South Park: The Stick of Truth censored for European release

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh OK thanks for enlightenment. Still pretty bad situation though. I hate that kind of thinking where adults can't choose what to buy for entertainment just because of "why won't anyone think about the children?!?"

AND that won't change my toughts that devs alter the game because of germany. Why else they would?

Well, mostly adults are allowed to buy what they want ( even though they might be required to prove their age, for example when ordering "18" stuff from amazon one has to show the delivery guy some kind of ID as proof of age).

And somehow I don't believe the German market is to blame for the abortion minigame censorship, as abortion hasn't been a hot topic here since it was legalized back in the 1970s. If they had cut out the Jew class, then it would have been most likely because of us.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's $60 for a full fledged RPG game, stop bitching about it Christ.

This isn't some little shit downloadable title, this is a big RPG made by a big RPG developer released as a full console game. Please realize this and stop crying.

No one is complaining about the console price (not I at least, console peasants can pay what they want).
So, why is Thief $50? That's quite a high fidelity game and yet it's only $50 on PC. Just because this is an RPG doesn't incur an extra $10 over the PC norm. $60 is a greedy price on the PC and it's only certain publishers (Craptivision, EA, Ubisoft) that actively push it while the better ones stick around the PC norm.

FlareTheFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Aww, I really am disappointed to learn of this. After seeing a few trailers and gameplay videos, I was kinda looking forward to it. Though it is kinds true, some things cannot be unseen. But isn't that the South Park charm? Pushing the boundaries and whatnot? I'll never forget my mother's reaction when she heard the tv series for the first time... :rofl2:

But yeah, it is ironic it's going to be censored for us Europeans when you think about what South Park means to its fans and the title of the game in question...
Foxi, do your magic. I want to play the uncut version so I can complain about my bleeding eyes later!! X3

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi, do your magic. I want to play the uncut version so I can complain about my bleeding eyes later!! X3
O-oh course hun, I'll, umm... purchase this video game as I do with every single one we play, and I will purchase it new to support the studio and the developers... Yes... *Whistles nonchalantly* :ninja:
*$10 makes a difference*
I would gladly pay $60 for a good game and if I don't have that much, I can always get it pre-owned. I don't think that's a terribly over-the-top price, most contemporary games sell for prices in that ballpark. I don't see a reason why PC gamers should get the exact same game cheaper, no reasons at all, maybe except for the sense of self-entitlement and the marginal royalties costs (which Steam no doubt has as well).

My only problem with this release is that it's missing content, ergo I'll have to look for *cough cough* "workarounds".

Reactions: FlareTheFox

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
O-oh course hun, I'll, umm... purchase this video game as I do with every single one we play, and I will purchase it new to support the studio and the developers... Yes... *Whistles nonchalantly* :ninja:
I would gladly pay $60 for a good game and if I don't have that much, I can always get it pre-owned. I don't think that's a terribly over-the-top price, most contemporary games sell for prices in that ballpark. I don't see a reason why PC gamers should get the exact same game cheaper, no reasons at all, maybe except for the sense of self-entitlement and the marginal royalties costs (which Steam no doubt has as well).

My only problem with this release is that it's missing content, ergo I'll have to look for *cough cough* "workarounds".

It's quite simple really. Console games are more expensive because most are physically manufactured, which costs enough to make a difference. The price is increased to compensate for the costs of all that. The only time I actually see physical copies of PC games is when they're triple A games these days, and hell still most of them only cost the norm of $50. Pretty much no PC gamers buy physical copies anymore unless it's for collection purposes. Console gamers are, I suppose, getting away from it but there's still a huge sector for physical copies.

And just to note, i'm not really being 'cheap'. $60 is a pittance I can impulse spend in a second, but that doesn't change the fact I refuse to support producers that are attempting to raise the price of the average PC game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's quite simple really. Console games are more expensive because most are physically manufactured, which costs enough to make a difference. The price is increased to compensate for the costs of all that. The only time I actually see physical copies of PC games is when they're triple A games these days, and hell still most of them only cost the norm of $50. Pretty much no PC gamers buy physical copies anymore unless it's for collection purposes. Console gamers are, I suppose, getting away from it but there's still a huge sector for physical copies.

And just to note, i'm not really being 'cheap'. $60 is a pittance I can impulse spend in a second, but that doesn't change the fact I refuse to support producers that are attempting to raise the price of the average PC game.
I agree with you, digitally distributed games should be cheaper, but that doesn't concern PC only.

If we're talking digital, the games should be cheaper not just on Steam, but also console services like PSN and XBL, which admittedly isn't always the case, but they're slowly catching up to the idea, see: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes for example.

I was talking in general terms - boxed game versus boxed game, digital release versus digital release. Comparing a game distributed over Steam on PC and a game in a retail box for a console doesn't make a whole lot of sense because the distribution channel is obviously different. And before you say otherwise, yeah, you can get PC games in retail boxes still and I do know people who do just that - perhaps for collector's purposes as you mention, perhaps because that's their preference.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
What is it with the Australian censors and anal probing? They ban any game with anal probing. Do they think gamers will go around and start anal probing each other?
And what I absolutely do not understand is HOW can you ban a cartoon game? Its absolutely NOT REAL! ITS A CARTOON! AND A GAME AT THAT! so WHY would they even think of censoring it?

