Rumor: two Switch hardware revisions entering production

hacs_001_imgebr_p_01_r_ad-0_lr.jpg

According to the Wall Street Journal, Nintendo is currently moving its production sites away from China, to an undisclosed location in South East Asia. The reason behind this move is the trade war between China and the US, with tariffs now applying to all Chinese-made electronic products. The WSJ is also revealing that two new models have entered production: a new, more powerful system that will resemble the current one; and a second "lite" model that will be sold at a cheaper price and look somewhat different.
The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Nintendo planned to update the Switch this year with two new models. One is set to look similar to the current model with beefed-up components, while the other is expected to be a less-expensive model with a new look.
People involved in the supply chain said production in Southeast Asia has started for the Switch, including the current type and the two new models, suggesting Nintendo is getting ready to introduce them soon. They didn’t give specific volume figures but said Nintendo wanted to have enough units to sell in the U.S., the largest market for videogame consoles, when the new products go on the market.
This has not been confirmed by Nintendo yet and nobody yet knows when these two new models will hit the market. But if this comes true, will The Witcher 3 run at a higher resolution than 540p on the new, more powerful model? Time will tell. Which of these models are you more likely to purchase?

:arrow: Source: WSJ

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Those are digital mockups though, from that website there.

There's literally no proof beyond wsjs insistence that there will be a remodel. And they likely just looked at past time lines and made a dumb guess.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Not sure if it was reported in this thread yet, but this website that sells Nintendo Switch accessories, has already added a category and page of new MINI accessories:

http://www.honsoncn.com/nintendo switch mini/

Complete with pictures, and full lineup, of travel bags, carry cases, and even screen protectors.
so its confirmed its a portable switch mini

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They're obviously getting the dimensions from somewhere, nobody sells accessories based on guesswork.

They're based on random crap people have mocked up. The same way unannounced games keep appearing on Amazon and other websites after random rumors.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I suppose it's possible until the accessories actually go on sale, but I'd bet they're already beginning to manufacture them. We'll probably only have to wait until Fall at the latest to find out.
Last time wsj pushed the idea they said it would happen before Christmas.
I honestly do t expect anything this year.
The system is just selling too well for them to fuck it up with that kind of monkey wrench.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The system is just selling too well for them to fuck it up with that kind of monkey wrench.
3DS was also selling well before the launch of N3DS and N2DS. I don't think it's a fuck-up to offer customers more options for the same general product. Particularly if you offer a 'premium' option and 'budget' option, the original product should have no issue existing alongside them. It's almost like trim levels for cars.

Last edited by Xzi,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The n3ds was released 3-4 years after 3ds release as sales began to notably decline. N2ds was like last year, at the eol.

Maybe you're mixing it up with the xl, that came out early just as the 3ds started to sell exceptionally after that price drop.

But again, that was just form factor changes.

A pro version and a fundamentally different mini console are different. They'd replace the old one instead of augmenting it,which just doesn't make sense at this point. Even if there being built, we're not going to see them until sales drop. Likely not before Christmas, this year or the next.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
your thinking of plasmas

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

neither do i 2020 xmas the earliest
LED/OLED panels definitely suffer from burn in.

My mom's note 8 has a ghostly Facebook app burned in. Kinda funny.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly i think they are making the internals more energy efficient. Nivida said in May they are not doing anymore new versions nor revisions of the tegra SoCs. A rep told Best Buy, once they run out of Tegra X1s Nivida, the new shield TVs will use a new 7nm SoC. One unrelated to the Tegra.

I can’t see Nintendo willing to take a hit due to production cost increase for a new chip. I could see them see them Switching to an AMD SoC 7nm equivalent of the Tegra.

Behind a brand switch of the SoC and reduction in energy use, the only other thing I see is possibly increasing the ram and storage. My research as shown the cost of a piece of 6gb 3D printed ram by Samsung, cost about the same as the 4gb used to cost when the switch launched. Nintendo could get a 500gb data storage chip from Samsung now at the same price they were paying originally for the 32gb. Samsung’s 3D printing tech has cut the cost of producing various chips down to nearly half of their original cost.

Samsung also has a new battery out soon. Half the size in scale of the switch’s current battery but holds approximately 45-60% more energy. Doesn’t degraded it’s compassitly to hold a charge at all. It’s waiting finale approval to be sold at the fcc. Not sure of it’s cost however

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LED/OLED panels definitely suffer from burn in.

Plasma & OLED. Standard LED TV's so not suffer from burn in.

never had one problem on my 2018 lg oled and i play some pretty aggressive games with static images on screen for hours on my shield TV

Great for you but there is PLENTY of factual, proven, scientific data that says otherwise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...