SEGA and Microsoft are teaming up for a "strategic alliance" involving the Azure cloud platform

sega-and-microsoft-logos-with-xbox-series-x-s.jpg

While this kind of partnership isn't as shocking as one with Nintendo might be, SEGA will be forming a "strategic alliance" with its once-competitor Microsoft. The two companies will be teaming up in order for SEGA to explore creating "large-scale, global games" in the future, utilizing Microsoft's Azure cloud technology. This also includes what SEGA refers to as "Super Game". which is a new initiative all about releasing content that focuses on four main tenents: global, online, community, and IP utilization.

We are very pleased to announce today that we are considering a strategic alliance with Microsoft to help develop SEGA's new “Super Game” initiative as well as build a next-generation game development environment. By considering a strategic partnership with Microsoft, we seek to further advance our game development so that our titles can be enjoyed by fans all over the world; in this regard, we aim to build an alliance that utilizes both SEGA's powerful game development capabilities and Microsoft's cutting-edge technology and development environment.

According to a briefing from SEGA that took place in May 2021, one of these "Super Games" will be a key strategy for them, and is set to be released within the next five years. That same presentation also showed that SEGA believes in expanding older intellectual properties, by making reboots, remakes, and remasters of popular franchises.

SEGA has played such an iconic role in the gaming industry and has been a tremendous partner over the years. We look forward to working together as they explore new ways to create unique gaming experiences for the future using Microsoft cloud technologies. Together we will reimagine how games get built, hosted, and operated, with a goal of adding more value to players and SEGA alike.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why does everyone hate cloud gaming so much?
Input lag, inconsistent image quality, gives you even less ownership over your games.

What reasons are there to actually like cloud gaming? It lets you play on your tiny smartphone screen with shitty touch controls?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem here is microsoft and cloud do not work together, its likely rebranded its failure cloud platform they passed off in onedrive and 365 then forced it into shitbox.

Its bc or should i say emulated 360 games also forced its save data to this recycled crap and like 365, it could not handle a file(s) that are constantly been accessed or saved without getting confused and corrupting or failing to save the most recent version and end up reverting back to an older version.

So is this partnership ms going to sega, if you dedicate your recycled crap, we will give you access to our online only platform to host them.

Welcome sonic adventures dx port ahem "remaster".

Can't really say I've purchased anything from sega since the ps3/360.

But i never knew microsoft and sega were rivals. Pretty sure the DC had already died before microsoft entered the console market and released the xbox.

I wouldn't confuse rivals with sega using windows os for its arcade system, as this was pretty much what arcade machines did back then.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You guys are using the term cloud incorrectly while criticising game streaming. I see nothing in this announcement about game streaming. The azure cloud can bring compute or data resources into a game while keeping gpu rendering on the local machine. Cloud compute powered AI, petabytes of assets etc..

Reactions: kevin corms
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why would the internet companies cost more?
They already limit your speed and throttle you when using too much data
They did it to me
Yeah, and what do you think streaming games is gonna do to your data?
Also, don't think a VPN, like... makes you use less data or hides your usage of it, not sure, uh.
That's a good point, actually. Made me change my mind. Microsoft would probably be best for other reasons as well.
Maybe, not sure if Microsoft wouldn't be scummy enough to also C&D/DMCA fangames or what, but afaik, they aren't as stupid at craptendo, mh.
Would hope they'd figure it's only good publicity for them.

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, living with sunshine is better than living with just clouds and artificial light all year... you don't really know when lights will turn off and its consequences. The sun will always shine unless some big enough event happens, and at that point lack of sun will be the least of your worries.

You might say, sun shines thru' clouds. But that's not enough to live a healthy life.
I think he meant the weather. Like, when there are clouds it is more likely to have the lightnings and big waves.

Having your ship sink isn't fun, you know.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
Yeah, and what do you think streaming games is gonna do to your data?
Also, don't think a VPN, like... makes you use less data or hides your usage of it, not sure, uh.

Maybe, not sure if Microsoft wouldn't be scummy enough to also C&D/DMCA fangames or what, but afaik, they aren't as stupid at craptendo, mh.
Would hope they'd figure it's only good publicity for them.
It makes the person using data anonymous

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sticking a server in your local city/cabinet on the other hand sorts that. Bit more expensive up front but nothing out of the range of most of Microsoft's acquisitions of late.

That works when your freaking ISPs actually connect to the IX. Mine (all 4 I've used) actually goes around the country to get my PC to my workplace Firewall, which is physically less than 3 miles away, giving me 42ms...

Why does everyone hate cloud gaming so much?

Because cloud gaming is inherently bad:

-Dependency on Internet Connection, its quality and stability.
-Latency (Even 1 frame, 17ms, is already a big hit for Fighting Games and some specific genres).
-Jitter (Even worse than latency)

-Lack of ownership
-Difficulty of modding
-Dependency on the whims of the provider to keep the game/service up.
-No piracy (until someone hacks the servers and make their own private ones).

In other words, it has all the downsides of a sub-based MMO.

The big advantage is that you're free from the hardware to run it, which isn't that great either considering that if you actually have gaming as hobby, you must have the means to support it, and software over time is way more expensive than the hardware.

It makes the person using data anonymous

No... it does not hide your traffic from your ISP in the sense you're thinking of. It optionally (though commonly) encrypts said traffic.
You will actually spend your data cap EARLIER using a VPN due to the encryption overhead.
A VPN is only a means to virtually connect yourself to a remote "local" network. That's it.

Your ISP will still know where you are connected to, and how much data you're transferring, only the contents will be encrypted, (and only from your ISP, the VPN server will still see it).

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where the fuck are they getting the idea that gamers want cloud gaming ?
Unless they think ppl playing candycrush or other mobile games are gamers . . .
If that is their demographic then sure . . . maybe itl somewhat work lol
I think it's more that all of these companies plan to keep shoving it down our throats till it takes someday. They seemingly don't want anyone owning anything. Digital games are bad enough to worry about preserving where you have no idea how long you can actually maintain the data and licenses. Then there's games as a service which is more along the lines of this cloud horseshit, NSO roms, and Game Pass. Many people sing praises of Game Pass which I guess is fine for M$ first and second party titles. Have fun with everything else disappearing after a year.

Reactions: SS4 and DarkCoffe64

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That works when your freaking ISPs actually connect to the IX. Mine (all 4 I've used) actually goes around the country to get my PC to my workplace Firewall, which is physically less than 3 miles away, giving me 42ms...
Yet when I actually want a redundant setup so when someone drives a forklift into a pole somewhere...

Anyway to avoid backbone fees and throttling/technically not throttling then a lot of the big bandwidth gobblers have been putting caching type stuff in buildings next to exchanges for the last few... actually years at this point. Get that right, and ISPs dodging backbone fees will also see them route things properly if it comes out of their pocket.

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
At least it's a relief that it isn't an acquisition news. Wouldn't like to hear any Japanese development team involved with any Western political crap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sorry guys i had to go