• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The media is creating mass hysteria over the Coronavirus.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 45,009
  • Replies 504
  • Likes 9
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm no scientist so I may be talking a load or arse, but to me smartphones seems like perfect receptacles for catching yourself a nice portion of take-home Corona. Every day I get on a train full of people all wearing masks, and 90+% of them holding their phones in their hands. Surely these are ideal landing pads for any little virus particles floating around in the air? If so then all the hand sanitizers at stations and face masks seem pretty much redundant if the virus can just attach itself to your third arm and have a free ride into your personal living space.

Anybody more scientific than me care to analyse this theory?
https://www.ijcmas.com/vol-3-4/Kausar Malik and Nabiha Naeem.pdf
There are actually more Escherichia coli bacteria on Smartphone, PC Tablet than in the toilet.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Remember the media loves bad news, and loves to make people panic, as it causes them to get more eye balls! The media is eating this up, they're making so much money off ads. Good news doesn't get them as many viewers.
Now replace media with "(authors of) crime novels". And read the sentence again. ;)

Also advertisers actually dont like that stuff, because they deem it controversial. But that actually was operational logic from a time, when users still payed for media mostly. So media could and would pick which advertisers to go with.

Advanced lesson:

Find the "Murder, sex and crime" in domesitc politics, foreign politics, economics, culture and sport. Because aside from 'local' those are the main news categories in any paper youd buy.

Of course you are skipping those (looked at the Dow Jones lately?) and go exactly to Human interest stories, personal interest and people died - to characterize media, because?

The media forced you to?

Still the first lesson. Its about highjacking your attention span. Same thing every youtuber does with duckface and wide eyed played emotion on every popular youtube video ever. Fontsetting and title crafting they both have figured out. And to be honest, I personally like to read my media with 'murder mysteries' over 'duckface fake emotion mugshots' all the time. If I had to pick. Luckily I dont have to (I dont read yellow press, if I have the choice.).

Last edited by notimp,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
89964190_892564904514064_5426656037073584128_n.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Updated Covid-19 mortality rate among closed cases:

11%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Going for the lies, damn lies and statistics approach are we?

On the site I clicked on the country graph and grabbed the numbers. Nice new column for Total deaths / Total cases * 100 because they care to tell me how many are still critical but not that. Nothing among the big numbers of cases seems close to that, Italy being the worst (assuming China is accurate of course, which I think we are doubting) at any major rate at 8.57489206950086%, Indonesia just edging it out for enough cases to count (Sudan had 2 cases, 1 dead, anybody else has not clocked 100 cases -- though San Marino is pretty high for what it is mind you). Most others barely clear 1% and only Spain in the developed countries that are not Italy to go over 5% (the UK might end up there if this drags on for too much longer, and France still seems to have enough in the serious/critical column to tip it over). 11.7021276595745 does seem to be Algeria's percentage though with that from 94 cases).
None of that says how many were elderly and/or infirm either.

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going for the lies, damn lies and statistics approach are we?

On the site I clicked on the country graph and grabbed the numbers. Nice new column for Total deaths / Total cases * 100 because they care to tell me how many are still critical but not that. Nothing among the big numbers of cases seems close to that, Italy being the worst (assuming China is accurate of course, which I think we are doubting) at any major rate at 8.57489206950086%, Indonesia just edging it out for enough cases to count (Sudan had 2 cases, 1 dead, anybody else has not clocked 100 cases -- though San Marino is pretty high for what it is mind you). Most others barely clear 1% and only Spain in the developed countries that are not Italy to go over 5% (the UK might end up there if this drags on for too much longer, and France still seems to have enough in the serious/critical column to tip it over). 11.7021276595745 does seem to be Algeria's percentage though with that from 94 cases).
None of that says how many were elderly and/or infirm either.
While few people here have ever heard of Worldmeters, I'm fairly certain most have heard of Reuters. Their data that is slightly lagging behind, but is identical to where Worldmeters numbers were at earlier in the day, including the overall mortality rate among closed cases:

10%

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-MAP/0100B59S39E/index.html

Last edited by LumInvader,
Reactions: IncredulousP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While few people here have ever heard of Worldmeters, I'm fairly certain most have heard of Reuters. Their data that is slightly lagging behind, but is identical to where Worldmeters numbers were at earlier in the day, including the overall mortality rate among closed cases:

10%

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-MAP/0100B59S39E/index.html
I was not doubting worldmeters (was prepared to but assumed it was good for the purposes of that).

Still if we are using Reuters then going from their totals graph (can't be bothered to play with the spreadsheet right now)
Worldwide
254,762(+9,713) 89,945(+1,457) 10,451(+423)

10451/254762

That is
4.10226014869%

Again that is worldwide too. Pick various countries with decent healthcare and it is even better, though many cases are still active in a lot of those (Japan seems to be on the downswing and doing pretty well).

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was not doubting worldmeters (was prepared to but assumed it was good for the purposes of that).

Still if we are using Reuters then going from their totals graph (can't be bothered to play with the spreadsheet right now)
Worldwide
254,762(+9,713) 89,945(+1,457) 10,451(+423)

10451/254762

That is
4.10226014869%

Again that is worldwide too. Pick various countries with decent healthcare and it is even better, though many cases are still active in a lot of those (Japan seems to be on the downswing and doing pretty well).
If you scroll up, you'll notice I'm citing data from "closed cases" since those are the true measure of success or failure toward fighting this illness. Adding in patients who were just diagnosed today or yesterday shouldn't count as a success or failure. These new cases count toward the total figure, which is important for other reasons such as measuring the curve of the spread.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The difference between those numbers is also important as it will show how well healthcare is coping. This is why it's so important for people to follow the social distancing advice (even if they still think it's nonsense) as that percentage for cases with an outcome will continue to jump ahead of the overall deathrate as people start to die due to lack of resources.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you scroll up, you'll notice I'm citing data from "closed cases" since those are the true measure of success or failure toward fighting this illness. Adding in patients who were just diagnosed today or yesterday shouldn't count as a success or failure. These new cases count toward the total figure, which is important for other reasons such as measuring the curve of the spread.
When all is said and done then OK, most places that are not China (apparently) and maybe Japan with Iran maybe heading there as well seem to still be well the predominantly active/spread phase (don't know if we will see the second and third waves common in this sort of thing). Going back to the other source then there are a few places with a lot of critical cases (France for example) that could see it go higher.

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The difference between those numbers is also important as it will show how well healthcare is coping. This is why it's so important for people to follow the social distancing advice (even if they still think it's nonsense) as that percentage for cases with an outcome will continue to jump ahead of the overall deathrate as people start to die due to lack of resources.
Agreed. I do believe the current mortality rate (11%) will eventually come down since that number is being driven by a daily increase in total cases. It takes 2-3 weeks to get over Covid-19, but sadly, many of those who don't make it probably didn't make it that far. I also believe once the curve flattens and the mortality rate normalizes it'll be easier for scientists to make an estimation based on the rate of spread (r0) and applying it to existing data sets. Which means that the 11% figure we're seeing right now will likely go down, but may remain higher than the Spanish Flu (H1N1) figure from 1918.

Also of concern are the interviews I'm seeing from medical professionals claiming that the data out of China didn't accurately reflect the severity of the illness or the ages of those with serious infections. IIRC, China cited that 80% of their cases were mild, while in the US we're seeing half of those patients developing pneumonia which takes much longer than 14 days to recover from. Also, I've been hearing that half of those in US ICU are ages 65 and below, which suggests that this bug doesn't just prey on the old and sick.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also of concern are the interviews I'm seeing from medical professionals claiming that the data out of China didn't accurately reflect the severity of the illness or the ages of those with serious infections. IIRC, China cited that 80% of their cases were mild, while in the US we're seeing half of those patients developing pneumonia which takes much longer than 14 days to recover from. Also, I've been hearing that half of those in US ICU are ages 65 and below, which suggests that this bug doesn't just prey on the old and sick.
Yes. I saw an interview with a doctor in Holland who said that it was 50% below 70 in his hospital. He made it clear though that the outcomes were usually much better for the younger 50%. However, I'm not sure enough people realise that they are not magically immune because they're teenagers, and it's very easy for anyone of any age to end up hospitalised and if the service is struggling at that time it's going to be a bad experience.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes. I saw an interview with a doctor in Holland who said that it was 50% below 70 in his hospital. He made it clear though that the outcomes were usually much better for the younger 50%. However, I'm not sure enough people realise that they are not magically immune because they're teenagers, and it's very easy for anyone of any age to end up hospitalised and if the service is struggling at that time it's going to be a bad experience.

6% of young infected (including young kids) are suffering of grave symptoms from the virus, yes, youngs a more likely to not get symptoms or die, but 6% of them do, and eventually, die.

Theses scary numbers are provided by one of the most hit country, Italia.

They're taking a big hit but their numbers and analysis are crucial informations that we get.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Mortality rate of young people (<16-35) that I've seen in western countries is 0.2%. Number for people suffering from grave symptoms is about 2%. With a hospitalization rate of about 4% (only estimated 4% of people infected need hospitalization).

Thats in a 'working system' (so not too stressed, not overflown).

In my estimation 'young people also are affected' is a truism, to get idiots off the streets, when you try to curb the curve through curfews.

All those measures are only really effective if you can coordinate them. If you have a group of people playing 'invincible' on the beach, they still are very good carriers for infection.

I say 'young people are not immune' is mostly PR. But, also remember that young people get all the respirators. (In Italy situation has now escalated so far, that people above 60 dont get them at all (too few available).) So at least feel uneasy knowing, that you'll probably be fine. ;)

Sick vs. cured percentages probably can't be sensibly used, because the estimated number of unreported cases is so high, and at the same time a higher percentage of people with preexisting conditions might die earlier, but then not be available to die later on. And once you are dying, you are more likely to get tested.. ;)

Mortality rate will fluctuate though, because of the exponential nature of the distribution. Its very hard to know 'where in the curve' you are at any given point. F.e. lets say curfews bring down new infections, while death rate still stays stable for a while (people already infected), that also would hike up relative deathrate (delay). So extrapolating from percentages at any given point to "the risk for the entire population" is very hard.

Basically you cant just look at one or two statistics, you need models. So look those up if you are interested.

edit: Some stats: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18...of-risk-confirms-young-adults-not-invincible/
(Really just one of the first articles sourced via google search for corona deathrate by age.)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Upon trying to wrap my head around this again-
- Number of people cured (measured) in the same timeframe should be by a disproportionate factor lower than people getting over it in the general public.
- Low test availability plays a significant role in this as well.

Structurally so, because lets say test capabilities increase roughly linearly, but the virus spreads on an exponential curve, at some trajectory of the exponential curve you can only test linearly more people every day, but the death toll still rises exponentially. Hence 'measured' deathrate rises, over people testedly getting over it (People more likely to get tested, when they show, heavier symptoms/are in danger of dying). But actual one doesnt (if hospitals f.e. still are operational).

Basically the "people getting better" number is useless, and only part of statistics, to give people an easy emotional thing thats bigger, to latch on.

Any statistic using that as a reference should be pretty useless.

Instead you probably are operating with "compared to previous quarters" numbers of increases of deaths vs. overall population, look at the current estimated case number and progression rate in your country, and extrapolate from there.

Why do I have to be math guy. I'm bad at math. Someone else be math guy. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Vatican just indicated that there will/can be a general absolution for corona.

So you know, that you only can go to heaven if your sins are forgiven by a priest in confession?

For corona priests now get the option to forgive your sins, without confession. They have to ask their bishop though. "Before, or shortly after". ;)

To get complete absolution in the face of Corona Virus, it is sufficient if the people being infected by it, their caretakers and their relatives, as well as people in quarantine speak out the catholic statements of belief (creed), one Lords Prayer (Our Father) and one Virgin Mary prayer.
Always good to know the logistics.. ;) (Shortage of priests in italy. ;) )

src: https://www.vaticannews.va/de/vatik...prechung-poenitentiarie-vollkommen-dekre.html (German) via fefe

Last edited by notimp,

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nearly 15k people have died of this disease. We're still in the early phase. The next few months are going to be shut.

If you count in people who die because of other reasons since you can't get a hospital bed and care in Italy for instance the number will be way bigger than that.

And there are people still defending it's 'hysteria'.

Last edited by phalk,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here you see the issue with projected deathrate meeting linear testing availability:

bUgdua1.png

src: https://www.trackcorona.live/
(line graph)

If you see the recovered curve always progress linearly, you know that something is up. ;) (too few tests available and unequally distributed)

Otherwise 'recovered' curve is just lagging in exponentiality by about 10+ days. ;)

I've seen many versions of that graph, where people recovered are just added on top of the confirmed infection line for whatever reason. :)

Reactions: LumInvader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.bcuninstaller.com/ +1