Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure announced

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they took a terrible idea and stuck the face of a well-known and dead franchise on it?

Remember when Spyro was, you know, good? Back when it was on the PlayStation 1?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shake31 said:
spyro look freakin retarded, this game is going to suck
*sigh* You younguns
closedeyes.gif

Though seriously, isn't the purpose kind of defeated now? I mean, Spyro was fun because of the time period in which it was released and the console it was released on, I can't see this as being too great. I mean, I doubt it can have the effect Spyro the Dragon and Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage had.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like Activision is dropping their pants and taking another dump on a once great franchise.

I just hate to see Spyro go through this, it really pains me. I loved the original three Spyros and hold them higher than Super Mario 64 as a platformer/adventure game. I mean odds are this will just be corporate whoring of Spyro to promote toys and nothing legitimately good. Possibly better than Spyro games post-Year of the Dragon (since Year of the Dragon was absolutely phenomenal), but that's not saying much.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT- Found a video of how the toy/game connection works-
[youtube]Ui3GRImyzfs[/youtube]

Looks like the portal connects to the game system somehow. It's for multiple game systems. You place the action figures on the portal and it loads them instantly into the game. Take the character off and he disappears from the game screen, asking you to place another figure on the portal. The figures also seem to have some sort of embedded memory storage inside, the guy mentions being able to save your stats/money/etc inside the figure and being able to take your figure to a friend's house and transferring your stats into his game. Seems like a very cheap gimmick that will rip off a great number of people. Kind of like a possibly more expensive (and more wasteful) version of DLC.
rolleyes.gif

I'm holding off on my opinion of the game itself until it's out. But i think everyone (or most) seem to agree that this is a perfect example of corporate whoring at its worst. It's a terrible idea.

I have to agree with the PS1 classics being the best by far. I won't ever contest that, i love them myself. I do have to admit though, i have enjoyed a few Spyro games after Insomniac left. I didn't think Enter the Dragonfly on Gamecube was as horrible as everyone says (i find it decent, but keyword being Gamecube, PS2 version is just terribad). I also enjoy Hero's Tail. It was the final game in the original Spyro timeline before they rebooted it so i have a bit of respect for it. And a guilty pleasure for me are the Spyro games on GBA (or a few of them). Season of Ice, Fire, and Attack of the Rhynocs i liked (thought the perspective made things confusing). And i enjoyed Eternal Night, the only title in the rebooted franchise that i've enjoyed, and it was on GBA no less. It's a pretty fun 2D platformer. Can't really stand anything else though.

Just a shame Insomniac can't just return to the helm. I wish they'd "reverse reboot" the franchise. Dunno why that has to be impossible. I've only heard of Ubisoft doing it with Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands (after rebooting it with Prince '08). I guess the current Spyro owners just don't want them around. Crash Bandicoot suffered from the same fate...

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Milking a dead franchise, and these games were classics back on the PS1, still have them...somewhere
huh.gif
Damn, the new Spyro, IMO, looks absolutely horrific, it could be more detailed, with the newer consoles but it looks horrible.

Seriously, the toy idea is fucking retarded, in one way, it's a good comeback at piracy but for ds, there will be ar codes or something (I assume). I'll still give it a try but it just seems totally pointless.

hufacuse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I am a big fan of Spyro but stopped at "Legend of Spyro". I thought Spyro looked average/bad in Legend but this new spyro is absolutely horrible!! It looks like an evil thing. It's not like the originals where Spyro was all nice and friendly looking. But I must say the graphics for the worlds are nice.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
spyro looks like a complete tard and you have to buy toys to play a fucking game who designed this shit?! I'm gonna laugh my ass off when this abomination of an idea crashes and burns! spyro died after spyro 3 leave him be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...