Shantae 5 gets re-titled to "Shantae and the Seven Sirens", first screenshots revealed

COrhwjd.png

shantae-5.jpg shantae-6.jpg shantae-1.jpg shantae-2.jpg shantae-4.jpg

When Wayforward announced the latest Shantae game, it debuted with the working title of "Shantae 5". Today, we've finally learned what the official name will be, which is Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Accompanying this announcement are some new screenshots, along with a few details about the game. According to the press release, Seven Sirens will feature not just an animated intro, but animated cutscenes as well. As you progress through the game, you'll be given cards, which allow you to "augment Shantae's powers to [your] own style of play."

Shantae and the Seven Sirens does not have a release date, nor a price, but when it does launch, it'll be for the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Apple Arcade.

Having previously announced the next game in the Shantae series back in March, independent game studio WayForward is proud to reveal the official title for the hotly anticipated action-adventure-platformer: Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

Formerly referred to as Shantae 5, Shantae and the Seven Sirens sends the belly-dancing, hair-whipping, half-genie hero to a tropical island where Shantae and her friends encounter other Half-Genie allies, but they soon learn there’s trouble in paradise. As Shantae gets caught up in the island’s sinister secrets, she’ll use all-new dance abilities and instant-transformation Fusion Magic to explore the nonlinear, interconnected world where she’ll visit multiple towns, overcome treacherous labyrinths, and battle dastardly bosses. The game also features a new collectible card system that grants players the freedom to augment Shantae’s powers to suit their own style of play.

Releasing on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Apple Arcade, Shantae and the Seven Sirens is the fifth entry in the Shantae series, which originally debuted on Game Boy Color in 2002. Additional information about the game, including the distribution, pricing, and release date, will be announced as it becomes available.

• Explore an interconnected world using new Fusion Magic creature transformations, including a newt and other aquatic forms!
  • 4K-resolution hand-painted visuals (on 4K devices only)!
  • All-new characters and returning favorites like Rottytops, Sky, Bolo, and the nefarious Risky Boots!
  • Collect and power up with monster cards!
  • Enjoy minigames, acquire magic and items, and uncover secrets!
  • Gorgeously animated TV-style cutscenes!

:arrow: Source

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like they're sticking with the Half Genie Hero engine. A shame because I hoped they would go back to pixel artwork like they did for Pirate's Curse.
I feel the same. HGH's in game graphics imo looked boring and non-stylized. I really loved the pixel sprite art in their games with the clean portrait art when talking to characters. I really hope they have Steve Kaufman on board :)

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It also looks like they dumped the 3D floors, which I'm completely happy with for 2D games. It just makes platforming more precise. This is exactly how NSMB did it and it makes me completely not miss the sprites at all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

DANOMINATOR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boy am I excited for this, but Apple Arcade? I'm amazed that people are even supporting this knockoff streaming service.

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope that the new powers function more like how Pirate's Curse implemented them into the gameplay, unlike how the other games handled it, where it was kinda clunky and gimmicky. That's one of the reasons it's my fav if the series.
And yes, Kaufman better be on board in the music department.
Overall, just don't make it look like a bland reboot like HGH did, go more like Pirate's Curse. That's all I'm asking. Still looking forwards to see how it goes. :D

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Pirate's Curse has the best graphics and Half-Genie Hero was a real step down from that. This at least looks like a step up from HGH, but I'll have to see more to see how it fares against Pirate's Curse.

Reactions: Vorde

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!