Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, unless there's another surprise awaiting us, we have two other possibilities for the next Libretro core:

MAME, or MednaFen PCE.

...I want PCE more, personally. >~<
Oh is there a list with the upcomming cores somewhere? I would love to see Mupen64Plus (with touchscreen/rear-touchpad support for the missing buttons :wub:)

Last edited by VitaType,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh is there a list with the upcomming cores somewhere? I would love to see Mupen64Plus (with touchscreen/rear-touchpad support for the missing buttons :wub:)

There isn't. I'm simply going off of past experience with the 3DS RetroArch... y'know, when it had actual development support behind it.
Just somewhat educated guesswork here. Unless, again, there's another surprise waiting for us (I certainly didn't expect Stella, I think that's a new one for the portable Libretro ports).

Even though the 3DS scene basically "lended" us Vita-ers their energy to make Libretro happen and work as well as it does in such a short amount of time, I'm still appreciative we even got something out of all this. No disrespect meant towards anyone; it's just nice seeing more consoles getting the attention, and so damned well at that too.

Last edited by SeongGino,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure when it's coming, but excited for GBA. Hopefully it'll run well

Well, thus far we DO have mGBA available as a non-Libretro powered port on Vita.
That may be a bit before we get it. Or, again, it could be that surprise waiting to happen; who knows?

Reactions: Firion Hope

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Mupen64 is unlikely because it requires somebody to code an OpenGL renderer for the Vita. specifically for that core,

PCSX ReARMED is more likely now that we have Dynarec support because we know that already runs well on the New 3DS using Dynarec.

Firion Hope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, thus far we DO have mGBA available as a non-Libretro powered port on Vita.
That may be a bit before we get it. Or, again, it could be that surprise waiting to happen; who knows?

Indeed, heard the audio is pretty crackly though so I've been holding out.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Mupen64 is unlikely because it requires somebody to code an OpenGL renderer for the Vita. specifically for that core,

PCSX ReARMED is more likely now that we have Dynarec support because we know that already runs well on the New 3DS using Dynarec.

Although... PCSX seems redundant, since we have TN-X and PS1 things happening already on the Vita to begin with. Though it'd be neat, most certainly.
But yeah, Mupen's FAR from happening until either a damn good software renderer comes up (unlikely), or OpenGL is released proper for the unofficial Vita SDK (Which may be a while).

Indeed, heard the audio is pretty crackly though so I've been holding out.

Yeah, oddly enough, every non-Libretro port of an emulator has this issue. I don't know why... Then again, every other emulator it seems was made in a rush for HENkaku's surprise release so I'm not TOO surprised.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The new year-based naming for the Snes cores is really confusing, For starters, CATSFC and pocketSnes are already established and well-known established emulators. Also, while they are based on older versions of Snes9x, they are quite heavily modified for their target platforms. The new naming is a bit misleading.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Programming button inputs in RetroArch makes me want to kick puppies. Could this be made a little easier? Like, so I don't lock myself out of being able to choose options when I'm trying to set up a proper button configuration for Neo-Geo games. References to buttons like ABXY that neither the Neo-Geo or the Vita even have don't help either.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Well, it IS straight off the proverbial oven...
Killing two birds with one stone and marking this under "Nonfunctioning." PicoDrive, you have a friend now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Eyyy, we're the ONLY thread now! : D

...Go on.

And you'd be right in being confused! By default, RetroArch's key combo is, for some reason, L1 + R1 + Select + Start.
If you navigate to RetroArch -> Settings -> Input, you can change the Quick Menu pullup combo there. I personally use L1 + R1 + Down + Y (Square).

...Sounds like, however, you're new to Libretro as a whole. You'll need some time to adjust to the menus, but it's worth it as everything performs (so far) infinitely better than any standalone emulator available for HENkaku.

Thanks!
no worries I'm not new to it at all, been using it actively on PC for over a year now and have no issues setting it up or anything
it's just that on PC I either hit the home button of my controller or F1 to go to the menu, set up shaders and such and here i had no idea what the in-game menu was

I really appreciate the help

Shermo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Handy works fine, apart from arcade I have all roms in 7z format and open archive in retroarch been working well

IMG_20160806_121415.jpg

Funyarinpa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it normal that the 8/5 nightly build of CatSFC doesn't seem to be holding ingame saves? Tried FFIII (FFVI), Super Metroid and Super Mario World. Metroid did hold the beginning save of my game the second time around, but still doesn't load my next save after I restart the emulator. Save states work without issue.

xoleras20099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Programming button inputs in RetroArch makes me want to kick puppies. Could this be made a little easier? Like, so I don't lock myself out of being able to choose options when I'm trying to set up a proper button configuration for Neo-Geo games. References to buttons like ABXY that neither the Neo-Geo or the Vita even have don't help either.
Settings Menu inputs -> NeoGeo
B -> A on NeoGeo games
A -> B on NeoGeo games
Y -> C on NeoGeo games
X -> D on NeoGeo games

The default controls mimic the NeoGeo CD. Hopefully that helps you set it up how you want.

qLsgH6T.jpg

Reactions: cvskid and ArugulaZ

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Another day (In EST), another build.

I just set the menu to up on the right stick and it works beautifully

I ended up doing that as well (Well, down on the stick, not up. (^^; )

Is it normal that the 8/5 nightly build of CatSFC doesn't seem to be holding ingame saves? Tried FFIII (FFVI), Super Metroid and Super Mario World. Metroid did hold the beginning save of my game the second time around, but still doesn't load my next save after I restart the emulator. Save states work without issue.

Yeah, that's a problem globally; in-game save-based functionality doesn't work. Such as Neo-Geo not recognizing a virtual Memory Card.

Settings Menu inputs -> NeoGeo
B -> A on NeoGeo games
A -> B on NeoGeo games
Y -> C on NeoGeo games
X -> D on NeoGeo games

The default controls mimic the NeoGeo CD. Hopefully that helps you set it up how you want.

qLsgH6T.jpg

The way RetroArch does label buttons IS odd, but basically the generic control scheme is that the buttons are mapped out as a SNES controller.
O-> A
X -> B
[ ] -> Y
/\ -> X

So when you map buttons, the RetroPad button you're mapping to should follow that scheme. You shouldn't have to touch the Settings -> Input section ever, really, unless you want to change the Menu Quick Combo.

...Unless I misheard this whole thing and this was all superfluous in which case, whoops. (^^;;

EDIT: Thread updates:

Added new cores.
Removed SNES9X cores (Except 2002) NEW branding (If they are simply renamed CatSFC/PocketSNES, no need to treat them as new beasts).
Currently fixing up performance estimation list.

Last edited by SeongGino,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work