Steve Jobs Dies

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He died too soon. I just wonder how things will go at Apple now, with Jobs gone. Not only are the fanboys sad, but I'm not necessarily happy either.

BlueStar said:
Wintrale said:
BlueStar said:
Always found his total lack of philanthopy cast him in a rather bad light compared to Gates and was rather odd, considering Apple's groovy hippie image.

Philanthropy is just how rich snobs make themselves look good by pretending they actually care about humanitarian causes. They show up, smile for the cameras, sign a check for an insignificant amount of money and walk away with the real prize - free publicity. If anything, at least Jobs wasn't lying to himself and focused on what he thought was most important.
It can be, but Gates has used his money to make a huge and very real difference to the world and many, many people in it.
All of the libraries in my area have computers that were donated to us by Microsoft, and they are replaced every 3-4 years or so.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iFish said:
Varia said:
Sounds like some cheesy apple conspiracy. First he gets fired (being forced to resign), then they release the iPhone 4GS and then they kill him off to completely shut him up.

He was a great man though, may he rest in peace.
He stepped down. And was still chairman of the board.
Before that, he was on medical leave.

Get your facts straight
iFish, why are you so up in arms about this? You seem very...tense, I didn't think you respected him that much.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Guild McCommunist said:
BlueStar said:
Always found his total lack of philanthopy cast him in a rather bad light compared to Gates and was rather odd, considering Apple's groovy hippie image.

He could've left a bunch of stuff in his will, who knows.
But he died so young...I don't know if he had a chance.

Considering how long he has had this cancer, and how he retired months ago, he knew this was coming.

Seeing what he leaves behind in his will will be very interesting. I imagine a lot of it will go towards cancer research, but that's just my bet.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
iFish said:
Varia said:
Sounds like some cheesy apple conspiracy. First he gets fired (being forced to resign), then they release the iPhone 4GS and then they kill him off to completely shut him up.

He was a great man though, may he rest in peace.
He stepped down. And was still chairman of the board.
Before that, he was on medical leave.

Get your facts straight
iFish, why are you so up in arms about this? You seem very...tense, I didn't think you respected him that much.
He always is when it comes to something about Apple. However, this may be a different story. He was the man who made the products that he had loved so much, and now he's gone.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gahars said:
machomuu said:
Guild McCommunist said:
BlueStar said:

He could've left a bunch of stuff in his will, who knows.
But he died so young...I don't know if he had a chance.

Considering how long he has had this cancer, and how he retired months ago, he knew this was coming.

Seeing what he leaves behind in his will will be very interesting. I imagine a lot of it will go towards cancer research, but that's just my bet.
That's true, and I did take that into account, but it's possible (albeit unlikely) that he hadn't yet.

It's pretty unlikely, though.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
iFishers gonna iFish. I'd probably react similarly if one of my idols passed away. Regardless, the important thing now is to remember and thank Steve for such great things he could bring to millions of people the best way he could!
biggrin.gif

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ace™ said:
Regardless, the important thing now is to remember and thank Steve for such great things he could bring to millions of people the best way he could!
biggrin.gif
Irrespective of the fact that he did it for SHITLOADS of money for the stockholders, and not out of any altruistic love for mankind ?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SmuffTheMagicDragon said:
Ace™ said:
Regardless, the important thing now is to remember and thank Steve for such great things he could bring to millions of people the best way he could!
biggrin.gif
Irrespective of the fact that he did it for SHITLOADS of money for the stockholders, and not out of any altruistic love for mankind ?
Well maybe so, but I'm quite happy with my PC thanks to him, I couldn't care less about his reasoning.

Ace

Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Ace™ said:
biggrin.gif
And you're saying money doesn't make stockholders happy?
wink.gif

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Ace™ said:
biggrin.gif
maybe his goal wasn't that good, but still the outcome was.
it's mutual benefit. they get money, we get something nice. fair trade.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
Ace™ said:
biggrin.gif
maybe his goal wasn't that good, but still the outcome was.
it's mutual benefit. they get money, we get something nice. fair trade.
Exactly my point.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
He's not the messiah guys.......
Don't make out that making a handful of stockholders rich beyond the dreams of avarice is on a par with eliminating world hunger or poverty..........

Ace

Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Don't make out that making a handful of stockholders rich beyond the dreams of avarice is on a par with eliminating world hunger or poverty..........

Obviously not, but like Narayan said, it made both parties (consumer and producer) happy: what else matters?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Messiah or not, he may have ideals that we may not agree with, but we got a crapload of goodies in exchange, even when you bar the mobile "i" devices.

I'm not the biggest fan of Steve, and I don't like Apple, but I won't deny what he did.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
not messiah but admit it. he did something worth acknowledging. and we're not talking about him solving poverty. it's some of the technology we have now.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I was hoping he would stay a little longer ... Apple's launch conferences will never be as exciting...
A great man and truly changed the world of computers, laptops, mobiles... his influence was and is immense.

Thanks Steve where ever you are now.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Before I write anything else, I'd just like to point out that I'm not exactly a fan of Apple.

Up until very recently I'd always regarded Steve Jobs as if he was a supervillain of the technology scene, primarily because you know - head of Apple, who haven't been very open in recent years. But then I started actually reading up on him, alongside many other things that I had misconceptions about - and oh man was I wrong. Frankly, the man was a business genius, he built Apple from a generic Technology company that was very prone to failure, to the biggest company in the world (just before quitting, I might add). He substituted the vast majority of his wages for shares in Apple, which was a rather clever move as it allowed him to build the wealth of Apple as well as himself. But I digress, the really impressive aspects of his career are also ironically what I am known for disliking the most; the "iRevolution". Sure, it's unlikely he did all the creative work, but from a Marketing/PR standpoint everything he had said and done was very cleverly/carefully planned - right down to the repetition of certain words (for instance: "Gorgeous"). His manifesto consisted of killing innovation .....with more innovation (hear me out please): One of the stereotypical views of the future is a very white glossy place where complex tasks are very simple. Breaking the mold of boring samey black hardware, and replacing it with much sleeker hardware with user-friendliness obviously in mind. I will forever criticize the OS's (well, iOS and OSX - I was actually a fan of Mac OS up until 8, as well as whatever it was that the iPods (in particular the Video) used to run) because in my mind they are TOO userfriendly, to the point where they actually stifle innovation - however that's another story for another day. I'm rambling.

Returning to the subject at hand, Steve Jobs was a great man who has inspired many people and who has left a permanent mark in the Tech industry (and consequently, history). Whether or not you like Apple as a consumer, it is impossible to deny that as a company they have made huge gains by exploiting what was there all along - and this is all thanks to the vision of Steve Jobs. And for that, he deserves a lot more than most give him credit for.

Kudos, indeed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: