• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Resumes with a female name were 41% more likely to receive a callback than resumes with a male name for software engineering jobs

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
https://economics.yale.edu/sites/default/files/marley_finley.senior_essay.pdf

I wonder what are the feminists going to say about this.

Imagine working your ass off and then getting turned down because you don't have a vagigia.
I hope to see more and more men crying for being discriminated, as women have been exploited by men since 4000 bc (maybe it is even more, much more). So we own them like 6000 years of privileges to make things even.

That said, I'll not even bother in reading the paper, as man still gets much more money in most (if not all) nations on this fucking world. Loose examples of the opposite will appear, the big picture still remains the same sadly.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From a quick read that's a pretty well executed essay and fairly solid experiment to boot, kudos for that. However, there a few point to criticize before the conclusion can be generalized more broadly.

The biggest point would be that the experiment focused on younger firms (Start-ups to be precise) and doesn't include more, longer established companies. The experiment itself found that any additional year since the founding decreases the positive discrimination for woman, up to the point where the author estimates that it will turn to negative discrimination near the 10 year anniversary of the company.
One of the reasons this skew may be the case is the possibility that younger companies are spearheaded by younger people that are aware of the existing problems with woman in STEM fields and are thus subconsciously biased to be more willing to hire some of the arguably rare woman in the field. Whether out of being "woke" or knowing that it'll be great optics is another can of worms.

Second, this is an essay with an experiment, it's not a peer reviewed paper with a proper study conducted. While the author had guidance by a professor when performing the experiment it's veracity would still need to be proven with a more robust study that accounts for more variables, and hopefully more diversity in companies. Just going for startups and only sending one application to every company doesn't account for errors within the companies themselves.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

There is a simple explanation for this. Besides the idea that women are generally less intimidating to talk to, they end up having to pay less. Men are more likely to negotiate for a higher salary where women are more likely willing to settle for the "social status". I like to putting "Tabzera" on my resume because it sounds more attractive and increases the chance for a callbacks. When they find out that I am sexy, smart, and easy to get along with, I get the job.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: caipora

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how much of this is due to the increased focus on women in STEM industries.

I have never believed that gender has anything to do with a person's potential or capacity. But, this is the society we live in, today. I would hate to be reduced to my gender, whether it was for an advantage or as a form of discrimination.

Reactions: OM3GAZX

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So wait, if the study isn't even peer reviewed, what's the point in it being published like this?
It's not a study, it's an essay. Likely done as an assignment for a semester, under guidance of a professor. The essay was published by the university as it got a university internal award.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The big takeaway from this is that employers seem to just be reading names instead of entire resumes. The results of this should be interesting to watch. I can see the first time somebody hires a woman with a gender studies degree with zero programming experience because as far as they got was the name.

Interviewer: So your name suggests that you are a woman.

Interviewee: Yes, that is correct.

Interviewer: But I can see your dick.

Interviewee: Don't be a bigot!!

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I hope to see more and more men crying for being discriminated, as women have been exploited by men since 4000 bc (maybe it is even more, much more). So we own them like 6000 years of privileges to make things even.

That said, I'll not even bother in reading the paper, as man still gets much more money in most (if not all) nations on this fucking world. Loose examples of the opposite will appear, the big picture still remains the same sadly.
Bonus points if said programmer girls knows how to make sandwiches and bring the coffee.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So... can you make me a chilli dog pretty plz :rolleyes:
Oof, so tempted to reply that with EOF quality post, but I'm affraid that would cause this thread to get it moved to EOF...

So... I'm not a programmer, so I'm not in any position to bring the sandwiches. But feel free to ask for a weenie.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +1