Hacking [SPECULATION] Current State of Affairs for 3DS Flash Cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been waiting for multirom to pull out my Gateway again. Guess I'll have to wait even more (possibly forever). Pretty soon, I'm just gonna suck it up. I only have two microSDs for Gateway purposes. One 1GB and one 8GB. Guess I'll have to stick to one small and one big game at a time. ):

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't mean me I hope!!

Nah, its not you. But the next person that asks me that I won't respond either way. It's Mr R. He knows who he is. But this ends here. It's just a rant/observation from me really.

I've been waiting for multirom to pull out my Gateway again. Guess I'll have to wait even more (possibly forever). Pretty soon, I'm just gonna suck it up. I only have two microSDs for Gateway purposes. One 1GB and one 8GB. Guess I'll have to stick to one small and one big game at a time. ):

Yeah, luckily I have a couple of mSD cards. It's just annoying having to keep track of which rom is on which sd card. Also, sometimes I like to take a brake from say.... Mario&Luigi and play something lighter like Crush3D.

I will invest in a multirom card soon. In maybe 2 weeks.

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No. It makes no sense for them to do so. It's not going to happen. Financially, it's the dumbest thing to do.
Why not? If they remain Gateway they carry over their popularity and new customers will most likely buy a hypothetical gateway v2. And if it's easy to transfer the updates from the 6.x exploit to the 4.5 (except for keyY incompatibilities), I don't really see what's so bad about this. If they change their name to make a new cart they will be "just another developer who ripped off GW" and get instantly ignored from a portion of people who simply do not want to deal with cloners.
You would be effectively removing the one figure that is the "original creator", which has always been the main selling point of GW, even through the bricking fiasco people still bought a GW because others are just clones and that is unappealing to many.

Unless they own literally every single cart out there, in the past, present, and future, in which case it makes sense for them to drop their cart every year and make people buy a new one because any choice would still be them profiting out of this.

But as soon as a nandsave cart comes out, a cheap clone will also come out, and more people will just end up trusting cheap, bad clones if GW now runs away under a different name.

For example, I know for a fact that if gateway disappears and makes a new "quality" cart under a different name, I will just get its cheapest shitty clone because the "quality developer" is now known to drop support just like the cheap one, I just end up paying more for no actual advantage knowing what they do. How does this benefit GW in any way? I think they are much better off if they remain on top of their pedestal. People are going to find out who is behind every cart anyway, as this very thread is proof.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Why not? If they remain Gateway they carry over their popularity and new customers will most likely buy a hypothetical gateway v2. And if it's easy to transfer the updates from the 6.x exploit to the 4.5 (except for keyY incompatibilities), I don't really see what's so bad about this. If they change their name to make a new cart they will be "just another developer who ripped off GW" and get instantly ignored from a portion of people who simply do not want to deal with cloners.
You would be effectively removing the one figure that is the "original creator", which has always been the main selling point of GW, even through the bricking fiasco people still bought a GW because others are just clones and that is unappealing to many.

Unless they own literally every single cart out there, in the past, present, and future, in which case it makes sense for them to drop their cart every year and make people buy a new one because any choice would still be them profiting out of this.

But as soon as a nandsave cart comes out, a cheap clone will also come out, and more people will just end up trusting cheap, bad clones if GW now runs away under a different name.

For example, I know for a fact that if gateway disappears and makes a new "quality" cart under a different name, I will just get its cheapest shitty clone because the "quality developer" is now known to drop support just like the cheap one, I just end up paying more for no actual advantage knowing what they do. How does this benefit GW in any way? I think they are much better off if they remain on top of their pedestal. People are going to find out who is behind every cart anyway, as this very thread is proof.

I meant there is no chance they will update the current GW card. If anything they will only create a 2nd generation GW card. Of course its not bad for us if they can update the current GW card, but will they do it. No. It makes far better sense for people to spend more money and get the new card.

Also, there are information which I pointed out that suggests that GW is in fact involved with multiple flash carts (obviously not R4 and 3dslink).

If they drop the GW name and create a new cart with a different name, it would be hard pressed to find concrete evidence that they did that. After all, there is hardly any proof that MT-card is a joint effort between GW and SC. There's just allegations from a chinese leak with a reputation for being accurate. It benefits them as people are frustrated with lack of updates such as multirom and nand save. The first flash cart with these two features in tow will gain reputation of being solid, innovating and fair degree of perceived reliability. Clones of such a new card will be met with fears of bricks or lack of support. People will still flock to this new card instead of new clones.

This thread is not proof that we know who's who. It's just evidence to give people a fairly accurate idea. It's up to people to make sense of what the information might be saying.

To end off this reply. I like your thought processes but from the view point of a business, I'm sure you have to admit my argument makes more sense. GW currently owns they market, they can do whatever they like because they have a monopoly on the development.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes. KeyY encryption. Look it up for the specifics. But simply put it'll sort out the PokemonX/Y save corrupted issue once and for all.
It would - right up until Ninty changes the keys yet again in 8.x or something. (of course that won't affect Pokemon or any games out now, but it will cause the same issue again with newer games)

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wtf, one member sticks a heap of theories together and everyone take it for real...

That's bullshit. Some known scene hackers looked at it without success.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
conspiracies theories all around :)) time will show but it is unbelievable how fast those sprout cause of gateway delay ,i dont believe them maybe a rumor of the new flashcard to sell ? ;) it is a strange world out there

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is everyone magically forgetting the 3 month wait between 1.2 and 2.0b1? Yet the same length wait now for what are some pretty huge features is suddenly out of the question?

More conspiracy theories please.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Why is everyone magically forgetting the 3 month wait between 1.2 and 2.0b1? Yet the same length wait now for what are some pretty huge features is suddenly out of the question?

More conspiracy theories please.
it is a hype of new flasshcard promoters in order to sell thats how i see it and as long as gateway is not ready those rumors will grow ...

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, this becomes more and more credible every day.
I think you are on to something lambstone..

This sucks bigtime, at least GateWay could offer current owners a swap when they are going to sell their new hardware...but as many people say they are in it for the money so that won't prolly happen. It would be a good gesture though to win people back.

darkziosj

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Well if GW dissapear and a new card comes out of tin air with all it's features im sure as hell i won't buy it, i'll wait till there's a massive price drop or something else comes around i won't fall for the same crap.

Reactions: jrr6415sun

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate the idea of bricking my 3DS, and as much as I want to boot roms on my 3DS, (and more importantly execute homebrew when that starts to grow), I just have no trust or faith for any products currently on the market or possibly coming in the future because of what Gateway did. It seems incredibly possible that this new card could be the same Gateway team thats just trying to save face by changing name so more people might trust them again.

The best bet for me, is I think I'll wait for this supposed new card to come out. And then wait a solid year after that before I consider buying myself one.

Reactions: jrr6415sun

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
So by the time the new flashcards with integrated CPU and 6.1 support come out, can we, the few (or the only one) who are still on 4.2 and non-flashcard owners, expect a price-drop in the 'obsolete' 4.5 only, non-CPU flashcards?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So by the time the new flashcards with integrated CPU and 6.1 support come out, can we, the few (or the only one) who are still on 4.2 and non-flashcard owners, expect a price-drop in the 'obsolete' 4.5 only, non-CPU flashcards?
That's all not confirmed officially yet.
So... has anyone found the CPU on the MT-Card? I can't really see one. Here are two PCB pictures if someone wants to help me :D
98v1.jpg
bhdl.jpg

Reactions: dragonmaster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo