SEGA reveals the Mega Drive Mini 2, will feature SEGA CD games

A handful of years ago, SEGA released a miniaturized version of its classic Mega Drive, packing in some fan-favorite games that gamers loved from that era of gaming. Three years later, and they're ready to improve upon that, by releasing the Mega Drive Mini 2. Stylized just like the second variant of the Mega Drive, the mini version will offer Sega CD games as well. The throwback console was revealed during a livestream from Sega of Japan, and has no western release confirmed for now. It'll release on October 27th, and will retail for about $75 (¥9,980). The confirmed games are as follows:

Silpheed (SEGA CD)
Shining Force CD (SEGA CD)
Mansion of Hidden Souls (SEGA CD)
Sonic CD (SEGA CD)
Popful Mail (SEGA CD)
Virtua Racing (Mega Drive)
Bonanza Bros (Mega Drive)
Shining in the Darkness (Mega Drive)
Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive)
Magical Taruto (Mega Drive)
Fantasy Zone (new Mega Drive release)

Notable among these titles is Fantasy Zone, which never actually released for the Mega Drive itself. According to the livestream, this version of the game is a brand new port, and is based on Super Fantasy Zone, which did release on the Mega Drive in 1992.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Too bulky of a design with it so the next best option? Sega Genesis CDX.

640px-Multimega.jpg

I honestly did not realize this existed until much later when I was a teen. I'd have loved to own it considering takes way less space and it's an AiO so no individual power chargers.

It was a portable cd player too. I listened to the FFIII/VI soundtrack on it the most. I never had it skip on me, but I never "carried" it. Mainly for car trips and stuff.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a portable cd player too. I listened to the FFIII/VI soundtrack on it the most. I never had it skip on me, but I never "carried" it. Mainly for car trips and stuff.
It's a shame it didn't include 32X, too. Genesis + 32X + Sega CD all in one, now that would have been brilliant. Still Genesis + Sega CD is excellent, of course.

Reactions: tabzer

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody is going to comment about the form-factor's missing Sega CD drive?
It will be a cosmetic add on just like with the previous mini. It was shown in the live stream.

I'm really interested to see how many CD games they go with here as they have already set the price and will want to keep costs down due to larger filesizes.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It will be a cosmetic add on just like with the previous mini. It was shown in the live stream.

I'm really interested to see how many CD games they go with here as they have already set the price and will want to keep costs down due to larger filesizes.
I didn't even know the previous mini had that.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they can get Snatcher added to that list they may be on to a real winner.

I love my model 1 MegaCD, but the ratio of great games is pretty low... and many of those are prohibitively highly priced. So adding a title like Snatcher (that hasn't seen an official English language release since the Sega CD) would make this mini a must have for many gamers.

Hell, throw in a new translation of the Sega CD version of Shin Megami Tensei and I'll preorder immediately.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: tatumanu

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Cool product, good selection. No Snatcher :( wish I bought a Mister before the pandemic. Dreaming of a way to convert my SNES mini into an FPGA powerhouse.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it comes with the 6 button controller, I might get one when the price drops. I bought the first Genesis mini for like 25 dollars. lol

Also, the announcer sounds like the guy who voices those North Korean propaganda videos. lol

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't need it getting sonic origins instead :P
Ditto. Playing Sonic games in 4:3 AR now feels unnatural since you can't see what's coming ahead and with 16:9 AR mods that fixed the issues.

I would say I'd like to see an SMS Mini/Collection, but when was the last time Sega made any effort for such a thing? Exactly.

Why Sega never ported the remakes of Sonic 1, 2, and CD to Consoles & PC we'll never know why although there's gonna be their own take of it, so that fills the gap.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I would say I'd like to see an SMS Mini/Collection, but when was the last time Sega made any effort for such a thing? Exactly.

They did those stupid Mini GG's, but my guess for the SMS would be a lack of perceived nostalgia/interest, especially in NA.

Yes I'm aware it was more successful in certain regions such as Brazil and PAL.

Why Sega never ported the remakes of Sonic 1, 2, and CD to Consoles & PC we'll never know why although there's gonna be their own take of it, so that fills the gap.

CD was released on PC/consoles and from what I've read Origins consists of the Retro Engine remakes:

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did those stupid Mini GG's, but my guess for the SMS would be a lack of perceived nostalgia/interest, especially in NA.

Yes I'm aware it was more successful in certain regions such as Brazil and PAL.

CD was released on PC/consoles and from what I've read Origins consists of the Retro Engine remakes:

Nice!

I never really cared much for SMS as I grew up with the NES although the SMS has a lot good games that went ignored by many (myself included).

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Mind reading how this will go: hackz pres esc to add more roms, no one buys it, sees it on eBay via scalpers triple the cost everyone now wants one.

Yeah but it won't be like the Nes mini since people have better options nowadays. If you are going to waste a lot of money there are products with much better emulation and quality around.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol