Suicide of Near, bsnes and higan developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Or, people could just not cause any more division than there already is. Time to stop with the labels, 1,001 genders, special flags, etc. etc. etc. How about just being a human? I know this will upset some people but... shrug. If the suicide is true, it's a very horrible and sad thing. However, I don't feel there was even reason for your post. No one here was disrespectfully calling them he, she, or anything else.
a person just died and more worried about invalidating their identity? what the actual fuck is wrong with you, grow up.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
i will be honest here after reading the entire thing, the thread where we was harassed was dead for months and no one commented or even cared for it in ages, and out of nowhere he decides that its being harmful? i mean it was dead so by bringing it up, he was just putting more focus on a forgotten thread imo.

im guessing he was extremely depressed and just turned out like this in the end, its sad and the all confinement stuff doesnt help depressed people at all since human interaction is vastly reduced.
Here we go again... So, because that specific thread hasn't seen any action, that means nothing else happened? Or what...? Not to mention the fact that it's just ONE of many things that were apparently going on. Why are people so fixated on that thread and not the targeted harassment?

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Here we go again... So, because that specific thread hasn't seen any action, that means nothing else happened? Or what...? Not to mention the fact that it's just ONE of many things that were apparently going on. Why are people so fixated on that thread and not the targeted harassment?

what targeted harassment?? Near specifically mentioned that thread as the source of his discomfort/mortification, read the conversation he had 1 day before with the site owner

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
what targeted harassment?? Near specifically mentioned that thread as the source of his discomfort/mortification, read the conversation he had 1 day before with the site owner
I've already addressed the chain of emails. There's a lot more going on than just that one link.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Passing it off as just that thread has been a dismissive tactic by Kiwi and deliberately ignores the harassment and and stalking that happened outside of Kiwi. The thread was the source of problem for their life because of harassment toward both themself and their loved ones that came out of the thread. The deliberate misinformation is pretending members of Kiwifarms just kept to the forums and nothing else. Members of Kiwifarms never just stick to a thread, they actively go out of their way to ruin lives.

Luz Noceda

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Damn Thats pretty fucked up.....
R.I.P Buddy
This gone too far.
I got tears all over my face cuz Near was the one that brought me into emulation :'(
May you rest well up there
We never will never forgot you and all the work you did in terms of emulation a like.

Reactions: Henx

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
if something is illegal you report it to the authorities and let them solve the issue, paying to delete the thread or anything he was implying on doing, just seems it would be counter productive if there was an investigation going on.

Seems to me it was just trying to make stuff be worst for him by poking the hornets nest imo.

Passing it off as just that thread has been a dismissive tactic by Kiwi and deliberately ignores the harassment and and stalking that happened outside of Kiwi. The thread was the source of problem for their life because of harassment toward both themself and their loved ones that came out of the thread. The deliberate misinformation is pretending members of Kiwifarms just kept to the forums and nothing else. Members of Kiwifarms never just stick to a thread, they actively go out of their way to ruin lives.
each person is responsible for their own actions, you cant charge a website for one user that is registered there that has another account on another social media website and did something there, law just doesn't work that way.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The site is based in the US, I literally just looked it up. The owner of the site lives in Florida, you can literally find all of his public information with a simple Google search. I am honestly shocked that he’s even allowed to be online considering there’s plenty of evidence of him being a pedophile. Point being, his site falls under US laws. The whole “the site isn’t encouraging people to harass people” argument is about as crap as saying “megauploads wasn’t encouraging piracy.” The site is literally dedicated to finding information on people and posting them publicly for ridicule. There’s also plenty of forums that are made to encourage the harassment of people, those can be found through a simple search. The site actively encourages the exploitation of people and it literally promotes itself on that principle. It’s so very clearly a site made to harass people that I am actually impressed by the mental gymnastics people go through to claim it’s not.
If it is based in the US, as in the owner lives and operates from there, that's an issue because the US Supreme Court rules that having laws forbidding hate speech is unconstitutional and would violate US first amendment rights.

The issue of whether or not the site actually incites hatred or violence against certain individuals is what determines whether or not the website violates any laws, and if it doesn't there's not much that can be done about it. If it's hosted in the US and the owner lives there then I guess it's a moot point. The only real chance the site has of getting shut down is if it's breaking laws, which it might not be due to the aforementioned US Supreme Court rulings on hate speech laws being unconstitutional.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
each person is responsible for their own actions, you cant charge a website for one user that is registered there that has another account on another social media website and did something there, law just doesn't work that way.
In the united states if section 230 is repealed, it WOULD work that way. Both donald trump and joe biden want to do it.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/06/changing-section-230-wont-make-internet-kinder-gentler-place

Section 230 stands for the simple idea that you’re responsible for your own speech online—not the speech of others. It also makes clear that online operators, from the biggest platforms to the smallest niche websites, have the right to curate the speech that appears on their site.

Users dedicated to spreading lies or hateful content are a tiny minority, but weakening Section 230 will make their job easier. When content moderation doesn’t go their way—and it usually doesn’t—they’re willing to sue. As the cases below show, Section 230 is rightfully used to quickly dismiss their lawsuits. If lawmakers weaken Section 230, these meritless suits will linger in court, costing online services more and making them leery of moderating the speech of known litigious users. That could make it easier for these users to spread lies online.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if something is illegal you report it to the authorities and let them solve the issue, paying to delete the thread or anything he was implying on doing, just seems it would be counter productive if there was an investigation going on.

Seems to me it was just trying to make stuff be worst for him by poking the hornets nest imo.

If it is based in the US, as in the owner lives and operates from there, that's an issue because the US Supreme Court rules that having laws forbidding hate speech is unconstitutional and would violate US first amendment rights.

The issue of whether or not the site actually incites hatred or violence against certain individuals is what determines whether or not the website violates any laws, and if it doesn't there's not much that can be done about it. If it's hosted in the US and the owner lives there then I guess it's a moot point. The only real chance the site has of getting shut down is if it's breaking laws, which it might not be due to the aforementioned US Supreme Court rulings on hate speech laws being unconstitutional.
I am not talking about legal shit here, I am talking about people dismissing Near’s death because “it was just a thread,” argument. People are literally saying that they took their own life over just a thread when that wasn’t the case. The thread was just an epicenter of the problem, it then spiraled into the real world harassment they and their loved ones faced as a result of that thread.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a person just died and more worried about invalidating their identity? what the actual fuck is wrong with you, grow up.

What the actual FUCK is wrong with YOU? Massive reading comprehension issues? I wasn't the one who made the point to stick gender politics into a suicide news thread. The purpose of my post was to try to keep that bullshit out of the fact that someone just died. So yeah, what the FUCK is wrong with YOU? Grow up and go back to fucking school.

Reactions: DbGt

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Pluupy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The site is based in the US, I literally just looked it up. The owner of the site lives in Florida, you can literally find all of his public information with a simple Google search. I am honestly shocked that he’s even allowed to be online considering there’s plenty of evidence of him being a pedophile. Point being, his site falls under US laws. The whole “the site isn’t encouraging people to harass people” argument is about as crap as saying “megauploads wasn’t encouraging piracy.” The site is literally dedicated to finding information on people and posting them publicly for ridicule. There’s also plenty of forums that are made to encourage the harassment of people, those can be found through a simple search. The site actively encourages the exploitation of people and it literally promotes itself on that principle. It’s so very clearly a site made to harass people that I am actually impressed by the mental gymnastics people go through to claim it’s not.
I just did the same as you out of curiosity. You are right that his information seems to be out in the open. It looks like a BB forum just like gbatemp. The thing you have wrong however is that I looked at the rules of the website. It says it is against the rules to harass the people they talk about there. They say mean things about people, but they dont actually do anything about them. They treat people like reality tv. I dont know if that's any better, but you are wrong in saying they are actively harassing people. The site does not promote itself at all. The site isnt exploiting anyone for anything but weird sick entertainment. They're like people who look at car accidents on the highway. I would never have heard of it if not for this thing with Byuu.

I understand you may be upset about what happened with Byuu or with what people seem to be saying on that forum, but you are spreading lies and I cannot forgive that even in an emotional event such as this. You invite lawyers and lawsuits.

Pluupy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am psychopath for saying he clearly had other issues?? what? you definitely dont know what a psychopath is, please dont use words you dont understand.

No sane, healthy person would commit suicide over online harassment, and after having now more background, reading the emails he exchanged with the owner of that site, and reading the supposed thread that made him commit suicide -which btw hadnt been commented in months, and was mostly about stupid online drama- its more than clear he had several issues that he had been carrying for a long time. Suicide is multifactorial, pointing a finger and saying X or Y is guilty its easy, but thats not how suicide works
Meteo thinks anyone who isnt of one mind is a psychopath ignore him.

This is disgusting because Darth Meteos is one of those users who harassed Rajkosto during early Switch hacking years. Meteos and his buddies made fun of Rajkosto and it wasnt until Rei acknowledged that he actually respected Rajkosto did it all tone down. He is just as guilty as Kiwifarms people in harassing others online. Gbatemp does not do enough to stop harassment and often they only allow one side of the story because it fits their narrative. They treated Rei like he was a villain during the Reinand/AuReiNand thing too! Gbatemp does not care! I dont care if I get banned for saying this. You people make me sick!

Byuu had many issues going on and it is disrespectful to Byuu to just discount all of his problems because of any harassment. People are not so weak and simple to commit suicide over a petty online forum.

Everyone handle death differently and I think it is wrong to prosecute people who arent reacting the same as others.

Last edited by Pluupy,
Reactions: D34DL1N3R and DbGt

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just did the same as you out of curiosity. You are right that his information seems to be out in the open. It looks like a BB forum just like gbatemp. The thing you have wrong however is that I looked at the rules of the website. It says it is against the rules to harass the people they talk about there. They say mean things about people, but they dont actually do anything about them. They treat people like reality tv. I dont know if that's any better, but you are wrong in saying they are actively harassing people. The site does not promote itself at all. The site isnt exploiting anyone for anything but weird sick entertainment. They're like people who look at car accidents on the highway. I would never have heard of it if not for this thing with Byuu.

I understand you may be upset about what happened with Byuu or with what people seem to be saying on that forum, but you are spreading lies and I cannot forgive that even in an emotional event such as this. You invite lawyers and lawsuits.
It is true that they aren’t directly telling people to harass others but they give everything to harass someone and encourage people by literally posting it for “entertainment.” Also, they literally promoted themselves as exploiting people for entertainment on their original Twitter.
D868E0CB-A607-4BC3-A385-F01E0755D724.png

Last edited by The Catboy,

LunarRXA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one can speak for Near, but if I were in their situation, the last thing I would want is people doing is going full CSI into all my bad thoughts, memories and experiences. It's not our job to become internet-detectives and piece together their suicide or cobble together petty judgements about who they were as a person; what should be praised or admonished. The bottom line is that a person who loves games is gone. I know that we all have a desire to understand, but the absolute best way to understand their best qualities is to play games on BSNES in honor of and respect for their memory. Let them rest in peace with the satisfaction and joy that the games they loved will be played for years to come on the excellent, generous and polished platform they created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer