Switch Online for Mobile Released

download (1).png

Nintendo has released the Nintendo Switch Online app for Android and IOS, giving users the ability to voice chat for their online services such as Splatoon 2.

A Nintendo Switch must be registered to your Nintendo account for you to be able to sign into the app, as it uses your Nintendo ID to authenticate with.

Edit: It appears they have marked the service for "Server Maintenance", giving out error code: 2817-0700. It seems we will have to wait a little longer to actually use the app itself.

You can grab them here:

Android: :arrow:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.znca
IOS: :arrow: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nintendo-switch-online/id1234806557?mt=8

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool beans, didn't expect it to come out so soon. Means we get more than a year free with full online functionality.
btw, they did mention this a limited form of the app and the online services, so it's not till the payed service that it will be the full thing

D

Deleted User

Let's hear some valid points that are formed correctly, and aren't opinionated pieces of shit!

Pros:
  • Doesn't allow for voice chat with people across the world, reducing risk for children or other users to hear something inappropriate or have contact with users they shouldn't be.
  • If the user uses data, the WiFi doesn't have to share voice chat and the game's online functions. Possibly allowing for better connections in game.
Cons:
  • A service that wasn't necessary for voice chat. The Switch has an audio plug (although not very convenient when in docked mode) that could have been used for both input and output.
  • Separate from the console.
  • Can't connect to voice chat if the screen is sleeping or in a different app.
  • Game audio stops if using voice chat.
Cons outweigh the pros.

Reactions: Deleted User

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's hear some valid points that are formed correctly, and aren't opinionated pieces of shit!

Pros:
  • Doesn't allow for voice chat with people across the world, reducing risk for children or other users to hear something inappropriate or have contact with users they shouldn't be.
  • If the user uses data, the WiFi doesn't have to share voice chat and the game's online functions. Possibly allowing for better connections in game.
Cons:
  • A service that wasn't necessary for voice chat. The Switch has an audio plug (although not very convenient when in docked mode) that could have been used for both input and output.
Cons outweigh the pros.
"Separate from console" is neither a pro or con imo, but otherwise yeah

Edit: what? "Game audio stops if using voice chat"?

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah, I didn't know people had to pay for the app itself in 2018! Damn

BOTW didn't make sense?
No, no it did not. It was an ok game (though a bit lacking in content for such an open world) and I enjoyed playing, but it wasn't a good ZELDA GAME. ...and don't even get me started on the story.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm not a big fan of how they require a smartphone app just for voicechat, that said I won't be using voicechat myself so it doesn't affect me personally.
It's a pretty poor way to implement voicechat though.
But considering that in the past they had no voicechat at all, it's at least a step forward. Even if the path is leading directly to a crocodile infested swamp :P
I do hope that they realize how stupid of an idea it is at some point, and decide to make it built in to the Switch after all.
But at least they have realized how important voicechat is to a lot of people in games like Splatoon, and I would assume that any future (home) console they make will have voicechat capability built in. They are slowly figuring out how to do proper online but they're still years behind everyone else.
No, no it did not. It was an ok game (though a bit lacking in content for such an open world) and I enjoyed playing, but it wasn't a good ZELDA GAME. ...and don't even get me started on the story.
It was a bit lacking in some areas, I was especially disappointed that there weren't more/better dungeons, and unlockable powers/items. Despite its flaws, I still loved it. And that's coming from someone who's a huge Zelda fan, but not a fan of open world games. I enjoyed it anyway, because it still looked, played and felt like a Zelda game. Just with more focus on exploration and less focus on dungeons.
So I disagree with that.

Pros:
Cons:
Cons outweigh the pros.
Pretty sure you can have game audio and voice chat at the same time, otherwise what the hell is the point of that Splatoon headset with two jacks?

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Full online functionality? :blink:
Well, I suppose this won't necessarily be everything they release related to online.

It's valid criticism. Deal with it.
Is it, though? Nobody mentions any of the benefits. Offloads processing power, battery drain, and you take your phone with you everywhere you go. It's a natural fit for a mobile system. The world of gaming isn't ending just because you have to keep your phone in your pocket while you voice chat with your wireless headset. Even if you use a wired one, it's more out of the way than wired sets you connect to other consoles' controllers.

I've actually yet to hear a good argument against it. "It's needlessly complicated!" Really? Since when is basic smartphone use "complicated?" Five-year-olds know how to operate them these days. Personally I rarely use voice chat so I don't care that much either way, but new and different does not automatically equal bad.

Excluding voice chat, I like the idea of the app for messing around with at work when I don't have my Switch on me.

Last edited by Xzi,

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pros:
Cons:
Cons outweigh the pros.
"Doesn't allow for voice chat with people across the world" is a pro for some and a con for some.

PS Vita did voice chat just fine. I don't understand Nintendo.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Android, iOS only? Couldn't care less.
What else is there? Windows phone? Blackberry? Eww.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not surprised damage control showed up.
I'm looking for a discussion, not damage control. It's just that so far, people have mostly been throwing out hyperbole. Let's be honest: nobody is going to use this voice chat anyway, just as nobody uses the voice chat on other consoles. They say they do, but when you show up with your headset on in a game, nobody's there. Or just that one kid everybody mutes. Voice chatting with a group of friends is doable either way, but obviously takes some planning from everyone involved.

Last edited by Xzi,

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
What else is there? Windows phone? Blackberry? Eww.
Just because i have to, Blackberry started switching to Android. Also if you got a blackberry you are sure want to use your phone for business only.
Aaaand Windows Phone is actually pretty awesome. From End-User and Developer perspectiv. Only shame is, it got not enough support.

Last edited by DarkIrata,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Is it, though? Nobody mentions any of the benefits. Offloads processing power, battery drain, and you take your phone with you everywhere you go. It's a natural fit for a mobile system. The world of gaming isn't ending just because you have to keep your phone in your pocket while you voice chat with your wireless headset. Even if you use a wired one, it's more out of the way than wired sets you connect to other consoles' controllers.

I've actually yet to hear a good argument against it. "It's needlessly complicated!" Really? Since when is basic smartphone use "complicated?" Five-year-olds know how to operate them these days. Personally I rarely use voice chat so I don't care that much either way, but new and different does not automatically equal bad.

Excluding voice chat, I like the idea of the app for messing around with at work when I don't have my Switch on me.

It is. You've just went out of your way to damage control as to how good Nintendo's 'advanced' online service is, no, seriously there is no reason they should force its users to use this backwards method to simply connect with other gamers which 360, PS3 and even DC/PS2 did with voice-chat through the gaming consoles.

The Nintendo Switch is primarily a gaming console and secondly a handheld, so your argument that it makes it easier just isn't really valid in this case. Keep on defending Nintendo, Xzi.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nobody is going to use this voice chat anyway, just as nobody uses the voice chat on other consoles.
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe its because you need this additional app on an additional device when other systems offer this within the console itself.

maybe something nintendo should have seen gamers are using a lot these days and like sony/ms included the feature in the console.

anyone whos not a fan can see this switch was another rushed console solely focusing on its gimmick, it lacks features that consoles have had for some time now.
rushed, shall we look at the quick cash grab that was the wii u profiting off the wii name
I feel the switch is a little less rushed as they actually took a dam moment to make something with an actually useful gimmick since they seem so keen on having one, I don't know about you but the portability makes this much more preferable since I'm not locked down to one spot with it, that is about the one redeming factor of it for me

S

Saiyan Lusitano

rushed, shall we look at the quick cash grab that was the wii u profiting off the wii name
I feel the switch is a little less rushed as they actually took a dam moment to make something with an actually useful gimmick since they seem so keen on having one, I don't know about you but the portability makes this much more preferable since I'm not locked down to one spot with it, that is about the one redeming factor of it for me
The Switch is a solid gaming console and handheld but it's extremely bare-bones right now. Simplistic and very empty eShop, not enough games, third party support is questionable, online service hasn't improved, to use voice-chat it requires a phone, the Switch Dock is horrendous, clunky Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online play but when it works, it works really well.

You then have publishers telling customers buy something they don't want so that they perhaps will get the game they want.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
seriously there is no reason they should force its users to use this backwards method
See, there you go again, complaining but not actually specifying what you're complaining about or why. Would be nice if you could refute any of my points rather than just dismissing them as "damage control." I don't work for Nintendo, but blind hatred is just as stupid as blind loyalty.

So far all I've gathered is that most people here don't like the two seconds it takes to pull your phone out of your pocket. Tell me if there's anything else substantive here.

Last edited by Xzi,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is a solid gaming console and handheld but it's extremely bare-bones right now. Simplistic and very empty eShop, not enough games, third party support is questionable, online service hasn't improved, to use voice-chat it requires a phone, the Switch Dock is horrendous, clunky Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online play but when it works, it works really well.

You then have publishers telling customers buy something they don't want so that they perhaps will get the game they want.
I seriously hope between now and the launch of the paid service they get this whole thing going alot more smoothly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: so much lightning shit makes valley of bowser from super mario world tame in comparison