• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

SJWs, NPCs, Alt-Right, Nazis, Anti-SJWs, Woke, Far-Right, Far-Left, Left...

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 9,722
  • Replies 140
  • Likes 5
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Seems politics have made people really dense as they can't help but use a political side and one of the usual buzzwords to label someone. It's like folks can't come up with intelligent arguments anymore and then you either have people saying "I'm going to take down all those Alt-Right Nazis with my wokeness!!" or "NPC SJWs are ruining everything."

As a kid I'd thought we'd have hover cars and have that cool technological products from Back to the Future now but nah, you have people calling others "Nazis" or "SJWs." Politics... Smh.

The whole Left vs Right is just a Monopoly game but supporters of both sides think their support makes a difference.

To make it clear, I tend to agree with what the "anti-SJWs" but not really always and there are some dicks who think they're more, uh, what's the word.. red pilled? Guess that works.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the most part I agree with @linuxares. Though I lean conservative/libertarian (Not Republican. Never registered Republican. Never will.), I'm not an ideologue such that I see myself on a 'team' and just reflexively oppose anything a left-leaning person says. I think about it first, give it a fair shake, and occasionally I agree. Not usually, but occasionally.

But some people aren't like this at all. Perhaps it hurts their heads to think, or they just know they belong on side or the other. I'll never be able to get along with that kind of mental/political rigidity, but it's a fact of human nature. Nothing new in our age.

Hop over to Wikipedia and read about the Nika Riots in 532AD, for example. BLUE!!!

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to throw a few words and commas: social media, mob-mentality, low intelligence, attention-seeking, biased views, lack-of-critical-thinking.

That's pretty much what caused a lot of....this to happen.

I'm pretty sure, if the world calculated all the time wasted on "internet shit" and put it toward dealing with actual problems, we'd have:

at a CPP/MSRP of $299.99 because the world would have run out of problems and instead of 1,000,000,006 "cooking" shows, there'd be:

I'd say we're 15 years off where we should be.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Superbronx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to be saddled with a political label, libertarian /conservative would be most appropriate.
As for the muddled state our world finds itself in, I think one of the chief concerns is that most people do not care anymore. The average person is too concerned about the newest video game platform that's in development (ex., stadia) or the latest smartphone. But that's not the only thing distracting people. A, not so insignificant percentage of people are too focused and too concerned about providing for their families (an honorable concern) and keeping debts paid on time. They really have no time to extend themselves outside that focus.
To begin to change the chaos in our countries, people need to arm themselves with knowledge. The more we know about the inner workings of our countries, the more effective we become at steering them back to stability.

Reactions: Sapphire01

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, some of these are not like the others. Nobody is going to be offended if you call them 'leftist' or 'right-wing.' I also don't see any issue with calling a spade a spade, for example if someone is walking around with swastika tattoos, obviously they're a neo-nazi and don't have any issue being identified as such. 'SJW' and 'NPC' were created with the express intent of being insulting, however, and they don't attempt to classify a person's political leanings in any meaningful way.

Last edited by Xzi,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Meh...people will label others. Always have. Always will be. That in itself isn't so much an issue as it is that assuming that people with different labels have less value than you. It's also annoying that some try to deafen other labels by mischaracterizing their ideologies rather than promoting their own label (as a leftie, I should stress the importance of environment and social community instead of dissing others for what I MIGHT THINK that extreme right stands for)

The whole Left vs Right is just a Monopoly game but supporters of both sides think their support makes a difference.
Erm...can you clarify what you mean with this? I don't get the term 'monopoly game' in this context. The latter...to me it seems like a conspiracy theory, but (no offense) it might just be your country.

Okay, I admit that there are some political agreements already being made (it's a good few weeks before the actual election), but that doesn't mean the support for the parties is useless.

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
'SJW' and 'NPC' were created with the express intent of being insulting, however, and they don't attempt to classify a person's political leanings in any meaningful way.

What? The term SJW was mainly used in a neutral or positive way to describe persons that hold specific political views. It became negative when people started pointing and laughing at their ideas.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What? The term SJW was mainly used in a neutral or positive way to describe persons that hold specific political views. It became negative when people started pointing and laughing at their ideas.
It's never had positive connotations, you can simply call somebody 'liberal on social issues' instead. 'SJW' is a term created by the right to mock the left, an equivalent of the reverse being perhaps 'bible thumper' or 'gun nut.'

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's never had positive connotations, you can simply call somebody 'liberal on social issues' instead. 'SJW' is a term created by the right to mock the left, an equivalent of the reverse being perhaps 'bible thumper' or 'gun nut.'

Then please go and edit the the wikipedia article, just don't forget to cite your sources. We can't let this misinformation stand!

Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Then please go and edit the the wikipedia article, just don't forget to cite your sources. We can't let this misinformation stand!

Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior
The entry there already seems to reinforce what I've said of the term. The source used for it being originally 'neutral or positive' doesn't actually say that at all. It says most people had never heard of the term until Gamergate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-a-gamergate-insult-is-now-a-dictionary-entry

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The entry there already seems to reinforce what I've said of the term. The source for it being originally 'neutral or positive' doesn't actually say that at all. It says most people had never heard of the term until Gamergate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-a-gamergate-insult-is-now-a-dictionary-entry

From your own source
Edit: Or rather the source linked in the Wikipedia article which substantiates what's in the article, sorry for that

When it was a compliment

More than 20 years ago, the term was generally used as a neutral or even complimentary describer. Here’s a clip from a 1991 write-up of a Montreal jazz festival, from the Montreal Gazette:

[Quebec guitarist Rene] Lussier will present the world premiere of his ambitious Quebecois mood piece Le Tresor de la Langue, which juxtaposes the spoken word — including sound bites from Charles de Gaulle and Quebec nationalist and social-justice warrior Michel Chartrand — with new- music noodlings.

Seriously, start reading past the headline

Last edited by supersonicwaffle,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
From your own source

Seriously, start reading past the headline
Literally the first paragraph of the article:

Most people hadn’t heard of a “social justice warrior” until about a year ago, when it emerged as the preferred term among the Gamergate movement for the people they believed to be their greatest enemies. Now, the word has crossed over enough into mainstream use that in August, “Social Justice Warrior” was included in the latest batch of words added to Oxford Dictionaries. The online dictionary from Oxford University Press defined the phrase as an informal, derogatory noun referring to “a person who expresses or promotes socially progressive views.”
By the time it was added to the dictionary, it was already declared a derogatory term.

Seriously, stop trying to cherry pick what to quote and what not to.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily the right, even some of the left use it. To me at least, SJW is almost exclusively the extreme left - the sort who attempt to force views their way or... well.. see the Vic Mignogna situation... IE: these "SJWs" are doxing ANYONE who stands up for him (If you're not up to date: they literally started sending cellphones to individuals linked to the Vic Mignogna side to dox them via tracking the phone's location).

Reactions: Subtle Demise

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Literally the first paragraph of the article:

By the time it was added to the dictionary, it was already declared a derogatory term.

We can play that game if you want. Explain your interpration of the usage of the word NPC in accordance with this then: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/npc .
Or we can be reasonable people and agree that words exist before a dictionary defines them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
We can play that game if you want. Explain your interpration of the usage of the word NPC in accordance with this then: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/npc .
Or we can be reasonable people and agree that words exist before a dictionary defines them.
I never said the term 'NPC' didn't exist prior to its negative connotations, quite obviously it has existed for decades. It's only the meme form of it that's intended to be insulting.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems politics have made people really dense as they can't help but use a political side and one of the usual buzzwords to label someone. It's like folks can't come up with intelligent arguments anymore and then you either have people saying "I'm going to take down all those Alt-Right Nazis with my wokeness!!" or "NPC SJWs are ruining everything."

As a kid I'd thought we'd have hover cars and have that cool technological products from Back to the Future now but nah, you have people calling others "Nazis" or "SJWs." Politics... Smh.

To make it clear, I tend to agree with what the "anti-SJWs" but not really always and there are some dicks who think they're more, uh, what's the word.. red pilled? Guess that works.
I call out people acting like idiots, but you have to admit the crazy far left people have the largest voice and are supported by the media including social media outlets. People who are racist are usually quickly dealt with, heck even people who did nothing but disagree with SJW are quickly dealt with. Yet you can say any racist comment against "white" people you want, and you can be as sexist as you want against men.

Last edited by kevin corms,

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I never said the term 'NPC' didn't exist prior to its negative connotations, quite obviously it has existed for decades. It's only the meme form of it that's intended to be insulting.

I'm confused, are you saying that meanings and the usage of language changes over time and dictionaries don't keep up?

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not necessarily the right, even some of the left use it. To me at least, SJW is almost exclusively the extreme left - the sort who attempt to force views their way or... well.. see the Vic Mignogna situation... IE: these "SJWs" are doxing ANYONE who stands up for him (If you're not up to date: they literally started sending cellphones to individuals linked to the Vic Mignogna side to dox them via tracking the phone's location).
I think the easiest way to separate a SJW from someone who is left wing is too see if they are bigots and toxic. SJW dont even care what the truth is, as long as they feel "morally right". SJW and alt right folks are just toxic people, the side they pick depends on who is around them and/or what they think will get them the most likes on social media, or the most eyes on other media. The SJWs seem to hate Jews and use terms like "person of color" which was used to describe free slaves in the past, they also attack minorities who dare support right wing politicians viciously online. Everything they say is a bunch of bs, as a Cajun-Acadian (we were never considered to have "whiteness" and went to the same schools as the black kids) Ive done a lot of research on what we know as race... below is a good starting point that illustrates both alt-right and SJW are insane, and worse of all almost nobody has proper knowledge of what the concept of race even is.

Last edited by kevin corms,
Reactions: Superbronx

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Regarding this: I took the liberty to mark up the parts of the article that talk about the words transition to be derogatory and attached it as a screenshot, it's about half the article. I cut it up because of possible copyright issues but you can look it up yourself. It even contains quotes from the Head of Lexical Content Strategy at Oxford University Press Katherine Martin where she acknowledged the term had a positive connotation.

Sorry but you accusing me of cherry picking quotes is pretty rich.

Attachments

• shot-20190507-9077-1fzd9uk.jpeg
    shot-20190507-9077-1fzd9uk.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 109

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [wakes up, gets a woodie I didn't want, runs up to K3Nv2 and has Cex with him]...