Sony partially acquires Evo, online tournament details announced

Evo.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment made a surprise move in the esports world today. The company, in partnership with new esports venture RTS, has acquired the renowned Evolution Championship Series, more commonly known as Evo. The announcement came via a message from Evo's Twitter account:

Sony also released a statement via their website, in which they expressed their enthusiasm at the acquisition and took the opportunity to announce Evo Online 2021, which will take place on August 6th-8th, and 13th-15th. The tournament will have free entry for gamers in North America, Europe, Asia, and Latin America to compete. Sony also took the time to assure fans and competitors that they remain committed to keeping Evo as authentic as possible, despite the new ownership.

Our collective team is laser-focused on one mission: preserving the authenticity of Evo for the fighting game community and finding creative ways, alongside our fans, to grow the tournament and make its events and broadcasts more fun, engaging and accessible than ever. At its core, Evo will remain what it has always been: an open-format competition that gives fighting game fans from different countries a chance to connect, test their skills, and forge new friendships.

Regarding Sony's partner in this acquisition, RTS, the statement shed some light on the fledgling company which is helmed by Stuart Saw.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has teamed up with RTS to acquire Evo through a joint venture partnership. With expertise spanning esports event management, brand and developer consulting and gaming talent management, RTS is a new venture led by CEO Stuart Saw and backed by investors including global entertainment, sports and content company Endeavor.

Sony also confirmed that Evo co-founders Tom and Tony Cannon will remain involved with the tournament in an advisory role. In another tweet from Mark Julio, director of business development for Evo, it was confirmed that despite the partial ownership by Sony, Evo would continue to be open to all platforms going forward.

:arrow:Source

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo has provided a statement regarding Sony's acquisition of the Evolution Championship Series.“Nintendo has enjoyed engaging with fans at past Evo tournaments and wish the show organizers the best with their new venture. We will continue to assess Evo, and other opportunities, as we plan for future online and offline Super Smash Bros. tournament activity.” A spokesperson for Nintendo said.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has provided a statement regarding Sony's acquisition of the Evolution Championship Series.“Nintendo has enjoyed engaging with fans at past Evo tournaments and wish the show organizers the best with their new venture. We will continue to assess Evo, and other opportunities, as we plan for future online and offline Super Smash Bros. tournament activity.” A spokesperson for Nintendo said.

"We're not using EVO anymore. Peace" - Nintendo

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Heh, no more smashin' is my guess.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this won't be that bad

*Looks at Capcom not wanting fan art of characters that they designed to be visually...titillating to be posted online anymore, knows that Sony has gone full SJW these days with TLOU2 and other censorship in an inversion of how it used to be between Sony and Nintendo in the 90's, and how the FGC has now developed a "Code of Conduct" because they can't do something as basic as hiring an external company to go through people's personal phones to see if maybe, just maybe, they should even be working for any respectable organization*

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, microsoft aquiring smash.gg and sony with partial ownership of evo. great that larger companies can see potential i guess

I thought most of the fighting game community was on pc(or maybe I think that just because I mainly discuss fighting games with other pc gamers)

games will be played on whatever platform they are on if they are exclusive, but logistically its usually played on playstation because it would be the easiest to rent to cover most devices. The reason why at a physical location why PC's arent used is that they have the chance of random crashes and different pcs offering different performance depending on setup, and just to standardize setups, consoles are typically used in favor of PCs.

Last edited by GBADWB,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

To be fair, I don't see how this could hurt the SONY brand recognition; Fighting and Racing Games seem to be the only two legitimate platforms that don't promote Child Gambling, which is where a lot of the flack for Online Gaming has come from, including on SONY as the main platform for Sports Games.

I've seen an increase in their YouTube Livestreams of Fighting Tournaments of late and it makes sense if this is coming from the same mindset and business plan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And he/she used to do any/every mod to the Switch, just to learn and teach others as well. A true Switch genius.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken secret tactic to expose them, "I was told you where a really bad person, now I'm not so sure." Watch who they tear into, that's the person who is doing that crap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just say this person said this about you and let it play out
    Fight lies with truth
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't want me to snitch don't treat me any different
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, new version of rock paper scissors: truth lies
    hipocrisy
    +1
    My ex fiance was a master liar, manipulator and hypocrite. An actual diagnosed psychopath.
    They are not even human in my opinion.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because I said you were big that one time you believed me
    +1
    The shameful part is, I fell so in love with her mask. If I could find the real woman she pretended to be I would die for her without a moments hesitation.
    Truly loved what was never there
    I would have fought demons, gods, armies.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Be gentle, I've never done this before." What, biatch you got 3 kids already. Lol, I know loves sucks hard when bad, but really good when good.
    +2
    Lol BigOnYa I hear "I don't usually do sex on the first date" like every 2 to 3 weeks now...
    +1
    I never quite know how to respond lol
    Apparently saying nothing is the correct response lol
    I know they be lying but damn I need something
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You say " is your boyfriend gonna stay and watch, or should I call A cab for him"
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Psionic Roshambo I have alot of family that lives in St pete, Clearwater, Tampa area, what part of FL you in?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    what is good, family
    Elfers Florida lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Where is that, city close to
    Lived in Hudson from 1999-2023
    Like hmm 45 minutes north of Tampa
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is nice down there, better than Ohio where I am, but I can't take the heat, year round
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Is nice down there, better than Ohio where I am, but I can't take the heat, year round