Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so I installed another version of USBLoaderGX forwarder.
what do you mean with another version ? where did you find a working one if it's not the official one ?
maybe you didn't have the "5.1 fix" but only the "5.1" (which is actually the 2.0 with no USB support)

About the neek option in the loader :
Neek is not the newest version of that NAND redirection feature, there is also "neek2o" (neek 2.0), which is a fork/modded version of the original neek.
Like I said previously, that version was never legally released for WiiU vWii (the one you need to compile yourself, with python or other tools), and only the pre-compiled version was leaked which is illegal to share here.

The differences are that neek2o has a little more features, such as :
- Allows subfolders for NAND path
- Allows arguments at launch (used to autoboot a game instead of system menu, used to set a "return to" channel located on neek when you exit the autobooted game, etc.)
- Supports 4k sectors drives (I think)

If you set the GLOBAL option of USBLoaderGX to Neek, then ALL the games will use it.
but the loader will always warn you that neek is old (not neek2o) and cannot autoboot, instead it will just launch neek system menu and you'll have to launch the game yourself once in neek environment.
I might change that warning on a later revision, as I find it a little annoying to get it every time, I guess after some time you know it can autoboot.

What I suggest you is to not set neek mode in the GLOBAL setting, but instead set it in the INDIVIDUAL game setting.
as 80% of games are working fine without neek, set the global to "full". it's launching the game faster, and exit back to the loader.
when you meet a game which doesn't work, go to that game's setting and enable neek only for that game.

that's just my opinion, of course you can use neek for all your channels, but that's just unnecessary launch boot time and you are stuck in neek environment until you reboot the console. you can't launch the loader from there.

xxgugu123xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
what do you mean with another version ? where did you find a working one if it's not the official one ?
maybe you didn't have the "5.1 fix" but only the "5.1" (which is actually the 2.0 with no USB support)
Yes, I thought I had the 5.1 fiz

Neek is not the newest version of that NAND redirection feature, there is also "neek2o" (neek 2.0), which is a fork/modded version of the original neek.
Like I said previously, that version was never legally released for WiiU vWii (the one you need to compile yourself, with python or other tools), and only the pre-compiled version was leaked which is illegal to share here.

- Allows arguments at launch (used to autoboot a game instead of system menu, used to set a "return to" channel located on neek when you exit the autobooted game, etc.)

If you set the GLOBAL option of USBLoaderGX to Neek, then ALL the games will use it.
but the loader will always warn you that neek is old (not neek2o) and cannot autoboot, instead it will just launch neek system menu and you'll have to launch the game yourself once in neek environment.
I might change that warning on a later revision, as I find it a little annoying to get it every time, I guess after some time you know it can autoboot.

What I suggest you is to not set neek mode in the GLOBAL setting, but instead set it in the INDIVIDUAL game setting.
as 80% of games are working fine without neek, set the global to "full". it's launching the game faster, and exit back to the loader.
when you meet a game which doesn't work, go to that game's setting and enable neek only for that game.

that's just my opinion, of course you can use neek for all your channels, but that's just unnecessary launch boot time and you are stuck in neek environment until you reboot the console. you can't launch the loader from there.

I thought I had 5.1 fix, but I had only 5.1. Also, when I install dlc wads on neek, I just now saw I can not play then, but they are installed. Do I have to access the Wiiware Shop of the game and download the dlc after installing the wad? I am using findmiiwad to install.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I had 5.1 fix, but I had only 5.1. Also, when I install dlc wads on neek, I just now saw I can not play then, but they are installed. Do I have to access the Wiiware Shop of the game and download the dlc after installing the wad? I am using findmiiwad to install.

u mean showmiiwads, don't u? ;)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never bought a DLC on Wii, so I don't know.
I think the DLC are available as WAD too (on sharing iso websites).
I don't remember if network is working on neek to access eshop and buy games or dlcs.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the guide, but when I tried to backup with dump mii nand, it froze at 149. It stayed that way for an hour before I forcibly turned off the console. I tried it again, and the same thing happened.

mikeong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dear all,

newbie here. I am trying to follow the guide but got stuck in the early stage, I seek your help.

I managed to install homebrew channel using method 1 (https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/#41). However, after restoring the original vWii MiiMaker and reboot, and lunching the vWii homebrew channel, all I get is an empty menu (i.e. with animated bubbles). All files were copied the exact same way, i.e. under SD:/wiiu/apps. I have tried 2 different SD cars, an old 2GB SD cards and a new 32GB SDHC card. Both game me empty homebrew channel. The boot.elf is present at the root directory of the SD card(s).

can anyone shed any light into as what may be wrong and how I can fix this?

any help is very much appreciated,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dear all,

newbie here. I am trying to follow the guide but got stuck in the early stage, I seek your help.

I managed to install homebrew channel using method 1 (https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/#41). However, after restoring the original vWii MiiMaker and reboot, and lunching the vWii homebrew channel, all I get is an empty menu (i.e. with animated bubbles). All files were copied the exact same way, i.e. under SD:/wiiu/apps. I have tried 2 different SD cars, an old 2GB SD cards and a new 32GB SDHC card. Both game me empty homebrew channel. The boot.elf is present at the root directory of the SD card(s).

it's not detecting any homebrew? do u have more homebrew on the sd card other than the homebrew channel itself?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Dear all,

SD:/wiiu/apps is for WiiU homebrew. Wii homebrew uses SD:/wii/apps

mikeong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It has all the homebrew as required by the guide:

Code:
~/Downloads/vwii/SD$ ls .
boot.elf  wiiu

Code:
~/Downloads/vwii/SD$ ls wiiu/apps/
d2x-cios-installer                            usbloader_gx
DmpMiNND                                      wuphax
homebrew_launcher                             xyzzy
IOS236 Installer MOD v8 Special vWii Edition  YetAnotherBlueDumpMod

and it is this SD card that I used to install homebrew into vWii. All directories under apps were copied directly after unzipping the original zip file.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to run out of region discs (PAL on NTSC) in vWii? Or do I need haxchi or something first?

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

skullpatch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone link me an older version of USB Loader GX that works for them. This is the 3rd external drive I've tried and it still fails to initialize upon the first load. after so my external drives the problem has to be the loader since nintendont has no problem initializing or reading from any of the HDD's I've tried.

EDIT: It doesn't seem like its necessary anymore to try a different revision. When I plugged in the 3rd new drive (this new one has an externally powered enclosure) and tried IOS58 again the loader didn't see it initially, which threw me off. but if i skip the "plug in HDD" prompt it will start re-initializing usb devices and can see everything just fine. Gamecube games work and boot up properly (although the boot speed is a bit slower than im used to) wii games don't load at all, launching them kicks me back into the home menu but i'll deal with that later

Last edited by skullpatch,
Reactions: racertj5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated