The PlayStation Classic relies on the open source PS1 emulator PCSX ReARMed to play its games

VTUZpMa.png

Classic and mini versions of retro game systems have become popular to release onto the market, including the recently announced PlayStation Classic. With a very basic UI, and the chosen lineup of 20 games, many fans were disappointed and claimed that Sony's attempt at a plug and play throwback console was low effort. Complaints only furthered when it was revealed that Sony wasn't creating or reusing their own PlayStation 1 emulator for the Classic, like they had done with the PSP's POPS emulator, or with the PSP emulator that was found within the PlayStation 4 remaster of Parappa, or the emulated PlayStation 2 classic titles on the PlayStation 4 as well. Instead, Sony has opted use an emulator made by the public: PCSX ReARMed. At an event showing off the upcoming hardware, previewers were able to try out the PlayStation Classic, and found a menu listing stating that it uses open-source software, including PCSX ReARMed.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

Turns out they didnt

Literally the moment I first heard about the non controversy in a YouTube video I was waiting for them to say "maybe Nintendo just used the same method" they didn't so I posted in the comments that the video cites no evidence Nintendo didn't use the same method.

It was quite obviously a clickbait article and I tried telling you, internet.

Last edited by ,

phreaksho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are going to eat this up.. I'll pick it up at a yard sale or something.. Probably not tho because I still have my original ps1 and it works like a charm.... Also my ps2 plays ps1, and my ps3 ... ..... And just about all my other consoles, computers, mobile devices can play this stuff so I'm not too concerned about it at all i guess.. :glare:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
But they are making a profit from an open source project that they didn't make.
I mean, I'm not going to buy it, but considering the emulator was originally designed to play games that were made/published by Sony, they probably deserve a pass on this. OTOH I think profiting from emulation is illegal unless you're just taking donations.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
I mean, I'm not going to buy it, but considering the emulator was originally designed to play games that were made/published by Sony, they probably deserve a pass on this. OTOH I think profiting from emulation is illegal unless you're just taking donations.
I agree that SONY should get a pass, but its still shitty for them sell others work.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
PCSX-ReARMed is licensed under GNU GPL v2, which means it can be used in any commercial project so long as you display the license, and if you make any changes to the source code you disclose those changes. Not illegal in any way whatsoever.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
PCSX-ReARMed is licensed under GNU GPL v2, which means it can be used in any commercial project so long as you display the license, and if you make any changes to the source code you disclose those changes. Not illegal in any way whatsoever.
fair enough

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Couldn't the devs troll Sony by pulling open source status and making a copyright complaint?

Also personally, wouldn't buy something like this knowing it has community made emulator. Not only could I get the emulator for free and just buy the games I want and rip them. But there's no guarantee that a free community project will work as well as an official emulator which the company built and tested and deemed fit for market.

Having used an emulator which couldn't boot Megaman X3 in the past, I can't avoid feeling skeptical about the quality of this product.
you could say something similar for about any free product that goes for a paid route later.
cave story for example, it's still a freeware on pc, but is also available for a price. well the difference is in the licensing, cave story follows a standard licensing while sony is following GPL. but is essentially the same thing, you can go free or pay.

and pcsx-rearmed can play megaman x3 no problem, as long as you have a proper dump, the game needs all the cd tracks to get pass the first loading screen.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Couldn't the devs troll Sony by pulling open source status and making a copyright complaint?

Also personally, wouldn't buy something like this knowing it has community made emulator. Not only could I get the emulator for free and just buy the games I want and rip them. But there's no guarantee that a free community project will work as well as an official emulator which the company built and tested and deemed fit for market.

Having used an emulator which couldn't boot Megaman X3 in the past, I can't avoid feeling skeptical about the quality of this product.
AFAIK, if you release something under the GPL license, you can't un-release it or remove the license. It's quite restrictive in that sense. As for quality, I'd assume they tested the games on the emulator to make sure they work properly.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or buy an OrangePi, maybe? I'm actually curious what the cheapest SBC that'd run all the games at 60fps. I don't think most of the H3 based OrangePis qualify, but I've not seen good testing done on most SBCs to verify such a thing.

SBCs are actually getting more powerful lately. There's the UDOO Bolt, ODroid is coming out with a new board that can play up to the Wii, then there's the LattePanda Alpha that can take smaller dedicated video cards. I didn't think the day would come where we'd be seeing such performance on small devices so soon!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Goes to show Sony loves to be as lazy as possible. They're too lazy to even alter the emulator's code :lol:

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh my fucking God this is getting ridiculous.

Do you people circlejerking in this thread NOT know what fucking "open source" means?

The code they used for the emulator could be modified and sold as anyone please. It's literally the equivalent of making a LEGO copy of some random item and then posting the how-to online.

But no, Sony is now a "thief" for using an open source emulator used to emulate their own fucking system. Right. Sony bad, EA bad, ooga booga. Upboats to the left.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my fucking God this is getting ridiculous.

Do you people circlejerking in this thread NOT know what fucking "open source" means?

The code they used for the emulator could be modified and sold as anyone please. It's literally the equivalent of making a LEGO copy of some random item and then posting the how-to online.

But no, Sony is now a "thief" for using an open source emulator used to emulate their own fucking system. Right. Sony bad, EA bad, ooga booga. Upboats to the left.

No, not bad, just too damn lazy and stupid to use their own emulator.

Reactions: zfreeman

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
So, not only did they steal every one of Nintendo's ideas up to this point, they wholesale stole open source work to make a commercial product.

Is it any wonder, that i have such an axe to grind with Sony when they continue to be financially successful in spite of doing such blatantly unethical shit like this?

I will agree that Sony are not saints, they never were but all companies become dicks from time to time. Nintendo is the biggest dick in the industry right now in my opinion at least looking at it from a consumer-friendly position. Sony knows this product is not for the hardcore retro gamers so they rightfully assume that the biggest percentage of buyers will be happy with the crap they put out. Come to think of it, even the nes & snes minis that are largely regarded as 'good' have more lag than acceptable for fast games, people still bought them for double and triple the price lol.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Turns out they didnt

Thank You for that post.

X3 does run on unofficial and official emulator on PS3. I got it to run by merging all the audio tracks and creating a single iso file. It keeps it neat instead of having a bunch of separate files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F