Homebrew [RELEASE] ctrQuake - Quake 1 port

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks great!

One suggestion: When pushing the toggle button the lower screen will switch between different types of layouts. For example:
1. Keyboard on the lower screen. (Just like on your picture)
2. Lower screen filled with black pixels (just like @elhobbs stuff) besides the toggle button (I prefer this mode)
3. Keep the color scheme of the lower screen intact, but remove the keyboard
4. The last one is probably very difficult. But it is the one I want most. Move/clone/mirror/duplicate/or any other method to make the two menu bars visable at the lower screen. But at the same time have the gameplay window at 400x240 :)
1 and 3 are what I have now, I don't really like the 2 idea but I guess its just blanking the bottom screen. 4 at the moment would really hurt the performance

Reactions: SLiV3R

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
1 and 3 are what I have now, I don't really like the 2 idea but I guess its just blanking the bottom screen. 4 at the moment would really hurt the performance

Yup. 2 is doing black pixels/blanking. If it is much trouble with coding that, you could perhaps copy elhobbs or Rinnegatamante blanking? But it is your project, so the decision is yours! :)

I know number 4 would hurt performance. But I believe that the N3DS could handle it! (Even though it would result in slightly lower fps, I think I would prefer this mode)

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. 2 is doing black pixels/blanking. If it is much trouble with coding that, you could perhaps copy elhobbs or Rinnegatamante blanking? But it is your project, so the decision is yours! :)

I know number 4 would hurt performance. But I believe that the N3DS could handle it! (Even though it would result in slightly lower fps, I think I would prefer this mode)
Blanking is easy. I will only try to move the hud to the bottom if I'm successful with the performance tweak I'm trying to implement

Reactions: SLiV3R

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I only did that so that I could still have some stdout stuff print on the bottom screen. It worked out well for heretic3ds because it has the perfect amount of space for the automap on the bottom screen. Heretic3ds uses 3D hardware rendering so it was a little easier to move.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I only did that so that I could still have some stdout stuff print on the bottom screen. It worked out well for heretic3ds because it has the perfect amount of space for the automap on the bottom screen. Heretic3ds uses 3D hardware rendering so it was a little easier to move.

Ok! My first choice (if I may dream) in all these wonderful ports is moving the hud to the lower screen. Then I actually prefer the Heretic3ds alternative, to make the lower screen black, besides the little square :)

Edit: It is always good with alternatives, we all prefer different settings :)

Last edited by SLiV3R,

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think showing the "shift" symbols full size is necessary, if they were smaller it'd be easier to read.

I'm not a huge fan of touchscreen keyboards in the first place, but this looks pretty good. I especially like the generic buttons for binds.

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think showing the "shift" symbols full size is necessary, if they were smaller it'd be easier to read.

I'm not a huge fan of touchscreen keyboards in the first place, but this looks pretty good. I especially like the generic buttons for binds.
Shift symbols? The keyboard isn't used all the time, so the touch keyboard is the best way to go

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shift symbols? The keyboard isn't used all the time, so the touch keyboard is the best way to go
1 to !
2 to @
, to <
. to >

I have no idea what they're actually called.

Touchscreen keyboards are a personal preference thing. I like buttons more than touchscreens because of the physical feedback.

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 to !
2 to @
, to <
. to >

I have no idea what they're actually called.

Touchscreen keyboards are a personal preference thing. I like buttons more than touchscreens because of the physical feedback.
I have to render than the same size because of the low resolution

TarableCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There's a rather easy/hacky way of doing that that I've done before on other projects. (non 3ds)
Have a buffer just big enough to hold the status bar and set the drawing buffer to it before the status bar is drawn, making modifications so that draws at 0,0 and not 0,whatever.

After that just copy it to a texture and render it on the bottom screen.
Shouldn't take tooooo much processing power to do, but haven't looked if you were using Citro3D or writing directly to the framebuffer.

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a rather easy/hacky way of doing that that I've done before on other projects. (non 3ds)
Have a buffer just big enough to hold the status bar and set the drawing buffer to it before the status bar is drawn, making modifications so that draws at 0,0 and not 0,whatever.

After that just copy it to a texture and render it on the bottom screen.
Shouldn't take tooooo much processing power to do, but haven't looked if you were using Citro3D or writing directly to the framebuffer.
The buffer has to be rotated and looked up on a pallete before it can be copied to the framebuffer

TarableCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's probably faster to use Citro3D and copy it to a texture, no rotation needed plus you get "free" linear scaling.
I do hate the fact that there's no indexed colour modes though, that's pretty BS imho...

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably faster to use Citro3D and copy it to a texture, no rotation needed plus you get "free" linear scaling.
I do hate the fact that there's no indexed colour modes though, that's pretty BS imho...
I don't use citro3d, and citro3d would make it slower because of color palletes and tiling

Edit: If you are talking about hardware rendering, that is going to take some time to implement, and I probably won't use citro3d

Last edited by MasterFeizz,

TarableCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really that much slower, if at all.
GX_DisplayTransfer takes an insignificant amount of time and you can have the source tiled for you.

You still need to do Indexed->RGB8 which is going to be the most expensive operation but you'd have to do that anyway.
Btw... If you figure out a fast way to do that lemme know because it's goddamn expensive especially on the o3ds.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really that much slower, if at all.
GX_DisplayTransfer takes an insignificant amount of time and you can have the source tiled for you.

You still need to do Indexed->RGB8 which is going to be the most expensive operation but you'd have to do that anyway.
Btw... If you figure out a fast way to do that lemme know because it's goddamn expensive especially on the o3ds.
I tried doing some tests to have the display transfer engine tile textures and it was really slow. The manual software copy/tile was considerably faster and the source didn't need to be in linear. Maybe I was doing something wrong...

TarableCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just did a quick test and it seems the max time in milliseconds to convert and upload a 512x384 framebuffer to RGB565 is around 10ms. It looks as if the display transfer is taking < 1ms, most of the heavy lifting is done by a simple lookup table but it takes the longest time.

qVCaize.jpg

I'd be interested to see how fast the alternative of drawing right to the framebuffer is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1