Team Xecuter reveal info on upcoming Switch modchip

SwitchTX.jpg

Just over a week ago, team Xecuter announced that they are working on a soon-to-be-revealed modchip for the Nintendo Switch. This was big news because modchip devices are usually used to circumvent anti-piracy measures on many digital platforms, but mainly gaming systems, and to see one already in the works for a machine that is only 10 months old is very rare.

Since then the team have been quiet, no one knows what the device will look like, how it will work, or when they can get their hands on one - but GBAtemp can exclusively reveal today that there will be BOTH a solder AND solderless option of team Xecuter's Nintendo Switch modchip.

Here is a direct quote from team Xecuter:

For now, I can tell you there is a solder and solderless version. We have quite a lot in the works, you will have more info soon.

The difference in pricing should be interesting in the two versions of the device, but at least you can now rest safely, knowing that the team will be providing options for whatever the Xecuter Switch modchip turns out to be.

Stay tuned to GBAtemp for more info in the upcoming weeks.

Attachments

• nintendo-switch.jpg
    nintendo-switch.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 172

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
..I don't want to fuck up my brand new switch...

Maybe the solderless version requires a riser for the emmc and you can only fit the switch backplate afterwards by making a hole in it (there is not a lot af space inside of the switch).

My guess is probably just as good as anyone's btw.

Last edited by x3n0,

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, for those ofyou here withe xperience, when homebrew comes along, how well do you think this system, when you consider it's specs, will run things like Nintendo 64, PS2, Gamecube...

If you look at it via straight hardware comparisons, the Nintendo Switch is basically a Nvidia Shield X1, so lower performance hungry games can work if there was a dolphin port. I doubt ps2 will see the light

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look at it via straight hardware comparisons, the Nintendo Switch is basically a Nvidia Shield X1, so lower performance hungry games can work if there was a dolphin port. I doubt ps2 will see the light
PS2'd run. Dolphin is capable of running GameCube games on the Shield, and that's a slightly more powerful console

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
PS2'd run. Dolphin is capable of running GameCube games on the Shield, and that's a slightly more powerful console
Thats not how this works. :) It also has to do with how close the hardware resembles existing platforms, respectively how costly it was to emulate their logic. Think of it as a "factor" between the systems performance and the emulation performance (on "somewhat standardized" hardware).

For PS2 emulation, recommended specs are still

>Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2,8 GHz or better OR AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz or better
src: https://wiki.pcsx2.net/PCSX2

with a dedicated grafics card that can at least push 500 Gflops

The X1 is arguably below that spec - with the Switch using a capped version of the normal X1, so lets just say, that PS2 emulation is not especially likely. :)

The Nvidia Shield TV (sporting an X1) has always been a developers darling, so just look at that for reference.

Last edited by notimp,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats not how this works. :) It also has to do with how close the hardware resembles existing platforms, respectively how costly it was to emulate their logic. Think of it as a "factor" between the systems performance and the emulation performance (on "somewhat standardized" hardware).

For PS2 emulation, recommended specs are still

>Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2,8 GHz or better OR AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz or better
src: https://wiki.pcsx2.net/PCSX2

with a dedicated grafics card that can at least push 500 Gflops

The X1 is arguably below that spec - with the Switch using a capped version of the normal X1, so lets just say, that PS2 emulation is not especially likely. :)

The Nvidia Shield TV (sporting an X1) has always been a developers darling, so just look at that for reference.
That's how it works only if it's a compatibility layer between similar hardwares. Given that both GC and PS2 stuff is 100% emulation, the only thing that matters is that a PS2 emulator exists that can be compiled to run on an ARM processor, and that its code is fairly optimized. Now, I don't know if that exists in the real world, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted User

That's how it works only if it's a compatibility layer between similar hardwares. Given that both GC and PS2 stuff is 100% emulation, the only thing that matters is that a PS2 emulator exists that can be compiled to run on an ARM processor, and that its code is fairly optimized. Now, I don't know if that exists in the real world, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible
You're oversimplifying a pretty complex concept. "100% emulated" doesn't mean anything. When you get down to translating the actual cpu instructions of the emulated system, architecture of the system you're emulating on matters very much and will absolutely impact performance. Even at a microcode level, how the cpu handles cache, if it depends more on RAM than register-register copies (intel vs. most RISC chips), word sizes, etc. etc.

Just because it can compile for any given architecture doesn't mean it's even close to equivalent in performance under the hood.

Last edited by ,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'm not qualified to talk details here, but the "compatibility layer" is the actual system emulation in software. Its not a 1:1 translation of the code base to a "general" x86 or arm environment (= what a port would be), instead all the (/many) subsystems of the original hardware are recreated (emulated) in software, which means - there is performance loss.

And the performance loss is somewhat linked to "complexity", or "wierdness" of the original platform, not only its performance. PS2 - if my surface level understanding doesnt fault me, was still quite a bit removed from "normal" x86 instruction sets.

That said - we can move away from the theoretical level - and look at the practical. Apparently there is a port of a PS2 emulator for the Nvidia Shield TV. Apparently it hardly runs any games at all. (What I gather from searching youtube for 3 minutes. :) ). On youtube - btw, there are also clickbaiters, that "sell" you game streaming of PS2 emulation (PC does it a few rooms away) as "Emulation on the Shield TV", because - yes, it has come this far.. :) So dont fall for that.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gonna get the solderless version sine I've never soldered anything and I don't want to fuck up my brand new switch, considering I'll be buyying a brand spanking new Switch just for this. I don't want to risk getting my current Switch banned.

Anyway, for those ofyou here withe xperience, when homebrew comes along, how well do you think this system, when you consider it's specs, will run things like Nintendo 64, PS2, Gamecube...
I got banned on the xbox360 when I had FWH on the dvd reader and never cared about it :). I would never pay Xblive anyway...

I hated was when they corrupted everything after being banned and I had to solder a lot of shit and connect to the serial port on my PC to unlock it to after they later go on court M$ lost and removed that crap corruption...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I got banned on the xbox360 when I had FWH on the dvd reader and never cared about it :). I would never pay Xblive anyway...

I hated was when they corrupted everything after being banned and I had to solder a lot of shit and connect to the serial port on my PC to unlock it to after they later go on court M$ lost and removed that crap corruption...
It is really stupid to ban people that hack off Xbox Live - if they're pirating they're not spending any continuous money, except for Xbox Live subscriptions. Banning them means they now spend absolutely zero.

Reactions: Pro_Sparrow

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is really stupid to ban people that hack off Xbox Live - if they're pirating they're not spending any continuous money, except for Xbox Live subscriptions. Banning them means they now spend absolutely zero.

It looks good to your game makers (we are being tough on) and also witness how many considered their banned 360 worthless, or indeed JTAG as worthless (and RGH when it could not).

Patatas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Or not. A lot of people (like myself) bought a second 360 just for Halo. Also, if people hack, they probably have access to cheats, and they would harm the ecosystem for people who buy the games, and might make them stop playing/buying games. It's not stupid at all.

Edit: Not to mention that they are surely quite mad at people hacking their consoles, so losing the subscription money (which was often bought yearly, a lot of people still had many months on their account) is probably worth to punish the pirates.

Last edited by Patatas,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did someone say will there be Chinese clones of this?

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha, I don't wanna ruin the surprise but before Nintendo and Nvidia made this deal, Nvidia let 3rd parties use its Tegra chips like there was a Chinese handheld like 2 years ago that used Tegra K1 or was it K2 and it advertised it as the first handheld to use that particular GPU, it was pretty big handheld and famous in homebrew communities playing GameCube games.

Nintendo switch I bought not only for its games but also cause it's literally the cheapest and only Tegra X1 handheld on the market, plus the Joycons are such a step up from the Wii Mote. It's probably why it was hacked so fast is cause it's literally a handheld with a Tegra X1 in it, who wouldn't wanna be able to use that, so much power.

Last edited by Yami Anubis ZX,
D

Deleted-355425

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha, I don't wanna ruin the surprise but before Nintendo and Nvidia made this deal, Nvidia let 3rd parties use its Tegra chips like there was a Chinese handheld like 2 years ago that used Tegra K1 or was it K2 and it advertised it as the first handheld to use that particular GPU, it was pretty big handheld and famous in homebrew communities playing GameCube games.

Nintendo switch I bought not only for its games but also cause it's literally the cheapest and only Tegra X1 handheld on the market, plus the Joycons are such a step up from the Wii Mote. It's probably why it was hacked so fast is cause it's literally a handheld with a Tegra X1 in it, who wouldn't wanna be able to use that, so much power.

It’s the high interest and potential market, that’s why everyone is having a go and exploiting it.

Tempest228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wish Nvidia would of made an X1 tablet. The shield tablet was a great piece of hardware. There are not other android tablets on the market that really come close to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-