Shooting takes place at Florida gaming tournament

IMG_0680.JPG

Today, a Madden NFL 19 gaming tournament took place in Jacksonville Florda. Sadly, it appears a shooting occurred at the event, leading to four currently confirmed deaths. One of the competitors, Drini Gjoka claimed that they fled the area, and was grazed by a bullet while the shooter was active. Jacksonville's Police Department have stated that a shooting did happen, but have not explained any further details at this time, while also telling citizens to stay away from The Landing, where the tragedy took place. The tournament was a qualifier event, which was officially backed by EA Sports. At the time of writing, there are a total of 11 victims. A potential suspect was found dead at the scene.

:arrow: Source: Twitter

:arrow: Source 2: Twitter

:arrow: Source 3: Local News Outlet

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If we are talking about the thing from a few weeks ago about 3d printed guns with the AR15, what every news organization failed to mention was only the receiver was 3d printed, everything else was made of metal, all parts from an actual gun.
Now 3d printed handguns exist "but" they will pretty much break apart, they have a very short range, and the actual bullet speed, penetrating force is a problem, but they still contain metal, the bullets, the firing pin wont get passed metal detectors or xray machines.

You can make a shotgun out of plumbing supplies and other basic stuff from the hardware store.
People who are worried about 3D printing are grossly unaware of pipe guns. You can cobble together something that shoots bullets out of just about anything. Your neighbours could have home-made guns in their garage and you wouldn't be any wiser. The panic is silly and unjustified.

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who are worried about 3D printing are grossly unaware of pipe guns. You can cobble together something that shoots bullets out of just about anything. Your neighbours could have home-made guns in their garage and you wouldn't be any wiser. The panic is silly and unjustified.
My dad's uncle made guns out of random junk for a hobby, scared the shit out of us when he aimed at his foot and shot a blank.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My dad's uncle made guns out of random junk for a hobby, scared the shit out of us when he aimed at his foot and shot a blank.
That's quite funny, in a morbid kind of way. I hope he didn't burn his foot in the process, the gasses are quite hot, even a blank can severely harm a person if shot from a small enough distance.

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's quite funny, in a morbid kind of way. I hope he didn't burn his foot in the process, the gasses are quite hot, even a blank can severely harm a person if shot from a small enough distance.
Not that it would make much of a difference, he was already in a wheelchair at the time. He had to have been past his 80's at the time.

Last edited by Anfroid,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not that it would make much of a difference, he was already in a wheelchair at the time. He had to have been past his 80's at the time.
That's even more morbid, but goes to show that where there's a will, there's a way. Even if you're 80 and wheelchair-bound you can still make a gun out of scrap. Your dad's uncle was a right prankster.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Sad news, it seems the US is no longer a safe place. I wonder what's wrong with their society that the mass shootings are more and more common every day.

Division, everything has to be a duality, there are is no discussion or complexity sold to people. Then there is a culture of fear sold to the population. To top that out, there are religious currents in power even that either or both believe the end of the world is coming and that their riches are rewards from God. This makes them act with disregard for futures generations because why should they care or if they were rewarded, they are doing nothing wrong.

Either way, in the midst of fear and polarization, some feel forgotten, and some are indeed forgotten such is the case with people with mental problems. Where once there was a country that had very bad mental healthcare, it closed down most mental institutions overnight and now it has severe lacking of it.

On top of all that there is a great arms dealing industry that lobbies astroturfs and rallies all it can to avoid any long of gun studies or regulation.

Can anybody tell me any pros of the Government allowing guns?

It still doesnt make sense to allow guns in a soceity where everybody should feel safe. There is really no need for serious "self defense" like this.

The problem is not in allowing guns but having little to no restriction on ownership. You should be able to own a gun if you don't feel safe or if you want to hunt or something. This if you are capable and fit to own one and you should only be able to have a gun signed for hunting or protection.

Yup, no check. Well except for the federal background check that is required. I'm guessing you've never bought a gun.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole
http://time.com/5170667/charleston-loophole-fix-nics/
Etc...

This fact alone is just confusing to me. If the government was interested in saving lives, you would think they'd restrict access to weapons that statistically cause the most deaths, meaning handguns. Rifles are not the weapon of choice for mass shooters, automatic or semi-automatic - the most commonly used weapon in such instances is a handgun, provided we accept the current ludicrous definition of a mass shooting, which I obviously don't.
That's always the excuse. Tell me one thing, if the proponents of gun regulation are so interested in reducing the death toll, why are they racing to ban "assault weapons", which is a trumped-up term they invented as no actual assault rifles can be legally sold to citizens in the United States as there's a blanket ban on automatics across the land? Semi-automatic rifles are not particularly deadly if you look at the data - they're used in the great minority of crimes, the most common weapon of choice is the handgun due to its portability and ease of concealment. Why are they sounding the alarm about the AR-15? Because looking at the numbers, all I can think of is "it looks kinda scary", which isn't an argument. All I keep hearing about is "we need to change the gun laws", but I'm not hearing any concrete solutions. You want to talk, let's talk then - what do you propose? How would you solve this conundrum? As far as I'm concerned, guns aren't even the issue - as I mentioned before, it's poverty, crime and mental health. There doesn't seem to be any discernable correlation between how strict or lax the regulations are and how likely it is that a mass shooting will occur in a given state, so there necessarily must be a different solution, but what? Anything short of mass confiscation would be ineffective, and mass confiscation is unacceptable and unpalatable to freedom, so what would you like to do?

Bullet serialization and registration. If a shell is empty you'd know who purchased it. Secondary market regulation, along all loopholes. Inheritance regulation. Deep mental evaluation. Ban on automatic or military grade weapons - even if difficult to have, non military personal should not have them. Required training and approval for licensing. Gun free zones (urban areas, public spaces). Regulation on storage - i.e: to have a gun you'd be required to have a secured safe for it. Mandatory reporting on any missing weapons.

Aside that, a program of volunteer illegal gun purchasing program like in Australia would definitely help.

Last edited by pustal,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bullet serialization and registration.
Interesting and possibly effective, but massively impractical.
Secondary market regulation, along all loopholes.
The secondary market is already regulated, there are no loopholes. The "gun show loophole" is total nonsense, sales made at gun shows are not exempt from the very same checks that occur during a sale in a store. Every purchase from an FFL requires a federal check, regardless of location.
Inheritance regulation.
...is already in place. Inheritance is not restricted unless a person is prohibited from owning firearms, a felon cannot inherit a gun.
Deep mental evaluation.
That's fine.
Ban on automatic or military grade weapons - even if difficult to have, non military personal should not have them.
Why? When was the last time a fully automatic weapon was used in a mass shooting?
Required training and approval for licensing.
Okay.
Gun free zones (urban areas, public spaces).
Arguably unconstitutional and ineffective. Citizens are allowed to bear arms, they must either be allowed to open carry or concealed carry, otherwise they're incapable of self-defense, which is a primary reason for owning firearms.
Regulation on storage - i.e: to have a gun you'd be required to have a secured safe for it.
Those restrictions are already enacted in many states and are not effective, but I'm not opposed to safe storage - it's prudent.
Mandatory reporting on any missing weapons.
Self-regulating. Weapons are expensive, of course you would report it if yours went missing.
Aside that, a program of volunteer illigal gun purchasing program like in Australia would definitely help.
The gun buy-back programme was a giant flop, only 1/3rd of citizens turned their weapons in. If you promise to give me $100 for every illegal weapon I turn in, I'm immediately building 10 pipe guns to get some free money. Speaking of Australia, the citizens are rapidly rearming themselves and importing guns in, just figured I should mention that.

Some good points, mostly things that are already in place, with a healthy dash of myths.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just like a fully automatic weapon. You don't need accuracy in a crowded building/event.
Nothing like an automatic weapon, actually. You fail to understand the mechanics at work. I suggest you watch at least one comparison video between a real automatic rifle and a bump-stocked one. *The entire weapon* moves, you have little to no control, it literally fires itself as it moves back and forth. That's not automatic, that's stupid, and no different than just pulling the trigger really fast. The case you're making is about the magazine size, not the stock. You can go through a magazine really quickly, with or without a bump stock, your objection is just silly.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nothing like an automatic weapon, actually. You fail to understand the mechanics at work. I suggest you watch at least one comparison video between a real automatic rifle and a bump-stocked one. *The entire weapon* moves, you have little to no control, it literally fires itself as it moves back and forth. That's not automatic, that's stupid, and no different than just pulling the trigger really fast.
I've fired both full autos and bump stock modified weapons. Yes, a bump stock does make a gun a little more unruly, but it's not uncontrollable by any definition. Just slightly more inaccurate than a full auto weapon, which often come in higher calibers and thus have more kick to them even if it's less of the gun that moves overall. Bottom line: you don't buy a full auto or a bump stock for hunting/target shooting. They're only good at spray and pray, aka mass murder.

