Hacking Spoofing a Wii U from 5.5.1 > 5.5.2 and Disabling Updates

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Lacius So I can just stay on 5.5.1 if so can I still play games online?
Yes, you can stay on 5.5.1. Yes, you can still play games online using 5.5.1. If a game requires a game update in order to be able to play online, you can install that update using Wii U USB Helper (recommended) or use NNU Patcher (not recommended unless you're using something other than a DNS to block updates).

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The safest option is to install eShop titles and updates using Wii U USB Helper instead of using the actual eShop. I also recommend that people block updates using the DNS method. As an extra safeguard, I recommend editing one's NAND to block updates as well. One could also block update URL's in the router settings, but that might interfere with other devices on the same network, such as the 3DS or Switch.

No 3DS , but I have a Switch, never had any issues with the router settings, I'm a bit too wary on relying wholly on the DNS method, but that's just me. Since I only have 480 MB of NAND left, with 2.5 GB of that being taken up by the Smash 4 update, will the WUP Installer actually overwrite it or do I need the 2.2 GB of space? Some people say it will, others say no. I guess I can just delete the update data beforehand. What a pain in the ass, thanks Nintendo.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No 3DS , but I have a Switch, never had any issues with the router settings
I brought up the Switch as a possibility. I don't actually know what servers it's using. I do know that blocking those update URL's will interfere with using the eShop on the 3DS.

I'm a bit too wary on relying wholly on the DNS method, but that's just me.
I'm the same way, which is why I edited my Wii U's NAND to be incapable of installing online updates.

Since I only have 480 MB of NAND left, with 2.5 GB of that being taken up by the Smash 4 update, will the WUP Installer actually overwrite it or do I need the 2.2 GB of space? Some people say it will, others say no. I guess I can just delete the update data beforehand. What a pain in the ass, thanks Nintendo.
My guess is it will overwrite the data, but I don't know for sure. As you already stated, you can just delete the old update data first.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I brought up the Switch as a possibility. I don't actually know what servers it's using. I do know that blocking those update URL's will interfere with using the eShop on the 3DS.

I'm the same way, which is why I edited my Wii U's NAND to be incapable of installing online updates.

My guess is it will overwrite the data, but I don't know for sure. As you already stated, you can just delete the old update data first.

Downloading update with USB Helper now (last night 304 wasn't available, but it is now thankfully), open up WUP installer Y Mod, then voila, I should be good. *Sigh* Sorry. Now I need to decide on whether or not to spoof.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downloading update with USB Helper now (last night 304 wasn't available, but it is now thankfully), open up WUP installer Y Mod, then voila, I should be good. *Sigh* Sorry. Now I need to decide on whether or not to spoof.
Since online play still works with 5.5.1, NNU Patcher is required to use the eShop regardless of whether or not you're spoofing 5.5.2, and spoofing doesn't block update notifications, there is absolutely no reason to spoof 5.5.2 at this time.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since online play still works with 5.5.1, NNU Patcher is required to use the eShop regardless of whether or not you're spoofing 5.5.2, and spoofing doesn't block update notifications, there is absolutely no reason to spoof 5.5.2 at this time.

Understood, I'll just update the game and keep my block settings as is. Sorry for asking so many questions, there's just been so many posts, threads, etc :ph34r:

Lezil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What problems do you have specifically?

I have a usb copy and I get the error "cant connect to partner device" 118-0515 - have the DNS block for updates so i dont know if thats the problem or what but i dont wanna change anything until i get more info

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a usb copy and I get the error "cant connect to partner device" 118-0515 - have the DNS block for updates so i dont know if thats the problem or what but i dont wanna change anything until i get more info
Are you using these DNS blocks, or are you using different ones? If you're using outdated DNS blocks, that could be your problem.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How does that work though? Do you block the servers or use the DNS method? And how does it not update the system update?
You keep dns blockers on and just run nnu patcher. No matter what sysmenu you are on when you start the eshop the wiiu first checks to see if you are on the latest sysnand if you are the eshop loads if you are not the latest firmware will download dns blockers stop the system from doing this check. What nnu patcher does is basically tells the wiiu the check has already been done and that you are on the latest firmware so the eshop loads once the eshop loads it sends a message of sorts to the wiiu downloader that you are also on latest sysnand when you are not so that is why exiting out of the eshop then loading whatever game needs updated works.

So to recap this is how we you update games on a lower than 5.5.2 wiiu
Start the wiiu
Then load homebrew launcher
Then load nnu patcher
The wiiu will reset to home screen
Load eshop and let it fully load
Exit out of eshop
Then select your game and it will now download latest game update.

Works perfectly with the new smash bros update done it myself this morning and system still on 5.5.1 and game working with no problems

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Lamato

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep thats what im using, looking at them now
Can you play online with other games? Are you on Wii U version 5.5.1? Are you using the latest Splatoon update (2.12.0)?

Can I spoof my Wii U on version 5.4.0 ?
In hindsight, you really should have updated to 5.5.1 during that very long window of opportunity you had to do so. Yes, you can spoof 5.5.2 on 5.4.0 if you're having trouble playing online.

antiNT

:)
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Can you play online with other games? Are you on Wii U version 5.5.1? Are you using the latest Splatoon update (2.12.0)?

In hindsight, you really should have updated to 5.5.1 during that very long window of opportunity you had to do so. Yes, you can spoof 5.5.2 on 5.4.0 if you're having trouble playing online.
I got my Wii U two days ago and it came with 5.4.0.

Lezil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ok so im playing on 5.5.1 - just got splatoon last night latest update 2.12.0 - if i need anything more than to block DNS - run hbl + mocha - then i might be missing a step

honestly i have never tried to play one online this is the first, going to try running another game real quick to see but i can play my disk version on mario maker NP

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OK having same problem with mario kart

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
You keep dns blockers on and just run nnu patcher. No matter what sysmenu you are on when you start the eshop the wiiu first checks to see if you are on the latest sysnand if you are the eshop loads if you are not the latest firmware will download dns blockers stop the system from doing this check. What nnu patcher does is basically tells the wiiu the check has already been done and that you are on the latest firmware so the eshop loads once the eshop loads it sends a message of sorts to the wiiu downloader that you are also on latest sysnand when you are not so that is why exiting out of the eshop then loading whatever game needs updated works.

Start the wiiu
Then load nnu patcher
Exit out of eshop

Works perfectly with the new smash bros update done it myself this morning and system still on 5.5.1 and game working with no problems
If I was you, do the deleting, the update folder part with ftpiiu, it works a treat. Your probably not going to need to update many games now but you never know.

Just start ftpiiu in your homebrew launcher, then start fillezilla on your pc put your wiiu ip in and click on connect, go to this folder, storage_mlc/sys... and delete the "update" folder, go back to your wiiu and exit out of your ftpiiu app "B" back into the main menu and shut your wiiu down properly and power it back up again then go to your dns servers get rid of them and go back to your original ip wifi settings, happy days! then you can update your games in the future instead of having to use nnu-patcher.

Last edited by Reecey,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Start the wiiu
Then load nnu patcher
Exit out of eshop

Load Eshop and let it fully load
Exit out of Eshop

What? All you have to do is run NNU Patcher and launch the game, which initiates the game update like normal. You NEVER have to go to Eshop for anything unless you still need Haxchi.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/04/08/walmart-settlement-meat-seafood-do-you-qualify/