The censorship board now have a R18+ rating. How about they use it like its supposed to be used. If you dont think kids should be playing it then rate it R18+ and let adults enjoy the game the way it was made.

Australia is full of censorship its really pathetic. Try going up to a cop and say "its a fu**ing lovely day isn't it a$$hole" and you will get fined or arrested for swearing. I thought we had freedom of speech here but we dont.

Australia is like a different dimension - they ban games for the dumbest of reasons. I mean, they banned "State of Decay" because of... use of medicine, including methadone, amphetamine, aspirin, ibuprofen and other real-life drugs. Microsoft has to swap the names of drugs for imaginary ones in case the poor gamers get stupid ideas when playing the game... that's going to be rated for mature audiences anyways because it features shooting zombies.
They did the same for Fallout 3. That had real name drugs and they have to rename them all. I dont have a clue which does what now but if they had the real names I would know what to take and what to miss.
It now makes the games more confusing. Thanks for nothing you moronic censors.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They did the same for Fallout 3. That had real name drugs and they have to rename them all. I dont have a clue which does what now but if they had the real names I would know what to take and what to miss.
It now makes the games more confusing. Thanks for nothing you moronic censors.
Real-life drugs in Fallout 3? You sure you got that right? I'm pretty sure that they used all the original, iconic names like Stimpak, Buffout, Mentats, Psycho etc., I've never heard of a Fallout game using actual names of drugs, unless it was a story element I overlooked or something. :unsure:

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Real-life drugs in Fallout 3? You sure you got that right? I'm pretty sure that they used all the original, iconic names like Stimpak, Buff-out, Mentats, Psycho etc., I've never heard of a Fallout game using actual names of drugs, unless it was a story element I overlooked or something. :unsure:
You're right. There's no "Meth", "Cocaine", etc. The only real drugs are alcohol and cigarettes.

That's a totally understandable viewpoint. That's not the point, though. You're saying the quality of the game is dependent upon its retail price, even when pirating. And that makes no fucking sense whatsoever. You said you refuse to support producers who're trying to raise PC prices, but you're not supporting anyone, except possibly the torrent site/other site you pirate from through ad revenue.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

It's not that simple

around 25% is retailers cut
distribution costs are like 10%
around 10-20% is the console licensing fee

then there's various crap like returns.

Overall console games always cost more because of the price cut by console manufacturer, digital or not.

Another problem with consoles is that the digital market is controller by console manufacturer. On pc we got steam, gog, and bunch of other retailers that manage to sell steam games cheaper than steam does (where prices are set by publishers) So theres more competition on the market. There's indie game market, there's bunch of other games that aren't on consoles, there's no backwards compatibility issues, at least nothing that can't be managed so the choice is much larger. After all I personally rarely buy day 1 games, i have huge backlog and tons of games to choose from so i usually wait till prices get reasonable. There's also a bit different mentality. You buy a steam or gog game, it's on your account you won't sell it to someone else, rent it out or whatever.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Real-life drugs in Fallout 3? You sure you got that right? I'm pretty sure that they used all the original, iconic names like Stimpak, Buffout, Mentats, Psycho etc., I've never heard of a Fallout game using actual names of drugs, unless it was a story element I overlooked or something. :unsure:
You know why there are no real drugs in Fallout 3? Its becuase they banned it with the real drug names and have to redo it. That was before it was released.
Fallout 3 was made in Qld so Australian censors had the first go at it. It would look really stupid for a game to be made in Aus and not sold there as it was banned. Thats why they renamed all the drugs from the real named to the made up names to get past the censors.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/54651/fallout-3-censorship-goes-global

Thats also one reason why a lot of game studios closed or moved to different countries as the Australian censors are too strict and stupid. Its easier to make a game in Canada where the censors dont have such a fuss over games like they do in Aus.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one is complaining about the console price (not I at least, console peasants can pay what they want).
So, why is Thief $50? That's quite a high fidelity game and yet it's only $50 on PC. Just because this is an RPG doesn't incur an extra $10 over the PC norm. $60 is a greedy price on the PC and it's only certain publishers (Craptivision, EA, Ubisoft) that actively push it while the better ones stick around the PC norm.

The level of entitlement of PC gamers is fucking mindboggling.

$10 is not a big difference, if you want to pay less for it than wait until the price drops or it goes on sale.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The level of entitlement of PC gamers is fucking mindboggling.

$10 is not a big difference, if you want to pay less for it than wait until the price drops or it goes on sale.

Well there has to be a counterbalance for console idiots spending hundreds on dollars on dlc and microtransactions.. besides, 10usd can be quite a lot depending on where you live.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Funny? Sure. Just as funny? Iuno. Those scenes where people crap their pants when they die are funnier than the text saying they are crapping their pants.

Which would you rather, the creators themselves coming up with creative ways to censor the game and still make it funny or blatant removal of specific parts/things in the game with very little effort done to replace it or cover it up?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhe5d1WED8 +1