IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
image-1024x376.png

This is a full English translation patch for E.X. Troopers, a spin-off game in the Lost Planet series and exclusive to Japan on PS3 and 3DS. November 22, 2022 marks the 10th anniversary of the game’s original release.

After 7 years of working on this project, we are excited to finally share our results. We have faced so many challenges while translating this game, ranging from reverse engineering the game's files, overcoming multiple technical limitations of the game's engine, translating over 17,000 individual Japanese lines, replacing hundreds of speech bubbles in pre-rendered videos, to releasing this patch for two completely different systems simultaneously.

We have poured so much into making this and are proud to finally release it.

Credits​

BrenKitty1.png

EtokapaProject Coordinator, Videos, Textures, 3DS/PS3 Playtesting, Additional Writing, Quality Control
phenomenal fleaLocalization, Writing, 3DS Playtesting, Quality Control
IcySon55 (FTI)Programming, File Reverse Engineering, File Extraction/Insertion (Kuriimu, Kukkii, Karameru), Font Generator (Kuriimu2), Patcher (Knit), Workflow Optimization, Troubleshooting
Special Thanks
onepiecefreak (FTI)Text Engine Reverse Engineering and Support, HFS ARC Support, Programming
Neobeo (FTI)3DS Video & Texture Reverse Engineering, Programming, 3DS Patcher Support
Anonymous TesterPS3 Playtesting, Quality Control
Uwabami (Scarlet Study)Additional 3DS Patching Support
rd2k33DS Video Encoding Research
neonmazeAdditional Localization Support
an-errorPS3 Executable Reverse Engineering, Programming
FluffyQuackFile Reverse Engineering Research (ARCTool), Programming
iiotenkiFile Research, Localization Advice
Lost Planet Discord ServerMoral Support
ajiponnPatcher Music

BrenKitty1.png

Info​

Visit: E.X. Troopers English Translation

Last edited by IcySon55,

rd2k3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wow, I'm so happy to see a more dedicated and professional translation than mine after so many years of hard work. Congratulations IcySon55 and the entire team responsible for the project.

Reactions: IcySon55

IcySon55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by IcySon55,

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, I'm glad I didn't play the other fan translation someone else did that had... some interesting lines. Not bashing the person though, I personally found what little I played to be freaking HILARIOUS!!!
Either way it's nice to see translations going on for overseas games and I appreciate the work! Can't wait to try it!

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Haha, I'm glad I didn't play the other fan translation someone else did that had... some interesting lines. Not bashing the person though, I personally found what little I played to be freaking HILARIOUS!!!
Either way it's nice to see translations going on for overseas games and I appreciate the work! Can't wait to try it!
The localised mission names are great - the puns work in English rather than being literal translations.
I now have a better understanding of many scenes and repeated phrases (sonna konna de, keko &c.), but I actually slightly miss the weird lines from the loading screens:
[Can't remember the adjective] lubrificant that floats! (Julie loves the smell of engine oil in the air)
If you want to live, feel free to die! (Demon Walter needs you to concentrate in lectures so you don't die in the field)

kenshin50sent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why, but the 3DS .CIA file isn't installing correctly for me. I downloaded from the torrent twice just in case it got corrupted somehow the first time. Might try using the QR code later to see if that would make a difference. I had played the previous translated project and that installed just fine. I went through and deleted the game from titles and the ticket as well before doing a fresh install. It shows up in titles, but launching it from FBI I only get a black screen. Also other games are still installing just fine. 🤔 I really want to play and enjoy this in English with the work you guys put into this.

IcySon55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure why, but the 3DS .CIA file isn't installing correctly for me. I downloaded from the torrent twice just in case it got corrupted somehow the first time. Might try using the QR code later to see if that would make a difference. I had played the previous translated project and that installed just fine. I went through and deleted the game from titles and the ticket as well before doing a fresh install. It shows up in titles, but launching it from FBI I only get a black screen. Also other games are still installing just fine. 🤔 I really want to play and enjoy this in English with the work you guys put into this.
Make sure you don't have any files for the game in sd:/luma/titles/ that would break things. Such as the previous translation.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, works jist fine for me with digital download version of ex troopers. All I did is purchase the game (using a JPN region N3DS) and install the translation cia patch.

I also had a disc version of the game on ps3, that also works really well.

Comparing between two, the ps3 version is more polished specially on comic style story event.

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

IcySon55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for your continued work on this. Can I just install this patch over the already-patched game, or do I need to start from a fresh copy?
On 3DS you just install overtop of the existing patch.

Classy touch. Nice one :D
He did solve one of the 3DS hurdles which was re-encoding the videos and had no problem sharing that with our team. So of course he's in the credits!

Last edited by IcySon55,
Reactions: Maximumbeans

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
is it FULLY translated? is it DONE? hell yes, i've wanted to play this since i got my 3DS, but im too old to try to figure out games in japanese. Last time i tried was with 7th dragon 2020. I don't think i'll do it again.

if it's done i'll go download it ASAP, otherwise i might wait a few months and see how it develops and people's comments, since i don't have much time anyways now. Thanks for your work nonetheless.
10 years? damn..

IcySon55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is it FULLY translated? is it DONE? hell yes, i've wanted to play this since i got my 3DS, but im too old to try to figure out games in japanese. Last time i tried was with 7th dragon 2020. I don't think i'll do it again.

if it's done i'll go download it ASAP, otherwise i might wait a few months and see how it develops and people's comments, since i don't have much time anyways now. Thanks for your work nonetheless.
10 years? damn..
Yes, the first release was complete. This update fixes a few errors and adds bubble subtitles to a PS3 video.

FTI has never released partial or unfinished translations.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol