Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so i tried a bunch of things to fix the initialization issue, and i did them twice to switch the ports around to see if it worked
I Tried putting a disk in the system while booting USB loader
I tried unplugging my (official nintendo) gamecube USB adapters because i read somewhere that things in the USB could interfere with the loader
I switched from loader IOS 249 to IOS 58 to IOS 250 tried launching from all of those while also switching the ports the Y cable was plugged into.
Reformatted that Hard drive and tried all of the options again.
Returned that Hard drive and bought a different one (same brand different model) after and did everything above all over again.

it doesn't work. it either hangs on Initializing USB or it boots up properly but doesn't read the drive at all. if i plug in the drive during the 20 second window everything works fine. But i don't want to have to plug and unplug the drive USB loader GX to load properly

At this point im convinced its just the hard drive giving me issues. somebody please...
PLEASE
TELL ME WHAT MODEL HDD THEY'RE USING SO I CAN RETURN MINE AND BUY THAT ONE TO TRY AGAIN. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THIS CONSTANT TRIAL AND ERROR TROUBLE SHOOTING. I WOULD RATHER PURCHASE SOMETHING THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAS CONFIRMED SUCCESS WITH.

this is the hdd I'm using for the virtual Wii: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

it's never given me problems. I have a second hdd for the virtual wii that I replaced with that in case it fails. I've backed up the hdd basically, so it's on four hdds. I can't recall the hdd I used to begin with since I placed it in an enclosure. I think it was a 1TB seagate though. that's the exact hdd I replace it with.

Reactions: skullpatch

skullpatch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is the hdd I'm using for the virtual Wii: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

it's never given me problems. I have a second hdd for the virtual wii that I replaced with that in case it fails. I've backed up the hdd basically, so it's on four hdds. I can't recall the hdd I used to begin with since I placed it in an enclosure. I think it was a 1TB seagate though. that's the exact hdd I replace it with.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll try that.

On a side note when trying to run budakai tenkaichi 3 (a wii game) it doesn't seem to recognize my GC controller adapter so i can only play with the wii mote. But Nintendont recognizes the GC adapter just fine, so is this a limitation of USB Loader GX or do I have to change certain settings?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, I need to follow the emunand guide above, and then search for a neek wiiu tutorial, maybe this:
http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.php/8119-Compiling-a-vWii-compatible-version-of-SNEEK

I am asking this because I have to dump another Nand, I think just NAND, not emunand, and I don't want getting confused. I will need two dumps, right, and the process there is completely different from yours. The another process involves installing a load of programs on my pc.

Also, if I followed this guide (definitive vwii hacking guide), do I have d2x cios?
yes, that's this Wiiu neek tutorial I was talking about.

EmuNAND is a bad name, which is used for all copy of NAND located on SD or USB.
NAND (console) -----> copy to SD or USB and that copy is now called emuNAND. but it's just your NAND, as copy.

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yes, that's this Wiiu neek tutorial I was talking about.

EmuNAND is a bad name, which is used for all copy of NAND located on SD or USB.
NAND (console) -----> copy to SD or USB and that copy is now called emuNAND. but it's just your NAND, as copy.
But do I need to make 2 dumps? There is your dump way, which is simplier, and there is this dump from this another tutorial from hacksden, which relies more on a PC. Do I need to make the two dumps? I am kind of lost here.

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I made another great step on myy Wii U. I successfully installed neek on my vwii. I even played Castlevania Rebirth. The problem is, when I try to use the forwarder gxloader, it freezes on initializing USB device. I have 2 dumps, one on NAND folder, and one on sneek. I AM not autobooting sneek. If I go to homebrew channel, and boot usbloader, it goes ok. I AM using USBLoaderGX 5.1 fix, but now uninatalled it. Oh, when I enter USBLoaderGX by the HBC, it loads, and now I can load it again by the forwarder, but when my first boot is on forwarderUSBLoaderGX, it freezes. Any clue? Should I delete the folder NAND and use only sneek folder?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's two different "NAND content".
either you dump your existing NAND, and you'll have a copy of your actual console's NAND
either you make one from scratch, and you'll have a clean, new NAND, as if you just bought a new Wii (you will have to set time/date/wiimote syncing, console's name, etc.)

Do not launch any homebrew while inside NEEK.
when you use neek, the devices are unavailable for their usual purpose.
if you use Sneek, the SD became "internal memory", you can't access SD card's content for homebrew. it would be like asking homebrew to list homebrew located in your console's internal memory.

If you want to launch homebrew, you need to exit neek by rebooting the console (or on vWii, by selecting "return to WiiU").
on WiiU, you need to exit vWii and launch it again, that's a long process, but currently the only solution.
I will have to find a way to reload only vWii (something like hbl2hbc)

For your freezing issue.
I guess you put the homebrew on your USB instead of SD?
that's why HBC can initialize the drive correctly before listing homebrew on it.
if you launch from SD, or from the forwarder, it may not have enough time, or use the correct process to init the drive. (cIOS are not good with newer drives)
you could fix it by setting loader's IOS to 58 in the loader's settings.

it's the SAAAAAAME problem for about 50 pages of this thread.
"my drive is not detected !!!! help" .... "set IOS58 !"
it's written at least twice on each page of this thread.

