Homebrew [RELEASE] Aroma Environment for Wii U

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering, seems like this would be the superior method for homebrew moving forward. But I still would like to know if it can be more like haxchi. The difference here is after installing haxchi the sd card isn't required for using it. Only for loading homebrew from the homebrew loader. Of course you would want to use homebrew so that isn't a problem for most. But can still use homebrew injected homebrew or games.

But I can't load this aroma without a sd card. What if the sd card slot dies? Is the only choice to just get someone to repair it or get a new console? With haxchi, I can still load that. I can still load my injected installed homebrew apps or games.

I'm not trying to put down anyone who made this. I think it's a great improvement. But I'm probably not the only one thinking how unreliable the sd card slot is. Also the constant use of taking it out and putting it in to install or update homebrew between pc & console may not help the poor sd card that much. :ninja:

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am wondering, seems like this would be the superior method for homebrew moving forward. But I still would like to know if it can be more like haxchi. The difference here is after installing haxchi the sd card isn't required for using it. Only for loading homebrew from the homebrew loader. Of course you would want to use homebrew so that isn't a problem for most. But can still use homebrew injected homebrew or games.

But I can't load this aroma without a sd card. What if the sd card slot dies? Is the only choice to just get someone to repair it or get a new console? With haxchi, I can still load that. I can still load my injected installed homebrew apps or games.

I'm not trying to put down anyone who made this. I think it's a great improvement. But I'm probably not the only one thinking how unreliable the sd card slot is. Also the constant use of taking it out and putting it in to install or update homebrew between pc & console may not help the poor sd card that much. :ninja:
Never got the sd card slot is unreliable. I had my system since 2012 and still works like a charm.

BrothersFiveGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Understandable concerns. One workaround though is a plugin for an FTP server is now always running with Aroma, so you can feasibly leave your SD card in the Wii U and do any file manipulation you need to over FTP. Yes FTP is slower than a PC's file transfer rate but if the files you're moving aren't too large it's a nice feature instead of constantly taking your card in and out, especially if you're just trying to test something or fix something to make it works. This doesn't address if the slot dies some day but it removes the wear and tear issue.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

I've basically abused way too much a Wii and my only Wii U while developing and testing. A lot of SD cards went there. Not a single issue with the slot. The consoles are now 10+ years.

Using FTP is your only other choice.

Menacer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Since I don't have my system set up ATM:
Can anyone try if the games that did not work with spiik run with the region free plugin? That would be the most significant improvement for me.
Example: US/EUR version of Captain Toad on Japanese WiiU

Reactions: Kopimist

MeatSafeMurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to see this released! I can't wait to see what further developments this leads to.

That SOMEONE is people from redump, archive, tosec, etc. Not the average joe ...
Respectfully, I disagree. Projects like redump, archive.org etc are great, and they play a necessary role...but such projects can and do get abandoned or disappear. For preservation to outlive an individual or organisation it needs to be decentralised. That means it *does* fall on the average joe. It falls on them to make sure that their dumps are good and that they store them in proper lossless formats. I'm not saying that you need to dedicate terrabytes upon terrabytes of data to every ROM dump ever created, but you never know what might happen. It's not outside the realms of possibility that circumstances may occur that result in you having one of the last digital copies of somesuch media...it has happened before...so you should make sure it's taken care of just in case.

I keep a fair chunk of my PC library installed for this very reason, well over 2TB. Not because I can't redownload them from Steam, GOG etc at any time, and not because I think that either company is going to disappear tomorrow...but what if they did? I do it just in case.

x_ght

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Since I don't have my system set up ATM:
Can anyone try if the games that did not work with spiik run with the region free plugin? That would be the most significant improvement for me.
Example: US/EUR version of Captain Toad on Japanese WiiU
I dont know about capt Toad but MK8 have the same problem and some user post here that the EUR/USA ver. works fine on jap's wiiU

Reactions: ArgoRV

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of Aroma plugins (maybe even Tiramisu?) one occurred to me that would be pretty kickass if we could do it. Games that use NFC not made by Nintendo (Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions) all had to use a separate NFC reader pod to connect to a USB port on the Wii U. Could a plugin for these modern environments be created to trick the Wii U into thinking the Gamepad's built in NFC reader is the same external NFC reader used in these other games? To me this doesn't seem like too far of a cry away from what bloopair does, so I would think this might be achievable, but of course I could totally be talking out of my ass here too haha. Regardless, this seems like a cool idea that I'd love to see happen if possible.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
What if the sd card slot dies?
I think you are worrying too much. Yes, the slot can also die...but I think until that happens is Plum Whitsun when the apples are ripe xD

I have a Launch Wii standing here. And the thing still does everything as it should be ;) (stupid comparison i know, but still it's a console xD)

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Sometimes my SD slot just refuses to read my SD card, and that wasn't limited to my current Wii U, my previous one did the same, my two Wii, DSi and 3DS (with multiple SD cards, just to be clear)

I'm not saying this is a widespread problem with SD slots, but they clearly aren't that reliable...

Reactions: ber71

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HgOvEYrDc