Hardware Hacking Switch OLED 256gb NAND upgrade

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it does. Part of how the SX chips work (if I'm not mistaken) is by injecting code into the NAND, and glitching the console so it will run the unsigned code. The injecting code into NAND part would probably fail with a blank NAND.

So a NAND upgrade can only be done on a V1?

Magnus Hydra

It’s rare for me to be here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you put the emmc on a nand board and program the partition and configure the emmc right using a unpatched erista. While having the OLED nand info on it. You can make it work. After that transplant it to the OLED. Use hekate to fix a few things. I did this for a mariko. With all the new improvement programs and stuff it’s probably easier and don’t need a unpatched. (Haven’t done a emmc upgrade in about 2 years now)

zal16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you put the emmc on a nand board and program the partition and configure the emmc right using a unpatched erista. While having the OLED nand info on it. You can make it work. After that transplant it to the OLED. Use hekate to fix a few things. I did this for a mariko. With all the new improvement programs and stuff it’s probably easier and don’t need a unpatched. (Haven’t done a emmc upgrade in about 2 years now)
I've had an unpatched erista in the distant past, yes, I really regret selling it (even though I made a lot of money selling it). If I had it, I wouldn't even have opened this topic.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All standard eMMCs should have the boot0 and boot1 partitions I believe, just they obviously wouldn't have Nintendo's bootloader. I can't imagine the modchips would care about the contents of those partitions, I'd think they'd just write their bct + payload to boot0 and do their thing (glitching the bootrom to think their bct is valid then letting the bootrom load the payload using the information provided in the bct as "normal").
But I have no experience with messing with any of this.

zal16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
emmc-pro.com

Maybe this emmc programmer solve my problems with boot0/1.

What you all recomendations?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emmc-pro.com

Maybe this emmc programmer solve my problems with boot0/1.

What you all recomendations?

First thought is that it’s $130 to play but you can’t put a price on bragging rights so…

The downside to the other emmc adapters on Amazon is they are from (or based on) the ameriDROID which specifically states:
  • Adapts Hardkernel eMMC modules (64GB or smaller) to a standard microSD card connector
  • Not compatible with the Hardkernel 128GB eMMC modules
not sure how to determine capacities of these devices unless they specifically call it out.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
You could always use a V1 switch instead since the emmc is soldered on a daughterboard.

Transplant oled dump on empty emmc, done.
Op said they don't have an unpatched console. Maybe he could use one of these + a cheap V1 nand from aliexpress? There are probably better ways to do it though. https://www.tindie.com/products/ignas/emmc-reader-for-hac-emmc/

If I were doing it I'd see if any phone repair stores near me offer iPhone storage upgrades and if they do ask them if they would be willing to use their nand programmer to transfer the contents of my 64 gb module to the new one.

zal16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You could always use a V1 switch instead since the emmc is soldered on a daughterboard.

Transplant oled dump on empty emmc, done.
Umpatched switch V1 is somewhat rare and very expensive. I've seen people selling it more expensive than the OLED version

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My major doubt is the possibility of sx core handle the glitch with a blank eMMC
Correct, spacecraft firmware cannot handle it.

HWFLY-NX recognizes the situation and fixes it because I needed it on two OLED switches where I placed 256GB. If you have a full NAND backup, you can place an empty NAND and the firmware will write the necessary parts to your eMMC. You may contact me for details.

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Speeds aren't all that, I do not recommend sandisk

Attachments

• 20220209_151933.jpg
    20220209_151933.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 184

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All standard eMMCs should have the boot0 and boot1 partitions I believe, just they obviously wouldn't have Nintendo's bootloader. I can't imagine the modchips would care about the contents of those partitions, I'd think they'd just write their bct + payload to boot0 and do their thing (glitching the bootrom to think their bct is valid then letting the bootrom load the payload using the information provided in the bct as "normal").
But I have no experience with messing with any of this.
Treading into dangerous territory here with the details, but the problem is to do with how the modchip's glitching mechanism distinguishes between failed attempts to glitch and correct ones. The mechanism relies on (valid/Nintendo signed) backup BCTs being present. Modchips detect when those valid ones get executed, and immediately reset the CPU and retry. Without valid ones in place, chances of successful glitches are minimal and it might take days before you ever get into hekate.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treading into dangerous territory here with the details, but the problem is to do with how the modchip's glitching mechanism distinguishes between failed attempts to glitch and correct ones. The mechanism relies on (valid/Nintendo signed) backup BCTs being present. Modchips detect when those valid ones get executed, and immediately reset the CPU and retry. Without valid ones in place, chances of successful glitches are minimal and it might take days before you ever get into hekate.
ah, ic, I had not thought of that ^^

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umpatched switch V1 is somewhat rare and very expensive. I've seen people selling it more expensive than the OLED version

i’m seeing V1 units with dock issues (for example) that work in handheld mode going for <$150. That’s only $20 more expensive than you were willing to pay for a sketchy lookin programmer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334095569915

zal16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i’m seeing V1 units with dock issues (for example) that work in handheld mode going for <$150. That’s only $20 more expensive than you were willing to pay for a sketchy lookin programmer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334095569915
these tablets form ebay can be the ipatched version, we would have to ask the seller the serial number, which I find difficult for them to answer.

doom95 show me a solution, only a sx core with proper firmware is necessary to do thw glitch, even with a blank eMMC

Reactions: binkinator

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know where the problem is.
buy one of these emmc's.

Hynix
H26T99001MCR 256gb
H26T87001CMR 128gb

SanDisk
SDINBDA6-256G
SDINBDA6-128G
SDINBDA4-256G
SDINBDD4-256G crap firmware!!! Don't buy!!!

Samsung
KLMEG8UCTA-B041 256gb new generation
KLMEG8UERM-C041 256gb old generation
KLMDG4UCTA-B041 128GB
KLMDG4UCTB-B041 128GB

Toshiba/Kioxia
THGAMRT0T43BAIR 128GB

FORESEE
FEMDNN256G-A3A44

Buy this emmc reader for switch.
Klick me
Solder your original emmc to the daughter bord and dump all your partitions from the chip. Also boot0/1 partitions.
Do this under Ubuntu.
Then solder your new emmc to the daughter bord and copy all the partitions back.
Then solder the emmc to your OLED.

You can also use a old erista switch for it.

if you want to do this more often you should buy an emmc reader.
Klick
But you need a special notebook SD card reader or the reader from the ali link above.
On xianyu/Idlefish you can find a usb version from a emmc reader for a good price.
Klick
Or here
Klick

btw.
Hekate restores the emmc backup whiteout problems to a bigger emmc.

Last edited by evil_santa,

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes that works,
In any case, it is important that the boot0/1 partition is described with the Nintendo bootloader. otherwise the chip cannot boot.
but please be careful when desoldering the emmc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5