impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Hells Malice said:
Y'know what the greatest game ever is?
From Russia With Love.
Yeah right. Piece of crap doesn't work for softmodding, and I have absolutely no way of getting Agent Under Fire without a damn credit card. Fuuuu.

I played From Russia With Love though...ahah. God damn. I nearly nailed that shit to a board and lit it on fire.
Way to bump with a pointless rant!

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
impizkit said:
Hells Malice said:
Y'know what the greatest game ever is?
From Russia With Love.
Yeah right. Piece of crap doesn't work for softmodding, and I have absolutely no way of getting Agent Under Fire without a damn credit card. Fuuuu.

I played From Russia With Love though...ahah. God damn. I nearly nailed that shit to a board and lit it on fire.
Way to bump with a pointless rant!

Way to care if a sticky gets bumped!
Derp.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK I've been reading up on this for the last few days and I stopped by a local Gamestop while shopping. I found a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire for $4! I read that I can use my PC to host my ISO/homebrew through a network. I have a Netgear WIFI to LAN adapter that I use for my XBOX so I can also connect my PS2 to my WIFI network this way. How do I go about doing this softmod to achieve this? I haven't found any guides that explains it completely. Also will I have to do this 007 swap method every time I want to play a game or is it a one time thing?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
cornaljoe said:
OK I've been reading up on this for the last few days and I stopped by a local Gamestop while shopping. I found a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire for $4! I read that I can use my PC to host my ISO/homebrew through a network. I have a Netgear WIFI to LAN adapter that I use for my XBOX so I can also connect my PS2 to my WIFI network this way. How do I go about doing this softmod to achieve this? I haven't found any guides that explains it completely. Also will I have to do this 007 swap method every time I want to play a game or is it a one time thing?

1. Forget about using wifi, loading via LAN is faster than loading from usb(usb1.1!), but still not as good as a disc. So you don't want to do anything that lowers the speed or decreases the stability, and wifi would do both.

If you have a slim, then you want to take a look at an Open PS2 Loader guide. Since Open PS2 Loader is ps2 homebrew, you need a way to boot that. The best way is by using Free McBoot, as that allows you to add any ps2 homebrew to the ps2 main menu, but not all ps2 models are compatible. I don't know which ones are not compatible, but it's "only" the latest models, maybe even only the ps2 slims with internal power supply. And in order to install Free McBoot, you need some way to execute ps2 homebrew, as the Free McBoot installer is ps2 homebrew. The 007 Agent Under Fire method is one way for it, then there's swap magic, swap magic again(1st homebrew disc, 2nd certain swap magic version that allows to run homebrew directly) and the independence exploit that requires a retail ps1 game and does only work on old ps2s.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
cornaljoe said:

1. Forget about using wifi, loading via LAN is faster than loading from usb(usb1.1!), but still not as good as a disc. So you don't want to do anything that lowers the speed or decreases the stability, and wifi would do both.

If you have a slim, then you want to take a look at an Open PS2 Loader guide. Since Open PS2 Loader is ps2 homebrew, you need a way to boot that. The best way is by using Free McBoot, as that allows you to add any ps2 homebrew to the ps2 main menu, but not all ps2 models are compatible. I don't know which ones are not compatible, but it's "only" the latest models, maybe even only the ps2 slims with internal power supply. And in order to install Free McBoot, you need some way to execute ps2 homebrew, as the Free McBoot installer is ps2 homebrew. The 007 Agent Under Fire method is one way for it, then there's swap magic, swap magic again(1st homebrew disc, 2nd certain swap magic version that allows to run homebrew directly) and the independence exploit that requires a retail ps1 game and does only work on old ps2s.

I have a PS2 Slim 7000 series so I think its compatible. I checked the Free McBoot site and read the guide but it stops after installing it. So once I install Free McBoot it is available in the PS2 menu and I can run Open PS2 Loader for network access? I think my WIFI connection is stable as I can stream HD videos through Netflix on my XBOX just fine. If push comes to it I may be able to run an ethernet cord to my PS2.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The Free McBoot installer always adds an option to configure it, which includes the ps2 main menu items. Also usually it comes with uLaunchELF, which can be used to browse memory cards and usb pen drives and launch .elf files. If you know what your are doing you can add any homebrew to Free McBoot directly on the install process, but all you can do by this, can also be done later, so it's not important to look that up.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
The Free McBoot installer always adds an option to configure it, which includes the ps2 main menu items. Also usually it comes with uLaunchELF, which can be used to browse memory cards and usb pen drives and launch .elf files. If you know what your are doing you can add any homebrew to Free McBoot directly on the install process, but all you can do by this, can also be done later, so it's not important to look that up.

Cool I successfully installed Free McBoot and added Open PS2 Loader to it. Now I'm trying to connect my PS2 to my network but my router doesn't see it. I set my router to hand out static IPs to all my devices according to the MAC address. I try to set the PS2 using the same method but nothing works. Anyone know how to setup Open PS2 loader with a router?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
cornaljoe said:
WiiPower said:

Cool I successfully installed Free McBoot and added Open PS2 Loader to it. Now I'm trying to connect my PS2 to my network but my router doesn't see it. I set my router to hand out static IPs to all my devices according to the MAC address. I try to set the PS2 using the same method but nothing works. Anyone know how to setup Open PS2 loader with a router?

Hmm, did you get the correct MAC address for your ps2? I don't set IP addresses by MAC address, i set them all manually on the devices themselves. Then i enter the router and PC IP address in Open PS2 Loader, give itself another unique IP, and make sure the folder on PC is named correctly and shared correctly. The newer Open PS2 Loader revisions can handle password protected shares, maybe you want to try one of them. You need to compile it yourself, but there should a linux VM especially for that purpose somewhere.

I hope it's not a problem related to your wifi thingy or the used cable(s).

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
cornaljoe said:
WiiPower said:

Hmm, did you get the correct MAC address for your ps2? I don't set IP addresses by MAC address, i set them all manually on the devices themselves. Then i enter the router and PC IP address in Open PS2 Loader, give itself another unique IP, and make sure the folder on PC is named correctly and shared correctly. The newer Open PS2 Loader revisions can handle password protected shares, maybe you want to try one of them. You need to compile it yourself, but there should a linux VM especially for that purpose somewhere.

I hope it's not a problem related to your wifi thingy or the used cable(s).

Well some how everything is working fine now. I'm mad and glad because I just spent an hour getting an ethernet cable through a hole in my wall to my living room. It turns out I didn't need to because the ethernet and the WIFI bridge work. I did some test and found no advantage over the other. I'll just use the ethernet since I spent all that time getting it to the PS2 and I won't have to worry about switching between the two consoles.

Now that I'm all setup what can I do? Any good homebrew I can try out?

Edit: I did some more test and it turns out the ethernet does run smoother on some games than the WIFI bridge. So my adventure of threading the ethernet cord through the wall paid off after all.

Bluelaserman

I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a "Chipped" PS2 Slim from China and I wish to softmod my Australian PS2. I don't however have access to the 007 game, is there any other method of which I can install the information onto the memory card using the modded PS2?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
bluelaserman said:
I have a "Chipped" PS2 Slim from China and I wish to softmod my Australian PS2. I don't however have access to the 007 game, is there any other method of which I can install the information onto the memory card using the modded PS2?

You can try to replace the main .elf file from ANY game with uLauchELF and/or the Free McBoot installer, then burn it and run it on the chipped ps2. The main .elf file is the SCES_XXX.XX file on disc, and you should find the tools you need for this in one of the 007 tutorials.

Or you can google how to run homebrew on a ps2 with an (old) chip, but i wouldn't be surprised if it's more or less what i described above.

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
I just need to ask after I install Free mcboot on my memory card does that mean I just need the memory card plugged in to be able to load the ELF file? Also will this work with USB Extreme?

Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm really lost at the moment.

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
somedrunkenidiot said:
I just need to ask after I install Free mcboot on my memory card does that mean I just need the memory card plugged in to be able to load the ELF file? Also will this work with USB Extreme?

Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm really lost at the moment.

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Yes that's how it works. If the memory card is inserted, then Free McBoot is booted and adds its menu options to the main menu. If the card is not inserted, there's no trace of it all.

USB Extreme should work directly via Free McBoot or in the worst case via uLaunchELF(booted via Free McBoot). But i recommend trying Open PS2 Loader instead, it's more recent and should have a better compatibility. And i don't think i have to tell you that internal HDD or network loading are faster than usb loading.

If you have a modchip, then it may interfere with any loader you boot. Open PS2 Loader contains some code to block most of this crap, but in some cases, the only help is to deactivate the chip.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont't like the 007 swap trick, it damages your drive, and the lasers of all ps2s are already bad when they are new.

I softmodded my ps2 with some Action Replay + Independence Exploit + FF7(any ps1 game should do it). This requires you to have some cheat device that allows you to copy savegames to your PCps2 and a ps2 that is old enough to not block the independence exloit(don't know which models these are). Oh and you need some small usb storage of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer