Religion. The Last Debate

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 28,213
  • Replies 428

Is there a God? Do you believe in God?

• Yes, there is a God. My reason is posted.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there is no God. My reason is posted.

• There may or may not be a God. I'm not sure.

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

OP
Law said:
I think we're just some game of SimCity that some kid left running after giving up because he couldn't figure out how to keep people happy
If that was true - who's building the roads and power stations? 0-o

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jet™ said:
DarkLG said:
_Chaz_ said:
jet™ said:
_Chaz_ said:
Religion exists.

Is it needed? I don't think so. It just gives us one more reason to disagree and fight about it.

Does God exist? I don't think so. I'd like to, but if one did than it's doing a pretty awful job.
How can you say God's doing an awful job?
Have you seen the news lately?

If there was a God (or at least a competent one) monitoring all of this, he/she would never have let things get this bad.
He's not going to fix evry problem the wolrd has that's on humanity to do they fucked up so they should fix .
exactly - God put us in charge of this world and it's up to us to keep it good. Look at all the good things that have happened - where you live, the fact that you are clothed, you have money, food.
Where I live, that I am clothed, I have money and food.

I am an but a very small part of the world's population.

Please explain to me what God actually does if there is even one monitoring us. If there is, what's the use?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
jet™ said:
Law said:
I think we're just some game of SimCity that some kid left running after giving up because he couldn't figure out how to keep people happy

We became self aware and figured out how to do it for ourselves

(he was playing a version of SimCity that we haven't developed yet which has that feature)

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
DarkLG said:
_Chaz_ said:
jet™ said:
_Chaz_ said:
Religion exists.

Is it needed? I don't think so. It just gives us one more reason to disagree and fight about it.

Does God exist? I don't think so. I'd like to, but if one did than it's doing a pretty awful job.
Have you seen the news lately?

If there was a God (or at least a competent one) monitoring all of this, he/she would never have let things get this bad.
He's not going to fix evry problem the wolrd has that's on humanity to do they fucked up so they should fix .
What was God originally thought to do? Was he/she not supposed to help mankind thrive if the name of him/her was spread?

Look at the world now. Some of the most religious countries are not doing well at all.

If mankind was supposed to do everything themselves and fix their own problems, why would there be a God?
No disrespect but you clearly have never read any religious books at all. God created us(if you believe that) we fucked up by disobeying.Things start going wrong so he leaves it on our hands to try and fix them.He's original intent for creating us was to have company but we fucked that up.The reasons the religious contries are not doing so well is just not good enough to blame religion for their problems.
And to the whole I shit um He keeps you alive on earth,He lets you breathe air um any other reasons I should give?

D

Deleted User

OP
There is really no such thing as the “innocent” suffering.

Since “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23), there is no one who has the right to freedom from God's wrath on the basis of his own innocence.

Law said:
jet™ said:
Law said:

(he was playing a version of SimCity that we haven't developed yet which has that feature)
So, we have become self aware and devloped AI which we as humans have not even perfected yet.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jet™ said:
DarkLG said:
exactly - God put us in charge of this world and it's up to us to keep it good. Look at all the good things that have happened - where you live, the fact that you are clothed, you have money, food.
So what is the point of prayer if you already know God won't answer?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
jet™ said:
How can you not say he's doing an awful job? If God exists, he sucks at his job. Seriously.
First creating man, and then punish them because they exist? What the fuck, God is a fucking sadist.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
jet™ said:

Since “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23), there is no one who has the right to freedom from God's wrath on the basis of his own innocence.

So would an all-forgiving God really hold generations upon generations of people responsible for someone elese sins? Wouldn't that make him prejudiced?

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
jet™ said:
Law said:
jet™ said:
Law said:

So, we have become self aware and devloped AI which we as humans have not even perfected yet.

Like I said, we haven't developed that version of SimCity yet.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
No disrespect but you clearly have never read any religious books at all. God created us(if you believe that) we fucked up by disobeying.Things start going wrong so he leaves it on our hands to try and fix them.He's original intent for creating us was to have company but we fucked that up.The reasons the religious contries are not doing so well is just not good enough to blame religion for their problems.

Well I have read plenty on religion, and I must be one of the only full time church attending atheists (long story.) Anyways, if there is a natural explanation for something, why make it more complicated with a magical explanation? It doesn't explain anything then, it's just saying "we don't know." Somehow humans came to exist on earth (I would say abiogenesis/evolution,) and we are acting like humans. It is absolutely ludicrous (imo) to take things like Adam and Eve or Noah's flood as anything more than allegorical.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Religion exists. God does not.

This is just my honest opinion, so please don't hate on me for saying so:
Religion is not needed nor does it do any resulting good on Earth. Those who needed religion in their lives (to follow God) has needed to do so because he has encountered obstacles in life that he cannot overcome (well) and needs something to fall back on. Simply put, religious persons cannot stand on their own two feet. They pray for guidance from the Lord, and in the end, any resulting successes will be "because of God". This is not true; that person got his own life back on track with false beliefs.

Religion along with ethnic differences causes many conflicts in the world. In the end, it's simply because "our God doesn't believe that's right" or something along the lines.

In our world, nothing truly exists unless physically proven.
We haven't seen pigs with wings and tiger fangs so they don't exist.
We haven't seen any of God's acts therefore he doesn't exist.

D

Deleted User

OP
TrolleyDave said:
jet™ said:

So would an all-forgiving God really hold generations upon generations of people responsible for someone elese sins? Wouldn't that make him prejudiced?
According to Genesis 1:26-27, God created each of us the same and He holds no race higher than any other race, "Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness...So God created man in His own image.'" In I John 2:2, the Bible says that Jesus died for all sins, "And He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but for the sins of the whole world." If God believed that one race was better than another, he would not have sent his only Son to die for the entire world. Other verses in the Bible about prejudice include Deuteronomy 10:17, "For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of Lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward." Also, Acts 10:34 says, "Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, 'Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons." Finally, Jesus said in John 13:34, " A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
jet™ said:
TrolleyDave said:
jet™ said:

According to Genesis 1:26-27, God created each of us the same and He holds no race higher than any other race, "Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness...So God created man in His own image.'" In I John 2:2, the Bible says that Jesus died for all sins, "And He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but for the sins of the whole world." If God believed that one race was better than another, he would not have sent his only Son to die for the entire world. Other verses in the Bible about prejudice include Deuteronomy 10:17, "For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of Lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward." Also, Acts 10:34 says, "Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, 'Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons." Finally, Jesus said in John 13:34, " A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."

According to this book I wrote five minutes ago, Chapter 2 Section 5 Paragraph B7 states "Why do people even bother debating religion if all they're going to do is quote from a book which for all we know is a work of fiction?"

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the prayer thing think really carefully usually the same people that pray for help are the same people that turn around and go do stupid shit that I guess would count as sin.Would you really want to answer someone that you know is just going to keep doind stuff he or she shouldn't?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
DarkLG said:
And to the whole I shit um He keeps you alive on earth,He lets you breathe air um any other reasons I should give?
Disobeying... what the fuck's with that? God created us, you say? Then he knew we would disobey.
He leaves us to try and fix what he caused? His original intent for creating us was to have company, you say? He knew we'd fuck that up.
Why punish us for doing something that he made us do? If he keeps us alive, why do lots of people die from cancer, why do disasters happen?
Were all hurricanes and eruption punishment for our sins? Sins that he made us do?

If god exists, he's a dick, a sadist and a whole of a lot of awful things more.

Edit: typo...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Given we have more evidence of the multiverse and possible parallel universe's co-existing within even an atom's distance away (and possibly even containing branching realities based upon significant choices in our lives) derived from String and M-Theory and Brane Cosmology, than God existing, i think that the chances of a supreme being are slim.

But seeing as Religion is all about "Faith" i'm guessing that it doesn't matter...if you have faith that God exists that's seen as the challenge. Ultimately everyone is an atheist when they're in dire straits? No-one takes Pascal's wager when they're at risk of death...they do their level best to survive!

D

Deleted User

OP
Law said:
jet™ said:
TrolleyDave said:
jet™ said:

According to this book I wrote five minutes ago, Chapter 2 Section 5 Paragraph B7 states "Why do people even bother debating religion if all they're going to do is quote from a book which for all we know is a work of fiction?"

Is the bible fiction? The answer to the question is - it depends...
Much of the Bible is historical fact, proved time after time by archaeology and new archaeological techniques. Some parts of the Old Testament are hebrew folklaw - including Genesis - but intermixed with that folklaw are real truths. As an example, the story of Adam and eve is very true, whether or not Adam and eve existed! 'Adam' means 'man' and 'Eve' means 'from Man' - so Adam and eve can repreent Humanity. The truth at the heart of the Adam and Eve story is that mankind was once in relatioship with God, but that mankind rebelled because he thought he knew best - and the result is the mess we have today. So although some Bible stories may be thought of as myths, they hide great truths abou the human soul.
Some parts of the Old testament are historical - especially the book of Exodus, and t Two books of Kings etc. Some are prophetic - Isaiah, Jeremiah etc - books that are written by men close to God, telling the people about God and warning them when they rebel against God. Some books are Literature - Job for instance. Again, whether or not Job actually existed as a historical person is not important, but the profound truths behind why there is suffering and the part God plays in the fallen world are extremely relevant to modern society.
The new testament books - the gospels and Acts, are historical and have been verified and checked more than any other ancient literature. And they have been verified by modern archaeology. Most of the rest of the New testament is taken up with letters written to the early churches by Paul and other writers. So being factual or otherwise is again irrelevant; they contain wonderful words of guidance and encouragement (and sometimes chastisement!) that is still as fresh and relevant today as when they were written 2000 years ago. Finally The revelation of John - the last book of the Bible is written in apocalyptic style - as a record of a vision he had. The book tells what he saw as his vision of the end of the world and the last judgement. It cannot be 'proved' as fact as it hasn't yet happened... but then it can't be proved as fiction either. Not is it easy to understand. Even the simplest part - the number of the 'beast' as 666, has had whole books written about it.
Therefore, one cannot say the Bible is Fact, period, or Fiction, period. It depends upon the part and exactly what you mean by fact or fiction. However, what you can say is that all the writers were inspired by God in their writings, and, quite frankly, nothing has ever come close as a blueprint for human guidance, comfort, revolution, God's revelation of himself, and, ultimately salvation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it