Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
1.0.0 could always do pega. EVERY console thats not the new hardware revision can do rcm and NO, HBL currently is only partly working on 1.0.0 - with frequent crashes in apps (because HBL never was developed for 1.0.0).

And now stop all those threads of individual people asking for individual support on what they can or could or should do regarding to the version of firmware they are on.

This is maddening.

You have more people answering those questions incorrectly - than people who care to still assist the three people posting the SAME question EVERY day - with different firmware versions - expecting personal support.

You see that this isn't working - you see that you'll get all sorts of BS answers before someone bothers to correct it - and if its corrected, It has to be one of five guys.

You are abusing the forum.

What part of "no new enduser solutions available yet" didn't you understand?

What part of the list of firmwares for "I want to update from x to y" gets longer every day - so this becomes exponentially more difficult to answer for three users a day - if you don't want to read what "groups" of firmwares can do or are expected to do - on your own. Its over for free services.

gbatemp should hire up callcenter agents already, if it expects this to continue for no reason.

If you are getting excited, because developers now have the opportunity to work on the platform - stop acting like if you are one yourself, or you can bother one whenever you like to (I have a friend...). If there are no "most easy way to" tutorials out yet, they arent out yet for a reason.

You are currently missing nothing. Apart from the opportunity of doing more things wrong, coming to no exceptable result whatsoever. (So you want to boot homebrew apps that will crash after a few seconds on 1.0.0, or to set up a linux environment on your switch without controller, touch or sound support? Great.

Then look up the tutorials and do it on your own - don't post three "I'm on x can I now y?" postings every day...

No new enduser facing solution or hack was released.

You getting excited and wanting to participate, or to know what you should do because of future developments, os JUST and SOLEY getting into the way of devs - and on the nerves of people who actually bothered to keep up with whats currently going on.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I really don't care.

There is nothing out there for you (the end user) at the moment (apart rom HBL for 3.0.0), there are no new developments for you that took place in the last four (?) months. If you are antsy and want to order a jig, or a "cable" to do the hardware assisted mod in the future - do it.

The easy tutorials will follow - a few months from now. Its not time for you "thinking you have missed the boat" yet. Its not the time for your "should I, would I, can I update to..." questions yet. A few things are still in motion. Answers to that will get more easy and manageable once we have a few more specifics. And once a few more issues are solved (so you want to connect your Switch to a powered USB device and put a thing into ints controller rails every time to start up your Switch? No? Then wait a while, and dont ask if its ok to update yet. Some of this stuff is usability related also -

- every one might be guchi with one of those prerequisites just named in the future - but I am sure as HECK that no one wants to live with both until the end of their Switch usage. So wait until some of those things can get solved, and the thing you actually want to use (CFW) gets released, and then ask the same original question three times a day in all new and different threads in here.

At least then we can give you a simple answer. Currently its just - stop doing it, and wait.

(Or read up on the specifics on your own.)
You can't say people are dead wrong and then cite no sources. Do you write walls of text to try to cover up the fact that you are just making stuff up? At least Kubas is actually getting his information from somewhere, whereas yours seems to just be made up.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
"Show me your sources for things that arent existing yet."

Here are my sources.

You can't proof a negative.

(What do you expect? A newspaper article, on all those Switch methods, people imagine working, that don't exist? I'm sure your favorite youtuber is looking into that mystery as we speak...)

As far as softmods or hardware assisted mods are concerned - this still holds true:

short summary for pre-Mariko units:
1.0.0: has a nice non-coldboot solution, and is the most likely to get a Holy Grail CFW-launching exploit in the future
<3.0.1: has enough power to avoid a hardmod immediately, even if you'll probably want to just do the hardmod 'cuz the hardmod's so easy
<=4.1.0: will eventually see a hardmod-less solution, but will need that 'minor hardmod' at launch
>4.1.0: that 'minor hardmod' is required; though we may find a solution to avoid this in the future

Nothing has changed since this has been stated two weeks ago. Hold your horses.
--

Next on my list - proving that no god ever existed, who has ever created intelligent life. Oh wait, I've found circumstantial proof for that one:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educati...-analogue-clocks-exam-halls-teenagers-unable/

(The odd thing here is, that using circle segments to judge "when half of the time is over" (has to do with the "cut that piece of birthday cake in half" quotient), is much easier on analogue clocks. But even teachers nowadays seem to think, that digital is better, because everything is digital. Not because manufacturers optimized time displays to use the least amount of Light zones they would have to use to manufacture a clock. The notion that this is "actual progress" is about as sound as the notion that people by now should write zeros with sharp corners, because their mid nineties calculator always wrote b00bies with a rectangular o. "Its what they are used to, we don't want to cause them stress..."

Also while we are at it, how about we replace every painting in an art gallery with an iPad pro? Those kids, sure are so used to swiping, and ever-scrolling.... (Perhaps stand them in numbered cubicals with iPads in front of them, then they don't have to navigate museum halls anymore? Those are long and winded, they tell us.))

Last edited by notimp,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Softmod is already out)
Problem is that only 1.0.0 can currently boot to RCM without hardmod.
And Atmosphere is EmuNAND = no NAND modification. So it is not a lie, because you need to boot to RCM to launch payload to (eventually) boot to EmuNAND.
No, Atmosphere is the CFW. Saying that Atmosphere is emunand is like saying Luma on the 3DS is emunand which couldn't be any more misleading

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the OS is on different storage, isn't it emunand?
No, it is not.

A CFW is not an OS. CFW is a seriers of patches that are applied to the original firmware that allow you to do all sort of things. When you use Luma, Reinand, CakesFW, rxToold, etc., the files that patch the firmware are loaded from the SD card, but they are not emunand at all.

Emunand is when you do a 1:1 copy of the whole NAND into your SD, and use that as if it was the system's NAND. Usually this is done to protect the system's NAND in case of corruption.

We don't use emunand on the 3DS anymore because Luma is pretty safe and B9S/NTRBOOT make it so that even if you brick the NAND, you can reflash a dump easily in a matter of minutes.

Last edited by Tony_93,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
No, it is not.

CFW are Not an OS. They are patches applied to the original firmware that allow you to do all sort of crazy things. When you use Luma, Reinand, CakesFW, rxToold, etc., the files that patch the firmware are loaded from the SD card, but they are not emunand at all.

Emunand is when you do a 1:1 copy of the whole NAND into your SD, and use that as if it was the system's NAND. Usually this is done to protect the system's NAND in case of corruption.

We don't use emunand on the 3DS anymore because Luma is pretty safe and B9S/NTRBOOT make it so that even if you brick the NAND, you can reflash a dump easily in a matter of minutes.
Well, I repaired my post multiple times :P

Luma - patches OS.
Atmosphere - patched OS on SD. Atmosphere is a copy of your NAND, that is then patched and sits on your SD (in Nintendo world EmuNAND). That's why you need at least 32Gb SD.

So, it wasn't misleading at all.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I repaired my post multiple times :P

Luma - patches OS.
Atmosphere - patched OS on SD. Atmosphere is a copy of your NAND, that is then patched and sits on your SD. That's why you need at least 32Gb SD.

So, it wasn't misleading at all.
No, they said that you should have at least 64GB od space to make a BACKUP DUMP OF YOUR NAND. Not to install emunand...

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
No, they said that you should have at least 64GB od space to make a BACKUP DUMP OF YOUR NAND. Not to install emunand...
Then you are not listening. You need at least 64Gb for your OS and to have more space. But you will have your whole OS on your SD. (But NAND is 32Gb, so 32Gb SD should be enough technically).
upload_2018-4-28_19-36-48.png

Atmosphere will load Horizon from Emunand.
upload_2018-4-28_19-39-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-28_19-34-55.png
    upload_2018-4-28_19-34-55.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 156

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Kubas_inko You are changing the argument at this point anyways. CFW =/= Emunand period.
Atmosphere is EmuNAND. CFW EmuNAND.
From what you said, it sounded like you meant, that Atmosphere is like Luma, which it isn't. It is like gateway EmuNAND.
Except that Gateway doesn't exclusively need emunand... Gateway also runs on sysnand... the same way :rolleyes:

Yes, Atmosphere is like Luma, whether they add support for emunand or not.

There is no such thing as "CFW Emunand" btw lol.

Reactions: kataclysmicmind

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Except that Gateway doesn't exclusively need emunand... Gateway also runs on sysnand... the same way :rolleyes:

Jesus. Please go and ask them on discord.
It is EmuNAND. It is whole NAND "image/copy" on SD.
Just ask them.

And CFW EmuNAND is EmuNAND that has CFW capabilities (if you want to be picky. Because EmuNAND itself is just plain NAND copy, so no CFW.)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
its a forum, people ask and people answer.
if the questions annoy you simply ignore the post.
Its a forum, people share experiences and news, and work they have done with other likeminded people -

or its a forum, people ask the same question just phrased slightly differently three times a day, in different threads (often highjacking threads, or making them about an entirely different question they also have, once one is answered...), with some of their peers being very glad to spread wrong information to answer others.

If I read this, should I still smile and gently answer your questions because you asked?

From my perspective - If there are 20 people asking questions, and then are never being seen again - while the same five people have to try to keep the answers somewhat "close to reality" - this ceasces to be a forum. Its a support platform, a service platform, a millenial "scroll, scroll" talk to me feed - but certainly not anything resembling a forum.

If 90% of the people participating come in here with the intent to abuse the community (As in they are not part of the community, they don't read anything thats coing on, apart from the thread they are posting) - this is a problem.

I know reddit by now would have opened a "and this is the reason why we all should only be friendly to each other" posting - but really, I'm here to make this abusive, and highly irrational behavior "go back at least a little", so it becomes manageable, without having to resort to always having to do quick "stand-offs" over not always having to react to random strangers asking for "most easy method" -- especially if they don't exist yet.

I consider everyone in here that just visits to gets "a question asked", without using search, without trying to undertand the avenues currently available - to be part of the problem.

Think of it like your facebook feed. Those messages are spamming up this forum, resulting in false information that gets spread. And actual users in here having no wait to actually block that, or cope with it in any other way than to confront it.

We can't band you, because you are many.

Moderators in here aren't part of the actual discourse, they don't post guidelines, or information statements, you could use as orientation, the also don't ban you for trying repedatly to get your personal support experience - so we are literally at our whits end here.

We only can quack at you telling you not to do it again - because you are behaving like an irrational mob (theres literaly no solution available that we could recomment to you at the time, there are only a few details available on future releases - but you all want to know now if you can stop waiting, and you all want to know it individually - because you dont read the threads in here), then the next three people show up, and repeat the same question.

You people would have been banned from any forum a few years back - when the internet wasn't primarily driven by advertising interests, there would have been knowledge based questions during the sign up process, to make sure you at least could be considered "part of the community" - there would have been moderator actions left and right - to make sore this behavior is not allowed - but all of this doesnt exist anymore - because todays user numbers are too big (we are the forum for "everything"!) to have moderators read all of whats going on anymore.

Moderator actions today are flag triggered, also because of necessity. Then they usually say "be polite to each other" and thats it. *hrm* The more liberal ones at least allow attempts to confront wrong information to not always be as polite, as the consumer would like it to be. :)

But then, I did not grow up in japanese society - that not saying anything about proceedings that go horribly wrong - or always saving face and being polite to a fault - are my main concerns. I still believe in "if you see an issue" talk about it, and have people see it from the perspective of others - as a problem solving method.

Of course this doesnt work, if people f.e. only ever read the thread they themselves created. And you get TLDR, lol - responses up to the wahoo, so it isn't perfect either. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

kataclysmicmind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus. Please go and ask them on discord.
It is EmuNAND. It is whole NAND "image/copy" on SD.
Just ask them.

And CFW EmuNAND is EmuNAND that has CFW capabilities (if you want to be picky. Because EmuNAND itself is just plain NAND copy, so no CFW.)

CFW and EmuNAND are not the same. The CFW is Atmosphere alone, and it redirects hardware functions to a cloned copy of the Switch's NAND mounted on a partition of the Switch's internal SD card. The CFW utilizes EmuNAND for security purposes but the CFW is a seperate beast. At some point this or another CFW could just as easily make its modifications to SysNAND but for now this is too dangerous at this CFWs current itteration.

Last edited by kataclysmicmind,

kje123

this title is false
Trophies
Website
kje123.github.io
XP
Country
United States
(Softmod is already out)
Problem is that only 1.0.0 can currently boot to RCM without hardmod.
And Atmosphere is EmuNAND = no NAND modification. So it is not a lie, because you need to boot to RCM to launch payload to (eventually) boot to EmuNAND.
didn't kate mention that there was a hardmodless way to boot rcm? she also said that it wasn't very exciting, but i would assume it should work with atmosphere.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

didn't kate mention that there was a hardmodless way to boot rcm? she also said that it wasn't very exciting, but i would assume it should work with atmosphere.
Yes, there is. Jamais vu.
But now, you (as a normal user) can boot to RCM on 1.0.0 only.

royvedas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have two switches waiting with firmware 1.0. I rushed out to buy a second one as soon as I heard of this hardware hack (I kind of know where 1.0s are, as I work in IT in a retail chain and can see stock movements from the store. No stock movement out on article means launch Switch). I also did buy the puyo puyo tetris game, but I guess this is not needed in any way or is it?

I just want custom firmware, not emunand gibberish og reglitching every time you power the device on like with the Wii U. I need stuff to work. I believe it will happen, but when?

I want a boot selector, so I can choose Switch CFW, Kodi and general Linux. Please make it happen.

About kodi - it should work now by running on linux. Awesome to be able to take your tv show with you while you're on the crapper.

These are happy days indeed. Let's all rejoice and be nice to each other :-)

Last edited by royvedas,

kje123

this title is false
Trophies
Website
kje123.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there is. Jamais vu.
But now, you (as a normal user) can boot to RCM on 1.0.0 only.
i thought jamais vu was seperate from fusee gelee?

yeah heres a quote from her website
"I will say that pure-software implementations of Fusée Gelée exist, but they're some of the ones I'm least excited about, especially on higher firmwares."

currently yes, 1.0.0 is the only software exploit, but from what kate says eventually we should be able to implement the exploit from software. (i would assume thats not gonna be publicly disclosed until atmosphere is done tho, considering thats probably how must people will hack their switch, and right now nothing is very useful to the end user unless you can use pegaswitch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: