• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Ohio Railroad Disaster Situation

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...ic-chemicals-raises-railroad-safety-questions
Basically if you haven't heard it. Toxic chemicals + Train+ reduced regulation= massive problem

If you don't remember, there was a railroad strike, and part of the reason that strike happened, was for, you guessed it, ensuring that the trains were up to code.

Corporations, pushed what was supposed to be a 3 per car minute check, and rushed it into a 90 seconds per car check.
Which congress interfered, at the behest of those corporations to shutdown the strike.

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
  • Haha
Reactions: bazamuffin

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Just to add to the pile, another one just dropped:

90bV0wa.jpg

America, you OK?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just to add to the pile, another one just dropped:

90bV0wa.jpg

America, you OK?
We need an emergency rail transport safety bill to fix this shit, but the cynic in me says it would take at least ten back-to-back disasters to spur the current congress to action. This is just the tip of the iceberg too, we have a ton of roads and bridges very close to fully collapsing.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember that time when the rail workers tried to strike, but then Biden made it illegal to go on strike? Oh wait, that was 2 months ago. lol

My friend lives around 17 miles away from there, and she's pretty freaked out about the whole thing. I would be too, if I lived that close.

Here's a fun pic. Burning toxic stuff is sure fun, and nothing can possibly go wrong.
146gjgxhqdia1.jpg

Last edited by Viri,
Reactions: TraderPatTX

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Norfolk Southern tried to offer the over 5,000 residents of East Palestine $25,000 in reimbursement, that's a whopping $5 each. Almost more insulting than offering nothing. I hope they sue for $10 million apiece, because they're all gonna develop cancer within the next few years, and the only way these corporations learn a lesson is if losses are greater than profits for the year.

Last edited by Xzi,

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Norfolk Southern hired the same company, CTEH, to test water, soil, and air. This same company was on the scene in Louisiana after the Deepwater Horizon spill, a flood of toxic coal ash smothered central Tennessee in 2008, and defective drywall plagued Florida homeowners saying everything was fine.

So this company full of known liars are working unimpeded. No reporting from the corporate billionaire owned media and not a single government agency are enforcing current regulations.

In 2010, Congressional Democrats pressured BP to fire CTEH from the Deepwater Horizon spill. They claimed the company had a "long pattern of tainted results." But now, there is silence from many of those same Democrats and the entire Biden administration.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No reporting from the corporate billionaire owned media
You might want to actually check to see if this is the case before copy-pasting it into every single one of your comments. This disaster was reported on by all national news outlets like two days ago.

not a single government agency are enforcing current regulations.
What regulations? Republicans and corporate Dems have been working hard to deregulate everything over the last several decades, particularly anything related to environmental protections or worker safety.

But now, there is silence from many of those same Democrats and the entire Biden administration.
Ohio governor Mike DeWine rejected federal assistance offered from the Biden administration because, in his own words, he's "not seeing any problems."

I do agree that Buttigieg was slow to respond to the whole thing though. He's always struck me as being far too much of a two-faced neolib.

Last edited by Xzi,

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
You might want to actually check to see if this is the case before copy-pasting it into every single one of your comments. This disaster was reported on by all national news outlets like two days ago.
It was delayed and blocked it should of been covered immediately. But to make a better point. Nor was any conservative news outlets covering it either. Independent Journalists (not tied to a media corperation) were being arrested for trying to cover it at the corporations behest.
Post automatically merged:

Additionally one of the news outlets that did cover it first initially. (Out of the spanking... Two articles that existed when I last checked. One from CNN, and the other from... Can't seem to remember it. It was an outlet known to be pretty corrupt outside of fox news. )
Downplayed the danger of the chemicals leaking into the river. Saying that it would somehow just... Dissipate in the water because its a big body of water and so people are safe... While on the next fucking paragraph mentioning how the aquatic wild life is dying rapidly on the region because of the water being not safe.

and not a single government agency are enforcing current regulations.
Or congress person. When biden got involved. Not a single congress person on either side of the isle spoke out to stop it.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are reporting lies and covering up how serious it is. That's not reporting. That's spreading propaganda.
What regulations? Republicans and corporate Dems have been working hard to deregulate everything over the last several decades, particularly anything related to environmental protections or worker safety.
What regulations that have been removed would have prevented this?
Ohio governor Mike DeWine rejected federal assistance offered from the Biden administration because, in his own words, he's "not seeing any problems."
Well, he's a weak RINO governor. Compare to DeSantis after the hurricane.
I do agree that Buttigieg was slow to respond to the whole thing though. He's always struck me as being far too much of a two-faced neolib.
Seems like ever since he took office, our transportation infrastructure has fallen apart. Starting with the supply line, Amtrak delays with trains stuck out in the middle of nowhere for over a day, airline delays, foreign balloons crossing our airspace, and now this. I'd hate to see him as DOD Secretary. Is he on maternity leave again, because honestly, I can't tell when he's working and when he's not working.

It was delayed and blocked it should of been covered immediately. But to make a better point. Nor was any conservative news outlets covering it either. Independent Journalists (not tied to a media corperation) were being arrested for trying to cover it at the corporations behest.

Additionally one of the news outlets that did cover it first initially. (Out of the spanking... Two articles that existed when I last checked. One from CNN, and the other from... Can't seem to remember it. It was an outlet known to be pretty corrupt outside of fox news. )
Downplayed the danger of the chemicals leaking into the river. Saying that it would somehow just... Dissipate in the water because its a big body of water and so people are safe... While on the next fucking paragraph mentioning how the aquatic wild life is dying rapidly on the region because of the water being not safe.

Or congress person. When biden got involved. Not a single congress person on either side of the isle spoke out to stop it.
You are the last person on this entire forum who I would have guessed would start to understand the uniparty and their corporate media enablers. I get 95% of my news from citizen journalists. They are not always right, but they admit when they are wrong without resorting to stealth edits that average people do not see. They also get labeled as conspiracy theorist, which is a CIA created label to stomp out any free thought about the JFK assassination.

This is probably the worst ecological disaster in US history and it is being misreported and covered up. People will start dying and farms and rivers are being poisoned. It's crazy that no environmental groups have really spoken up about this disaster or the Nordstream 2 bombing releasing tons of natural gas into the atmosphere every hour of every day. At least we are seeing people show their true colors.

Last edited by TraderPatTX,

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
You are the last person on this entire forum who I would have guessed would start to understand the uniparty and their corporate media enablers. I get 95% of my news from citizen journalists.
Not your ally, at least until you pull yourself out.
The "independents" your pull from your news are linked to far right media companies, and or right wing party outright. They don't actually care about getting the information right outside of trying to spin the information.
You think your out of uniparty. But your not.

(and I'm pulling this overplayed card, but I actually know the contents because it was one of the good things I was given as mandatory reading in my school)
It's like 1984, at least in idea. Where the protagonist at one point does a mission believing that he is trying to stop big brother (if I recall correctly, it was reading and sharing a book). When in reality, the government/big brother, had set him up to expose himself.
This is probably the worst ecological disaster in US history and it is being misreported and covered up. People will start dying and farms and rivers are being poisoned.
For once you made a somewhat factually correct statement. Perhaps not "the worst" but still one of the worst.
It's crazy that no environmental groups
If were talking government agencies. Then your correct. If we're talking about advocacy groups, then you'd be wrong.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in Northeast Ohio and while I'm a few hours drive from the crash site, I still saw a clear contamination in the rain droplets. They are far dirtier than normal and left splotches on everything as of it were raining mud.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The train crash from Netflix's White Noise (2022) movie looks creepily identical to the real one.

Was the movie good? Imo, no. Just a pretentious movie trying to be a Wes Anderson production / Coen Brothers clone.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...ic-chemicals-raises-railroad-safety-questions
Basically if you haven't heard it. Toxic chemicals + Train+ reduced regulation= massive problem

If you don't remember, there was a railroad strike, and part of the reason that strike happened, was for, you guessed it, ensuring that the trains were up to code.

Corporations, pushed what was supposed to be a 3 per car minute check, and rushed it into a 90 seconds per car check.
Which congress interfered, at the behest of those corporations to shutdown the strike.

to add cherries on top those idiots even purposely incinerated the remain tanks subsequently released even more toxic waste into air, soil and water, how those "PROs" so unprofessional? Guess they really hate that place and want to screw hard local farmers and citizens?

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not your ally, at least until you pull yourself out.
The "independents" your pull from your news are linked to far right media companies, and or right wing party outright. They don't actually care about getting the information right outside of trying to spin the information.
You think your out of uniparty. But your not.
At least my sources haven't lied about Russian collusion, Alfa bank, Hunter's laptop, Jussie Smollet, the Nascar noose. None of those stories have ever been corrected or retracted. You can continue to lick billionaires boots and let them feed you what you want to hear, that's your business.
(and I'm pulling this overplayed card, but I actually know the contents because it was one of the good things I was given as mandatory reading in my school)
It's like 1984, at least in idea. Where the protagonist at one point does a mission believing that he is trying to stop big brother (if I recall correctly, it was reading and sharing a book). When in reality, the government/big brother, had set him up to expose himself.

For once you made a somewhat factually correct statement. Perhaps not "the worst" but still one of the worst.

If were talking government agencies. Then your correct. If we're talking about advocacy groups, then you'd be wrong.
I also solved your little scenario that you promptly ignored for four days now.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhe5d1WED8