Raspberry Pi 5 unveiled

aa7841cb-421a-4000-8ab9-c77478a4f83b-1024x683.jpg

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have formally announced the newest in their line of single board computers which are a favourite among hobbyists and tinkerers. The new Raspberry Pi 5 boasts significant improvements over its predecessor and is set to hit shelves later this year.

Priced at $60 for the 4GB RAM version and $80 for the 8GB RAM model, the new board features a 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, VideoCore VII GPU with HEVC decode, dual 4K 60hz micro HDMI display output, dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 BLE (low energy), and more.

The Raspberry Pi 5 also marks the first time the company has designed its own silicon; developed in-house in Cambridge, UK, the new board introduces a disaggregated chiplet architecture, enhancing its overall performance with reports claiming the new board is between 2-3x faster than the Raspberry Pi 4, with all of this increased performance even being delivered at a lower power consumption than previous boards for comparable workloads.

Pre-orders are now open at select retailers with the first batches expected to be delivered this October.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
And yet, still no 2.5Gbit Ethernet, no M.2 slot on bottom, and the same crappy Wi-Fi 5+Bluetooth 5 as the Pi 4. For $60, they could have done better. The SoC is beefy, but the I/O leaves much to be desired. I'm tired of everything being limited to Gigabit Ethernet. Not everyone enjoys slow af transfer speeds of large files over LAN.
What could you possibly need 2.5gbit ethernet for on a Pi? I use one for a media server and I've yet to be severely limited by the 1gbps port. If you need 2.5gbit for whatever it is you're doing, you might as well just buy a server or build an ITX rig at that point because the Pi isn't the right tool for the job. As for M.2, while technically it's not on the board, they did swap the dedicated display connector (which is now integrated with the camera connector) for a PCIe 2x connector, and they've already developed an M.2 hat for that connector so you can still add an M.2 if you wanted to.

As for the news, neat. I'll probably grab one at some point if they ever go in stock. As expected, all preorders were sold out pretty much within minutes of their news post.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Usually, you want ultra highspeed internet for two reasons
1- when you have a server at home, like you said
2- when you do a lot of big downloads.
You won't run a server out of a raspberry pi, and i highly doubt you will be able to run games that weigth 100GB+...
Correct, which was my point. So unless this guy wants to use it as a Seedbox essentially (for which even then, 1GBit is more than enough), I really don't see how a 1GBit+ interface would be in any way, shape or form beneficial.

Reactions: Noctosphere

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have formally announced the newest in their line of single board computers which are a favourite among hobbyists and tinkerers. The new Raspberry Pi 5 boasts significant improvements over its predecessor and is set to hit shelves later this year.

Priced at $60 for the 4GB RAM version and $80 for the 8GB RAM model, the new board features a 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, VideoCore VII GPU, dual 4Kp60 HDMI display output, HEVC decoder, dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 BLE (low energy), and more.

The Raspberry Pi 5 also marks the first time the company has designed its own silicon; developed in-house in Cambridge, UK, the new board introduces a disaggregated chiplet architecture, enhancing its overall performance with reports claiming the new board is between 2-3x faster than the Raspberry Pi 4, with all of this increased performance even being delivered at a lower power consumption than previous boards for comparable workloads.

Pre-orders are now open at select retailers with the first batches expected to be delivered this October.

:arrow: Source
Pis just aren’t worth it anymore outside of the 2040s their price point to performance is far from them used to be

Most people will be better off just getting a cheap / older used “gaming PC” off of Facebook marketplace and throwing Ubuntu on it

Likely would be cheaper and also have a basic GPU that can be used for other things like transcoding TV shows and movies

Reactions: Henx

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Actually, it should be no "p" at all.
The p is usually used for heigth resolution, such as 1080p. The 60, in this case, stands for 60fps. 4k doesn't require a "p" when written like that, or it should be 2160p
A lot of incorrect terminology is thrown around these days, bothers me just as much as you actually. It's like people saying "LED Diode" or "Literally". They basically say "Light Emitting Diode Diode" or when they say "literally", they don't mean literally the vast majority of the times, but figuratively. It's just that people these days are less educated than they actually used to be, and somehow, lots of people have just given up learning proper description & linguistic etiquette altogether.

duffman2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
And yet, still no 2.5Gbit Ethernet, no M.2 slot on bottom, and the same crappy Wi-Fi 5+Bluetooth 5 as the Pi 4. For $60, they could have done better. The SoC is beefy, but the I/O leaves much to be desired. I'm tired of everything being limited to Gigabit Ethernet. Not everyone enjoys slow af transfer speeds of large files over LAN.
With the PCI express slot it will probably open up for a lot more connectives.
I like that they keep it basic and cheap.
There is a lot of other SBC's and mini computers more suitable for large file transfers and I think most people would rather have a low price

Reactions: Henx

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Actually, it should be no "p" at all.
The p is usually used for heigth resolution, such as 1080p. The 60, in this case, stands for 60fps. 4k doesn't require a "p" when written like that, or it should be 2160p
Never thought about that. Thanks for the clarification. :)

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Not going to lie , it's actually a great addition. I had to buy a case for mine specifically to be able to easily turn it on and off!
Same here, I got the Argon ONE M.2, and a 500GB ssd for it. TBH I've rarely used it at all and when I do it's for compiling stuff for my satellite TV as that's arm based so no need for a cross compiler.

Reactions: shaunj66

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same here, I got the Argon ONE M.2, and a 500GB ssd for it. TBH I've rarely used it at all and when I do it's for compiling stuff for my satellite TV as that's arm based so no need for a cross compiler.
Same case here! It's a great one! I use my Pi 4 as a media "servarr" and Plex server. Works great. Uptime is about 2 years now.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Pi4 8Gb model and I use mine for emulation stuff, I would be interested in buying one of these if there is enough of a performance increase with that newer GPU in it. Although I wouldn't be buying one instantly because quite frankly if my Pi can't do it already my PC for sure does. hmmm I guess the Pi does good enough for couch gaming?

Reactions: Flame

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
With the PCI express slot it will probably open up for a lot more connectives.
I like that they keep it basic and cheap.
There is a lot of other SBC's and mini computers more suitable for large file transfers and I think most people would rather have a low price
$60 for the 4GB "base model" (when it's supposed to be $35, almost half that) isn't what I call cheap, but go off I guess...
Post automatically merged:

Pis just aren’t worth it anymore outside of the 2040s their price point to performance is far from them used to be

Most people will be better off just getting a cheap / older used “gaming PC” off of Facebook marketplace and throwing Ubuntu on it

Likely would be cheaper and also have a basic GPU that can be used for other things like transcoding TV shows and movies
Pi's are typically great for battery-powered projects, but this new Pi 5 seems like a power guzzler... The power supply is 27 watts, 5 Amps. That's a significant power jump from the Pi 4.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Depends on your usage.

Sure for a basic desktop, NAS, etc. An old desktop, thin client, etc. May suffice.

But if you start dealing with projects, hobbyist stuff, etc. The RPi may still be preferable, if not a requirement.

The shortage was a pain for me as I needed an RPi for my Amiga 1200, I ended up having to repurpose the RPi I use for my 3D printer. I managed to repurpose an old 'computestick' I had lying around but it wasn't as easy to setup and does have issues e.g. poor wifi.

Apparently though there are commercial users of RPis, which has at least been a contributor to the shortage.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on your usage.

Sure for a basic desktop, NAS, etc. An old desktop, thin client, etc. May suffice.

But if you start dealing with projects, hobbyist stuff, etc. The RPi may still be preferable, if not a requirement.

The shortage was a pain for me as I needed an RPi for my Amiga 1200, I ended up having to repurpose the RPi I use for my 3D printer. I managed to repurpose an old 'computestick' I had lying around but it wasn't as easy to setup and does have issues e.g. poor wifi.

Apparently though there are commercial users of RPis, which has at least been a contributor to the shortage.
That’s a fair point. I guess McDonald’s isn’t going to want to deal with a desktop/nas situation to display menus when they can just use the pi as a plug and play solution

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Only found out about this after waking up at 2am for reasons… Put in an order. I miss my little emu box… I just hope this is worth it. I’d also have hoped they would stop using the shitty micro hdmi connections.
Post automatically merged:

Why is it supposed to cost 35$? All other SBC's I can find for 35$ is nowhere close to rpi5 spec
Precedent set by older models. So people expect all future revisions to be around the same price. It’s not a bad assumption to make, but it’s understandably more expensive this time around. I just hope the power bump justifies the price.

Reactions: duffman2k

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pis just aren’t worth it anymore outside
PIs and similar mini-PCs/ dev boards are sold not only for their price, but for their form factor.
I'd buy it for the saved space alone, if I could buy at MSRP.

This thing (actually, anything, really) costs $60, but it's sold by US scaplers for $200, and comes to my country costing $500.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I remember playing around with this at some point. People have told me the potential of raspberry Pi but i didn't really follow into it. My father turned the same one into a media server which is pretty awesome. What else can you do with it?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suspect most people here use the pi in ways where speed isn't an issue. though they maybe haven't tried to play ps2 games off an sd card, so we'll see how that goes.

but I agree. having 2.5 and nvme would have made the price point far more attractive. but they might add it in the b revision, and are using this release to focus on the basics most people will be using. most applications don't need it, and that's usually how they make their decisions.

my guess is with no nvme and only sd, the gigabit lan was not the limiting factor. why put 2.5gbe when you're running on an sd or usb 3 external? we'll see how fast the improved usb is, but running everything on sd cards or external over usb will limit extended use-cases. micro-hdmi isn't fun, but two camera ports are quite nice.

Last edited by osaka35,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway