Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Nov 1 - Roundup

Nintendo is getting right to the meat of things with its upcoming Super Smash Bros, as they've scheduled a 40-minute Direct focused on new information about the game. The remaining roster additions will be revealed here, as well as other game mode details. So let's see what we're in for.

Immediately, Street Fighter's Ken is shown as an Echo Fighter, and Pokemon's Incineroar are joining the fight. Incineroar's attacks focus on a lot of wrestling type moves. This brings the roster up to 74, with no further characters for the base game.

Before unlocking any characters in the game, players will start with seven to choose from, and will end up with 74 once they're finished recruiting every addition.

Just like with the previous Smash Bros. game, amiibo figures are being made for every fighter, with Young Link, Ken, Daisy, Ice Climbers, and more showing off what they'll look like.

The Spirits Mode was also shown, which entails certain differently powdered characters from Nintendo history giving fighters extra abilities, sort of like Super Smash Bros. Brawl's stickers, taken to a new level. An example of fighting against these is Fire Emblem's Owain being shown as a Spirit, which gives increased power to melee weapons, but also makes the enemy taunt a lot, like the character's personality. Or, with Mega Man's Guts Man, who will power up the enemy to not flinch easily, and use more grabs and throws than usual.

Additionally, these "spirits" will also be used to power up your added amiibo fighters.

This mode takes the place of previous Smash games offering tons of trophies from the represented Nintendo franchises.

The online mode will try to prioritize finding opponents that are nearby, and Nintendo recommends buying an Ethernet adapter for the Switch to get more stable connections.

You'll be able to specify certain rulesets for rooms online for matches. The Nintendo Online phone app will allow for voice chat, and a new app called Smash World will launch sometime after the game, which will focus on players sharing fun gameplay moments.

Spring Man from Arms, Tiki from Fire Emblem, Vince from Art Academy, Shadow the Hedgehog from Sonic, Akira from Virtual Fighter, and Street Fighter's Guile are all shown as assist trophies. This time, you can knock assist trophies off the map, giving you a chance to avoid getting hit by their attacks.

The Mii Fighter gets some brand new outfits to use, too, with a Splatoon set, an Arms set, a Chibi Robo costume, a Toy-Con set, and a Ray MkIII one all shown.

DLC has been confirmed for the game that will be out post launch. None of these will be Echo Fighters. Each piece of DLC will come with a song, character, and stage for $5.99. A season pass will be available called a Fighters Pass, which will offer all five of the scheduled DLC characters once they become available. All the characters won't be known yet, but the pass is $24.99.

The first of the DLC roster additions is the Piranha Plant, who will be free shortly after launch. The other five will follow by next year.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean if you want to buy the same exact game with a couple more stages and 5 new characters sure go ahead. But you are basically buying the same same with some dlc stuff added in. Plus you still need to pay for those new dlc fighters that will be echo fighters again.
My guy, I get it, you're angry. I'm pissed too. But you have to see, it doesn't matter that this game is or isn't a port of Trash 4. It's a Smash game on the Switch. It's a piece of ****, but it's a smash game on the switch. I'm not mad that there is only a few new stages or a few new characters. I'm mad that the only thing that separates this game from Smash 4 IS those characters. Gameplay in my opinion is not a major improvement. Call me a Melee fanboy but looking at Melee's long life span has to make people think why it's still being played almost 20 years later. Character count should not matter in these games, it's whethor or not the game plays well. If you like Tr4sh gameplay, then get excited that you can get that on the go. Also keep in mind that if these characters were DLC for 4, then you would be paying about the same amount of money. Instead of that. You get these characters and the game on the Switch.

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
pretty sure on all fighting games characters are basically the content and while we got alot , most of their work was already done on smash4, so its not like they actually did much dev time on those, they just ported over most of the characters.

And in all fighting game series the characters are mostly the same ones in every game, and not even half of what smah ultimate has. Minus all the extra content and modes

Reactions: KingVamp

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
And in all fighting game series the characters are mostly the same ones in every game, and not even half of what smah ultimate has. Minus all the extra content and modes
problem is since we already have that many characters we were hopping for a more robust experience, and i guess spirits and the "adventure" mode(spirits on a board basically) are the only things that makes this different over smash4.

also they took away things people liked like trophy's, i always loved seeing them and the story of each one, now we get a sticker with an ability and that's it.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My guy, I get it, you're angry. I'm pissed too. But you have to see, it doesn't matter that this game is or isn't a port of Trash 4. It's a Smash game on the Switch. It's a piece of ****, but it's a smash game on the switch. I'm not mad that there is only a few new stages or a few new characters. I'm mad that the only thing that separates this game from Smash 4 IS those characters. Gameplay in my opinion is not a major improvement. Call me a Melee fanboy but looking at Melee's long life span has to make people think why it's still being played almost 20 years later. Character count should not matter in these games, it's whethor or not the game plays well. If you like Tr4sh gameplay, then get excited that you can get that on the go. Also keep in mind that if these characters were DLC for 4, then you would be paying about the same amount of money. Instead of that. You get these characters and the game on the Switch.
It just sucks that I really really looked forward to this but all I got was disappointment. Not like I put my hopes up too high but man this isnt what I expected. Im not saying nobody is allowed to enjoy it just because I think its a pretty big disappointment. Its Good if you think you'll enjoy it. Im not trying to ruin it for anybody.

Last edited by Justinde75,

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
problem is since we already have that many characters we were hopping for a more robust experience, and i guess spirits and the "adventure" mode(spirits on a board basically) are the only things that makes this different over smash4.

also they took away things people liked like trophy's, i always loved seeing them and the story of each one, now we get a sticker with an ability and that's it.

So you and some others are complaining that theres "not enough new content", and saying this is a copy of smash 4, but at the same time saying you wanted again the same trophies (which have been around since meele).... Man people are hard to satisfy :rofl:

You got new content = "not enough, same game as 4, i want new content"

Got old content removed (for new one) = "I want it again, why they removed it?"

:unsure:

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'mma post here what my thoughts from a discord server I'm in:

Incineroar is cool, also 'cus it was the pokemon I used in my moon playthrought, but kinda don't care much anyway
a piranha plant on the other hand...
what
why
how
Sakurai is going senile
of all the effing things a goddamn piranha plant
kinda looks fun to play, but give it some personality, dunno, make it look unique rather than a generic one
also, lookie lookie, day 1 dlc
Nintendo is slowly becoming like ubisoft or EA
fuck them

Reactions: FateForWindows

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want that Dasiy Amiibo :(

That was cool. I think a lot of people got caught up in rumors and odd expectations. 100+ stages (with 3 variations each), 70+ fighters, 500+ music tracks, 100+ items, better online play, better lobby, general quality of life improvements - there's really not much more I could ask for.

Outside of Raichu damnit :( .

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Incineroar is cool, also 'cus it was the pokemon I used in my moon playthrought, but kinda don't care much anyway
what
why
how
Sakurai is going senile
kinda looks fun to play, but give it some personality, dunno, make it look unique rather than a generic one
fuck them

Rather that than lame-ass Waluigi

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

what
why
how
Sakurai is going senile
fuck them
Wat
Piranha Plant is free until 2019.

Reactions: Mylink5

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just sucks that I really really looked forward to this but all I got was disappointment. Not like I put my hopes up too high but man this isnt what I expected. Im not saying nobody is allowed to enjoy it just because I think its a pretty big disappointment. Its Good if you think you'll enjoy it. Im not trying to ruin it for anybody.
Oh trust me, I'm not going to enjoy this Dumpster fire of a game one bit. I can't get over the gameplay. I'll play it just to see how bad Ganon sucks then go back to PM, something I consider a better game overall.

Reactions: DuoForce

Rabbid4240

i dont know
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EVERYONE
IS
fucking dead.
Mega Man, Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Mr. G&W, Luigi (dosent count, yall know why), Ness, Lucas, Toon Link, Plant Boi, Ryu, Ken, Incineroar, Jigglypuff, Ridley, Donkey Kong, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, King. K Rool, Isabelle, Whoever the DLC is, Wario, Dr. Mario, Lucina, Roy, Bowser Jr, Little Mac(no wait kens reveal trailer), Mii Fighters, Ice Climbers, Young Link, ROB, Pichu, Chrom, Robin, Pac-Man, and The Grinch.

Last edited by Rabbid4240,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have to admit I expected autistic screeching after seeing the word DLC, but I didn't expect quite this much.

The game features 72 characters, and an absolute mountain of other content. But apparently the second a company expresses that it'll be continuing to support a game post-launch, retards come out in droves to screech that content was removed. I'm sure if it was, they would have a more solid amount of info to give to people. Instead the only non-launch character they announced is Piranha Plant, who will apparently be FREE.
People should probably get their heads out of their asses and stop screeching like howler monkeys just because they heard other howler monkeys screeching.

Anyway that was an absurdly hype Direct. The sheer amount of content and work that has gone into this game is nuts. The modes look awesome, and the roster is just insane. Spirits are a very, very cool idea and it's nice to see dev time not wasted on useless trophies almost no one paid attention to.

Really lets just sit back and realize what a trophy was. Every single trophy was a 3D model, most with a ton of depth. The amount of work that went into a single useless collectible was completely pointless. Making spirits simpler and giving them a purpose is such a better trade off, and it means they could potentially add even more extremely easily.

Piranha Plant for president. Best character.

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool and all, but not a single bone was thrown to golden sun ... was it really that hard to make Isaac or Felix playable :unsure:

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to admit I expected autistic screeching after seeing the word DLC, but I didn't expect quite this much.

The game features 72 characters, and an absolute mountain of other content. But apparently the second a company expresses that it'll be continuing to support a game post-launch, retards come out in droves to screech that content was removed. I'm sure if it was, they would have a more solid amount of info to give to people. Instead the only non-launch character they announced is Piranha Plant, who will apparently be FREE.
People should probably get their heads out of their asses and stop screeching like howler monkeys just because they heard other howler monkeys screeching.

Anyway that was an absurdly hype Direct. The sheer amount of content and work that has gone into this game is nuts. The modes look awesome, and the roster is just insane. Spirits are a very, very cool idea and it's nice to see dev time not wasted on useless trophies almost no one paid attention to.

Really lets just sit back and realize what a trophy was. Every single trophy was a 3D model, most with a ton of depth. The amount of work that went into a single useless collectible was completely pointless. Making spirits simpler and giving them a purpose is such a better trade off, and it means they could potentially add even more extremely easily.

Piranha Plant for president. Best character.

I wonder what people expected, did they expect it to be a port of 4 or what? People who are upset over this really need to stop having such unreasonable expectations.

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what people expected, did they expect it to be a port of 4 or what? People who are upset over this really need to stop having such unreasonable expectations.
I thought the people in this thread made it clear.
They expected more NEW characters.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
To be honest, I think even another echo character would have been better than Piranha Plant.
That's what got everyone's gears going xD

Me?
I'm just enjoying how Nintendo doesn't give a shit about what people suggest, as they always do. XD
I couldn't care less about this franchise, to me it died with Brawl, but it's nice to taste the tears of disappointment of everyone with each Direct :D

Rabbid4240

i dont know
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, this spirits thing sucks whale cock. I wanna play some goddamn smash bros, Not power up my stats and level up. I wanna feel like I'm in a fighting game, not an rpg. It's just so complicated and pointless. No one wanted this at all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a theory, remember when the hands took out that mario toy in the n64 game? It was kinda like a child. Well, now that there are a billion hands, it's like the kid grew up and threw a party. Now all his friends are gonna make the toys kill each other.

Reactions: DuoForce

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever you say. I stated my reasons for not like Melee or Brawl, how much more detail do I have to explain as to why I'm not a fan?

I don't know who's saltier, the people disappointed in the Direct, or those calling me out? Just back off already and leave me be.
Dont bother with these guys, people will go to hell and back to shit on smash 4. This is the first time I've seen people say brawl is more complete than melee and 4 though lol. Brawl just feels bad to play, even when I was a kid.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D