Hacking Question Softmod solution this year?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fusee Gelee is a type of hardmod, you cannot boot into it without shorting pin 10 which is a type of hardware modification. Even using AutoRCM doesn't count as much because you cannot install AutoRCM without inducing RCM at least once via a hardmod.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A method of launching CFW through the browser on 4.1.0 exists privately, but it is unlikely to be released anytime soon for various reasons. In other words, systems on 3.0.1 and higher will probably require a jig and/or AutoRCM to launch CFW for a very long time. An untethered software exploit for launching CFW on 1.0.0-3.0.0 also exists privately, but it's likely to be released far sooner.

"Privately". Unless the reason is that it can brick the console then that's what I call selfish and not giving to the community. By the time they release anything for up to 4.1.0 I bet mostly everyone will be above that.

I'm on 4.1.0 and the doubt that anything will be released soon with the upcoming game line up at the end of the year means I won't be benefiting from whatever is planned. Might even buy SX OS if Atmosphère is lackluster and can't do what SX OS does in time for Smash and Pokémon. Really would like some sort of softmod but I guess it's becoming more benificial to update at this given time.

Reactions: Ita54_2

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
"Privately". Unless the reason is that it can brick the console then that's what I call selfish and not giving to the community. By the time they release anything for up to 4.1.0 I bet mostly everyone will be above that.

I'm on 4.1.0 and the doubt that anything will be released soon with the upcoming game line up at the end of the year means I won't be benefiting from whatever is planned. Might even buy SX OS if Atmosphère is lackluster and can't do what SX OS does in time for Smash and Pokémon. Really would like some sort of softmod but I guess it's becoming more benificial to update at this given time.
Keeping it private, because it is not know by nintendo is also selfish? If you see it like this, find your own exploit. You can be happy that there is someone who is willing to share to the comunity anything.
"Some random guy is not willing to share his exploit. He is so selfish, that he is not releasing his own private work to the public."

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

One of the reasons it's private is because the exploit chain still works in part on the latest version, and people want to use it to explore Mariko units that probably won't be vulnerable to RCM attacks. Given the availability of RCM payloads on all systems currently, there's literally no reason to consume this exploit chain now.

In other words, you're basically asking for a slightly more convenient exploit in exchange for stifling progress on Mariko units. This is what's in the best interest of the community.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Keeping it private, because it is not know by nintendo is also selfish? If you see it like this, find your own exploit. You can be happy that there is someone who is willing to share to the comunity anything.

Didn't know Nintendo wasn't aware but the fact it's for older firmwares I'm kind of lost on why it has been kept private, I mean unless, of course, it works on the latest firmware too... Lacius never said why its not been released to the public just that there are "various reasons". I do think it's selfish to keep things from the community, unless the reason is like you said and can be sorted by Nintendo but hasn't, yet.

One of the reasons it's private is because the exploit chain still works in part on the latest version, and people want to use it to explore Mariko units that probably won't be vulnerable to RCM attacks. Given the availability of RCM payloads on all systems currently, there's literally no reason to consume this exploit chain now.

In other words, you're basically asking for a slightly more convenient exploit in exchange for stifling progress on Mariko units. This is what's in the best interest of the community.

Yeah, that makes sense and is a pretty viable reason. I'd rather the newer units are exploited too, not that they will have any advantage over the current ones from what I can imagine. I just wish more progress would happen I mean, at least in the next few months before the end of the year so I don't end up missing out.

Last edited by Ian095,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be interesting to see what TX has for Mariko, if anything. Their word that SX OS works on all Switches will be debunked once those units hit the market. Who knows, maybe they've got their version of Deja Vu in store for us.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fusee Gelee is a type of hardmod, you cannot boot into it without shorting pin 10 which is a type of hardware modification. Even using AutoRCM doesn't count as much because you cannot install AutoRCM without inducing RCM at least once via a hardmod.
Actually no it's not... A hardware mod is making a physical change to the devices hardware. You do not have to make a physical change to the device to use RCM you can simply short the pin with whatever metal object you wish and done. No need to physically attach any new device or modify the existing hardware. It is a software mod plain and simple. While there are hardware mods one can do to make using RCM easy it doesn't require a hard mod.

Also a tethered jailbreak has never been considered a hard mod in any scene thus far so why would this be any different.

Last edited by mikey420,
Reactions: c80

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually no it's not... A hardware mod is making a physical change to the devices hardware. You do not have to make a physical change to the device to use RCM you can simply short the pin with whatever metal object you wish and done. No need to physically attach any new device or modify the existing hardware. It is a software mod plain and simple. While there are hardware mods one can do to make using RCM easy it doesn't require a hard mod.
You're saying that rerouting the electricity from either pins 1 or 7 into pin 10 is not a hardware modification but a software modification? That type of current does not normally flow like that. And it is manipulated with a piece of hardware (whether its a jig, paperclip, or tin foil). Permanent installation doesn't denote hardmods, hardmods can be temporary. And there are no purely software based methods of inducing RCM, AutoRCM requires the device to already be in RCM to be installed.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can't say wether a softmod will come later this year. However even with it, their is pretty much zero chance of a coldboot softmod either this year of the following year, so you won't exactly be saving a large amount of time.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would be interesting to see what TX has for Mariko, if anything. Their word that SX OS works on all Switches will be debunked once those units hit the market. Who knows, maybe they've got their version of Deja Vu in store for us.

Considering most of t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ code is just repurposed from Atmosphère I'd be amazed if they had anything prepared for the hardware revision. Do any of us really know what's round the corner in terms of a hardware revision Nintendo might even be holding back to see what the community does to try to prevent anything else possible before rolling the new consoles out.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't modify the hardware by shortening a pin. If you don't modify hardware its no hardmod. Shortening this pins is the same as pressing a button
But you can't short the pins without introducing something foreign to the Switch and that something has to be physical not software-based. Adding a jig, paperclip, or tin foil are physical items that are not part of the Switch's hardware. You cannot call this a type of softmod.

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You're saying that rerouting the electricity from either pins 1 or 7 into pin 10 is not a hardware modification but a software modification?
Exactly. This changes just one bit of the inputs. The software reads this bit and then behaves like programmed. It is the same as pushing a button or setting a jumper. No modification of hardware, just using it as intended

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You cannot call this a type of softmod.
You have to because no hardware is modified

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. This changes just one bit of the inputs. The software reads this bit and then behaves like programmed. It is the same as pushing a button or setting a jumper. No modification of hardware, just using it as intended
But to reach that point, you have to introduce something foreign to the Switch because current does not normally flow between those pins in the first place. Inserting a jig is definitely nowhere near the level of hardware manipulation as a modchip, but it doesn't qualify as a softmod either.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're saying that rerouting the electricity from either pins 1 or 7 into pin 10 is not a hardware modification but a software modification? That type of current does not normally flow like that. And it is manipulated with a piece of hardware (whether its a jig, paperclip, or tin foil). Permanent installation doesn't denote hardmods, hardmods can be temporary. And there are no purely software based methods of inducing RCM, AutoRCM requires the device to already be in RCM to be installed.
Not at all I'm saying it doesn't require a hardware mod to do it. Shorting a pin with a wire or paper clip is not a hardware mod. Seriously how hard is it to understand the difference between shoving a wire into something and soldering a wire into something. A hardmod is a physical change to the existing hardware. Shorting a pin with a wire without even opening the device is not a physical change to the hardware.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at all I'm saying it doesn't require a hardware mod to do it. Shorting a pin with a wire or paper clip is not a hardware mod. Seriously how hard is it to understand the difference between shoving a wire into something and soldering a wire into something. A hardmod is a physical change to the existing hardware. Shorting a pin with a wire without even opening the device is not a physical change to the hardware.
Because what you're saying is that introducing the wire or paperclip doesn't count as hardware. They certainly are not a part of the Switch's hardware and must be introduced externally. The end effect is software based but cannot be achieved without a physical item being introduced which does not originally belong to the Switch.

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
introducing the wire or paperclip doesn't count as hardware
introducing the wire or paperclip doesn't count as modifying hardware.

Would you call using a jumper a hardmod? Would you call pushing a button a hardmod? Of course not. This is exactly the same.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
introducing the wire or paperclip doesn't count as modifying hardware.

Would you call using a jumper a hardmod? Would you call pushing a button a hardmod? Of course not. This is exactly the same.
Yes? Its temporary and external, but that wire is not a part of the car and must be introduced from outside of the car's hardware. It would be silly to call the jumper a softmod. If you want to invent a new category for external, temporary hardmods that are not softmods either, by all means be my guest

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol