• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The U.S. is more dangerously divided than any other wealthy democracy. Is there a way back from the brink? (Yascha Mounk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't like the taste of your own medicine? Cry moar, hypocrite.

Hey, @mituzora, found a hypocrite for you. Let's see if you have actual principles, unless you too are a hypocrite.
See you misunderstand, I don't care about people editing my posts. You however always soapbox about it like it's a big deal. Why?

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TraderPatTX , I'll play ball with you on the topic of gender - I'll make a deal with you; I'm going to refrain from lumping you in with 'the right' or boxing you up in general for this.

I do want to understand what exactly you object to and why. I know I've thrown you shade previously, but I'm gonna try a different approach and try to refrain from 'dunk' style posts and try to see if I can better understand your position and see where we ultimately are thinking differently.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but it looks to me like you don't reject etymological changes, but that you reject the underlying premise behind the changes being talking about.

That premise being: adjusting our view on gender from purely physical in regards to sex, to cultural or attitudinal characteristics distinctive to the sexes.

Did I sum up your point? Please feel free to correct that or add an addendum if I missed something.

Edit - I'm not sure if we can say this is tangentially on topic for this thread, but I'm okay with moving it if needed.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TraderPatTX , I'll play ball with you on the topic of gender - I'll make a deal with you; I'm going to refrain from lumping you in with 'the right' or boxing you up in general for this.

I do want to understand what exactly you object to and why. I know I've thrown you shade previously, but I'm gonna try a different approach and try to refrain from 'dunk' style posts and try to see if I can better understand your position and see where we ultimately are thinking differently.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but it looks to me like you don't reject etymological changes, but that you reject the underlying premise behind the changes being talking about.

That premise being: adjusting our view on gender from purely physical in regards to sex, to cultural or attitudinal characteristics distinctive to the sexes.

Did I sum up your point? Please feel free to correct that or add an addendum if I missed something.

Edit - I'm not sure if we can say this is tangentially on topic for this thread, but I'm okay with moving it if needed.
Ill sum it up for you.....

Pro-Life V.S. Pro-Choice and who is shity and a hypocrite... basicly this thread is shit.... but then again its a creamu thread

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ill sum it up for you.....

Pro-Life V.S. Pro-Choice and who is shity and a hypocrite... basicly this thread is shit.... but then again its a creamu thread
My goal here is understanding. Don't get me wrong, I love dunk posts as much as the rest of you, just check my post history.

If I'm trying to really debate/discuss/explore something, though, I prefer the Socratic route so we don't have to spend too much energy refuting assumptions - especially with topics like this one. Makes for more interesting conversation, too imo.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See you misunderstand, I don't care about people editing my posts. You however always soapbox about it like it's a big deal. Why?
I don't like people changing my words. It doesn't matter that you don't care. That's called projection and you do it all the time.

I write words with intent behind them. You changing my words is you trying to change my intent. It's deceitful, disingenuous, and only makes you look untrustworthy. So unless you are 12, you should know better.

It's pretty stupid that the quote feature allows others to alter that text to begin with. I expect more from a tech site.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The topic of this thread is pretty broad so I don't think you need to be worried about that.

However, I don't remember speaking of gender in this thread or in any other thread on here. If I have, I'm sure somebody will be more than happy to prove me wrong.

The reason why I try not to comment on gender is because I don't really care what people imagine what they are. I'm too old to play dressup or make-believe, especially with grown adults, and I'm not about to start changing my normal language that I've been speaking since I first started talking decades ago to appease people's delicate sensitivities.

But if all of you want to play dressup and make-believe on your own, have fun. I have adult things to worry about like inflation, gas prices, a human trafficker in the White House, the collapse of the banking system and fiat currency and rising crime. People are actually physically suffering at the hands of our uniparty government so if there are people out there that believe their perceived gender is a priority in their life, it just goes to show how privileged their life is.

I thank you for coming at me like an adult. I haven't had too many intelligent conversations here since it's the same 5 trolls who respond to my every comment (I kinda think they want me). I really appreciate a well thought out and even keeled comment that I can intelligently respond to. I hope others take note.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if all of you want to play dressup and make-believe on your own, have fun. I have adult things to worry about like inflation, gas prices, a human trafficker in the White House, the collapse of the banking system and fiat currency and rising crime. People are actually physically suffering at the hands of our uniparty government so if there are people out there that believe their perceived gender is a priority in their life, it just goes to show how privileged their life is.
This is why I love calling you a coping weirdo because it's like, no one who isn't extremely insecure thinks that trans and other GNC people EXCLUSIVELY care about gender identity as an issue and none whatsoever. I've always been curious why stupid people have to fabricate people to soapbox about issues with. If you truly cared about the "uniparty" (lmao) you would actually be able to criticize it and listen to the criticism that comes from people on the left. You, for example, do not criticize the party for manufacturing consent, or creating issues specifically to drum up support for them with. You also exclusively spend your time here whining about "the left" relative to the Democrat party, even though they A) aren't left, and B) aren't active enough to justify demonization, and yet whenever the right misbehaves you are completely silent in criticizing them.

The fact of the matter is, you don't care about these issues, you just want to look like you do, for the sake of appearances. Don't worry though, everyone sees through it.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The topic of this thread is pretty broad so I don't think you need to be worried about that.

However, I don't remember speaking of gender in this thread or in any other thread on here. If I have, I'm sure somebody will be more than happy to prove me wrong.

The reason why I try not to comment on gender is because I don't really care what people imagine what they are. I'm too old to play dressup or make-believe, especially with grown adults, and I'm not about to start changing my normal language that I've been speaking since I first started talking decades ago to appease people's delicate sensitivities.

I thank you for coming at me like an adult. I haven't had too many intelligent conversations here since it's the same 5 trolls who respond to my every comment (I kinda think they want me). I really appreciate a well thought out and even keeled comment that I can intelligently respond to. I hope others take note.
Oh, I saw the definitions and and false narrative comments and interpreted that as a rejection of:

Adjusting our view on gender from purely physical in regards to sex, to cultural or attitudinal characteristics distinctive to the sexes.

For sake of argument though, would you accept or reject this change in view of gender?

*Edited for clarity

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't like the taste of your own medicine? Cry moar, hypocrite.

Hey, @mituzora, found a hypocrite for you. Let's see if you have actual principles, unless you too are a hypocrite.
You asked me why I was still here, so I left. You @'d me so, here I am. but on the subject of changing people's quotes, you both did it, but when she did it back to you, you got super bent out of shape, don't dish out what you can't take yourself. How is this hypocritical when you both did it to each other, so in that regard, neither of you are better than one or the other. At this point, you two are just going back and forth with each other. Let me ask you this, why is it hypocritical when she does it, but it's okay when you do it? are you willing to call yourself a hypocrite for doing the same thing? Not bashing here, a legitimate question. I do think quote changing and then bashing each other over nothing is childish on both fronts.

You're RIght, I am going to say something, because you asked me to define woman, and then got bent out of shape when I said assumptions are okay, assuming you were attempting to make a point. If you don't care about people calling themselves different genders, that's kinda not okay, but it's your provocative, and it's not that big of a problem as long as you aren't being a dick about it. You don't have to accept something to tolerate it, and please if there is someone using a gender reassignment as to justify problematic behaviors., by all means, call them out, because that causes problems for the people who really do feel like a different gender. They're the reason why there's so many people who have problems with gender reassignment as a whole, and frankly I have issues with it too. I personally accept people going by a different gender than assigned at birth, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call them out for being a toxic person.

I'd gladly talk to you in a regular, non heated conversation. But when you get heated yourself, it's hard for me to have said conversation. Hopefully I've made that clear with my interactions with you outside of the political posts. My first post on this thread was not heated, minus the "microaggression" of stating that you were projecting. You don't want me to come at you heated? don't reply back to me with a heated response and then questioning a bunch of definitions to fit your narrative of bad left people not being able to make definitions. Sorry if you don't think I can't have a logical conversation with you.

back on the subject, I agree with you, this is why the country is so divided, because no matter what side you're on, one person can say something the opposite of your beliefs, and the other person immediately sees red, starts bashing, and refuses to listen. I definitely know I am guilty of this too. I think this is exasperated with the last decade of social media addiction and algorithms built to push the hateful rhetoric. honestly if we met in person, we'd probably get along just fine as I get along just fine with people that have completely differing opinions to my own, but for some reason the internet likes to take those opinions and turn them to 11.

edit: back on the gender subject; there's a really good episode of South Park called the Death camp for Tolerance which addresses this to an extent. It's still pretty topical and I think it's incredibly important to watch for both sides. If you haven't seen it, It's an amazing episode and I would advise you to watch through it if you want.

Last edited by mituzora,

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
Because right and left in the US are generally divided in the middle.
False. There is a large section of people who likely are left leaning. But don't vote due to disenfranchisement. Most of the country is left leaning at this point. And I say left very loosely here, including left of or including Democrats which is moderate right.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
False. There is a large section of people who likely are left leaning. But don't vote due to disenfranchisement. Most of the country is left leaning at this point. And I say left very loosely here, including left of or including Democrats which is moderate right.
"Likely".

GTFO

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
"Likely".

GTFO
It's just a statement of fact. I say likely because basing off of evidence that is not yet proven, but using evidence relating to the subject to infer what it would be.

To explain what I mean. We don't know what every persons opinion is, left or right leaning. However, we can infer by just one major proven factor
population density. In more dense areas, people are more left leaning. There's more people living in cities than rual areas. As result, likely being left leaning just under that one correlation.
However, while it is a inference, that doesn't make it fact. Because if I said "most people are left leaning" that would be factually wrong. Hence the probability statement thrown in. Making it factual to say. There's not much to prove other wise.

now why your getting so bent out of shape over the term "likely" and not explaining why, well, I got a few guess as to why.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,
  • Haha
Reactions: City
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSORc_3_Yw