Team Xecuter reveal info on upcoming Switch modchip

SwitchTX.jpg

Just over a week ago, team Xecuter announced that they are working on a soon-to-be-revealed modchip for the Nintendo Switch. This was big news because modchip devices are usually used to circumvent anti-piracy measures on many digital platforms, but mainly gaming systems, and to see one already in the works for a machine that is only 10 months old is very rare.

Since then the team have been quiet, no one knows what the device will look like, how it will work, or when they can get their hands on one - but GBAtemp can exclusively reveal today that there will be BOTH a solder AND solderless option of team Xecuter's Nintendo Switch modchip.

Here is a direct quote from team Xecuter:

For now, I can tell you there is a solder and solderless version. We have quite a lot in the works, you will have more info soon.

The difference in pricing should be interesting in the two versions of the device, but at least you can now rest safely, knowing that the team will be providing options for whatever the Xecuter Switch modchip turns out to be.

Stay tuned to GBAtemp for more info in the upcoming weeks.

Attachments

• nintendo-switch.jpg
    nintendo-switch.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 173

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both options are going to be a modchip. Both options will require one to open the device. Both options will almost certainly offer the same feature set. The main differences will be price and durability.

D

Deleted User

That'd be my concern as well. Unless it's absurdly difficult to install I'll be more inclined to go with the soldered solution. I don't think either version is going to let us get away with not opening up the console.
If you're soldering you will need to open the console

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the difference in price is more than 100 bucks. :rofl2:
Definitely won't be worth it anyway. The price to ship both ways, plus his price will be around 150

Provided that he nor the shipper doesn't break the system. Yeah I'd go solderless

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're soldering you will need to open the console

What I was saying is I expect we'll need to open the console either way. I'd love to be wrong about it but I don't think the solderless version is going to be a usb-c dongle or anything 'plug-n-play' like that. Maybe, but don't get your hopes up.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RIP people who do tiny soldering, but certainly not at tiny prices.
but the switch has a tiny motherboard...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Now it all depends on price and functionality. If this enables CFW for all FW versions, that's awesome. If it only lets you dual-boot Android for $100 or whatever then forget about it.
its already been confirmed that its for homebrew and more

where have you been
?

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
maybe the solderless one only connects to the dock and can only be used when its docked?

It's already been stated that a CFW would be possible using the TX solution. And if that's the case, I don't see why it couldn't be turned into a permanent CFW, except TX takes measures to prevent that.

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is huge, I told ya these guys are great, they pretty much wipe out all the competition with this news.

I'd probably go for the solder option, common sense just tells me it is going to be better and I don't want dongles around but I guess we have to wait and see.

Reactions: THYPLEX

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
I don’t do tiny soldering for tiny modchip, guess l’ll go with their solderless option, hopefully not anoying usb-c dongle

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

maybe the solderless one only connects to the dock and can only be used when its docked?
Tbh from the photo it looks like something related to the dock, if so I’m out I rarely play Switch docked

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Flashcart are not really possible on the switch.

Let's see for the modchip... If it is an actual fair price maybe ai'll give it a try.... (Juste to know they are based in USA right?)
Flashcarts are always possible. Even the Vita got a flashcart, even though it wasn't very good.
Am I the only one thinking that there must be something more useful about the soldered version than the solderless one? Why even make a soldered version if the solderless one would work just fine? What do you guys think might be the disadvantage of the solderless version?
Solderless is less reliable, as it's not guaranteed to make good contact all the time, plus over time the contacts may be worn out enough that it doesn't work anymore.
That being said, if they design it well it should be reliable, it depends on how it attaches to the board and exactly what pins are used. If it attaches directly to chip legs it would be easier to get a good connection compared to tiny test pads, plus there would be less chance of the chip moving around slightly and losing connection if it's an exact fit over the chip, whereas the test pads would need pressure against them and that's not easy to do in a reliable way in a console as cramped as the Switch.
There have been a lot of solderless offerings for various consoles in the past and people still tend to prefer the soldered options since they're simply more reliable (given that whoever soldered it did it properly), but it's nice to have solderless options for those who can't or don't want to solder or pay someone else to do it for them.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had a Switch, I would definitely go for the solder version, unless the points were tiny as hell. Solderless can break off or fall off, most of the time they just clip onto a few cables, or wrap around the motherboard.

D

Deleted-355425

It's already been stated that a CFW would be possible using the TX solution. And if that's the case, I don't see why it couldn't be turned into a permanent CFW, except TX takes measures to prevent that.

TX didnt write any CFW for the xbox from what i remember they just produce the hardware.

Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: