Steve Jobs Dies

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Shinji_PG said:
I still didn't get my answer about what is Steve Jobs face doing on GBATemp's mainpage.

Rydian said:
self-pleasure

So why don't we have a picture of him dead? That would better relate to the news, I think.

EDIT: Btw, here's an interesting piece of news from today.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/07/business...html?hpt=hp_bn1
I suppose it could replace Steve Jobs' news.

kk, you want a reasonable explanation. Got it.

Steve Jobs ran Apple since its birth up until just a little while ago. In this forum, though the section isn't as big as the video game related sections, iPods and iTouch's and iDevices in general are a fairly popular point of discussion. What you linked to, has absolutely zero relevance anywhere within the forum, nor would anybody care. The death of Steve Jobs is the loss of an innovator in a company that many have involved themselves with, even if just through a purchase. When a man such as him dies that influenced one of the core industries the site bases its discussions around, it is only proper to give a mention. You can see through the amount of replies related to this, that the news was big enough to generate a healthy amount of interest within the community as a topic of discussion that everybody can participate in.

As for the picture, that was explained. Pictures accompany news articles. That picture of him dead comment makes you seem like the disrespectful prick that you are doing an excellent job making yourself out to be.

Now, I'm sure you'll contest this, call it not good enough, etc. Honestly, don't give a shit. I doubt you'll be seeing much better. So roll with it, quit bitching and being off topic with said bitching, and roll with the discussion at hand.

Shinji_PG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Shinji_PG said:
So why don't we have a picture of him dead? That would better relate to the news, I think.That's considered offensive in most parts of the world.

Yes but if I see Steve Jobs holding an iPhone I'll think the news is about the new iPhone and not about his death. There could be a 1955-2011 written somewhere in the picture.

Rydian said:
Shinji_PG said:
EDIT: Btw, here's an interesting piece of news from today.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/07/business...html?hpt=hp_bn1
I suppose it could replace Steve Jobs' news.A main focus of this site is hacking/tweaking game systems and handhelds. Apple makes many high-selling handhelds, in fact there's an entire section for their devices here.

As for your suggestion, economics are not a main focus of this site.

However, the main page only lists scene releases from Nintendo software. And since I don't use the forums much, I didn't know people talked much about Apple in here. I used to think this website was pretty Nintendo-centered. My bad.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Oct 7 2011, 10:12 AM)
Go away, troll.

Even tho you'd like that to be the case, I am not trolling. Internet people tend to think that a person in disagreement is always a troll. While I don't blame you for that, there's nothing I can do to prove you're wrong.

QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Oct 7 2011, 10:13 AM)
What you linked to, has absolutely zero relevance anywhere within the forum, nor would anybody care.

It's on CNN, so someone must care, I think. It's also an internet related piece of news, so I don't think it's far-fetched to be on GBATemp.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Shinji_PG said:
Nathan Drake said:
What you linked to, has absolutely zero relevance anywhere within the forum, nor would anybody care.

It's on CNN, so someone must care, I think. It's also an internet related piece of news, so I don't think it's far-fetched to be on GBATemp.

That is like saying that if it's food, somebody must like it, so it should have a place in every grocery store. There's a place for everything. It being a news article on CNN is not reason enough for it to be front page news. This is not a world news site.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Shinji_PG said:
However, the main page only lists scene releases from Nintendo software.There's multiple categories of news, and by default what's on top is "scene" and gaming/gbatemp news, not ROM dumps (which are at the bottom).

QUOTE(Rydian @ Oct 7 2011, 10:12 AM) Even tho you'd like that to be the case, I am not trolling. Internet people tend to think that a person in disagreement is always a troll. While I don't blame you for that, there's nothing I can do to prove you're wrong.
You're looking for something to argue about, and when a question you ask is answered you pretend it wasn't.

Thus I think you're a troll since you're trying your best to still have a reason to complain.

Shinji_PG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
Shinji_PG said:
Nathan Drake said:

That is like saying that if it's food, somebody must like it, so it should have a place in every grocery store. There's a place for everything. It being a news article on CNN is not reason enough for it to be front page news. This is not a world news site.

Here are videogame related news that could be on the main page:

Nicalis To Release Gravity Platformer VVVVVV On The Nintendo eShop For 3DS
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/06/nical...-eshop-for-3ds/

Mario Kart 7 Has A Tanooki Power-up As Well
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/06/mario...wer-up-as-well/

Next Nintendo 3DS Color Is Cool As Ice
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/06/next-...is-cool-as-ice/
This one seems specially worth it, as it deals with a new color of the 3DS hardware.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Shinji_PG said:
Nathan Drake said:
Shinji_PG said:
Nathan Drake said:

This one seems specially worth it, as it deals with a new color of the 3DS hardware.
imo, those aren't as big as job's death.

Shinji_PG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narayan said:

So at first the problem was that there seemed to be no new news to publish.
Now the problem is that none are as big as Steve Job's death.
I wonder what would be bigger?

QUOTE(prowler_ @ Oct 7 2011, 10:34 AM) Though you're complaining to the wrong guys, go cry to the Mag Staff.

Ok, you're right.
Well, hopefully someone from the Magazine Staff will read this. It's up to them to change it.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Shinji_PG said:
Narayan said:

So at first the problem was that there seemed to be no new news to publish.
Now the problem is that none are as big as Steve Job's death.
I wonder what would be bigger?
that was rydian, and it's me saying IMO that isn't as big as Steve's death.

anyways, do you expect this site to do exactly what you want? are you the site's boss?
you're also the only one complaining AFAIK.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Shinji_PG said:
Nathan Drake said:
Shinji_PG said:
Nathan Drake said:

You do know that those have been posted here on USN already?

VVVVVV.

Tanooki Power.

Ice White 3DS.

Not that it really matters, but just thought it should be pointed out. Also if you don't like the idea of people talking about Steve Jobs' death, it is indeed something you can say out loud. But considering that others shouldn't talk about it, since it may annoy you, is not what could be considered considerate.

Also news happens all the time and what someone may consider news, another may not. Thus not everyone can be pleased.

-Qtis

Shinji_PG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Qtis said:
Also if you don't like the idea of people talking about Steve Jobs' death, it is indeed something you can say out loud. But considering that others shouldn't talk about it, since it may annoy you, is not what could be considered considerate.

Also news happens all the time and what someone may consider news, another may not. Thus not everyone can be pleased.

I never said I didn't like the idea of people talking about Steve Jobs death. I certainly get annoyed when a particular matter is being intesily divulged over places I frequent daily for years, like facebook or other news-sites (as you can see by my join date on GBATemp, I come here since 2005). I know he's dead, don't need to read it over and over again. But I'm all for people talking about whatever they want.

But one thing is to talk about it here in the forums, while another thing, like I said, is posting a big picture regarding a news item which is being discussed in the forums (which is already 2 days old). Like you mentioned, there are news which are discussed in the forums and don't get to the main page. Well, I'd certainly prefer to see a big image of the Ice White 3DS when I opened GBATemp this morning, but that is not the case. Nor should it be because of one user's request.

That said, all I presented were arguments about why I'm confused as to why the main page should have Steve Jobs's picture.

- This is not a Apple centered website, afaik.
- The news item is 2 days old.
- Other things have happened since then.
- If anything, there should be a 1955-2011 written in the picture.

Other than that, I can only add frustration for being flooded with pictures of Steve Jobs on every website I visit, since his death, but that can be categorized as irrelevant.

But I think this issue has been discussed sufficiently, I just want my point to be understood correctly and not as some act of trolling. This is a community driven website, afaik, so this is my opinion to the community.

PS: Someone mentioned how this topic has had a lot of participation, while I see topics like the White Ice 3DS only with 5 pages of activity. Just to point out that one of those topics is on the mainpage with lots of visibility and the other isn't. May be related.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
If you feel you have a legitimate complaint or suggestion about the content of the site, please take that suggestion to the appropriate forum. Making the suggestion in the thread itself, and then justifying your reasoning, again, within the thread that is bothering you, is likely to be seen as trolling, and is a very inefficient way of airing your complaint or suggestion.

Site Suggestions

Thank you.

nitrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
310116_284951738190539_178136118872102_1201181_188247606_n.jpg

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure he laid down a path for his crew before he resigned. So, I don't think that they will be affected by this for a while. But looking at my iPod Touch, I have a feeling that Apple will never truly be the same.

RIP Mr. Jobs, We will miss you.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
jonesman99 said:
But looking at my iPod Touch, I have a feeling that Apple will never truly be the same.

And this bad how? Apple changing their/Jobs hellish ways can only be for the better.

you mean be more relaxed about the quality of their products?
maybe switch to cheap plastics to make products more affordable?
maybe expand their line of products into kitchenware, car parts etc like every other company?
maybe pile on function after function with no thought of how it affects user interface just because the public wants a built in radio?
allow os x on third party hardware and dilute the apple quality?
build a physical keyboard into the ipad and call it the ikeypad?
make the iphone into a flip phone?
get rid of iOS and just switch to android?

i worked on apple store designs. got fired twice and rehired again. yes it's hellish, but it's quality and i wouldn't of gone back to work if the outcome wasn't something as good. any other company wouldn't of fired me, but thn they would of had a crap product - remember the Gateway stores with the cow graphics? - yeah, something like that. quality is a bitch to achieve.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
BortzANATOR said:
impizkit said:
I dont know if this has already been said, but there have been 3 apples that changed the world. The one Adam and Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the half eaten one that Steve Jobs gave to the world. I am not an Apple guy, but what Steve Jobs did for the industry will not be matched.
where is the like button?
well, steve jobs doesn't own facebook.
Lol no. For your comment

D

Deleted_171835

impizkit said:
I dont know if this has already been said, but there have been 3 apples that changed the world. The one Adam and Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the half eaten one that Steve Jobs gave to the world. I am not an Apple guy, but what Steve Jobs did for the industry will not be matched.
In regards to the Adam and Eve story, it wasn't necessarily an apple. Until the 17th century, the word 'apple' represented all fruits (except for berries).

And yes I've seen this being said pretty much everywhere around the internet.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes a great man in America have passed away, we can only hope that this generation remembers how our lives will be without the ipod, ipad, and iphone. We won't have dual-core smartphones that's for sure nor any smartphones if the iphone didn't come out. He was like the leader and all the other companies followed him like haters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto