Hacking PS2 OPL access/write speeds are unfathomably slow

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using the Kaico HDD adapter and Grimdoomer's OPL fork (exFAT SSD). Removing and putting back the SSD doesn't work. A few months back it was mostly a minor inconvenience, but now it's driving me insane. Slow FMVs, stuttery gameplay, extremely long load/save times, etc. Do I really need to get an official adapter, or is there some other solution?

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it also slow if you use a normal build of OPL and PFS?
I didn't try PFS, but the games aren't detected on the latest official OPL beta, since exFAT internal HDD compatibility didn't get implemented yet on the main fork. PFS brings some layers of tedium to setting up the games, but if it's the only way to fix the slow speeds, then I'll be damned because reinstalling ~500GB of games after formatting the SSD is no small task

Last edited by 5witchy,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't try PFS, but the games aren't detected on the latest official OPL beta, since exFAT internal HDD compatibility didn't get implemented yet on the main fork. PFS brings some layers of tedium to setting up the games, but if it's the only way to fix the slow speeds, then I'll be damned because reinstalling ~500GB of games after formatting the SSD is no small task

There are batch methods available such as this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/hdlbatch-a-batch-installer-for-adding-games-onto-a-ps2-hdd.551102/

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Update: I didn't get the new GPU yet but still gave PFS a shot. Small problem: game transfer speed is too slow on two different PFS managers. I did the right formatting on the ssd. I really hope it doesn't have anything to do with it being plugged with a USB adapter instead of SATA, but I don't think it's the case since Wii Backup Manager and drag-and-dropping files in general are pretty fast. As my last post said, keeping the exfat format and the unofficial exfat build of opl isn't the way. What should I do ? Am I screwed ?

Attachments

• IMG_20231201_152913.jpg
    IMG_20231201_152913.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20231201_163257.jpg
    IMG_20231201_163257.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20231201_151240.jpg
    IMG_20231201_151240.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Out of curiosity, have you tried a HDD? Which SSD are you using?
A Lexar NQ100 2.5" 480GB. I haven't tried a HDD because the one I have is used for Wii & PS3, it's 1TB which is over twice the size I need for my PS2 library, and I'd hate to do another long backup before testing it out.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but I don't think it's the case since Wii Backup Manager and drag-and-dropping files in general are pretty fast.
WiiBackupManager? Are you using this drive on multiple systems?
As my last post said, keeping the exfat format and the unofficial exfat build of opl isn't the way. What should I do ? Am I screwed ?
Format your drive in uLaunchElf. Can't tell if it'll fix the slow speed problem, specially if the drive is at fault somehow, no formatting can fix that. To make sure the ssd isn't just slow, do some speed tests with CrystalDiskMark etc. to make sure it's not the drive.

Reactions: tech3475

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WiiBackupManager? Are you using this drive on multiple systems?

Format your drive in uLaunchElf. Can't tell if it'll fix the slow speed problem, specially if the drive is at fault somehow, no formatting can fix that. To make sure the ssd isn't just slow, do some speed tests with CrystalDiskMark etc. to make sure it's not the drive.

No I only use the lexar ssd on the ps2. I did format it, but then came the problem of slow game transfers. After reformatting it to exfat/ntfs, I'm 100% positive that I f*cked it up. Crystaldiskmark and drag/drops are so slow they virtually don't work, I give up. Oh well, ps2 was fun when it worked i guess.

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Have you checked the drive with Lexar's SSD software? Maybe try manually running TRIM?:
https://kb.plugable.com/data-storage/trim-an-ssd-in-windows-10
No problem with TRIM, it's set to 0 already. Even the SMART data seems fine from what I see in Lexar's SSD Dash software. But the formatting process (after deleting all data in that software) is extremely slow. It shall stay in RAW format purgatory for now. If the warranty is still available I may send it for repair. Rarely have I gained and lost hope this fast. Jack the Diskdriveripper is still in action, stay home everyone!
Post automatically merged:

FALSE ALERT !

When doing a quick format (I checked that off before), the SSD regained a normal speed. I might use it as a secondary drive for my PC, but the PS2 is still a misfire. On an unrelated note, should I get a modded Xbox 360 ? Is it less annoying to use than the PS2 ?

Attachments

• IMG_20231201_183011.jpg
    IMG_20231201_183011.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited by 5witchy,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'd rather just use a Raspberry Pi over Ethernet to serve games on SMB. The only real downside is that it's not easy to place the Pi internally in a PS2 Phat or Slim with out their optical drives removed, and they require their own power supply too. Tapping into a 5V line of the Phat PSU might be tricky, and comes with only risks...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
does a ps2 work without the disk drive? / anything special that needs to be done to make it work?
As far as I know they work fine without one. Or just keep the PCB in, while removing the drive assembly carriage and laser assembly, like the Wii.

Reactions: cearp

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FALSE ALERT !

When doing a quick format (I checked that off before), the SSD regained a normal speed. I might use it as a secondary drive for my PC, but the PS2 is still a misfire. On an unrelated note, should I get a modded Xbox 360 ? Is it less annoying to use than the PS2 ?
I would suggest testing the read speeds in the PS2 after you wrote a single game to it that you know stutters. The write speeds over network or usb don't have to mean much considering the transfer program is likely not optimized and the access to write isn't using regular tools either.
I use the regular OPL version with an official network adapter and writing to the SSD was very slow as well, but the read speeds when installed are just fine.
Be sure to also double check that the compatibility settings for your games are set correctly, those can also lead to degraded performance or even crashes while playing.

If all that still leads to stutters there's definitely a chance your adapter is the cause.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here