• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 10,252
  • Replies 0
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
This is a list of Switch games which contain furigana. It is useful for Japanese learners who aren't ready to tackle kanji yet. Check the game's eShop page to see whether the western release includes a Japanese language option. This only applies to games which have already been released *. If you want to add a game to the list or correct a mistake, you are welcome to leave a comment and I will edit my post and credit you. Preferably, include proof in the form a few screenshots or a YouTube video. Screenshots and videos in this thread may contain spoilers. I take no responsibility for this list's accuracy; if you buy a game mentioned here and discover its position on this list is inaccurate, I will not refund you.

If you play a text-heavy game which is too far above your level, you'll probably just wear yourself out. Constantly looking up words in the dictionary when you want to play is distracting and annoying. Play games for the fun of it and to revise the Japanese you already know. If you intend to learn more Japanese, there are better sources out there than games.

* The eShop pages of unreleased games are subject to change. The Australian eShop page for Fire Emblem: Three Houses originally did not include Japanese as a supported language.

Games containing a large amount of text with furigana have green titles.

Games with heavy or complete furigana:
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Luigi's Mansion 3

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

The western release does not support Japanese.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Some menu items do not contain furigana where space is limited. The western release is playable in Japanese. Change the language settings in the game.

Yoshi's Crafted World

Games with partial furigana:

Little Town Hero

Dialogue contains furigana. Menu items do not. If I remember correctly, text-heavy parts of the menu, like quest information also contain furigana, but I can't find the trailer which showed this.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Dialogue contains furigana.

Games which contain a hiragana-only option:
Kanji with furigana is better than only hiragana for Japanese learners; kanji disambiguates the meaning of homophones like かける.
Pokemon: Let's Go

Games with limited to no furigana:
Astral Chain

No furigana.

Dragon Quest XI

Some dialogue sequences contain furigana.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

No furigana.

Oninaki Daemon

No furigana.

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy

Contains furigana for uncommon kanji readings.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Rahkeesh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zTei5RMhQ8