Last edited by Cyan,

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
that's two different "NAND content".
either you dump your existing NAND, and you'll have a copy of your actual console's NAND
either you make one from scratch, and you'll have a clean, new NAND, as if you just bought a new Wii (you will have to set time/date/wiimote syncing, console's name, etc.)

Do not launch any homebrew while inside NEEK.
when you use neek, the devices are unavailable for their usual purpose.
if you use Sneek, the SD became "internal memory", you can't access SD card's content for homebrew. it would be like asking homebrew to list homebrew located in your console's internal memory.

If you want to launch homebrew, you need to exit neek by rebooting the console (or on vWii, by selecting "return to WiiU").
on WiiU, you need to exit vWii and launch it again, that's a long process, but currently the only solution.
I will have to find a way to reload only vWii (something like hbl2hbc)

For your freezing issue.
I guess you put the homebrew on your USB instead of SD?
that's why HBC can initialize the drive correctly before listing homebrew on it.
if you launch from SD, or from the forwarder, it may not have enough time, or use the correct process to init the drive. (cIOS are not good with newer drives)
you could fix it by setting loader's IOS to 58 in the loader's settings.

it's the SAAAAAAME problem for about 50 pages of this thread.
"my drive is not detected !!!! help" .... "set IOS58 !"
it's written at least twice on each page of this thread.
But my usbloader gx loads from my Sd using ios58, it only doesn't launch (freezes on initializing USB), when I first try to launch it from the forwarder channel. I have to launch it first from HBC, and then the forwarder works. As I said, I am planning to delet the NAND folder from my USB and see if the USBLoaderGX forwarder works on first try, so use sneek when I want to play wads and etc. Think this Might work (only the forwarder issue solving is missing for my Wii U be full-powered).

Last edited by xxgugu123xx,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the NAND folder has nothing to do with the way the loader launches.
the NAND folder is used when you launch a channel installed inside that folder using the loader's interface. it doesn't care if there is a folder or not on your USB, as it can't even mount the USB to begin with.

it's analogy to "my apartment key isn't working on the apartment door, let's try to throw away the furniture inside the house and see if the key works better on the door".

the forwarder problem is probably something else.
maybe the initialization process used by the forwarder has a bug, maybe the forwarder doesn't wait long enough for USB detection, maybe the forwarder has problem detecting your HDD partitions, etc.

Which HDD are you using, which partition table type, which partitions are present ?

Last edited by Cyan,

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the NAND folder has nothing to do with the way the loader launches.
the NAND folder is used when you launch a channel installed inside that folder using the loader's interface. it doesn't care if there is a folder or not on your USB, as it can't even mount the USB to begin with.

it's analogy to "my apartment key isn't working on the apartment door, let's try to throw away the furniture inside the house and see if the key works better on the door".

the forwarder problem is probably something else.
maybe the initialization process used by the forwarder has a bug, maybe the forwarder doesn't wait long enough for USB detection, maybe the forwarder has problem detecting your HDD partitions, etc.

Which HDD are you using, which partition table type, which partitions are present ?
I made the process used on this thread: bootice, first 3 partitions 0kb, all fat32, mbr, 4096kb something..,., I will try another forwarder chaneel then.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never understood why that user wrote the guide like that. to me it's just nonsense to make 3 empty partitions. I wouldn't have even use that program, but that's his guide.
it's only a "workaround" to make a full partition which use the full remaining HDD size, as the 4th partition always use the remaining size.
that way, he didn't have to write a guide to tell you how much space you had to use for the FIRST partition of the drive.

I don't know if that's why you are having issues or not, but I just find it strange to make the working partition on the last slot instead of the first one.

trying another forwarder?
for a different homebrew you place on USB, you could try.

Ahh, just a precision.
the forwarder is forwarding to where? SD or USB ?
if it's on USB, try placing the loader (and all the resources, like settings, covers, etc.) to SD too.
just use the "easy" setup, trying to use uncommon setup and wondering how to make it work is not the best way to use homebrew. using the working setup is always better for everyone (users and helpers).

if it's already on SD, verify the meta.xml for USBLoaderGX doesn't have commented lines in it, and be sure the parameters are good (--ios=58, --port=0)
you can try to disable mount at launch, and try to init the drive manually later, but that's not the best way to use the loader.

Last edited by Cyan,

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I never understood why that user wrote the guide like that. to me it's just nonsense to make 3 empty partitions. I wouldn't have even use that program, but that's his guide.
it's only a "workaround" to make a full partition which use the full remaining HDD size, as the 4th partition always use the remaining size.
that way, he didn't have to write a guide to tell you how much space you had to use for the FIRST partition of the drive.

I don't know if that's why you are having issues or not, but I just find it strange to make the working partition on the last slot instead of the first one.

trying another forwarder?
for a different homebrew you place on USB, you could try.

Ahh, just a precision.
the forwarder is forwarding to where? SD or USB ?
if it's on USB, try placing the loader (and all the resources, like settings, covers, etc.) to SD too.
just use the "easy" setup, trying to use uncommon setup and wondering how to make it work is not the best way to use homebrew. using the working setup is always better for everyone (users and helpers).

if it's already on SD, verify the meta.xml for USBLoaderGX doesn't have commented lines in it, and be sure the parameters are good (--ios=58, --port=0)
you can try to disable mount at launch, and try to init the drive manually later, but that's not the best way to use the loader.
Oh my, the issue was in the launcher forwarder, so I installed another version of USBLoaderGX forwarder. Now everything is ok. I now have a Wii U with cbhc haxchi, a vwii with USBLoaderGX and Nintendont running Gamecube, Wii and Triforce Arcade, and an emuNAND sneek running everything, even Castlevania Rebirth. The worst part? Messing with sneek, cause I understand nothing about that python thing. Thanks so much. Now I can just sit down and play everything I want. And I can tell, a full unlocked Wii U is a monster.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my, the issue was in the launcher forwarder, so I installed another version of USBLoaderGX forwarder. Now everything is ok. I now have a Wii U with cbhc haxchi, a vwii with USBLoaderGX and Nintendont running Gamecube, Wii and Triforce Arcade, and an emuNAND sneek running everything, even Castlevania Rebirth. The worst part? Messing with sneek, cause I understand nothing about that python thing. Thanks so much. Now I can just sit down and play everything I want. And I can tell, a full unlocked Wii U is a monster.

how do u get castelvania rebirth to work? I haven't tested my copy of the game, but I remember it having issues even on the original wii. I'm using normal emunand. I guess I'm using uneek since it's on the usb drive.

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
how do u get castelvania rebirth to work? I haven't tested my copy of the game, but I remember it having issues even on the original wii. I'm using normal emunand. I guess I'm using uneek since it's on the usb drive.
I used the hacksden tutorial, and I almost exploded my head compiling a version of my emuNAND on sneek using python and various things I do not know how to work with. Then, I gone to the gears icon on USBLoaderGX, gone to the features window, and selected the last option: run sneek or something like this. I also used the program Showmiiwads to install the wads via PC on my emuNAND.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm...u can actually create emuNAND and install wads in usb loader gx. they're in the "features" section I believe, so u may have saved yourself some trouble.

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hmm...u can actually create emuNAND and install wads in usb loader gx. they're in the "features" section I believe, so u may have saved yourself some trouble.
I tried installing a wad via USBLoaderGX, it installed, but did not show on home screen, so I tried the hard way, and it worked, and that is what matter. And there is something about not being able to use homebrew while on sneek, but I can not explain.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. I mass installed mine, so if any aren't appearing, I don't know about it. :P I just tested mega man 9 and 10. both worked without issue. u need a special cios (fat) for it though if using ustealth. I couldn't get emunand to run otherwise. it would kick me back to usb loader gx. however, with that change, emunand games work. that was thanks to @Cyan .

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see. I mass installed mine, so if any aren't appearing, I don't know about it. :P I just tested mega man 9 and 10. both worked without issue. u need a special cios (fat) for it though if using ustealth. I couldn't get emunand to run otherwise. it would kick me back to usb loader gx. however, with that change, emunand games work. that was thanks to @Cyan .
Speaking of Megaman, the dlcs worked wonders

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of Megaman, the dlcs worked wonders

I made a few backups of a wad collection from that iso site since they keep being hacked. that's what I used to install. I'm not sure if the dlc's were in there. it took several hours going through usb loader gx. I currently have between 700-900 games. I made a backup of my hdd a couple times as well. two of the backup hdds r plugged into my laptop at this very moment along with backups of my ps3 and 360 hdds. I'm making backups of every card/stick/hdd I have since two+ hdds died with no backup.

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I made a few backups of a wad collection from that iso site since they keep being hacked. that's what I used to install. I'm not sure if the dlc's were in there. it took several hours going through usb loader gx. I currently have between 700-900 games. I made a backup of my hdd a couple times as well. two of the backup hdds r plugged into my laptop at this very moment along with backups of my ps3 and 360 hdds. I'm making backups of every card/stick/hdd I have since two+ hdds died with no backup.
Here in Brazil everything is expensive. I am using two Wd hdds 1tb with Y cable, one for Wii U, one for Wii and gamecube. My Wii U Sd card is a Kingston 32gb. And my a9lh luma O3DS Xl is using a SanDisk 128gb.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a powered virtual wii hdd using ustealth, and an unpowered wii u hdd using like 3 extension cables. the latter hasn't given me any problems (playing it now in fact). I can't recall the brands of my sd cards. I'm using a 256GB card for my wii u/redNAND/loadiine games. and, I'm using a 128GB micro sd card with my 3ds. oh, I also have the gamecube games on my sd card with the wii u. this is due to the fact that Nintendon't doesn't like more than one hdd plugged in, and it doesn't seem to see through ustealth. my wii u hdd is a wd elements drive, and my virtual wii is using a wd "blue" 1TB drive. the wii u is using a 2TB drive btw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi