XP
Country
Australia
Nathan Drake said:
8BitWalugi said:
Nathan Drake said:
8BitWalugi said:
Nathan Drake said:
Don't use Waninkoko's firmware. Their is a high probability that it will brick your console. Just stick with geohot's CFW for now.
Damn. I'll wait until further confirmation.

I bought mine last September, by the way. Just in case that's of any use.

Nobody is even exactly sure specifically what causes the brick to happen (ie:model, stuff like that). All I know it that there are lots of people with fat and slim models alike unhappily staring at a brick now.
Wow. What about that guy's fix he posted on Page 6?

Oh and I got the correct MD5 thingy on Wanin's 3.55.

EDIT: His Twitter say's he's working in an alternative way with no brick risk. Odds are I should wait until then?

I'm not sure of the success of that fix. If I'm not mistaken, a couple members tried it in the actual release thread with no success. But yeah, you should wait until a stable CFW is released. No amount of pirating or playing back ups or w/e is worth pretty much a 60% chance of bricking.
You got a point. That, and I paid $600 AU for mine, and it's not even a year old!

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
From what I understand to unbrick your console from corrupt Lv2 requires some precision soldering. I'd say wait for a stable release unless you were planning on buying a new PS3 anyway

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I'm reading, it seems to be bricking the old ones more, or at least those that have 256MB of boot EEPROM... which are almost exclusively the phat models. Slims with their 16MB bootrom are still at risk for brick, but not as much.

Guess fail0verflow might want to consider creating a BootMii for PS3 as well if this is going to keep happening. Unless Sony has already ingrained such functionality. Or is that what the downgrade is for?

Either way, I am liking the fact that there's now a CFW 3.55 that enables Backup Manager to work again; but I think I will wait until one comes out that's a bit more stable, or something... I've been itching for something like this to come out already, but I don't want to brick my 60gig model unit, and the more refinement it gets the better.

turbotronic

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maz7006 said:
anyone using this CFW now?

... and if so do they / are they actually working online ?

yes everything works fine...
only make sure, that you don't have one of the early phat models with bigger nand size, check md5/sha1 of your modified pup and install wanins' cfw over ofw 3.55.

PS3 Custom Firmware 3.55 Compatibility:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=t8M2...mp;toomany=true

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
That method listed on page 6 to fix the bricks will not work because you can't get the Service Mode to work. The only way to fix this brick is with an infectus. But apparently I am the only person capable of fixing all these bricks. I've already got a shit load of people sending me their PS3's.

@Waninkoko, Thanks for the business. Your crap software bricks thousands of wii's and I get to fix them. Now your crap firmware bricks hundreds of PS3's and I get to fix those too. You really need to learn how to test your stuff out more and start thinking outside your little piracy driven box. Funny enough, you complain that you only had 4 testers but I offered to do beta testing for you and you never responded. Complete fail on your part. I think you need to stop coding for now and go back to school and learn how to fix everyones stuff.

@Everyone else, I think I should start handing out vouchers with Waninkoko's address to people so they can send them to Waninkoko for a refund of the repair cost. Waninkoko doesn't care if your console is bricked and if it costs you money to repair it because his console is still working. Maybe if he had to start paying up for all the bricks then he'd smarten the hell up and stop releasing such crappy software that is not thoroughly tested.

Don't ever trust waninkoko's software. He screws up something with every release. I swear the guy must be smoking crack when he is coding shit up. 'HackInBlack', yeah, he is a fucking hack alright.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I hope you make a tidy profit for your efforts.
smile.gif

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
DeadlyFoez said:
That method listed on page 6 to fix the bricks will not work because you can't get the Service Mode to work. The only way to fix this brick is with an infectus. But apparently I am the only person capable of fixing all these bricks. I've already got a shit load of people sending me their PS3's.
lolsure. If you can fix them, why don't you help everyone without them having to send their PS3's in.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
DeadlyFoez said:
lolsure. If you can fix them, why don't you help everyone without them having to send their PS3's in.

Most people with their system bricked don't have the skills to fix them
smile.gif
He's doing a great thing for ps3 users.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
A tutorial is in the works, but not many people are capable of fixing their PS3 or don't have the tools and equipment needed or just don't dare to take their PS3 apart. And for anyone who is capable, they don't need any help from me.

What I do for repairs is not all that much different than the wii repairs as far as how it works.

But I do more than just unbrick it. I also clean out all the dust and reapply new high quality thermal compound so the system will work way better for the user when they get it back. A single repair is about 3 hours to do, where as a wii repair I can do in under an hour if everything goes perfectly as planned. The PS3 is bigger, has more screws, more parts inside of it, and 2 NAND chips to remove and reflash, and resolder onto the board. Then comes reassembly. It's a long process.

But hey, spread the word around. Everyone knows where to find me and how to contact me.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
DeadlyFoez said:
8BitWalugi said:
A tutorial is in the works, but not many people are capable of fixing their PS3 or don't have the tools and equipment needed or just don't dare to take their PS3 apart. And for anyone who is capable, they don't need any help from me.

What I do for repairs is not all that much different than the wii repairs as far as how it works.

But I do more than just unbrick it. I also clean out all the dust and reapply new high quality thermal compound so the system will work way better for the user when they get it back. A single repair is about 3 hours to do, where as a wii repair I can do in under an hour if everything goes perfectly as planned. The PS3 is bigger, has more screws, more parts inside of it, and 2 NAND chips to remove and reflash, and resolder onto the board. Then comes reassembly. It's a long process.

But hey, spread the word around. Everyone knows where to find me and how to contact me.
If anything, inform some other companies and sites of your method (Such as OzModChips, I can take my PS3 there, but I can't send it halfway across the world).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
An Infectus is hardware that most people don't even know exists, let alone what it is, where to get it, or how to use it.

If everybody had an Infectus or another NAND reprogrammer tool then yeah, everybody could fix it themselves.

But they don't.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
DeadlyFoez said:
Rydian said:
An Infectus is hardware that most people don't even know exists, let alone what it is, where to get it, or how to use it.
that, and also that they are not made anymore so finding one can be a little tough.

If my PS3 was bricked any time in the near future, how much would your services cost?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
If my PS3 was bricked any time in the near future, how much would your services cost?
at this moment it is $80. I might raise or lower the price at a later date, but so far everyone seems happy to pay $80 instead of $300 for a new PS3. I want to pay off my equipment first and foremost. I have spent over to $1,000 getting stuff just to do these ps3 brick repairs including setting myself up to be able to flash the NOR chips too. I've also had to buy a handful of PS3's to do all my testing on.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
DeadlyFoez said:
TwinRetro said:
at this moment it is $80. I might raise or lower the price at a later date, but so far everyone seems happy to pay $80 instead of $300 for a new PS3. I want to pay off my equipment first and foremost. I have spent over to $1,000 getting stuff just to do these ps3 brick repairs including setting myself up to be able to flash the NOR chips too. I've also had to buy a handful of PS3's to do all my testing on.

$80+shipping is still very reasonable compared to buying even a used PS3 off of craigslist. If I ever fuck up my PS3 beyond repair, i'll keep you in mind
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: