Homebrew [RELEASE] ctrQuake - Quake 1 port

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think its in the same folder im not sure but try it.
actually, taking a closer look at it, it looks like I may have to compile this. cause I already have a mod that was made and packaged with a shortcut by somebody else, and the data folder went in the ctrquake folder.

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, taking a closer look at it, it looks like I may have to compile this. cause I already have a mod that was made and packaged with a shortcut by somebody else, and the data folder went in the ctrquake folder.
You don't need to compile anything if the mod doesn't require any changes to the engine. Just copy the mod folder to the ctrQuake folder and create a shortcut. The .xml file is just a shortcut with launch paramaters. If the mod does require engine modifications, you are going to have to port it.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to compile anything if the mod doesn't require any changes to the engine. Just copy the mod folder to the ctrQuake folder and create a shortcut. The .xml file is just a shortcut with launch paramaters. If the mod does require engine modifications, you are going to have to port it.
so i just click on it in homebrew launcher?

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Create a folder inside ctrQuake's folder, for this example just call it killer.
Unzip KQP220Z.zip inside that folder (smdc:/3ds/ctrQuake/killer)
Create a file called killer.xml with the following content:
Code:
<shortcut>
    <name>Killer Quake</name>
    <executable>/3ds/ctrQuake/ctrQuake.3dsx</executable>
    <arg>-game killer</arg>
</shortcut>
Place that file in your 3ds folder (sdmc:/3ds)
Launch it from the homebrew launcher

Reactions: Itzumi

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Create a folder inside ctrQuake's folder, for this example just call it killer.
Unzip KQP220Z.zip inside that folder (smdc:/3ds/ctrQuake/killer)
Create a file called killer.xml with the following content:
Code:
<shortcut>
    <name>Killer Quake</name>
    <executable>/3ds/ctrQuake/ctrQuake.3dsx</executable>
    <arg>-game killer</arg>
</shortcut>
Place that file in your 3ds folder (sdmc:/3ds)
Launch it from the homebrew launcher
thank you very much for the help!

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if ctrQuake can run either of the Quake expansion packs?
The 3DSX version can.

Won't load 2 and others chapters of singleplay. Writes that e2m1.bsp cant' find
This only comes with the shareware episode, you need to provide the rest of the game files yourself.

Reactions: x149te

Purplstuph

Quake Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
say i heard that this could run mods. is that true?
I can play a quake deathmatch mod and a few others. You just need to test them yourself as not all of them will run perfectly.
Quake 1 Arena runs quite well and so does singleplayer deathmatch vs monsters

Last edited by Purplstuph,
Reactions: Itzumi

Antnommer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I've added ctrQuake to my 3DS, and I'm trying to run Kurok, but I'm getting a "translation - section" crash. Other homebrew like prBoom and ctrQuake itself seems to be fine. I'm on 11.9 firmware with the latest and greatest versions of all of the stuff recommended by the 3DS hacking guide. Here's a list of relevant folders and files on the SD card:

SD\3ds\Kurok.3dsx
SD\3ds\Kurok.elf
SD\3ds\Kurok.smdh
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\keyboardOverlay.bin
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\touchOverlay.bin
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\ctrQuake.smdh
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\id1\
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\Kurok\
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\ctrQuake.3dsx

I've attached a screenshot of the error. The forums won't let me upload the crash dump file generated but I can host that elsewhere if needed.

From what little I've been able to find by Googling, the fix for this error is usually to create or install some localization file through TitleDB. I was having the same crash with ctrQuake before, but then I installed the CIA through TitleDB and it works fine. But no such luck with Kurok. I've tried deleting my 0000008f folder. I've also tried creating a mod XML file as suggested above in this thread, and launching that instead of the one that automatically shows up in the homebrew launcher. I've used both crtQuake's and Kurok's versions of the keyboardOverlay.bin and touchOverlay.bin files. Otherwise I haven't been able to really find any other things to try to get it to work. Can anyone offer me any other things to try?

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 257

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello! I've added ctrQuake to my 3DS, and I'm trying to run Kurok, but I'm getting a "translation - section" crash. Other homebrew like prBoom and ctrQuake itself seems to be fine. I'm on 11.9 firmware with the latest and greatest versions of all of the stuff recommended by the 3DS hacking guide. Here's a list of relevant folders and files on the SD card:

SD\3ds\Kurok.3dsx
SD\3ds\Kurok.elf
SD\3ds\Kurok.smdh
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\id1\
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\Kurok\

I've attached a screenshot of the error. The forums won't let me upload the crash dump file generated but I can host that elsewhere if needed.

From what little I've been able to find by Googling, the fix for this error is usually to create or install some localization file through TitleDB. I was having the same crash with ctrQuake before, but then I installed the CIA through TitleDB and it works fine. But no such luck with Kurok. I've tried deleting my 0000008f folder. I've also tried creating a mod XML file as suggested above in this thread, and launching that instead of the one that automatically shows up in the homebrew launcher. I've used both crtQuake's and Kurok's versions of the keyboardOverlay.bin and touchOverlay.bin files. Otherwise I haven't been able to really find any other things to try to get it to work. Can anyone offer me any other things to try?

Try placing the Kurok.3dsx and Kurok.smdh inside e.g. "sdmc:/3ds/Kurok/"
They shouldn't be placed in the root of the 3DS folder.

Last edited by MrHuu,

Antnommer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try placing the Kurok.3dsx and Kurok.smdh inside e.g. "sdmc:/3ds/Kurok/"
They shouldn't be placed in the root of the 3DS folder.

Okay, I've got my files like this now:

SD\3ds\Kurok.elf
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\id1\
SD\3ds\ctrQuake\Kurok\
SD\3ds\Kurok\Kurok.3dsx
SD\3ds\Kurok\Kurok.smdh

Still no luck. I then tried moving the Kurok.3dsx and Kurok.smdh files into SD\3ds\ctrQuake\, but then Kurok doesn't show up in the homebrew launcher. It's weird because ctrQuake's .3dsx still shows up here. I also noticed that while I can run the CIA version of ctrQuake fine from the homescreen, running the 3dsx version from the homebrew launcher gives me the same error as Kurok has been.

I had my files placed in the original way because of this line from the Kurok release thread:

Installation: Put the Kurok folder inside /3ds/ctrQuake and the 3dsx, elf and smdh files in the 3ds directory.

Edit: Someone on Discord showed me their install setup that's working on their device (a new 3DS) and it worked for them. Same setup as what I started with in my first post here. I moved everything back to that but still no luck. I guess Kurok just doesn't work on an original 2DS? I don't know what else could be different.

Last edited by Antnommer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't know how I missed this https://youtu.be/OgLD1yhxNik?si=I94vWUB9-LcKc5jR