Last edited by Xzi,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've fired both full autos and bump stock modified weapons. Yes, a bump stock does make a gun a little more unruly, but it's not uncontrollable by any definition. Just slightly more inaccurate than a full auto weapon, which often come in higher calibers and thus have more kick to them even if it's less of the gun that moves overall. Bottom line, you aren't buying a full auto or a bump stock for hunting/target shooting. They're only good at spray and pray, aka mass murder.
I can agree with the last sentiment, however I'm of the opinion that people are innocent until proven guilty and it's not for you to assume what they're going to do with their weapon. They just might *like* shooting, that's reason enough and none of your concern. Just out if curiosity, what is the difference between how you fire a full auto and a bump-stocked semi? Because there's a very specific difference and I wonder if you know it, as a test.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can agree with the last sentiment, however I'm of the opinion that people are innocent until proven guilty and it's not for you to assume what they're going to do with their weapon. They just might *like* shooting, that's reason enough and none of your concern.
In most cases you're guilty of a crime just by owning a full auto in the first place. Common sense says the same needs to happen for bump stock modified weapons, but it seems to be an issue completely forgotten about at the federal level. Until the next mass shooting with a modded weapon, anyway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In most cases you're guilty of a crime just by owning a full auto in the first place. Common sense says the same needs to happen for bump stock modified weapons, but it seems to be an issue completely forgotten about at the federal level. Until the next mass shooting with a modded weapon, anyway.
I've added an extra question in an edit, you may have missed it. I was wondering if you know what the fundamental difference in firing technique is between a full auto and a bump-stocked semi, since that seems to be the crux of our disagreement.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I've added an extra question in an edit, you may have missed it. I was wondering if you know what the fundamental difference in firing technique is between a full auto and a bump-stocked semi, since that seems to be the crux of our disagreement.
I don't remember TBH. I fired both as rentals at an outdoor range, and the owner showed me and my friends how to fire each at the time, but this was years ago. I only own a handgun (.45) and shotgun (12ga) myself for target/clay pigeon shooting, and I guess a last line of home defense if need arises (not that it ever has or I expect it to). So those are the only weapons I'm currently familiar with firing.

Edit: additionally, you might be shocked to hear that I don't mind 2A, it's fine as it is. It's the mistakes we've made as a nation with other things (like mental health treatment for one) in conjunction with 2A that have created a serious problem with mass shootings in this country. As usual, a lot of stingy shortsightedness in spending has led to a much larger cost down the road, this time paid in blood.

Last edited by Xzi,

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've more shootings and killings now a days than in the old west before we started data basing, before the mass prison system, and most importantly before the mass media as it exists today.

Thing is.. Int he old west you actually had to check your gun at the sheriffs station before going into town in a lot of places.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My thoughts on this

"Oh, another one" and then I continue on with life.

I doesn't mean that I don't empathize with those that lost someone they love today, but when you hear about another shooting every week you sort of start to at least become numb to the news of them a bit and that is probably the saddest thing about the whole ordeal.

How many more before it's you that can't continue on with life?

Foupen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Oh my god. Shit like this is why civilians shouldn't be allowed to carry guns. At the very least, strict gun regulations and family background checks should be done first before people can obtain guns in order to avoid dangerous people from obtaining guns. It's obvious that guns cause more harm than good. Some people might say guns do not kill people do, but what those people don't understand is that killers look for a fast quick kill, so they can leave the scene quickly and guns are the perfect weapon for that. I'm not a liberal nor even American but US seriously needs strict gun control. F**k NRA.

Last edited by Foupen,
Reactions: Tigran

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't remember TBH. I fired both as rentals at an outdoor range, and the owner showed me and my friends how to fire each at the time, but this was years ago. I only own a handgun (.45) and shotgun (12ga) myself for target/clay pigeon shooting, and I guess a last line of home defense if need arises (not that it ever has or I expect it to). So those are the only weapons I'm currently familiar with firing.
There's a very distinct mechanical difference between how the two operate and I refuse to believe that you would just "forget it" because firing a bump-stocked weapon is very unusual and unlike firing anything else, which casts a shadow of doubt on your account. The way you fire it is precisely why I said it's stupid and ineffective, it's a little bit more than just "unruly" and nothing like an automatic weapon, or any other firearm for that matter. No matter, I was just curious. I won't keep you in the dark. In short, you don't actually pull the trigger - you can't, the stock fully covers it. In order to fire you must "stretch" the weapon by applying force to the forward grip which pulls the weapon forward while the rear grip stays in place. Once the weapon fires, the recoil acts upon you by moving the weapon backwards and once absorbed enough, the force you're applying to the forward grip continues the cycle. This effectively negates *any* control you have over the forward grip as you're not actually holding it firmly as you would with an automatic, you're "stretching" the weapon at all times.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: