dvd drives.

Last edited by hipmp5,
Reactions: naddel81

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
15 pages worth from an assumption. Reswitched has been going over TX's code for like 2 weeks and they put up 1 single line of code with the phrase "But why does it look so familiar?"embeddedfs:/titles/%016lx/exefs/main.npdm" and you're all assuming that most of the code is ripped off. This whole thread is speculation and if they did really "steal" reswitched's code they way GPL license works "The copyright holder is the one who is legally authorized to take action to enforce the license." So basically reswitched would have to personally take it up with this ( http://gpl-violations.org/faq/violation-faq/) organization to get TX to comply with the license. This is hardly a serious legal matter. So until I hear somebody from Reswitched saying they plan to take action, this conversation is moot.

Last edited by comput3rus3r,

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I say this should be made public, mainstream media level. Maybe if we start impersonating Richard Stallman on social media with a lot of quotes and copypastas about GPL, journalists may report it. We should do it to the point it's illegal impersonating, a lot of people commiting a small crime to take down a pirate company should be news worthy.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People don't see this as good news? Now Xecuter can be "blackmailed" into releasing source code. Realistically, it's a stretch though. They're probably working out of somewhere where it would take a massive amount of funds and legal pressure to actually enforce the license.

You can't legally force someone to adhere to the GPL, it's just a get out of jail free card. You could sue them for copyright infringement, although you may struggle as Atmosphere contains code that is re-implemented version of Horizon. Proving that similar code in SX OS is a violation of Atmosphere, but Atmosphere isn't a violation of Horizon might be tricky.

Then you have the DMCA violations on both sides.

I can't see a court awarding you the SX OS piracy code.

I say this should be made public, mainstream media level. Maybe if we start impersonating Richard Stallman on social media with a lot of quotes and copypastas about GPL, journalists may report it. We should do it to the point it's illegal impersonating, a lot of people commiting a small crime to take down a pirate company should be news worthy.

Unless you assign copyright to the FSF then Stallman doesn't care.

Last edited by smf,

210modz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hate TX because they are selling something that should be free, I'm ok with them selling something like TX Pro because it is a easy all in one usb loader noob friendly but with them selling the "OS"? That should be free!
It's like if in x360 days c4eva selling custom firmwares for dvd drives.

It is free. You only pay if you want the backup loader.

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Unless you assign copyright to the FSF then Stallman doesn't care.
I'm not saying we should bring him in, but impersonate him. Impersonating Stallman is really fun and can help drawing public attention. TX may not have enough opsec to fight a very public matter. Even cops act based on how news-worthy something is.

Last edited by bodefuceta,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1